Religion Is Not The Root Of All Evil...

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Religion is not the root of all evil...
Religion is not the root of all evil...
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-10-21 18:25:57  
Root of all evil?! Religion is obviously not the root of all evil. Such statement is ridiculous and as a matter of fact, close to nothing in this universe is the exclusive root of anything in particular. I’ve often come across this saying in my discussions about what religion does to people, why it bothers many of us who don’t believe any of it and most importantly, how we can accelerate its slow but steady demise (at least in the western world). So we know how diverse religions can be. They can't all possibly have been created with evil intentions. But organized religion makes evil (and quite a few times good too...) very easy to spread and cultivate since it tells people that truth does not need to be backed by concrete, logical facts to be true. It doesn't incite people to put themselves and their beliefs back into question. It's a lot of mostly unprovable statements presented as solid facts (sometimes fallaciously claimed to be proven) since your birthday. You're used to it because it's been artificially made part of your reality.

Doubt, in most successful religions, is considered a mere moment of weakness... when in reality, it has consistently shown to be the very basis of wisdom. Faith allows people who don't know all the answers to think that they do. It is usually not a choice you make, since you get labeled with it from the day you're born. As absurd as it can be when we stop to ponder over it, we’ve generally become accustomed to such words as “Christian child”, “Muslim child”, etc. This labeling allows wars to continue over centuries, simply because atheist babies were unknowingly assigned an opinion about existential *** they probably shouldn't have had to care about until 20.

Unless you're lucky enough to be confronted with many conflicting ideas as a teenager, and develop some critical thinking abilities by yourself, chances are you'll just spend the rest of your life, babbling logical fallacies one after another, unable to acknowledge even the most logically demonstrable arguments. You’ll prefer to dismiss facts when they make you uncomfortable. Greek philosophy probably wasn't your favorite subject in college. Aristotle is not your homeboy; Jesus (who says if you don't accept him you'll die and by the way he loves you) is.

Root of all evil? Not really... But it is often used on people as a tool for spreading it. I’m sure you can think of many examples from your own beliefs, whether they be religious beliefs or not, when you have acted irrationally, because of things you had learned but never thought about. Realizing this later, you came to the conclusion that your old point of view (most likely the one you were taught as a child) needed to be adjusted to the modern world you live in. That's called critical thinking. Congratulations if so. See? You can do it too!

You know what... Religion will not die tomorrow, it just doesn't need to die now. Just as much as China doesn't need to become a democracy tomorrow. Keep your religion if it makes you feel good, safe, comforted, but please do yourself a favor and think about how not questioning it can affect your reasoning capabilities. Hopefully, religion will improve rather than regress, and whatever it is called when it does improve, whether it still even is religion or has become raw philosophy, it will definitely be for the better.

Edit:

I'm not that much interested in discussing religion as I have done it a lot and there are other things I like to do too. I did compose this as the ideas came and thought I'd share it with FFXIAH as well (there are some smart people here). I think it reflects that I am able to change my mind and adapt my opinions by listening to people of different backgrounds. If you care to read, please do so. If you care to discuss it, please do so. Please do not hate me for only posting this and abandoning the discussion. I've made it a new thread mostly for visibility. And if that's not okay, please feel free to delete it.

If you genuinely want to discuss of it with me, feel free to PM me, I like interesting and polite debates.
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-10-21 18:26:28  
In before shitstorm/9 pages.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-10-21 18:27:10  
Stop it!

[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-10-21 18:28:35  
Fairy.Spence said:
Stop it!

No! :)
 Phoenix.Excelior
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 18:28:51  
Ok lets get one thing clear:

There are three types of people:

1. Those who believe in religion
2. Those who do not.
3. Those who are on the fence.

The first and second types YOU WILL NOT PURSUADE TO CHANGE THEIR MIND.

The third type is TOO STUPID TO MAKE UP THEIR MIND.

Conclusion:

You can't change anyone's mind so stfu with religion threads.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-21 18:28:55  
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-10-21 18:29:14  
Oh its another one of your rag on religion threads.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-10-21 18:31:02  
Shockingly--as per these forums--I think you may have just been able to talk about religion without trying to start a flame war.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-21 18:31:35  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ok lets get one thing clear:

There are three types of people:

1. Those who believe in religion
2. Those who do not.
3. Those who are on the fence.

The first and second types YOU WILL NOT PURSUADE TO CHANGE THEIR MIND.

The third type is TOO STUPID TO MAKE UP THEIR MIND.

Conclusion:

You can't change anyone's mind so stfu with religion threads.

Immature statement. Being indecisive isn't anything to do with stupidity.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-10-21 18:32:14  
Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Shockingly--as per these forums--I think you may have just been able to talk about religion without trying to start a flame war.

He/She has started a number of these threads. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make links to save everyone the trouble of actually posting, because it's all been said before many times.
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2010-10-21 18:32:22  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
:D
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-21 18:33:18  
Zombie thread? Zombie thread.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 18:33:33  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ok lets get one thing clear: There are three types of people: 1. Those who believe in religion 2. Those who do not. 3. Those who are on the fence. The first and second types YOU WILL NOT PURSUADE TO CHANGE THEIR MIND. The third type is TOO STUPID TO MAKE UP THEIR MIND. Conclusion: You can't change anyone's mind so stfu with religion threads.

Uhh, Yes it does. Are the facts about religion changing? No. Make a conclusion or admit you're too stupid to make up your mind.
 Phoenix.Oumura
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2010-10-21 18:33:38  
As someone said in another thread, one of the plethora of answers is humanity. We are our savior, and our own demise.
[+]
 Ramuh.Scizor
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2010-10-21 18:33:40  
Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Stuff no one cares about

For *** sake why you do you keep making these stupid threads? Grow up already
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-21 18:35:08  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ok lets get one thing clear: There are three types of people: 1. Those who believe in religion 2. Those who do not. 3. Those who are on the fence. The first and second types YOU WILL NOT PURSUADE TO CHANGE THEIR MIND. The third type is TOO STUPID TO MAKE UP THEIR MIND. Conclusion: You can't change anyone's mind so stfu with religion threads.

Uhh, Yes it does. Are the facts about religion changing? No. Make a conclusion or admit you're too stupid to make up your mind.

So your openly saying all Agnostic people are stupid?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-10-21 18:35:25  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

I would rather think that perspective plays a major role in one's decision. And not having made a decision yet could imply that you are very careful about such an life-impacting choice.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-21 18:36:23  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

what facts?
and in regards to the OP:
just seems like a good old RANT RANT RANT.
you didn't want to discuss anything.
i was raised atheist, tried christianity from around 13-15, decided it wasn't for me at 15 because I wasn't being honest with myself.
After that rather than focusing on something as morbid as the afterlife I focused on my life, my values, what I didn't agree with and what I agreed with.
I can't back something that I can't be sincere with, sadly religion is something I'm not going to have sincerity for, not how I was raised or how I learned. I'd rather not say I'm on the fence, I'm more on the "I am young, I live in the present and I don't give a ***about the afterlife"
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-21 18:38:26  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

I would rather think that perspective plays a major role in one's decision. And not having made a decision yet could imply that you are very careful about such an life-impacting choice.

Pretty much this.
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-10-21 18:38:56  
Religion threads go round and round and round, annoy everyone, and get nowhere. Just like this:

There is also this to consider:

[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-10-21 18:39:00  
Excelior has all the answers!

What should I believe?!
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 18:39:15  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Religion is a lot like politics. You either believe or you don't. If you're christian denying jesus means you go to hell. You can't 50% believe in jesus, you either do or you don't. Almost all religion leaves no room for being on the fence. There isn't a single religion where you do not have to swear your loyalty to god in order go to heaven. If you only 50% believe in god then you get the same benefits as if you only 0% believed in god. There is no middle ground, make up your *** mind. This is just like those people who are undecided voters. GOSH, I just can't decide if I'm a republican or a democrat today. The issues don't change, the facts don't change, either acknowledge the facts and make a decision or choose to be indecisive and let somebody smarter than you make a decision IE. be stupid.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-10-21 18:40:26  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Religion is a lot like politics. You either believe or you don't.

I stopped right there.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-21 18:41:39  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Religion is a lot like politics. You either believe or you don't. If you're christian denying jesus means you go to hell. You can't 50% believe in jesus, you either do or you don't. Almost all religion leaves no room for being on the fence. There isn't a single religion where you do not have to swear your loyalty to god in order go to heaven. If you only 50% believe in god then you get the same benefits as if you only 0% believed in god. There is no middle ground, make up your *** mind. This is just like those people who are undecided voters. GOSH, I just can't decide if I'm a republican or a democrat today. The issues don't change, the facts don't change, either acknowledge the facts and make a decision or choose to be indecisive and let somebody smarter than you make a decision IE. be stupid.
you see things waaaay to black and white.

1. religious belief
2. atheistic belief
3. agnostic belief
4. I don't give a ***either way, I do what I want when I want and how I want belief.
I define my reality, you do not.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-21 18:42:41  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
you see things waaaay to black and white. 1. religious belief 2. atheistic belief 3. agnostic belief 4. I don't give a ***either way, I do what I want when I want and how I want belief. I define my reality, you do not.

Ok then you've made a choice. I'm glad you're smart enough to make a choice for yourself and I don't think you're stupid. If you're waiting there for somebody else to give you the answers because you can't make a choice for yourself then I'd say you were stupid.
 Sylph.Oddin
サーバ: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-21 18:44:07  
Threads about religion are the root of all evil.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-21 18:45:38  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

wat.

I simply don't know whether there is a higher power or not, therefore I wouldn't put myself on either side. Both religious and atheistic arguments have viable counter points and I'm open to both. That doesn't make me stupid, it just makes me open to both sides of the argument. Going to heaven or hell is a moot point, we're talking about core belief of a higher power, not any eternal rewards from being part of a certain religion.
 Ramuh.Scizor
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2010-10-21 18:46:04  
Psyence is just trolling, make a thread that will get a reaction then walk away...time to add it to my block list!
[+]
 Asura.Ebry
サーバ: Asura
user: Ebry
By Asura.Ebry 2010-10-21 18:47:15  
I thought it was girls that were the route of all evil . ..

[+]
First Page 2 3