Question About Christianity?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Question about christianity?
Question about christianity?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Yokhai
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:23:37  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ifrit.Daemun said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Many of these studies are made in America and the UK, but again that doesn't really create a definitive cross section of society in my opinion.
Since when does a cross-section ever truly represent the whole?

It doesn't, which was my main point.

Does it matter if people in the Ukraine differ from those in America, if i will only ever interact with those in the US and the only studies i read refer to those? I do accept the fact that I am posting on an international forum, and i will have to be aware of my postulates.

Also, you are assume just because a study is perform by an American, it only targets Americans, that's a bad assumption to make.

However, you will find that, socially and behaviorally, not much differs across cultures. The underlying bases of behavior resonates across boundaries. The phrase "boys will be boys" applies here. That's probably the most interesting thing studies have shown. All girls like pink, everywhere. Fact. All males are better at hunting and physical sports. Fact. All females care for their young better than males. Fact. True there are outliers, as with any statistic, however these "stereotypes" or "generalizations" exist for a reason, because they are (for the most part) correct.

I'd say it matters when you make a blanketed statement that women are more spatially aware/socially aware.
If you had added the words "from my experience" or "I believe that X tends to do something more that Y", It'd be fine lol.

I really don't know the guidelines of whatever studies we are referring to, so I can't elaborate on the ethnicities, I can say that I doubt you are going to get the same general consensus in Zimbabwe as you would in Singapore.

I am quite interested in these studies though.
Any specific one that you'd recommend?

For some things yes, culture has a huge impact. But biological and genetic trends transcend culture. Neurology shows that the portions of the brain that control spacial awareness and organization are more active when performing activities that require them in females, while males demonstrate active sequential logical patterning and deeper mathematical activations. (Yes i had to go look that up and text my psych friend.)

Basically men have to do more think'n to place the sofa in the right spot.
 Ifrit.Daemun
サーバ: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2010-09-21 17:24:34  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
However, you will find that, socially and behaviorally, not much differs across cultures. The underlying bases of behavior resonates across boundaries.
Actually, not quite. Mexico for example is quite matriarchal. The woman is the head of the household. Men in fact are left to do more "house and caregiver" things because the woman is making family decisions. The exact opposite occurs in about 95% of the world. Islam is a great example of this. Women are essentially slaves to men and are expected to perform all of the child rearing duties. They have no place in society other than to care for the family and produce offspring.

A lot of ideologies are taken from nurture, not nature. This explains how a great deal more children raised in a homosexual household grow up to be homosexual as well. I won't even get started on that topic as all it will do is start a flame war, but my point is proven and it shows that both men and women (the human concept) is that we adapt to our surroundings equally. It has just been driven home for 4000yrs that the male provides for the family and the female takes care of it.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:29:10  
Ifrit.Daemun said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
However, you will find that, socially and behaviorally, not much differs across cultures. The underlying bases of behavior resonates across boundaries.
Actually, not quite. Mexico for example is quite matriarchal. The woman is the head of the household. Men in fact are left to do more "house and caregiver" things because the woman is making family decisions. The exact opposite occurs in about 95% of the world. Islam is a great example of this. Women are essentially slaves to men and are expected to perform all of the child rearing duties. They have no place in society other than to care for the family and produce offspring.

A lot of ideologies are taken from nurture, not nature. This explains how a great deal more children raised in a homosexual household grow up to be homosexual as well. I won't even get started on that topic as all it will do is start a flame war, but my point is proven and it shows that both men and women (the human concept) is that we adapt to our surroundings equally. It has just been driven home for 4000yrs that the male provides for the family and the female takes care of it.

I said much, I'm to be as general as possible because you always find things that differ from the norm. There are several cultures like Mexico, but that still doesn't eschew the basic principles. I'm merely making a case for underlying causality and base definitions.

Also all the research in the world is out there, I've read a great ton. Before you start saying "that can't be true, you are making assumptions" go do some fact finding.

True im glossing over alot, but that's because to truly debate this topic in its entirety would be a very daunting task. There are whole fields of study devoted to it.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-21 17:29:57  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
I'd say it matters when you make a blanketed statement that women are more spatially aware/socially aware.
If you had added the words "from my experience" or "I believe that X tends to do something more that Y", It'd be fine lol.

I really don't know the guidelines of whatever studies we are referring to, so I can't elaborate on the ethnicities, I can say that I doubt you are going to get the same general consensus in Zimbabwe as you would in Singapore.

I am quite interested in these studies though.
Any specific one that you'd recommend?

For some things yes, culture has a huge impact. But biological and genetic trends transcend culture. Neurology shows that the portions of the brain that control spacial awareness and organization are more active when performing activities that require them in females, while males demonstrate active sequential logical patterning and deeper mathematical activations. (Yes i had to go look that up and text my psych friend.)

Basically men have to do more think'n to place the sofa in the right spot.[/quote]
What if the child was raised to do the said activities that seem to be defaulted to a female?
I think it's more of a cultural thing than a genetic thing.
I played with Army men, but I also had to obsessively clean everything(Mom was a bad OCD) which I'd imagine effected my tendencies and my outlook on life.
If I had to do *** and be a slob while a woman did all the chores of the home for me obviously I wouldn't be as analytical as I am today lol.

Leviathan.Yokhai said:
I said much, I'm to be as general as possible because you always find things that differ from the norm. There are several cultures like Mexico, but that still doesn't eschew the basic principles. I'm merely making a case for underlying causality and base definitions.

Also all the research in the world is out there, I've read a great ton. Before you start saying "that can't be true, you are making assumptions" go do some fact finding.

True im glossing over alot, but that's because to truly debate this topic in its entirety would be a very daunting task. There are whole fields of study devoted to it.

I didn't really say it was true/untrue either way.
Just don't feel that the facts hard enough to generalize with.
Kind of like how they couldn't decide if eggs were good for you, that whole schpiel, I know that's not a great comparison, but that's as much as I can think of right now.
1.5 hours left of work for my tired brain lol.
You know what's an extremely daunting of a task, playing the devils advocate in a discussion about Nihilism with Nihilists.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:38:19  
I noticed by the crazy swapping of quotes

I was a philo/phsyc/socio/neuro minor. Doing AI research for Clemson Uni. You read a *** of studies and papers about the subject from a *** of different fields.

I could go on for days on both these subjects.

GO GO debate team and mock trial in highschool!
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-21 17:42:19  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

I was a philo/phsyc/socio/neuro minor. Doing AI research for Clemson Uni. You read a *** of studies and papers about the subject from a *** of different fields.

I actually didn't participate in much of that, but I liked to mindfuck all the people I knew that did.
:D
Like for example a female friend of mine tried to do some dream analysis, lets just say I made her blush.

I wish I would have went into a field more related to drug psychology.
I can talk about drugs pretty much endlessly, legal or not lol.
I'm a jack of all trades in the literary field so when I get so far in depth I can be overtaken with information.
Disinformation is my best friend lol.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:44:13  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

I actually didn't participate in much of that, but I liked to mindfuck all the people I knew that did.
Like for example a female friend of mine tried to do some dream analysis, lets just say I made her blush.

wanna go for another topic change?

The lucid properties of amphetamine based drugs on the sensory receptors of the brain....GO!
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-21 17:45:49  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

wanna go for another topic change?

The lucid properties of amphetamine based drugs on the sensory receptors of the brain....GO!
fuuuck I would not be ready for that.
Let me do some adderall first.
I can tell you some first hand experiences.
Day 3 is when the shadows come out.
[+]
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:54:36  
the grass blades become tiny ninjas bent on attacking your star wars collection
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-21 18:00:27  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
the grass blades become tiny ninjas bent on attacking your star wars collection
i dunno about that one there.
unless in was taking some diphenhydramine with it as well lol.
that's the only real time i've hallucinated actual human shapes lol.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-09-21 19:31:36  
***, I'm away for a day and miss a killer thread like this... damn u guys!
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2010-09-22 07:31:30  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
sux2bu?
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-22 09:58:30  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Just go back and pull in all the quotes you want to respond to, and make one huge post.

Then we'll get this party back on track.
 Ifrit.Daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2010-09-22 16:54:41  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Just go back and pull in all the quotes you want to respond to, and make one huge post.

Then we'll get this party back on track.
I sense an imminent wall of quotes...
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-09-23 17:19:46  

Zombie Wizard... 'nuff said
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-09-23 17:33:21  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Day 3 is when the shadows come out.

are you in my head?

Other Thread Quote By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-09-14

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

.... bs because I have stayed up longer than 11 days, well I never recorded it or announced it though.

and that is not a accomplishment... it really is not.

***, and if so what were you on. If you can clearly describe to me in detail the "shadow people" you would have 100% seen after 4 days of sleep deprivation than perhaps I will believe you.

The longest I have gone is 6 with a power nap/s (20-60 minutes) included. After you have seen the shadow people they come out much sooner the next time you stay sleep deprived after 2-3 days straight. I was on a whole lot of crystal when I stayed up past 4 days, I know people who slammed crystal and did not stay up for 10 days.

The longest I've stayed awake sober (only caffeine) is 3 days. I regularly will stay awake 36 hours and go to work and everything as normal. I don't do it all the time, sometimes more frequent than others. Sometimes I'll go a few months without staying awake all night but sometimes I'll do it 3-4 times a month.

PS: I don't support drug use, I'm a recovering addict and will have 10 years sober next October. However I've dealt with insomnia for my whole life drugs just leap propelled it to the next level later on in my life.

PPS: I am being serious, I know it sounds ridiculous about the shadow people but if you've been there then you would know wtf I'm talking about it's the best way to describe this particular sleep deprivation induced hallucination.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Lexin
サーバ: Asura
user: Kakurot
By Asura.Lexin 2010-09-30 08:32:30  
Mary becoming pregnant without having sex? Anyone else think this is all false and she committed adultery. So wouldn't surprise me that there is also incest in the Bible.

I use to consider myself a Christian but after awhile I just could not believe in something that in all honesty makes zero sense. All those stories in the bible with all these magical things happening how am I suppose to believe that kind of stuff? Moses parting the Red Sea and talking to God (via a "burning bush") come on I'm sorry but if you believe that to be true then you are truly an idiot.

I have never spoken my mind about this as to not offend those who do believe but I seriously just don't care anymore. I find religion to be nothing but a waste of time (church, reading the bible, and praying).

If your offended by this oh well I call it like I see it and I see it as religion being something that should not be taken seriously.

Oh damn guess I'm going to hell for this. /sadface

Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-10-02 14:36:45  
It's already been mentioned, but in case anyone was still wondering.

Lilith was Adam's first wife, created along side of him the same way he was created. I've read various versions on what originally happened but basically, Lilith didn't want to be submissive to Adam because she saw herself as his equal. Adam complained and god went 'LOL women's rights' and kicked her out of the garden of eden where she then became the mother of all demons after mating with Cain. Later, god created eve from Adam's rib so that she wouldn't feel as if she's equal to adam and became submissive to him.

Naturally, this is cut out of the modern version of the bible for self-preservation purposes...around the 1200s I read one source say, but google it and you'll find more than enough material to back this up.

Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-10-03 03:04:41  
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
I asked my dads minister last time they tried to convert me(long story), but anyways who did Cain have kids with? From how I understand the bible god made Adam and eve and they had 2 sons 1 killed the other(Cain I am pretty sure). So who did Cain have children with? If incest is a sin he couldn't of done it with his mother? So who?

Stories are confusing, but If I remember Cain killed his little brother, from which god, asked where is he, why did he do what he did. He then marked him on his forehead, and that was it ^_^.

Cain from what I remember ran away and came back with a wife. Adam and eve could not have been the first people and if they were, (in religious speak), god probably created them specifically. But the bible does say he goes off and finds a wife, god basically banished him to africa in the story. This is where he got his wife from then returned to where is parents were.

Then there is the fact of Adam and Eve having more kids and incest. So what if there was incest.... but in the story in cain's case he fled and bought back a wife.

I am explaining how I view the stories, that is all. There are different versions, it is how you read them for life lessons and such, that is all, like the one above me that is another variation.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-10-03 03:13:23  
Asura.Lexin said:
Mary becoming pregnant without having sex? Anyone else think this is all false and she committed adultery. So wouldn't surprise me that there is also incest in the Bible.

I use to consider myself a Christian but after awhile I just could not believe in something that in all honesty makes zero sense. All those stories in the bible with all these magical things happening how am I suppose to believe that kind of stuff? Moses parting the Red Sea and talking to God (via a "burning bush") come on I'm sorry but if you believe that to be true then you are truly an idiot.

I have never spoken my mind about this as to not offend those who do believe but I seriously just don't care anymore. I find religion to be nothing but a waste of time (church, reading the bible, and praying).

If your offended by this oh well I call it like I see it and I see it as religion being something that should not be taken seriously.

Oh damn guess I'm going to hell for this. /sadface

It could mean a lot of things, they call her the virgin marry but maybe she was not? Joseph was mary's husband, no? He knocked her up. If god decided to put a spirit in that baby and claim it his son he did so.

Oh and if the bible is telling the truth he jesus being born like that, and a son of god oh well. They are just stories, I think Jesus existed, no lie.

He was crucified, many people after him too, including saints, and people rebelling saying they were descendants of Jesus, so never know.... lots mixed in with stuff.