Question About Christianity?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Question about christianity?
Question about christianity?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2010-09-21 15:48:20  
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
I asked my dads minister last time they tried to convert me(long story), but anyways who did Cain have kids with? From how I understand the bible god made Adam and eve and they had 2 sons 1 killed the other(Cain I am pretty sure). So who did Cain have children with? If incest is a sin he couldn't of done it with his mother? So who?

From what I've heard the bible doesnt say anything about god not creating more humans. So there could have been others in the garden of eden that werent mentioned. Also it doesn't say that he didn't create more humans after they were booted out so to say.

After cain had murdered able and got caught he was placed with a sign on him and had to wander the earth until the end of his days. Some people say that the first black man was cain and all of his decendants were black. Personally i dont believe that but its out there.

"But the LORD said to him, "Not so; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him." genesis 4:15

It's also said that adam and eve had other children, It only mentions one named seth

Also we don't know how much time had passed between all of the occurances listed. Adam supposedly had seth when he was like 120+ yrs old or something

anyways i think if you want to know something you could have google'd it instead of starting a thread. But i didn't see anyone actually giving any references to anything biblical so i decided to post since thats what OP asked for.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-09-21 15:48:45  
 Leviathan.Yokhai
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 15:48:49  
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Again its irrelevant that the whole community disagrees. The righteous path is small and narrow and most all are unfit to walk it. And i quoted the scripture that says the bible is law. I just don't know where it is specifically. back when i was a Jesus kid we use to have this same debate every few months. A loose interpretation may be the best to understand and follow, but that doesn't make it truth. And that's what's being questioned here. Truth.

It sounds like you were raised in a pretty fundamentalist household and, while you're no longer religious, you still subscribe to some very fundamentalist ideas about religion. I'm sorry.

You quoted scripture of Jesus basically saying: "I'm all up in yo state, destabilizing your figures of authority. Don't listen to those Romans, yo. Listen to me." Not sure how that says anything about interpreting the bible.

Besides, how does a 'literal' interpretation even work? Is there some specific interpretation that comes with every piece of text that has the sticker "LITERAL" on it? I thought understanding was dependent on context. These "literal" interpretations of the bible are really just a way of saying what you apparently believe: "Again its irrelevant that the whole community disagrees. The righteous path is small and narrow and most all are unfit to walk it."

Anyways, you're clearly not going to budge on this. Just be aware that most Christians are going to ignore these silly games completely.

Actually i wasn't, Southern Methodist all the way, very liberal bunch. But when these thought experiments came up, this topic was hotly debated. Its not really about changing minds, but expanding understanding about you/our/their religion and the world around you.

And according to the bible, most Christians are going to hell.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 15:50:33  
Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
I asked my dads minister last time they tried to convert me(long story), but anyways who did Cain have kids with? From how I understand the bible god made Adam and eve and they had 2 sons 1 killed the other(Cain I am pretty sure). So who did Cain have children with? If incest is a sin he couldn't of done it with his mother? So who?

From what I've heard the bible doesnt say anything about god not creating more humans. So there could have been others in the garden of eden that werent mentioned. Also it doesn't say that he didn't create more humans after they were booted out so to say.

After cain had murdered able and got caught he was placed with a sign on him and had to wander the earth until the end of his days. Some people say that the first black man was cain and all of his decendants were black. Personally i dont believe that but its out there.

"But the LORD said to him, "Not so; if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over." Then the LORD put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him." genesis 4:15

It's also said that adam and eve had other children, It only mentions one named seth

Also we don't know how much time had passed between all of the occurances listed. Adam supposedly had seth when he was like 120+ yrs old or something

anyways i think if you want to know something you could have google'd it instead of starting a thread. But i didn't see anyone actually giving any references to anything biblical so i decided to post since thats what OP asked for.

I knew i was forgetting something. Been awhile since i spent time in the Genesis. I just want dinosaurs i can ride.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-09-21 15:51:41  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Flionheart said:
Religious people are stupid

Atheists are also stupid

What now?
Anyone who claims to 'know' something they can't possibly know is stupid.. I'm technically agnostic, because I admit that I don't know whether there is a higher power or not.. But I claim Atheism because I strongly believe there's not.

Well this is actually a logical fallacy. The Flying Spaghetti monster answers this one for us.

You take nothing.
Person A says that the nothing is actually something, but can't show or prove it
Person's B-ZZ agree with person A
You say that's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE...
Person G says oh yeah, prove it
You say not uh, you
Person F says NO U

The cycle repeats ad infinitum. The most logical thing to do is accept those thoeries things which are observable and quantifiable, and reject or be distrustful of theories that have no platform. Even string theory has some sort of platform of observational evidence.

So to say "you can't possibly know that" it to undermine what it is to know.

Okay, let me rephrase then, with our current understanding of the universe and everything in it, we can't possibly definitively say one way or another whether there really is a higher power at work, whether the universe was the product of design or an eventual inevitability.

Better?

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-21 15:55:17  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Flionheart said:
Religious people are stupid Atheists are also stupid What now?
Anyone who claims to 'know' something they can't possibly know is stupid.. I'm technically agnostic, because I admit that I don't know whether there is a higher power or not.. But I claim Atheism because I strongly believe there's not.
Well this is actually a logical fallacy. The Flying Spaghetti monster answers this one for us. You take nothing. Person A says that the nothing is actually something, but can't show or prove it Person's B-ZZ agree with person A You say that's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE... Person G says oh yeah, prove it You say not uh, you Person F says NO U The cycle repeats ad infinitum. The most logical thing to do is accept those thoeries things which are observable and quantifiable, and reject or be distrustful of theories that have no platform. Even string theory has some sort of platform of observational evidence. So to say "you can't possibly know that" it to undermine what it is to know.

Well it is much deeper than that. Classic epistemology, as set forth by Socrates...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

...talks of the "Regression" argument of whether something can truly be known at all because it is based on premises, which further require other premises to establish a case...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regress_argument

As such, instead of supporting the notion of skeptical perception, he concludes rather that it is then impossible to know any given thing.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 15:58:39  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Flionheart said:
Religious people are stupid

Atheists are also stupid

What now?

Well this is actually a logical fallacy. The Flying Spaghetti monster answers this one for us.

You take nothing.
Person A says that the nothing is actually something, but can't show or prove it
Person's B-ZZ agree with person A
You say that's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE...
Person G says oh yeah, prove it
You say not uh, you
Person F says NO U

The cycle repeats ad infinitum. The most logical thing to do is accept those thoeries things which are observable and quantifiable, and reject or be distrustful of theories that have no platform. Even string theory has some sort of platform of observational evidence.

So to say "you can't possibly know that" it to undermine what it is to know.

Okay, let me rephrase then, with our current understanding of the universe and everything in it, we can't possibly definitively say one way or another whether there really is a higher power at work, whether the universe was the product of design or an eventual inevitability.

Better?

True, you can never disallow for divine intervention, but you can reject its assumptions. Currently, it seems highly unlikely that the universe had a single creator. It is also highly unlikely that invisible green martians cause staplers to fall off of desks, but you can't disprove that one either.

If you allow for the possibility of divinity, then you MUST allow for the possibility for ANY divinity.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-09-21 15:58:45  
I have no opinion on the matter one way or the other, but I do find it interesting that so many video game players are athiests.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:00:47  
Fenrir.Schutz said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Flionheart said:
Religious people are stupid Atheists are also stupid What now?
Well this is actually a logical fallacy. The Flying Spaghetti monster answers this one for us. You take nothing. Person A says that the nothing is actually something, but can't show or prove it Person's B-ZZ agree with person A You say that's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE... Person G says oh yeah, prove it You say not uh, you Person F says NO U The cycle repeats ad infinitum. The most logical thing to do is accept those thoeries things which are observable and quantifiable, and reject or be distrustful of theories that have no platform. Even string theory has some sort of platform of observational evidence. So to say "you can't possibly know that" it to undermine what it is to know.

Well it is much deeper than that. Classic epistemology, as set forth by Socrates...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

...talks of the "Regression" argument of whether something can truly be known at all because it is based on premises, which further require other premises to establish a case...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regress_argument

As such, instead of supporting the notion of skeptical perception, he concludes rather that it is then impossible to know any given thing.

i really didn't want to get into So-Crates(Bill and Ted reference) simple because that's a whole new bag of "they only thing i know is that i know nothing"

But i guess i did bring it up. /sigh
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:02:12  
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
I have no opinion on the matter one way or the other, but I do find it interesting that so many video game players are athiests.

Oh oh another fun statistic is that of the video game players who are ahtiests, most of them play RTS or Simulation games....god complex?

LOL
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-21 16:02:36  
LOL sadly you did. :p
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:04:01  
Fenrir.Schutz said:
LOL sadly you did. :p

GDI.....

>.<

Can i bring up Copernicus and Pythagoras then....get onto a whole new level of knowledge and learning?
 Asura.Poupee
サーバ: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-09-21 16:04:08  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

Oh oh another fun statistic is that of the video game players who are ahtiests, most of them play RTS or Simulation games....god complex?

LOL
I never noticed how true this is til you said it.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:05:35  
Asura.Poupee said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

LOL
I never noticed how true this is til you said it.

i only wish that there was a statics that said "most religious video gamers play jRPGS"

Cause the implications of that are just too funny.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 16:06:05  
Bismarck.Drakelth said:

Didn't Cain and Abel have a younger brother, Seth?
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:07:00  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:

read first post of this page
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-21 16:07:32  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

LOL

That's like noting how most people who read books, have read Fiction and Non-fiction.

99.999999999999999999% of people who play videogames, have played at an RTS or a Simulation game at least once...

Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2010-09-21 16:08:34  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:

This statement is completely false according to the bible.

#1 Christian's didn't even exist during the time the old testament existed. They were jews, And the jews that it was talking about in reference to this were the priests who were doing dirty deals in the churches/temples at the times. They were people who just wanted higher authority than normal civilians. That's why when Jesus aka Christ (the name for Christianity) came along he threw the tables over.

#2 Yes there are a good group of false christians out there but Christianity itself has become less popular, and has lost most of its social standing from the days which the bible was written.

It was written during that time when the people of that area, Rome, isreal, mediterranean areas, had to become a priest if they wanted any sort of social standing to rule the country.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 16:09:04  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
read first post of this page

That quote was the first post of the first page.

Also, Eve wasn't the first woman, in some beliefs (I dunno what you'd call them, sects?) Adam's first wife was Lilith who became a demon or something. I'm not sure exactly how that was said to have happened.
 Bismarck.Xdudemanx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: xdudemanx
By Bismarck.Xdudemanx 2010-09-21 16:09:12  
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
when this baby hits 88mph i will find out
[+]
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:09:28  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

LOL

That's like noting how most people who read books, have read Fiction and Non-fiction.

99.999999999999999999% of people who play videogames, have played at an RTS or a Simulation game at least once...

that mean's regularly play, as the majority of what they play is RTS and Simulation.

yeah I've drowned some people in the Sim's before, but i don't regularly play those types of games.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:10:05  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
read first post of THIS page

Asura.Poupee
By Asura.Poupee 2010-09-21 16:11:33  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:

OH SNAP.
 Asura.Poupee
By Asura.Poupee 2010-09-21 16:12:07  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

LOL

that mean's regularly play, as the majority of what they play is RTS and Simulation.

yeah I've drowned some people in the Sim's before, but i don't regularly play those types of games.
I dont really play those games. I only played sims when I was like 9
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 16:12:40  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:

...Oh. My bad.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-21 16:13:00  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

LOL

Well, either way, it's total and complete ***.

97% of the scientific community is Agnostic or Athiest.

100% of the Terrorist Fundamental groups are Religious.

71% of penises over 7Inches belong to homosexuals.

I could go on.
 Ifrit.Daemun
サーバ: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2010-09-21 16:13:23  
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Think how many video game players are also stoners. This sect of hobbies just houses quite a few people who find self satisfaction to be the greatest part of their existence, that explains the high percentage of atheists.

To OP, from someone who has read the Bible numerous times, and is a believer: Lots of people have hit on the fact that there is much debate on how the children of Adam and Eve as well as the children of Noah's immediate family were able to conceive children. The Bible does not specifically say one way or the other whether additional people were created to be brides of the sons of these people, or whether other groups already existed, or neither and it was 'kept in the family'.
You also have to remember authors of the entirety of the Bible were from an age in time that was very Patriarchal. If a woman did not have a VERY significant role in the story being told, they were usually left out and only the males were spoken of. Also, statements to people were often written in a male tone, and the female tone was implied. (Ex. For 'he shall' was also to be read 'she shall' if you were female)
I believe that where the wives of Cain and the other sons of Adam (which it does state in the Bible that Adam had more sons later on) that you are speaking of came from was not important enough to be known. God wanted the facts that we need in order to get the message of each of His teachings, not so much information that it retracts from what we are to learn by reading.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 16:14:18  
NP

@Poupee ...hehe...poopee.....

sorry um...yeah...SIM's was fun for the first 20 minutes, but i knew some people who would play for months, building destroying rebuilding. It was kinda creepy
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2010-09-21 16:14:54  
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou said:
Leviathan.Yokhai said:
Again its irrelevant that the whole community disagrees. The righteous path is small and narrow and most all are unfit to walk it. And i quoted the scripture that says the bible is law. I just don't know where it is specifically. back when i was a Jesus kid we use to have this same debate every few months. A loose interpretation may be the best to understand and follow, but that doesn't make it truth. And that's what's being questioned here. Truth.

It sounds like you were raised in a pretty fundamentalist household and, while you're no longer religious, you still subscribe to some very fundamentalist ideas about religion. I'm sorry.

You quoted scripture of Jesus basically saying: "I'm all up in yo state, destabilizing your figures of authority. Don't listen to those Romans, yo. Listen to me." Not sure how that says anything about interpreting the bible.

Besides, how does a 'literal' interpretation even work? Is there some specific interpretation that comes with every piece of text that has the sticker "LITERAL" on it? I thought understanding was dependent on context. These "literal" interpretations of the bible are really just a way of saying what you apparently believe: "Again its irrelevant that the whole community disagrees. The righteous path is small and narrow and most all are unfit to walk it."

Anyways, you're clearly not going to budge on this. Just be aware that most Christians are going to ignore these silly games completely.

Actually i wasn't, Southern Methodist all the way, very liberal bunch. But when these thought experiments came up, this topic was hotly debated. Its not really about changing minds, but expanding understanding about you/our/their religion and the world around you.

"according to the bible, most Christians are going to hell" and "The righteous path is small and narrow and most all are unfit to walk it" doesn't sound like a very 'liberal' bunch to me.

Anyways, how "hotly" the topic was debated isn't very compelling. Are we supposed to subscribe to a literal interpretation of the bible simply because you and your family debated that topic 'hotly'? So far, the only real reason you've offered was the claim that the bible itself says it should be interpreted literally, and as evidence you quoted something Jesus said to his disciples, telling them to ignore Roman law in favor of his teachings -- something that seems pretty irrelevant to the topic of Biblical interpretation. If this is an example of the sort of conclusions that you and your family came to during these 'hotly debated' thought-experiments back when you were a Jesus kid, I'm not sure why we should take them over the claims of Christian scholars who spend their entire careers discussing this sort of thing, and who have reached a pretty consistent consensus on this one: "literal interpretations" of the bible are silly and arbitrary. And I think it's really interesting that someone who's now an atheist still agrees so fervently with the standard Evangelical position on this. It's more than a little odd.