フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Remora » Reirii will steal your NM
Reirii will steal your NM
 Remora.Devek
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 11:21:10  
Disintegration said:
For lesser-camped NM's and if someone is obviously preparing to attack it, talk to the person instead of swooping in. It's called human decency, which is meta-mechanics.

Assuming that you have killed a few NMs before. What about the times someone was camping something and you just swooped in and killed it? You might not not have even noticed the other person there. Don't tell you me are just going to sit there and let someone boost up and prepare to fight a NM without claiming it, because that would be a lie.

The first step in killing a NM is to claim it, and until you do that it is not yours. You're just as HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE as those people who were shouting in whitegate the other day that we stole their Dynamis, while ignoring all the times they ruined our scheduled Dynamis runs. Something that is not claimed can not be stolen. If you can't handle that, go fish or something.
[+]
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 11:50:54  
I have killed a few NM's, but haven't gotten to a busy one yet. I've tried camping LL and VE before with others around. I understood that it wasn't mine and it was a free for all.

I have chanced upon NM's already spawned when I came into a zone and immediately killed it, of course. But, please note, and this is an important detail, so read carefully: I didn't see anybody hovering over it obviously preparing to kill it.

I'm not greedy to the point of trying to swoop in on someone who is obviously preparing to attack. Your rationalizations of such are amusing, seemingly-typical and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, if we must resort to such mediocre adjectives. As I said before, decency is meta-mechanics.
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 12:15:23  
To be fair, there are not that many stupid people who would take their sweet time to claim a NM. So it is technically possible that you never walked up on someone preparing to kill a NM because no one else is stupid enough to prepare to kill something without actually claiming it.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-21 12:24:16
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

See, I've tried that.
Then I realized that same person doesn't care. (had claim-offs with other Thieves in Crawler's Nest parties)

So why bother trying to be nice when everyone just steps over me in this claiming game anyway.
Free-for-all, dog-eat-dog, etc.

On a side note: You have to stop and think of ToD as well.
If I kill , let's say Skogs Fru for example, and now I have the ToD (one hour)
Someone else appears after I kill her about 10mins later killing PHs for 50min.
I reappear when she is supposed to pop, pops, and I kill her again. Am I wrong since that person was there for 50min killing?
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 12:29:06  
They will be kind of pissed, but you won't be wrong.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-21 12:51:08

Of course they'll be pissed. Everyone gets pissed when outclaimed.
But sadly that's a majority of FFXI.
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 12:56:45  
Not everyone makes a thread on the forums to slander someone about it or goes to cry in white gate.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-21 13:27:05

Mee and Quu in Castle Oztroja...
Some fierce campers there.
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 13:43:40  
Devek said:
To be fair, there are not that many stupid people who would take their sweet time to claim a NM. So it is technically possible that you never walked up on someone preparing to kill a NM because no one else is stupid enough to prepare to kill something without actually claiming it.
True, because they know there are greedy, hateful people just. like. you. who lurk around the corner. :)
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 13:49:32  
Greedy and hateful?

Says the person who starts a thread titled, "Reirii will steal your NM" because he didn't get a level 24 sword. Nothing greedy or hateful about that.
 Shiva.Xellith
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-01-21 13:57:41  
Disintegration said:
I hate being this guy complaining publically about being done wrong by someone in-game, but I was trying to camp CCC today and got it stolen from me.

I put in all the work of killing the placeholder routinely and then once he popped, I was finishing my boost for chi blast when REIRII came out of nowhere and stole him from me. I was standing right in front of him. There was no mistaking it that it was mine. But, he came up and claimed him just before I could... and for the whole fight, I stared at him. I got in between CCC and him and spammed my stare.

It's probably not worth telling a GM about this. It's my fault for trying to buff up with the chi blast. Should have just grabbed him. But, jesus christ, have some manners. It's not like I was camping it the whole day or anything.

I would recommend that you search your area before doing anything important to see if Reirii is in the area. If so, please watch your back.

so basically you popped the mob and left it unclaimed for a few mins while you boosted for 3 mins so you had a good starting chi blast?

id take it from you if i saw it standing around.
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 14:05:37  
Xellith said:
so basically you popped the mob and left it unclaimed for a few mins

While it is a lottery, it usually repops every 2 hours on the dot. He most likely was only there for a short while and Reirii had been camping it earlier and was coming back. The drop isn't super rare or anything, but it isn't common either. You'll kill it a few times before you get what you want.

Even if the OPs magical story that Reirri had just randomly stumbled on the NM and decided to kill it was true, with a little diplomacy and kindness he could have simply asked if he could have the sword. Instead, he ran up and starting harassing him with the /stare emote.

I've honestly accidentally "stolen" NMs before from people, and when they turn around and start acting like *** I don't care to give it back. If they had just simply said something, a deal might have been made. We had a funny incident in sea the other day, and since everyone was mature we ended making a trade on the item that benefited both shells.
 Diabolos.Daddyx
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Daddyx
By Diabolos.Daddyx 2009-01-21 14:14:23  
lol, I've camped Rose Garden several times, and I really think people will kill the PH just to be ***, or to reset the window for their own gain. Needless to say, Vilma's Ring finally became a pipe dream and I decided to leave it be for sanity's sake.

Noone that has posted here is completely wrong, and yes it all boils down to one person's under/overinflated sense of morals. I try to protect my integrity on this game as I do in the real world, and as in real life, sometimes my integrity ingame comes at a price. You take your lumps and learn from your mistakes.

I've done what Haseyo refers to, kill an NM and log out until the window reopens, either to keep my NPC active, save food, or do something else entirely. Also, as some people who started this game more recently may not be aware: some time ago, as an RMT countermeasure, time in zone now reflects on potential treasure pools, to discourage monopolizing. Just be glad you're competing against a real player and not a dirty gilseller.

Just remember, especially on obscure NMs such as CCC... yes it sucks not to get claim, but if you *do* get outclaimed, just hope they get the drop. Then the short list only gets shorter and you will both be on your respective ways. I'm even guilty of taking out links and depending on the situation, keeping my competition alive while they kill what I was camping. Sure, I may be foolish for it :D but I've made a lot of friends for being a fool. ^.^v

To quote a wiseman... or well, actually Megatron from Diabolos, "All things in time." This game was specifically engineered to be a time-sink, and getting overly upset by that fact will only detract from your overall enjoyment of the game.

It seems this thread has served it's purpose, and that the OP has come away from it wiser.
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 14:26:21  
Devek said:
Greedy and hateful? Says the person who starts a thread titled, "Reirii will steal your NM" because he didn't get a level 24 sword. Nothing greedy or hateful about that.
Correct. Thank you for agreeing with me!

Xellith said:
so basically you popped the mob and left it unclaimed for a few mins while you boosted for 3 mins so you had a good starting chi blast? id take it from you if i saw it standing around.
Yes, and I was standing right on top of it trying to finish the chi blast boosting. There was no mistaking that I was about to beat up on him.

=======

I've obviously learned from the mistake and ultimately it is my fault. I'm not disagreeing with anybody on that. I just disagree that people are defending this behavior as OK because it is the norm. Lots of things in the world are normal and still completely *** up. This should incite you to be the change you'd like to see occur instead of condoning it to continue.

I think a lot of people, especially gamers, thrive on competition. They enjoy proving somehow that they are the best, smartest, coolest, etc. This is the root of why people are okay with this behavior because the idea of being gentle, communicative and kind is just too much work and the rewards far less tangible.
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 14:36:13  
Devek said:
While it is a lottery, it usually repops every 2 hours on the dot. He most likely was only there for a short while and Reirii had been camping it earlier and was coming back. The drop isn't super rare or anything, but it isn't common either. You'll kill it a few times before you get what you want.

Even if the OPs magical story that Reirri had just randomly stumbled on the NM and decided to kill it was true, with a little diplomacy and kindness he could have simply asked if he could have the sword. Instead, he ran up and starting harassing him with the /stare emote.
I don't think he randomly stumbled upon it. I think he was camping it, since I've seen him in there a few times again lately. Wasn't trying to create a magical story; I'm an honest person. Anyhow, I've since adjusted the times that I go in there since I know he is in there after midnight. Would prefer not competing, if I don't have to!

Also, the sword is R/E.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-21 14:39:23

Daddyx said:
lol, I've camped Rose Garden several times, and I really think people will kill the PH just to be ***, or to reset the window for their own gain. Needless to say, Vilma's Ring finally became a pipe dream and I decided to leave it be for sanity's sake.

Noone that has posted here is completely wrong, and yes it all boils down to one person's under/overinflated sense of morals. I try to protect my integrity on this game as I do in the real world, and as in real life, sometimes my integrity ingame comes at a price. You take your lumps and learn from your mistakes.

I've done what Haseyo refers to, kill an NM and log out until the window reopens, either to keep my NPC active, save food, or do something else entirely. Also, as some people who started this game more recently may not be aware: some time ago, as an RMT countermeasure, time in zone now reflects on potential treasure pools, to discourage monopolizing. Just be glad you're competing against a real player and not a dirty gilseller.

Just remember, especially on obscure NMs such as CCC... yes it sucks not to get claim, but if you *do* get outclaimed, just hope they get the drop. Then the short list only gets shorter and you will both be on your respective ways. I'm even guilty of taking out links and depending on the situation, keeping my competition alive while they kill what I was camping. Sure, I may be foolish for it :D but I've made a lot of friends for being a fool. ^.^v

To quote a wiseman... or well, actually Megatron from Diabolos, "All things in time." This game was specifically engineered to be a time-sink, and getting overly upset by that fact will only detract from your overall enjoyment of the game.

It seems this thread has served it's purpose, and that the OP has come away from it wiser.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well written ^^
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 14:42:13  
So are sea cudgels, but that hasn't stopped me from giving them to people that wanted them after I killed the NM.

So if he was camping it, than he didn't swoop in. He obviously knew the window and was going for it. What is the proper period of time I should sit at a camp, when I know the TOD, to prevent you from starting a thread on forums slandering me for getting the claim?
 Asura.Icon
サーバ: Asura
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-01-21 14:46:33  
Devek said:
Not everyone makes a thread on the forums to slander someone about it or goes to cry in white gate.

liable. slander is spoken liable is written.
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 14:50:01  
How did you give someone a R/E item? I didn't think you could auction, trade, bazaar or send those to someone?

At the time, I didn't know he was camping. But, I don't know if that would have made a difference to me. I was very obviously preparing to claim it. The courtesy clause that I've been trying to outline comes into effect.

There is not a period proper enough. Stay out of my way or I'll outclaim you. ;)
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-21 14:52:04  
Not really an argument that I want to get into.. but my usage of slander is correct. :P

Disintegration said:
How did you give someone a R/E item? I didn't think you could auction, trade, bazaar or send those to someone?

/pcmd add <t>
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 15:11:17  
Are you suggesting that once you're in a party, you can trade R/E items to someone? I'm not following. Please do not call me stupid or HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE for asking.
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-21 15:18:29  
No.. You have a full inv so it goes to treasure pool, then you add someone and let them lot. I've done that a ton in Valkurm and such for SJ items.
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-21 15:24:13  
Gotcha! Thanks.
 Shiva.Xellith
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2009-01-21 15:34:22  
Disintegration said:
Devek said:
Greedy and hateful? Says the person who starts a thread titled, "Reirii will steal your NM" because he didn't get a level 24 sword. Nothing greedy or hateful about that.
Correct. Thank you for agreeing with me!

Xellith said:
so basically you popped the mob and left it unclaimed for a few mins while you boosted for 3 mins so you had a good starting chi blast? id take it from you if i saw it standing around.
Yes, and I was standing right on top of it trying to finish the chi blast boosting. There was no mistaking that I was about to beat up on him.

=======

I've obviously learned from the mistake and ultimately it is my fault. I'm not disagreeing with anybody on that. I just disagree that people are defending this behavior as OK because it is the norm. Lots of things in the world are normal and still completely *** up. This should incite you to be the change you'd like to see occur instead of condoning it to continue.

I think a lot of people, especially gamers, thrive on competition. They enjoy proving somehow that they are the best, smartest, coolest, etc. This is the root of why people are okay with this behavior because the idea of being gentle, communicative and kind is just too much work and the rewards far less tangible.

if i saw you standing on top of an unclaimed NM id, Flash, Boomarang, Steal, Provoke, Chi Blast, Stun or whatever I had that was fast enough claim to stop your dumb *** from getting it.

The NM isnt yours unless you claim it. While true they didnt do anything to help camp it. Fact remains that you had your chance to claim it - an entire 3 mins - you didnt claim it. Your window of opportunity closed.

Sucks to be you
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-21 15:37:21  
Wow... Some people are just jerks, eh Xellith?
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-21 16:20:00  
Whether people agree or disagree with the "morality" of the situation, what I don't understand is why people have to be so frigging nasty about it. Instead of saying, "that sucks, but here's how it works, sorry you found out this way, but better luck next time", you get responses like "you're a retard it's not your *** mob quit crying about it you dont own the zone *** GDIAF".

Is that necessary? How would you feel if you had a problem with something or didn't understand something and people treated YOU that way? Not exactly encouraging, is it? I play FFXI because the community, as a whole, tends to be more mature then other MMO's (like WoW), but people that are just nasty disgust me. Say I have a piece of gear that's a little gimp, you could say "Hey, I have a suggestion for you, I think you'd be happier with this piece, here's why, etc...." or you could say "WTF you're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE lolol"...which response actually advances your viewpoint more and fosters understanding? I mean, are we TRYING to make people quit the game now??

People gotta remember, not EVERYONE has been playing this game for years, not EVERYONE is versed in standard MMO etiquette and behavior. I didn't understand myself when faced with the same situation when I first started playing, and when I posted about it on another forum, I got flamed for days. If someone would have explained it nicely, I'd have been fine with it. Instead, I stopped posting there. Do people actually ENJOY being called an idiot? If so, I'd really like to know why...

At any rate, the OP get's the point, I'd say.
 Fairy.Antigone
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-01-21 16:49:25  
I agree wholeheartedly Xx#2xx, I dont understand what ppl think they are achieving by making someone feel like ***for trying to understand something. I believe Dis learned much from the ppl on this thread that didnt insult him. And Dis if you ever have any questions and dont feel like being treated like that you can PM me and I'll be more then happy to help you out as I'm sure any of the other ppl on this thread that helped you would too.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-21 17:23:51  
Antigone said:
...you can PM me and I'll be more then happy to help you out as I'm sure any of the other ppl on this thread that helped you would too.

Most definitely. ^^
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 18:33:54  
I empaphise with both sides of this argument.

It sucks what happened and I know the feeling, it's gutting and annoying when it happens. Perfectly understand his frustration and why he felt the need to vent about it.

But I also understand the "I'd claim just to beat you" approach, though. I wouldn't personally word it quite as disgracefully as some here have, but I know for a fact if I saw a Notorious Monster up, I'd kill it. Why? Because it's a notorious monster, how dare it be unclaimed.

If I saw someone camping before seeing the NM and it wasn't an NM I needed, I'd probably leave it. I don't do so expecting everyone else to do this in return to me. I'm not that naive. Just don't have to be a jerk just because everyone else would be.