users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Remora » Reirii will steal your NM
Reirii will steal your NM
 Siren.Bungie
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-01-18 12:42:29  
ppl will jack other ppls HNM soon as they unclaim for whatever reason, what makes u think just cuz u buffing in front of an NM someone wont come up and claim the ***?
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-18 12:49:22  
Wooooodum said:
Am I the only person who isn't making the "CCC" reference in their head? Memory freeze...

Maybe Cargo Crab Colin?
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-18 12:50:17  
Unfortunately, I needed a good Chi Blast to kill it and wasn't fully prepared when it popped. I was going as MNK 50 / THF 25. The consecutive pop ended up killing me because I tried claiming it immediately.

I've certainly had my eyes opened to this. Thanks for all the tips.

Smurfo said:
Cool, so all i have to do is speak my mind honestly to be branded a troll?
No, and I'm sorry I called you that. But, there does seem to be an excess of negativity to your mind when you speak it. I'm curious if there's anything kind up there; I think there is. [cue Celine Dion]
 Lakshmi.Badkarma
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: BK
By Lakshmi.Badkarma 2009-01-18 12:54:31  
Cry more, yellow is fair game.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-18 12:58:50  
from my experience this is how it is with all NM camping, not like "take a number and wait in line" someone can camp the NM for hours, kill all PH and what not just to have someone walk in there, wait for 2 min and get lucky with the claim. its not very nice, and certainly not fun when you're the one that did all the pre work. but there is nothing that says that ppl arent allowed to do things like that. practice your claiming, claim faster than them, thats what you have to do. for NM's that are usually camped, LL, VE , Mee Deggi, Charby and so on, all that matters is who is the faster one on claiming. good luck.
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-18 13:24:26
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Yeah I remember when Ulli was a lotto or timed spawn, I can't remember which. But my old sky LS camped it for roughly 5 hours then within the last 30 minutes this JP LS shows up and gets claim. Needless to say we were all extremely pissed, agitated, upset, etc. Just keep a keen eye, fast reflexes and be patient and you'll go far.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-18 13:47:12  
You know I used to play a game B4 ffxi and it was called "MU"

http://globalmuonline.gamersfirst.com/new_user.php

.. and I'll have to tell ya, You EVEN walk near a guy fighting ( well when I played U stole his exps.. .. I'm sure they have fixed that snafu..but You contantly had to tell ppl to quit killing your monsters so that you could get exps.. and by that You had to verbally declare the mobs yours!)

I'm sure thats all fixed by now.. but I'm telling you try this game.. I bet the GMs were hopping like flies keeping ppl away from other mobs so that you could keep exps.. man its a killer.

So that is prolly why the Concept of the mobs here are just
"Open Game" that way, the Gms aren't "Hopping Mad", like they are in Mu...

Good game still.. if this FFXI dies or something goes AWRY... I'd prolly go back here ( Mu). ( Played for 6 mos.. I was told to play ffxi and I keeled to teh FFXI gods and came here!! LOL)
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-18 15:19:35  
After reading most of these posts, I found it very interesting that the argument is seperated by two types of people: Those with blinders on and those with blinders off.

Let me give an example of what I mean.

Somebody once said that, and I quote:

Krimsonrose said:
I don't know who Reirii is but I have had similar situations occur while camping for the O. kote. I never overcamp someone for a NM especially if they were there first. There is no point in acting like a jerk just to get an item that will be there tomorrow.

Noone likes to see all of their work go down the drain just because someone decided to wait for the NM to pop, knowing that they have the advantage because the other person is occupied with killing the placeholders. In fact, we have a phrase for this type of obnoxious, disrespectful behavior, it's called 'taking advantage of someone".

The only type of person who thinks this is ok to do is someone who has done or does this themselves.

It's just sad that these people pay a monthly fee do this passive aggressive behavior to compensate for their failures. It's obvious that something is missing besides common courtesy, and its called a "life".

Btw if you want to add someone to your lookout list, xxshadowxx also steals NM kills and I know this because they did it to me.

There is no better example on this thread for somebody with blinders on.

It is human nature to take advantage of somebody's hard work. Humans have been doing that for thousands of years worth of human history. Sooner you realize this one and great truth about who you are, you grow a little inside and become a better person because of that. Where it takes you is your problem.

I understand, however, that the original poster is learning about this system. I do, however, have to point out the fact that the sooner you learn how this game works, including all bad portions of this game, the better and quicker you will enjoy the good portions of this game.

Also, to those who say they will never camp gear if somebody else is camping it. Well, you don't really want that gear in the first place, and if you did, you will have to throw those blinders off sometime or you will never receive that said item. Somebody is always camping NMs that drop good stuff.

Now, you could be fair and "help" the other person by asking to team up and cast lots on the item, but make sure you don't let the other person be leader, otherwise he/she/it might not be as kind as you and kick you if the item drops. Again another part of human nature you better learn quickly.

To summerize this post, think what type of people play this game, the ONLY thing you are 100% sure of, which the answer would be humans. Think what humanity has proven to do over the entire human history, and what they continue to do today.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-18 15:24:34  
Why does every thread end up turning into a discussion about human nature and behaviour...

BRB my iPod is stuck on repeat, I keep hearing the same thing over and over!
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-18 15:37:00  
Because its the second Truth in the world. The benfits of belief is the first Truth.

And it proves the point every time somebody posts any "xxx stole my yyyy" threads.

When people stop complaining about every little thing like this, then I will stop pulling out my "Human Nature" card.

But that goes against human nature to stop complaining about the little things.
 Fenrir.Ximph
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Zimph
By Fenrir.Ximph 2009-01-18 15:47:11  
crying about a NM you didn't claim, mannnnnnnnn....
Welcome to FFXI lol
Don't put someone elses name in bad words this is not bad at all
Maybe if he STOLE YOUR ACCOUNT
Then you can put all the shame on them you want

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-18 16:04:42

"QQ noobs."

Well, someone had to say it.
 Ragnarok.Thoru
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Thoru
By Ragnarok.Thoru 2009-01-18 17:26:25  
Badkarma said:
Cry more, yellow is fair game.

Fact end of story.
 Fairy.Antigone
サーバ: Fairy
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-01-18 18:00:43  
I never really understood why some of you who have played the game for awhile feel the need to talk down to someone who is having a problem understanding how the game and players within works. In my earlier post I explained how I hunt NMs and how the FFXI community also normaly will be cutthroat in trying to grab the NM, but I did this in the context of teaching and explaining that its just that way and that Dis will have to adapt to this strategy to get any NM he/she is hunting.
That being said, why do you feel the need to talk down to Dis for not being at first able to except the fact that ppl are expected to be jerks while hunting NMs when it's obvious that they are new to this aspect of the game. Its ppl like a couple you that make it hard for us to keep new players in this game that we all love.

P.S. And Haseyo, just so you know you are not really a pro, looks like you have been playing for a year-ish so try to be nice instead of negative cause I'm sure many great ppl helped you get that one and only lvl75 you have and did it without calling you a noob when you failed every now and then.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-18 18:10:05

Umm, woah.
When did I ever go off as a pro?
How was I negative?
Did you even read my first post?

Clearly was sarcasm.
You need to chill, big time.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-18 18:15:24  
not sure who that was directed towards, but I also meant for my post to be more of an educational instead of deragatory (not bothering with spellcheck).

Educational in the sense that people who think that they will receive considerate behavior by example is going to have a very rude awakening.

Everyone should know by now what is to be excepted from everyone else, regardless of game life or real life. Its a dog-eat-dog world out there.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-18 18:20:52

Exactly.
Just likes yesterday with VE for a friend, another Thf sat there and watched us kill PHs, then we noticed him running, I checked Wide Scan, and outclaimed him still (he tried to /ra, out of range, heh, atleast by the looks of it).

But the thing is, he was there for awhile before us, so technically we ran up and kind of snatched it.

The message to the OP from the thread:

Don't single out one person as a person who runs in and kills an NM after you've killed PHs - almost everyone does this (you'll probably do it too, maybe not intentionally).

As said above, it's a dog-eat-dog world in FFXI. Not to sound rude, but get used to it; it isn't changing.
 Leviathan.Crosis
サーバ: Leviathan
user: CrosisX
By Leviathan.Crosis 2009-01-18 18:22:28  
I think its funny the original poster is bitching about Cargo Crab >.>
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-18 18:30:18  
More productively, what is the quickest way to claim a NM then? Is a ranged attack going to be the fastest way to claim it?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-18 18:32:59  
Disintegration said:
More productively, what is the quickest way to claim a NM then? Is a ranged attack going to be the fastest way to claim it?

Provoke, Chi blast, Flash, Charm. Almost any long-range, instant use Ability/Spell.
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-01-18 18:38:27  
I read somewhere that Provoke and assumedly DNC's Animated Flourish has a pretty short reach. And the MNK Chi Blast seems to have a good reach, just seems to have a lag in firing.

If you were MNK/THF what would you use? Or should I ditch the idea of doing MNK/THF altogether (though MNK is my only higher level right now)? I've been thinking it'd be worth putting in the work to build THF/RNG. Wouldn't that be ideal for NM hunting?
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-18 18:39:58

I was outclaimed, I had a Chainspell'd Dia, by a Whm/Blm's Stone. I wanted to cry. So many hours wasted sitting there.
Never again will I help my friend camp King Arthro. ._.'

Darts are effective too, but I hear Charm is pretty nice.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-18 18:46:18

I never read up on details but I notice that when a mob immediately spawns, there is a chance that using a JA or spell or whatever gets "locked" out, followed by a message saying you couldn't perform that action.

I think this might have been an update done a long time ago to prevent people from insta-claiming or having things pop purple. Does anyone know the specific systematics of timed claiming?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-18 18:47:56  
Disintegration said:
I read somewhere that Provoke and assumedly DNC's Animated Flourish has a pretty short reach. And the MNK Chi Blast seems to have a good reach, just seems to have a lag in firing.

While Provoke and Animated Flourish aren't the longest reach JA's, they're definitely 2 of the best due to fast use times, Chi Blast is also a good choice because of it's long reach, even with the small delay on it.

Personally I like having my Provoke Macro set up like this:

/ja "Provoke" <stnpc>

That automatically puts a target over the first mob it finds (I'll normally stand where I expect the NM to pop and spin the camera). I've never camped CCC, so I wouldn't know anything about the pop area, but as an example:

If the NM I'm camping has a pop area across a bridge, with very little space at the sides of a bridge, stand just before the bridge and face it, occasionally run across it if you can't see it all. As soon as I see a mob pop, I hit my voke macro and check the name. If it's the NM I want, I run up and keep hitting my voke macro + Enter (this will make the macro fire off), if it's PH, then I'll be a little less agressive with my keyboard >.>

Disintegration said:

If you were MNK/THF what would you use? Or should I ditch the idea of doing MNK/THF altogether (though MNK is my only higher level right now)? I've been thinking it'd be worth putting in the work to build THF/RNG. Wouldn't that be ideal for NM hunting?

THF/RNG is great for SOME NM's. I wouldn't count on it for anything that you'll take a lot of damage from, even with THF's evasion, shadows will still be better than Widescan for a lot of things.

As for MNK/THF to claim, I'd definitely stick with Chi Blast personally, although I have very very little experience with MNK past Qufim >.> I've played as 75 MNK in the past, and while I didn't die, I wasn't the best MNK in the world, so it's all down to personal preference.

Disintegration said:
Is a ranged attack going to be the fastest way to claim it?

Ranged Attacks are only likely to outclaim anything if you're using a very low delay weapon, such as a Dart (There could be lower, I'm not sure).
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-18 18:50:03  
Artemicion said:
I never read up on details but I notice that when a mob immediately spawns, there is a chance that using a JA or spell or whatever gets "locked" out, followed by a message saying you couldn't perform that action.

I think this might have been an update done a long time ago to prevent people from insta-claiming or having things pop purple. Does anyone know the specific systematics of timed claiming?

This is 100% true. I've found there is a ~2 second period where you can't claim any monster from it popping. If claiming with a spell, I recommend Dia for any non-RDM or /RDM, Gravity for any /RDM and maybe Aero or Fire for RDM main.

I was told a lot of BLM used to use Fire to claim Fafnir, I've never bothered going sitting looking at it myself, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-18 18:52:14

Artemicion said:
I never read up on details but I notice that when a mob immediately spawns, there is a chance that using a JA or spell or whatever gets "locked" out, followed by a message saying you couldn't perform that action. I think this might have been an update done a long time ago to prevent people from insta-claiming or having things pop purple. Does anyone know the specific systematics of timed claiming?

Yeah my friend told me about that. "Don't immidately try to claim with a JA, it won't claim it."

Not sure on the details though.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-18 18:57:03  
Everytime a monster spawns (whether it be a Wild Rabbit in Ronfaure or Nidhogg in Dragon's Aery), they spawn with a random block timer. This block timer is random on every unique spawn. Every single monster in the game spawns with this block timer active. The block timer is entirely random each time and can range anywhere between 0.5 seconds and 8 seconds, averagely around 1.5 to 3 seconds. Whilst this block is active, any abilities or spells used on the monster with the intention of claiming it will simply not fire off.

Because the specific timer is different every single time a monster spawns, it's impossible to predict when to perfectly time your claim; unfortunately it's all down to luck.

For your information, Disintegration:

Provoke has the same range as the majority of claiming abilities; Quick Draw, Chi Blast, Charm, etc. Animated Flourish from /DNC does have a smaller range. Any "lag" you're witnessing from you hitting your macro and the ability itself actually going off is standard; no job ability is "instant", there is about half a second between you hitting enter and the ability actually going off. This is just standard server lag.

My advice to you would be, Chi Blast to claim anything on MNK. It's got a good range and it's 'instant' (see above about the half second lag, though). Don't use macros to claim monsters - All macros have slightly more lag than commands used through the menu. If you've got competition, don't hammer enter trying to claim right away. Because Chi Blast has an instant cast time, you'll more than likely get blocked (see above about block timers).

Hope that helps!
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-18 18:58:35

Hitetsu said:
This is 100% true. I've found there is a ~2 second period where you can't claim any monster from it popping. If claiming with a spell, I recommend Dia for any non-RDM or /RDM, Gravity for any /RDM and maybe Aero or Fire for RDM main.

I was told a lot of BLM used to use Fire to claim Fafnir, I've never bothered going sitting looking at it myself, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

So the trick is to used semi-delayed spells to get the claim right on time as the mob gets fully popped? I guess that makes sense, before I used to be able to insta claim stuff right as it was popping, since alot of mobs come into the world almost as if they're dropping in matrix style >.>
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-18 18:59:42  
Hitetsu said:

Back when I used to camp Fafnir, I'd always try to claim with something like Poison or Water. Stun would usually cast too quickly and I'd get blocked. I imagine a lot of people found this out for themselves too.

It usually varies per zone depending on how many people are present, how much scenery there is to load, etc. You'd be amazed how much a single blade of grass delays your claiming!