フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » News » New IE Vulnerability
New IE Vulnerability
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 15:32:06  
Carbuncle.Shokox said:
The only real major problem with Firefox is that it has huge memory leak problems with increasing Add-On additions. If not for that it's good; everyone should have NoScript/Adblock Plus as a minimum for safer surfing.
When it comes to this discussion with FFXIAH (and every other FFXI/FFXIV site), it's IE that's the poorer choice for surfing.
I frankly can't even use FF with those memory leaks on my old computer. And really for surfing IE works great.
muh.Lilbusta said:
Someone forgot the 10% Apple users.
Retards that can't talk without there hands don't count.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-19 15:42:09  
Sad part is Apple has had attacks, but they're good at fixing that stuff faster than MS with IE holes.
 Hades.Dizzmal
サーバ: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2010-01-19 16:11:37  
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
Sad part is Apple has had attacks, but they're good at fixing that stuff faster than MS with IE holes.

This is a little old but I remember when Apple was told about an Iphone hack and refused to do anything about it. The hacker finally posted a video on it to force Apple to come out with a patch.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/29/sms_hack_could_leave_every_iphone_vulnerable.html
 Odin.Moondaddy
サーバ: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2010-01-19 16:17:44  
wonder if this has anything to do with the virus warning i got when i opened dyna basty map one on wiki sunday night.......
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 16:26:46  
I love maddox

Ramuh.Lilbusta
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-19 16:27:33  
I was talking about the computers. That story is true about the iPhone though. Wonder why they don't want to go after the guy hardcore. LOL
 Hades.Dizzmal
サーバ: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2010-01-19 16:33:39  
Just saying that no one is perfect and neither MS or Apple will do somthing untill it starts messing with their profits.
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-19 16:34:45  
Best protection against most online threats: common sense.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 16:35:50  
Asura.Artemicion said:
1 problem with that...

[+]
 Fenrir.Dramanue
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2010-01-19 17:54:41  
I use Netscape. Am I win?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-01-19 18:02:28  
Fenrir.Dramanue said:
I use Netscape. Am I win?
no
 Alexander.Hasiano
サーバ: Alexander
user: Hasiano
By Alexander.Hasiano 2010-01-19 18:42:11  
i use firefox, stopped using internet exploiter a long time ago
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-01-19 19:35:35  
Vanilla Firefox might have as many bugs as IE, but I'm not inclined to believe that there are as many exploits. Besides, the main reason why Firefox is more secure than IE is simply being able to run NoScript and, to a lesser extent, AdBlock.

Not to mention that while there are cross-browser weaknesses in JavaScript, there are scads of ActiveX exploits that will only ever work in IE.

Last, and certainly not least to anyone that has ever made a website, there's the fact that you have to make every website twice. Once to work in every standards-compliant browser, and then again to work in IE.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-19 19:51:44  
Midgardsormr.Sammitch said:
Vanilla Firefox might have as many bugs as IE, but I'm not inclined to believe that there are as many exploits. Besides, the main reason why Firefox is more secure than IE is simply being able to run NoScript and, to a lesser extent, AdBlock.

Not to mention that while there are cross-browser weaknesses in JavaScript, there are scads of ActiveX exploits that will only ever work in IE.

Last, and certainly not least to anyone that has ever made a website, there's the fact that you have to make every website twice. Once to work in every standards-compliant browser, and then again to work in IE.

The biggest problem with Firefox, in my opinion and for me at least, is without doubt the memory usage. If they could only do something about that, it'd trump the other browsers. Certainly there are bugs, but bugs that don't make me doubt the integrity of my safety like Internet Explorer. AdBlock and NoScript are good at keeping anything that slips through my AntiVirus's net out, as well. Though I'm sure these will be available for other browers, if they're not already, in the near future.

And yeah, that is the reason I have always and will always hate IE. I need to have a farm of Octopuses (Octopi?) to count on fingers how many pages I've had to recode just to appease IE's ridiculous anti-compliant interpretation of code.

...and to be blunt, "New IE Vulnerability" is about as common as player warning threads have become. It's a bit hard to take them seriously anymore; although indeed this new one seems to be of the more malicious kind.
Odin.Moondaddy said:
wonder if this has anything to do with the virus warning i got when i opened dyna basty map one on wiki sunday night.......

That was the Dynamis gods telling you to do another zone!
 Kujata.Erim
サーバ: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-19 20:12:36  
Midgardsormr.Sammitch said:

Plugins are exactly what made Firefox so vulnerable last year. A lot of people jump to it for a false sense of security. The truth is, if someone wants to infect you, and you happen to be using the browser they target, they can find ways around any sort of protection you might currently have.

The solution is just try to browse intelligently, no matter what browser you might use. Don't expect Firefox to magically protect you better than another browser, especially when its the target of so many people now.
 Caitsith.Jadi
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-19 21:00:28  
You can have your favorite, you can argue all you want but this 15 years of industry Internet security guy recommends the following

* Use ANYTHING other than Windows. -- Sorry, it's true it's more vulnerable than anything else and always has been. Critics say thats irrelevant and only true because it's more popular, but thats like saying rain only gets people wet because they go outside in it.. that logic doesn't keep people in the rain dry. If you use windows today you have a greater chance of "getting wet" so just get out of the rain. It may not be possible for everyone, but if you can, ditch windows. Microsoft just does do not understand security, and they do not take it serious and this is coming from a former Microsoft employee. All that talk of "Greater security" is advertising to make you think they do. Microsoft cares about making software easy for people who do not know how to use a computer, and if your reading this thats not you anymore.

* Use ANYTHING other than IE. -- Preferably Firefox + No Script + Adblock plus + (BetterPrivacy + WOT are also good.) if you don't like Firefox for whatever reason there are other good browsers out there that are also not IE. Google Chrome (actually try Chromium as it has better privacy), Safari or even Opera.. anything at all other than IE.

* Make sure you update. -- Take a moment at least once a month to make sure you have the latest updates for your software. Don't only use Windows auto update but also for Java, Flash, Your browser etc..

* Use AntiVirus and make sure it works. -- Recommend AVG.

* Stop using Google, Myspace & Facebook. -- I know hard, right? These services abuse your privacy, and you should be aware of that. If your looking for a good search engine that is actually serious about privacy use https://startpage.com (looks and sounds goofy but actually works pretty well and can be integrated with your non-IE browser.)

* Use Encryption everywhere. -- Your web browsing should be encrypted, your e-mail should be encrypted, and your disk storage should be encrypted. This protects you from eavesdropping and the threat of having your computer hardware stolen and becoming a victim of Identity Theft. You can find some tips at http://www.encryptedemail.org. Most modern (good) OS's allow options to encrypt user data upon install now. Truecrypt is another option.

There are lots of other mistakes people make, Don't share passwords, Lock your computer when it's not in use, don't pirate software, (Hea, you really want to be secure this is a big one) and don't trust anyone approaching you asking for personal information. If someone asks you for for address or SSN make sure you called them, if not call them back and if thats not ok for the person on the phone tell them sorry SSN numbers are not to be used for identification and some even say so on the card, goodbye.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 21:06:00  
Wow overkill a little?
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2010-01-19 21:16:48  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Asura.Artemicion said:
1 problem with that...

DEADPOOL!
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-19 21:19:37  
He recommends not to use the Windows OS... right. This is a good idea for people who do not need the Windows OS AND are very computer literate (or Macfags, I kid). Not everyone is able to learn or understand Linux, even on user-friendly distros like Ubuntu. Working within Microsoft doesn't mean he knows ***about their current efforts especially since he no longer works for them for I don't know how long, but I'm going to assume quite awhile judging by the other things he said. A lot has changed because... you know... the whole speed of the computer-related industry is incredibly fast paced.

His analogy to tell people to avoid getting wet by just avoiding the rain now applies to Firefox. As I've said before... it's a big target now, just as big as IE, and despite its "enhanced security" (which is also marketing just like he said about microsoft) it is just as vulnerable.

The rest of his recommendations are fairly sound I suppose. AVG sucks *** though, and not using Google because they don't respect your privacy is almost like not trusting your most trusted friend. They are such a huge part of the internet now it's impossible to avoid them and they are a very trusted company. I simply don't use Myspace and Facebook cause they suck, I know nothing about how they might invade your privacy other than them being a database of personal addresses and phone numbers, and etc.

Eh, I'll say it again... The solution is just try to browse intelligently, no matter what browser you might use. Don't expect Firefox to magically protect you better than another browser, especially when its the target of so many people now.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 21:30:35  
Sorry give me magic or GTFO
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-19 21:34:55  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Sorry give me magic or GTFO

I'm sure they got a plugin for that somewhere! (that also eats 600MB+ of memory)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 21:39:18  
Seriously though the first thing I thought when I read that was the chick from Final Destination 1/2 when she put herself in a padded room and wouldn't let anyone with any objects near her to keep herself "safe" lol
 Caitsith.Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-19 21:40:46  
Did you know that at Microsoft teams of people are not allowed to share code with each other? That's right.. the people who write Active X do not share code with the people who write IE. Not only is it black boxed from the rest of the world but also to internal Microsoft programmers. Each division is independent with their own secrets, budgets, etc.

It's all hype, they make the same claims about Windows ME security that they do about Windows 7. Remember Vista the OS that "doesn't even need Anti Virus"? All marketing. Something Microsoft does VERY VERY well.

Firefox is better because of their coding practices and policy of open review not because of it's lack of popularity. I was simply discounting an illogical critic argument. Of coarse it doesn't make sense.

Also everyone that is able to understand Windows is able to understand Ubuntu, and Mac OS if they try. Yes every single one, I have faith in your intelligence, things are just not that hard and often times much easier. I worked for a company that converted typical office users from Windows XP/Microsoft Office to Ubuntu/Open Office before, and I can tell you the reason people get confused of frustrated is because they expect the new OS to act like windows.. For example, someone may get confused because they can't find their C:\ drive.. but there is NOTHING easy or logical about using alphabet letters for your storage, it's a hold over from a 30 year old operating system and was never a good idea to begin with.. but Microsoft keeps using it. That should tell you something. People need to expect things to be different and they will be just fine. Maybe not everything is better, maybe something are better on one than on another for instance, but security is a feather windows does not have in it's cap and probably never will.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-01-19 21:43:52  
I just got Ubuntu 9.10 from a friend--would I have difficulty using that with .... well, say FFXI, and other things?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-19 21:48:36  
Microsoft keeps using it because people expect it. Metric system is way better and any person could learn it if they tried but the US will never ever convert to it. Why? It's a complete waste of effort. English is a horribly over-complicated language yet still pretty much the most widely used. People are going to do what takes them the least effort NOW and say screw later.

For that matter a large portion of computer users out there would be lost even reading what you just wrote without being helped. Mostly cause none will ever take the time to learn because it doesn't matter at all to them and for the most part wont even actually matter. Oh and you shouldn't need someone there guiding you thru your OS seriously.

Might as well tell people to learn everything about there cars so they can repair themselves cause that is so much better and can know if the mechanics are ripping them off or find problems sooner
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-19 21:50:35  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
I just got Ubuntu 9.10 from a friend--would I have difficulty using that with .... well, say FFXI, and other things?

Thats sorta what I meant when I said not everyone could use it. No you can't play FFXI on Ubuntu. The best you could do is try to run it over a Windows Emulator like WINE, which would fail horribly when it comes to FFXI (unless progress has been made in this area).

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Firefox OR Ubuntu when I say these things. They are great alternatives and I definitly agree that anybody could learn to use Ubuntu, I LOVED it when I used it. But seriously... the average person will quit within the first 10 minutes unless its a part of their job to learn. People typically don't want to change. ):
 Caitsith.Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-19 21:50:56  
Actually no.. FFXI runs rather well on Ubutnu, and is one of the most popular applications in Wine, it runs better and is more popular (by vote at least) than World of Warcraft.

http://appdb.winehq.org/votestats.php

Listed under Silver currently but was Gold and Platinum, it plays very well. I believe it's silver now because there is a regression with Play Online, but it doesn't affect the game itself. You can even use a Wireless Xbox Controller with Bluetooth on Linux. (something that is considerably harder on Windows to do as the offical driver is junk and you need to use an obscure and hard to find one)
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-01-19 22:09:46  
I primarily use chrome, but my online school forces me to use firefox as it doesn't fully support chrome. The key is to use the browser that is the least targeted as hacks are aimed at vulnerabilities in particular browser + add on combinations and a hack aimed at IE or Firefox won't affect a browser with a different foundation.

Most of all though I like Chrome's sand boxing, sure it won't be that secure forever once people really start going after it but till then I'm a little safer simply cause I'm on the path less shot at.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-19 22:17:14  
Caitsith.Jadi said:
Actually no.. FFXI runs rather well on Ubutnu, and is one of the most popular applications in Wine, it runs better and is more popular (by vote at least) than World of Warcraft.

http://appdb.winehq.org/votestats.php

Listed under Silver currently but was Gold and Platinum, it plays very well. I believe it's silver now because there is a regression with Play Online, but it doesn't affect the game itself. You can even use a Wireless Xbox Controller with Bluetooth on Linux. (something that is considerably harder on Windows to do as the offical driver is junk and you need to use an obscure and hard to find one)

The controller itself is junk. Dualshock > * :d

As for Ubuntu it works quite fine yeah. Annoying to install/set up the first time however. But as soon as you get the game running once, you're fine. Never tried with 3rd party tools / plugins tho.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-19 22:26:15  
Kujata.Erim said:
Thats sorta what I meant when I said not everyone could use it. No you can't play FFXI on Ubuntu. The best you could do is try to run it over a Windows Emulator like WINE, which would fail horribly when it comes to FFXI (unless progress has been made in this area).

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

(It's in the name!)

Anyway, in all seriousness, FFXI can work well in WINE. I've gotten it to run in Jaunty without problems. Haven't tried Karmic yet.