New IE Vulnerability
 Kujata.Erim
サーバ: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-19 22:33:34  
Fairy.Azulmagia said:
Kujata.Erim said:
Thats sorta what I meant when I said not everyone could use it. No you can't play FFXI on Ubuntu. The best you could do is try to run it over a Windows Emulator like WINE, which would fail horribly when it comes to FFXI (unless progress has been made in this area).

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

(It's in the name!)

Anyway, in all seriousness, FFXI can work well in WINE. I've gotten it to run in Jaunty without problems. Haven't tried Karmic yet.

lol ya, I realized that after I posted.

I haven't kept up with the progress they've made with FFXI over Wine since I quit using Ubuntu so I'm out of the loop there. Even if it does support FFXI though, it'll never be able to run everything Windows can, which is what keeps me on Win7. I definitely preferred the environment of Ubuntu though, I wish I could go back.
 Asura.Folant
サーバ: Asura
user: Folant
By Asura.Folant 2010-01-20 00:25:22  
I'm about as PC literate as your Grandma Dorothy and I actually find Ubuntu easier than Windows. Still keep my Vista partition but I haven't loaded it since before 9.10.

Was helping my Mum with her Vista laptop the other day, was foreign to me. :(

Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-20 00:27:50  
With my old PC, FFXI ran far better in WINE than it did in XP x32
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-01-20 01:11:25  
No surprise that there's a vulnerability in IE.
 Caitsith.Jadi
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-20 01:19:21  
Asura.Folant said:
I'm about as PC literate as your Grandma Dorothy and I actually find Ubuntu easier than Windows. Still keep my Vista partition but I haven't loaded it since before 9.10.

Was helping my Mum with her Vista laptop the other day, was foreign to me. :(

As I've found ppl with no computer experience seem to take to Ubuntu pretty well.. Some time ago.. Sun Microsystems spent a great deal of money conducting research studies on the interface in Ubuntu (Gnome) to make sure it did what people expected it to do. They gave the results of that research away to the Gnome community. In using that they have a very nice and simplified use experience now. You can tell because they do smart things one such is the placement of the panels on the top and bottom of the screen, the reason for that is not to be "mac like" but because the top and bottom are the most easily accessed areas of the screen. If you just nudge your mouse, most likely it's going to end up in one of the top corners. You can get there by using large general mouse movements. So if you MASH the mouse up and left on Ubuntu and click you'll open the program menu. Mash it up and right and your get the system menu in the top right corner.. Compare that to Vista. It doesn't even use the top and Vista replaced the Start button with a rounded one. If you mash the mouse down and left on Vista you have to the use more difficult and fine mouse movements to come back a little bit to open the start menu.. they don't take advantage of the most important screen real estate.. and I couldn't tell you why..

However... this thread is about security so I'm going to take it back there as much as I like Wine and Ubuntu.

Chrome is pretty good. It has a simplified security model and plugin sandbox so it has a better design from security standpoint than other browsers, it also takes advantage of public review of it's source code, so it's got potential. The problem with Chrome is privacy.

Someone said before that privacy of Chrome isn't important, I disagree.

You have an individual human right to your privacy, and you should care a great deal about others being able to view your information. The practice of data mining is truly awesome and dangerous and it can be used to paint a disturbing legal picture. For instance. You may become the suspect of a crime, where in government can force Google to reveal to them your internet search information. That information, although circumstantial, can then be used to convict you even if you are absolutely innocent of the crime. It's not necessarily Googles fault, but when the government has the power to lock you in a cage for the rest of your life based upon what you type into a web browser, I would be somewhat concerned and take steps to avoid that scenario. That's just an example to explain why it's important, there are other things that can happen. Your privacy is important and you should protect it.

Chrome Tracks your movements online in the following ways.

* Client-ID: Chrome creates a unique ID through which a user can be theoretically identified.

* Timestamp: Chrome remembers up to the second exactly when the software was installed.

* Suggestion: Depending on the configuration, each time you put something in the address line,this information is sent to Google to provide suggestions. (It's sent to Google even if you don't press enter)

* Alternate Error Pages: Depending on the configuration, if you have typed a false address in the address bar, this is sent to Google and you get an error message from Google's servers.

* Error Reporting: Depending on the configuration, details about crashes or failures are sent Google's servers.

* RLZ-Tracking: This Chrome-function transmits information in encoded form to Google, for example, when and where Chrome has been downloaded. This unique identifying number can be sent to Google as often as every 24 hours, when a search is conducted or upon "significant events".

* URL-Tracker: Calls depending on the configuration five seconds after launch the Google homepage opens in background

If Chrome didn't do that stuff it would be great, and.... your in luck because the Open Source version of Chrome, Called Chromium does not. you can get daily snapshots here. http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/
(The snapshots do not contain an updater so you need to remember to update it.)

You can also use Adblock and Flash Block on Chrome. The reason you want to block Flash is because it can also be used to track you movements online like cookies. Flash retains it's own kind of "Super Cookie".. so I find it's best to turn it off for all sites and use it on an allow basis for the sites you want flash on. (gives better web performance too and makes some sites a lot faster.)
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-20 01:49:39  
Caitsith.Jadi said:
Supposedly this thread is about security so I'm going to take it back there as much as I like Wine and Ubuntu.

Chrome is pretty good. It has a simplified security model and plugin sandbox so it has a better design from security standpoint than other browsers, it also takes advantage of public review of it's source code, so it's got potential. The problem with Chrome is privacy.

Someone said before that privacy of Chrome isn't important, I disagree.

You have an individual human right to your privacy, and you should care a great deal about others being able to view your information. The practice of data mining is truly awesome and dangerous and it can be used to paint a disturbing legal picture. For instance. You may become the suspect of a crime, where in government can force Google to reveal to them your internet search information. That information, although circumstantial, can then be used to convict you even if you are absolutely innocent of the crime. It's not necessarily Googles fault, but when the government has the power to lock you in a cage for the rest of your life based upon what you type into a web browser, I would be somewhat concerned and take steps to avoid that scenario. That's just an example to explain why it's important, there are other things that can happen. Your privacy is important and you should protect it.

Chrome Tracks your movements online in the following ways.

* Client-ID: Chrome creates a unique ID through which a user can be theoretically identified.

* Timestamp: Chrome remembers up to the second exactly when the software was installed.

* Suggestion: Depending on the configuration, each time you put something in the address line,this information is sent to Google to provide suggestions. (It's sent to Google even if you don't press enter)

* Alternate Error Pages: Depending on the configuration, if you have typed a false address in the address bar, this is sent to Google and you get an error message from Google's servers.

* Error Reporting: Depending on the configuration, details about crashes or failures are sent Google's servers.

* RLZ-Tracking: This Chrome-function transmits information in encoded form to Google, for example, when and where Chrome has been downloaded. This unique identifying number can be sent to Google as often as every 24 hours, when a search is conducted or upon "significant events".

* URL-Tracker: Calls depending on the configuration five seconds after launch the Google homepage opens in background

If Chrome didn't do that stuff it would be great, and.... your in luck because the Open Source version of Chrome, Called Chromium does not. you can get daily snapshots here. http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/
(The snapshots do not contain an updater so you need to remember to update it.)

You can also use Adblock and Flash Block on Chrome. The reason you want to block Flash is because it can also be used to track you movements online like cookies. Flash retains it's own kind of "Super Cookie".. so I find it's best to turn it off for all sites and use it on an allow basis for the sites you want flash on. (gives better web performance too and makes some sites a lot faster.)

I would agree with everything you said but the chromium nightly/hourly builds. they are not meant at all for main browsing. These builds can be highly unstable under some circumstances.From slow sluggish rendering with some javascripts/html to crashing. Just the other night I had severe issues with certain encrypted sites. For example the browser would hang on the log in for my bank, gmail (i know weird right) would load like a snail.

I'm currently using build 36533.

You should also know there are no true adblocking for chrome as well. This is a design issue with webkit. All the adblocking extensions can do is hide them after loading.

The only real way for blocking such things is to edit the hosts file or use privoxy.
 Caitsith.Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-20 01:51:39  
Siren.Eagleeyes said:
I would agree with everything you said but the chromium nightly/hourly builds. they are not meant at all for main browsing. These builds can be highly unstable under some circumstances.From slow sluggish rendering with some javascripts/html to crashing. Just the other night I had severe issues with certain encrypted sites. For example the browser would hang on the log in for my bank, gmail (i know weird right) would load like a snail.

You should also know there are no true adblocking for chrome as well. This is a design issue with webkit. All the adblocking extensions can do is hide them after loading.

The only real way for blocking such things is to edit the hosts file or use privoxy.

Agreed, good to mention that. Maybe I should suggest SRWare Iron instead.. I'm just kinda unsure about that right now tho.. doesn't seem like they did anything to Chromium.

Privoxy is actually something I use so I was unaware the Ad Blocking in Chrome was superficial.

Siren.Eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-20 01:56:39  
Caitsith.Jadi said:
Siren.Eagleeyes said:

Agreed, good to mention that.

Extensions are now in Chrome, they are newer features you might not know about. https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

I use both privoxy doesnt do a good job of hiding the blank spaces.

The adblocking addons take care of that
 Caitsith.Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-20 01:58:53  
Lol Fast edits. ^^ Sorry.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-20 02:03:11  
lol i loves my chrome.

I think people are too paranoid with "TEH GOOGLE BOT".`

If you use gmail, google checkout or any other google related service and you're paranoid about them spying on you with their browser. You sir are a hypocrite. lol

Also what makes you think microsoft isn't watching you now? How about apple? lol /tinfoilhat
 Caitsith.Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2010-01-20 02:37:14  
Siren.Eagleeyes said:
lol i loves my chrome.

I think people are too paranoid with "TEH GOOGLE BOT".`

If you use gmail, google checkout or any other google related service and you're paranoid about them spying on you with their browser. You sir are a hypocrite. lol

Also what makes you think microsoft isn't watching you now? How about apple? lol /tinfoilhat

Well, if you read the example above that I gave, there isn't much more I can say really. Sometimes Conservatives will make a privacy argument such as "Why worry if you have nothing to hide?" - This extends to companies because the government can go after your information held by Google without your knowledge. If you know who Bruce Schneier is, he's made some arguments against that "nothing to hide" argument you may want to look at.

http://securitymusings.com/article/337/nothing-to-hide
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998565

I like to answer that question by saying. "My privacy protects me. I have a whole lot to *** hide that is none of your *** business. I have a huge amount of things I would like to keep private, and it is also one of the reasons I wear clothes. If you have nothing to hide lets see you strip and show us just how little you have to hide."

In a radio interview after he was released from jail and unjustly being the target of the FBI and Secret Service, Kevin Mitnick once said "I love my country, it’s the government I’m afraid of." and I've found no truer words.. you may love Google, but until they start destroying the data they collect they are a little too risky for me. It really doesn't have that much to do with how much I trust Google, or my opinion of Google as a company.. it's more the legal implications.. And to mention.. I'm an outspoken critic of Bush, Obama, the war, the takeover of the American monetary system, public school, our national drug policy, the looming police state, and just about everything else the government does so.. who knows.. maybe I do have more of a reason to fear than you.. lord knows if they start putting people against the wall folks like me will probably be first.