RNG Weapon Question
First Page 2 3
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-01-15 10:27:42  
Ok this has been bugging my brain lately but I'm curious of what weapon should be used for what.

I always see some with the fire/vulcan staff & some duel wielding in axes (fransica & whatever axe).

What is the weapon you mainly will have? Is the axes just used for soloing? Or is it situational? If situational, what type of situations.

Sorry for the nooby questions, I wanna get back to leveling rng soon and was curious.
 Alexander.Lecia
サーバ: Alexander
user: Lecia
By Alexander.Lecia 2010-01-15 10:32:40  
personally I use Vulcan's for whenever i'm not /nin. Mekki Shakki is a nice option for /sam for those rangers who are trying to work on a 5 hit setup with the store TP. Kreigsbiel + Fransisca for /nin.

GL with ur leveling =P Remember is always nice to have options ^^
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-15 10:34:32  
If you need the RACC then you can dual wield daggers/axes with RACC, if not the fire/vulcan staff is great.

Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-01-15 10:38:17  
So in XP PT, I should be in axes?

What is a 5 hit setup for rng? Atm it's only level 64.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 10:40:05  
I use Mercurial Kris. And yes axes would probably be better for soloing if you were just standing toe to toe with the mob.

The other axe you are looking for is Kriegsbeil, that plus fransica give a total of 15ratt 11 racc and 5 agi making it quite a bit more accurate than vulcan +axe grip at 10ratt and 8 str. Or 5 if you using rose strap

On tp hits dmg wise the staff will win hands down. For ws sorta depends on gear, ws, food and mob a bit. If you capping fstr2 the axes will win by a little on sidewinder alot on slugshot. Slugshot even with uncapped fstr2 will most likely come close if you are using a gun though would have to do numbers to find out when and such

Also a new good racc dagger is Courser's Pugio
 Ragnarok.Matix
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2010-01-15 10:40:55  
with e/v-bow you nee 13 for 6 hit, 36 for 5 hit

i usually use r.acc daggers when kite soloing, axe's for when /nin, staves for /war and /sam, lecia covered it well~

kraken/m-kris/ridill are great options when available! but remeber not to dual weild them or it will slow your overall tp gain down~
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-01-15 10:47:32  
My slugshot does pretty crappy than my Sidewinder in PT. I do about 400-800 dmg with slug and when I do sidewinder I do 1200+ in pt with the gear set up on my profile. I just use the staff even though I'm /nin.

So in XP pt should I be /nin, /sam, or /war? I would think /nin for surviving against birds.

For axes, I do have them both but 1 is level 70, should I just wait til then for using axes?
By Ashitaka 2010-01-15 10:56:54  
Depends on your acc like some one said... if you need it go dual wield... otherwise I would main staff.... I just like the major Rattk bonus
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 11:04:03  
Gilgamesh.Alyria said:
My slugshot does pretty crappy than my Sidewinder in PT. I do about 400-800 dmg with slug and when I do sidewinder I do 1200 in pt with the gear set up on my profile.

So in XP pt should I be /nin, /sam, or /war? I would think /nin for surviving against birds.

Theres now way there should be a difference in dmg that big unless you are comparing crap gun/bullets to ebow. Hell the warbow+1 users I was in pt yesterday were only hitting like 600-800 with a cor or a brd in pt while I was sluging for 1000-1500 in pretty much full racc set. I've yet to hit less than ~900 slug shot since I got it. Even without any debuffing the mobs or such using Mkris /nin with velocity shot down or att buffs

Hell I think the base dmg of your bow and arrows are only 95 while silver bullets alone are 81 and guns will probably be around 35-40 depending on what you get. So a total of like 120ish. So off the bat guns have like 26% more dmg. Granted Warbow has like 12ratt on what I'm using and sidewinder has an str mod but lower agi mods... but really that almost evens out. Were you using crap bullets? Or lol xbow?

Also for me I kinda have to /nin. I die often enough as is. And as a taru 2 hits and a pecking flurry mean I'm dead. And yesterday was the first time I didn't pull hate with a slug when the mob didn't die.

Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2010-01-15 11:28:33  
Well I use a xbow right now til I get a better thing to use. I have only died 2 times in a pt for fault of no voking but I time my shots and wait til a certain amount to WS with sidewinder to kill it. Usually around 45% I sidewinder, then it either kills it or its at 2% on the mob.

Well I just hate delay on guns. What is the best gun to use at 64 then?
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-15 11:33:44  
Edit: Woah, it let me post a blank comment. I accidentally clicked submit while waiting on the quote to show up.
Dasva said:
Also for me I kinda have to /nin. I die often enough as is. And as a taru the enemy sneezes and that means I'm dead. And yesterday was the first time I didn't pull hate with a slug when the mob didn't die.
fixed
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 11:34:49  
Um probably Shark Gun. Though if you don't have the ISP to waste or the rank Fourth Gun ain't bad. Blunderbuss +1 is decent too and can be evolithd with up to 12wsratt. Tbh though it's the bullets that are doing the bulk of the heavy lifting lol
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-01-15 12:06:02  
When I duo/low-man events on rng or in situations where it is important for my group that I NOT pull hate and DO survive, I sub ninja and dual-wield Kreigsbiel in main hand and Francisca in off-hand. When there's enough other heavy DD's or a couple tanks to keep hate off me, I /sam and use a fire staff with an axe grip. Sometimes I /war and use a fire staff and grip for that as well.

I never use a merc kris or k club or any of those because my style is to stay the hecks away from the mob. I prefer to stand back and range, not melee and range. So if I am meleeing, it means I pulled hate and am on my way to stand behind the pld and cower and whimper like a pansy.

I capped my marksmanship skill, but never use a gun, although I have a hellfire laying around somewhere. I prefer archery and use a fay gendowa with decent augments, better than Selene's but not as good as Vali's. I think the archery vs. marksmanship debate comes down to simply personal preference.

A couple good rngs you could pm to talk to are Enternius and Sinharvest. I declared myself to be Sin's padawan when I first met him because his rng was a million times more bad-*** than mine. And I stalk Enternius's gear sets for his rng on his profile page. I would pester those two for any serious rng questions, to be honest.
 Unicorn.Moldtech
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-01-15 12:22:54  

2k+ Sidewinders are ideal :)

brd drg drg drg drg rng party
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-15 12:28:42  
I personally can't recommend using anything other than Vulcan's Staff or Mekki Shakki after LV60 or so. You will never need R.ACC at that point, and in merit parties, a naked RNG has more ACC than a fully geared SAM or WAR.

That being said, if you're fighting, say, Kirin or something like that, sure you'll need the R.ACC, but from my experience with capped merits on RNG, just swapping in R.ACC rings, Optical Hat, and AF body is enough to almost floor my hit rate, so...

And as for /NIN vs. /SAM vs. /WAR, I only use /NIN for endgame stuff or campaign (where I get to Ridill/Merc Kris and save ammo). /SAM and /WAR parse almost the same over time, with SAM getting the obvious WS in one ranged attack sooner and Meditate, which combined with Barrage and EES, allows you to deal out roughly 10k damage in a matter of seconds.

What I tend to use more often is /WAR. Berserk, combined with Velocity Shot, is a +40% increase when Berserk is up, or a +30% increase overtime considering Berserk's downtime. Plus, it's just nice to see things like this.

I think /SAM is for guns and /WAR is for Bows, just because of the nature of the weapons. Gun = long delay, meaning you don't want to sit around waiting for that delay all the time and would rather just get to the WS already, which gun already excels at.

In the end, it's all personal preference. I've seen more than a few RNGs go /WHM and act as backup healers and still get the job done. The real strength comes from the RNG part, not the sub part.
[+]
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-01-15 12:35:35  
Oh, what Ent said reminded me. I should have said earlier that I rarely party or merit on rng, I have a few times for ls parties or friends, but most of the time when I am on rng I am in sky fighting gods, in dynamis when my thf is not needed there, or in einherjar. Mostly I merit on blm, so my rng almost never goes to merit parties and instead is almost always doing endgame events. (If I'm on rng, assume I'm busy heading to an event.)
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2010-01-15 12:42:28  
Siren.Enternius said:
and in merit parties, a naked RNG has more ACC than a fully geared SAM or WAR.

Not even close D:<

A naked RNG w/ 8/8 Merits only has like 70% Acc :< 358 Total Acc

Meanwhile a fully geared SAM or WAR can cap or get above 90% easy D:

A naked Sam/War w/w 8/8 has 331 Total Acc already 57%

So no, not even close.

And even without doing math or using a calc, a fully geared SAM or WAR you already know can cap or get above 90%, and a RNG does not have 90% Racc already, and its only +48 acc which is partially negated due to 2handers 3/4 Dex ratio AND you have an A- weapon.

Edit**

And Vulcans/Axe is wtg, after 60 you indeed do not need acc that much, make it up somewhere else if you do, like rings or AF body.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-15 12:49:33  
Bahamut.Rumaha said:
Not even close D:<

A naked RNG w/ 8/8 Merits only has like 70% Acc :< 358 Total Acc

Meanwhile a fully geared SAM or WAR can cap or get above 90% easy D:

A naked Sam/War w/w 8/8 has 331 Total Acc already 57%

So no, not even close.

I wasn't saying "Go to parties naked." I was saying that the already-given pieces that you'll be using on SAM for STR or R.Attack will include enough R.ACC on them to easily cap.

Blood Fng. Gnt.
Buccaneer's Belt
Hope Torque
Zha'Go's Barbut

Edit: Besides...A SAM/WAR using polearm (Which they rightly should be at birds) has roughly 286 ACC, including merits, if they were naked.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2010-01-15 12:55:49  
I know I am just busting your balls, that stuff makes you 393 88%, Skadi legs makes it 90% 397, E bow and Demon is 405 94% Kabura -2 -1%, and if you are Hume its 94.8% and Mirke or K.Osode has Agi to cap both anyway.

Edit**

Yea? And a WAR/SAM Using GAXE 8/8 has 331

And you are wrong actually, 8/8 merits naked 2handed SAM/WAR has 299 Acc naked,
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-15 13:38:49  
RNG/SAM can get 5 hit easily with any combination, Rajas Ring is all you need, using Hellfire & Silver Bullets anyway. Not so sure about E.Bow, don't use it.

Vulcan's is usually the best option because at 75 your accuracy should be fine even on high level monsters (assuming you don't do events naked.)
By Oblisk 2010-01-15 13:56:12  
As far as the idiot using the m kris, go die. Don't ever tp in that p.o.s. You hit harder with a vulcan's/axe grip. If you are having acc issues (I would say under 90%) might want to go kreigsbiel/franny. For a max dmg output set I would say it is a 6 hit build (rose strap rajas hachi feet legs) as far as end game.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 14:01:57  
My bad I thought I was tping in Mkris for the tp gain. Damn how could I have forgotten that I was really doing it for the dot...
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-15 14:04:40  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
My bad I thought I was tping in Mkris for the tp gain. Damn how could I have forgotten that I was really doing it for the dot...

I think he means you do more damage shooting 5-6 bullets to 100 TP and then weapon skilling in Vulcans than you do getting 100 TP with Mkris and firing a less strong weapon skill. Which is correct. You do.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 14:07:46  
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I think he means you do more damage shooting 5-6 bullets to 100 TP and then weapon skilling in Vulcans than you do getting 100 TP with Mkris and firing a less strong weapon skill. Which is correct. You do.
Meh I get tp in time to finish the mob every fight since I got slug shot. The rngs I pt with take a good 2-4 fights to ws depending on how much tp they have to store to actually land slug shot.

Also who says I don't shoot too? I shoot then in that down time when you can't shoot but your melee timer is still going I'm meleeing. I blink every second or 2 lol.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-15 14:47:02  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
The rngs I pt with take a good 2-4 fights to ws depending on how much tp they have to store to actually land slug shot.

Then they suck. Simple as.
[+]
By Oblisk 2010-01-15 14:55:45  
Well you can take your m kris and find a decent ranger and get our parsed. Simple enough.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 14:56:47  
What you gunna say that Mkris only offers better tp gain if the rngs suck? Cause I could pull out the math taht says otherwise if I didn't just get an invite
Oblisk said:
Well you can take your m kris and find a decent ranger and get our parsed. Simple enough.
unfortunately the pt I just got has no other rngs lol
By Oblisk 2010-01-15 15:05:16  
Are you really stating you will out parse a ranger shooting every chance he can with a m kris tp build?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-15 15:08:24  
Oblisk said:
Are you really stating you will out parse a ranger shooting every chance he can with a m kris tp build?
Yes. Sure I wouldn't if I didn't shoot at all but I do.
First Page 2 3