users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG Weapon Question
RNG Weapon Question
 Shiva.Andytheraven
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Andytheraven 2010-01-16 02:34:05  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
So what your saying is sitting there doing nothing is better than getting tp inbetween? Man people are way too close minded. Also rng has even worse club skill than dagger. So good luck hitting without those merits I can't put into it

the fact you getting more dmg on normal atks with vulcan, is what you seem to not understand out does the minor dmg/tp gain from M kris gives you. so even if you arent melee inbetween shots your higher attacks make way more than up for it over time.

that being said your setup I would say would work ok in a party considering a mob shouldnt really be up for much more than 30-45sec anyways. still wouldnt perfer it though
 Leviathan.Tealsic
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tealsic
By Leviathan.Tealsic 2010-01-16 02:41:20  
I usually keep on V.Shot i dont mind sitting back and staying alive even then i end up tanking colibri's over drgs and sams lol Fail penta thrust is Fail
[+]
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-01-16 02:49:09  
Leviathan.Tealsic said:
I usually keep on V.Shot i dont mind sitting back and staying alive even then i end up tanking colibri's over drgs and sams lol Fail penta thrust is Fail
Depends if you're talking about lvl 75 or not, nothing will compare to your sidewinder if you're good, which is why you take hate. A sam or drg at 75 will still kill your dot if they have the proper buffs (haste) which rng's cannot take advantage of. Plus I've seen sam's bust out 2k+ penta's on average, made my drg look silly lol.
 Leviathan.Tealsic
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tealsic
By Leviathan.Tealsic 2010-01-16 02:57:13  
yeah got in in with a drg this one time had the works aurum body homam aces the works dude was pounding but yeah definantly an area where haste is the biggest factor as for sams never rly been in a pt with a OMGWTFSAM i guess their either jp onry or "Oh ***its tealsic lets not party with him and pretend to be afk when he sends us a tell" -_-;; rofl
 Pandemonium.Zexa
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Zexa
By Pandemonium.Zexa 2010-01-16 03:10:21  
This might be a silly addition but, I tend to pull hate sometimes just from shooting. Being able to melee with m kris helps the mob stay put so the DD don't yell. (This is mostly stuff like sea farming or birds).
Uually in parties, there is only one buffer, and don't forget that BRD tends to only do march X2. RNG has access to decent amounts of haste gear, so using an m kris in certain situations is perfectly fine. (We have enough acc bonus to not suffer too much from low skill if we gear correctly.) It's nice seeing high slugshots, but good luck with that with no minuet, you'll only see 1800s.

Something else to add is that you don't need to be /sam for a 5 hit hellfire build. You only need 17 stp for an nq, and ws with 14 stp. You will need the rose strap though, so that is another reason to go for the vulcan/fire staff. (Unless you somehow have access to mekki) So enkidu pants, rajas ring, rose strap, and those cobra unit mittens with 3 stp is what I build tp in when I am in this mode, then I swap out those stupid gloves for blood finger guantlets/seiryu for ws.

Whoever said COR joyeuse > m kris was being silly. I was able to slug shot the same number of times as I normally do but have extra tp over to help curaga (COR/DNC, of course). None of our damage is from joyeuse. Like, at all. Kind of funny that my highest slugshots on exp mobs was with cor (2800's). I guess it's because I can make sure I get good buffs all the time, instead of somehow being forgotten as a rng.
 Carbuncle.Zitale
user: Zitale
By Carbuncle.Zitale 2010-01-16 05:08:39  
Oblisk said:
For the chick that made this thread, ignore the level 60 ranger. I have done plenty on ranger (Dark Ixion, JoL, Odin) use vulcan's/axe grip. If you are under 90% kreigs/franny. The end, this thread should be done. If you merit on ranger, go jump off a bridge, a decent SAM or WAR will out parse you by a mile.
Yeah, you're right, everyone who have Rng75 also have Sam and War to merit their ranger, it's obvious!
/sarcasm off

The 90% comment made it realy clear, but if ya want to close a topic, don't add more "flamable" opinions like "If you merit on ranger, go jump off a bridge".
 Unicorn.Moldtech
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-01-16 05:17:03  
lolwut?

don't merit on greater colibri as rng? o.o

delete sam, war, and drg and make it an <Arrow> <Burn> ftw >:D
By Oblisk 2010-01-16 07:49:59  
Zitale are you trying to be funny and say that ranger meriting on birds is good? If not please explain.
 Ramuh.Deebs
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Deebs 2010-01-16 07:51:21  
I've only ever been outparsed in bird merits by other rangers and the occasional omgwtfdrg. Every war I've ever merited with has had chump change numbers compared to rng.

Mamool are a different story. I'd rather go sch and heal.
 Ragnarok.Nech
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: valeryan
By Ragnarok.Nech 2010-01-16 07:51:55  
^^ outparse a RNG in birds? whut u talking about? even going /nin a kc/rng rox over everything
[+]
 Fairy.Akiba
サーバ: Fairy
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2010-01-16 08:07:30  
Ok... just a quickie question.. is an Xbow RNG still viable these days or is Archery the only way to go?
 Caitsith.Iphone
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Imola
By Caitsith.Iphone 2010-01-16 08:40:07  
Fairy.Akiba said:
Ok... just a quickie question.. is an Xbow RNG still viable these days or is Archery the only way to go?

Yes trueflight is the way to go.
 Fairy.Akiba
サーバ: Fairy
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2010-01-16 08:52:54  
Trueflight can perform on par with Slugshot?

I have some suzaku sune ate and seiryu kote lying around.. my rng is sitting at 53 so i think i wanna take it up.
 Caitsith.Iphone
By Caitsith.Iphone 2010-01-16 08:58:52  
Fairy.Akiba said:
Trueflight can perform on par with Slugshot? I have some suzaku sune ate and seiryu kote lying around.. my rng is sitting at 53 so i think i wanna take it up.

No it's not on par as far as damage goes. It's an "light elemental based WS." It's cool looking, and fun though. Totally different set of WS armor pieces for this one.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2010-01-16 09:26:30  
i like using merc K and blau with a full haste setup with hellfire, a KC would be better, but have yet to get one. I use haste gear for TP build then macro in Racc gear and such for WS.

Works for me, but i am partial to anything atm that gives haste or fast TP :P
 Bahamut.Phey
サーバ: Bahamut
user: buddumsp
By Bahamut.Phey 2010-01-16 09:28:03  
Ramuh.Deebs said:
I've only ever been outparsed in bird merits by other rangers and the occasional omgwtfdrg. Every war I've ever merited with has had chump change numbers compared to rng.

Mamool are a different story. I'd rather go sch and heal.
The only way you are doing this is with the wrong buffs by your brd. In a typical brd/cor setup march x2 Chaos Cor's a Rng shouldn't beat any good melee unless that Rng is using a kclub or relic.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zitale
By Carbuncle.Zitale 2010-01-16 21:26:34  
Oblisk said:
Zitale are you trying to be funny and say that ranger meriting on birds is good? If not please explain.
I'm not saying that Rng is better then other jobs.
I'm not saying that Rng > everything else at birds.
I'm usualy the Rdm in merit PTs, and YES, most Rngs are a pain to keep alive on birds as they often just want big numbers and WANT to be hit to show they got hate overs others.
(Side note: not all rangers are berserk and are unable to hold on the "Shoot!" macro)

Still, I don't think rangers are wrong to want to go merit on birds.
- Birds are weak to piercing ... Rangers can take birds down quite fast ... of course they'll want to merit on Birds!
- Even IF Sam and War where better then Rng on colibri(I'm not sayign they're not), it's not a reason for Rng NOT to merit on birds. Are you saying Mnks, Drgs, Drks, should not merit on birds because Sam & War are better (I'm just following your logic here)
- If you want to be elitist, and want only War(s) & Sam(s), 2x Brd and Rdm in your PT, you're allowed to make it that way! But don't expect everyone to do like you, and don't expect there will always be War & Sam lfg.
- Unlike me and you, not everyone have a "popular" jobs to use to merit Rng. And I know if I had just Ranger job, I'd want it merited way before I level another lv75 job.
- Even if YOU don't like rangers in merit PTs, there is ppls who invite rangers in their merit PTs. Either they like rangers, either there is no Sam, or War lfg ... and guess what? THEY DO GET XP IN THESES PTS TOOO!!! WOW!

I'm not saying you're wrong thinking Sam & War is better then Rngs in bird merit parties, I say it's not the only way.
And if you think it should be, please it explain to me!!!
Because I don't understand at all why rangers should not merits on birds.

And yes, I'm always trying to be funny ^^
"Trying" is the key word!
 Bahamut.Phey
サーバ: Bahamut
user: buddumsp
By Bahamut.Phey 2010-01-16 21:48:15  
Carbuncle.Zitale said:
Oblisk said:
I'm not saying that Rng is better then other jobs.
I'm not saying that Rng > everything else at birds.
I'm usualy the Rdm in merit PTs, and YES, most Rngs are a pain to keep alive on birds as they often just want big numbers and WANT to be hit to show they got hate overs others.
(Side note: not all rangers are berserk and are unable to hold on the "Shoot!" macro)

Still, I don't think rangers are wrong to want to go merit on birds.
- Birds are weak to piercing ... Rangers can take birds down quite fast ... of course they'll want to merit on Birds!
- Even IF Sam and War where better then Rng on colibri(I'm not sayign they're not), it's not a reason for Rng NOT to merit on birds. Are you saying Mnks, Drgs, Drks, should not merit on birds because Sam & War are better (I'm just following your logic here)
- If you want to be elitist, and want only War(s) & Sam(s), 2x Brd and Rdm in your PT, you're allowed to make it that way! But don't expect everyone to do like you, and don't expect there will always be War & Sam lfg.
- Unlike me and you, not everyone have a "popular" jobs to use to merit Rng. And I know if I had just Ranger job, I'd want it merited way before I level another lv75 job.
- Even if YOU don't like rangers in merit PTs, there is ppls who invite rangers in their merit PTs. Either they like rangers, either there is no Sam, or War lfg ... and guess what? THEY DO GET XP IN THESES PTS TOOO!!! WOW!

I'm not saying you're wrong thinking Sam & War is better then Rngs in bird merit parties, I say it's not the only way.
And if you think it should be, please it explain to me!!!
Because I don't understand at all why rangers should not merits on birds.

And yes, I'm always trying to be funny ^^
"Trying" is the key word!
I don't invite Rng's to merit PTs because most Rng's don't have the gear level to compete in a meripo with a Sam/War/Drg/Drk. Normally the Rng's who do have this gear level have another job that would be more accepted and cheaper for them overall to merit on.
 Carbuncle.Zitale
By Carbuncle.Zitale 2010-01-16 21:56:44  
It's your right to not want Rangers in your merit PTs.
At least you don't say Rangers should not merit =)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [68 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Rilu
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Rilu
By Unicorn.Rilu 2010-03-25 12:24:59  
Only time I take my ranger to merit is when I need XP buffer - other than that I usually go Warrior (merely for voke usually, to help control pulling) or Bard. When I merit on Bard though, I personally prefer BLU burn over anything else - its the least amount of work for me because my 7mp/tick for the BLU's keeps their MP fine, and they can duo bird NP. RDM, BRD, BLUx4 is my favorite.

Again, with Merit parties - its really all a matter of choice and flavor - hell, all the "best setups" really are getting around the same EXP/hour anyways, I always find it funny when people talk about maxing out damage on birds- seems so anti-productive. All these people meriting to put merits into their jobs solely to allow them to be "better" at meriting? I always chuckle at that.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [77 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Kyrael
user: Kyrael
By Ramuh.Kyrael 2010-06-10 23:15:01  
hmmm its all interesting I've bee looking @ the Courser's Pugio in comparasion to my fransisca and Kriegsbeil not sure which would be a bit better... also anyone else not getting store TP but going for snapeshot stacking for TP
 Caitsith.Iphone
By Caitsith.Iphone 2010-06-10 23:35:22  
Kyrael it's all situational. I would prefer Kreigs over that knife due to the r.attack on Kreigs, and Fransisca, honestly. Pot-au-fue normaly takes care of the r.accuracy issue.
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-06-11 05:01:52  
No dear gods no.
Quote:
also anyone else not getting store TP but going for snapeshot stacking for TP

I dont understand, the only places youre really getting SS are
Zha goh's Barbut
Mirke Wardecors
Merits
Anwig Salade (very not smart)
Ebon Jerkin/Visor

Thats pretty much it. The SS boosts generally come from body and head slots, while Store TP are generally Ring, legs, feet, ear, neck. They dont really conflict with one another.
 Bismarck.Killercat
By Bismarck.Killercat 2010-06-11 07:17:25  
Hmm another thread going offtopic xD

If you use staff or axe or any other weapon is situational.
Using a staff with /sam and you can make use of Hasso for another +5 STR, which is a great modifier for Sidewinder.

On mobs that take longer to get down a, I like going /nin with Fransisca and Tartaglia for added -5enm and shadows, cause the chance is high you get the attention and get wasted. (Yea I'm too poor for a Kriegsbeil] xD)
 Bismarck.Aryden
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-06-11 17:44:16  
each sub job and each weapon setup very much depends on the rest of your gear as well as merits. If your gear isnt up to par and you cannot merit archery/marksmanship, then youre probably going to want to sub nin and dual franny/kreigs. However, if you're confident in your racc, you're merited, then Vulcan's/Mekki + axe grip with sam sub is the way to go.

Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-11 17:54:46  
Well there is some decent amount of store tp on the body... if you trying for 4 hit build on gun
 Carbuncle.Laitha
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-06-15 09:23:27  
I have experienced a 4 hit build on RNG/SAM and it was very impressive compared to my experiences with a k club. I would say that 4 hit gun build would be better than kclub but it would be mostly situational depending on what you were doing. I am working on getting more stp gear so i can get to a 4hit /sam or 5 hit /war that is not dependant on a sam roll from a cor.

my perfect merit party happens to be

laitha on rng
makenshe on sam or rng
brd
cor
rdm
6th slot can be whatever cuz those 2 dd could outparse 2-3 dd each.

i hope to see some nice options that change all of this 76 to 99.