users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG Best DD? ah.... No
RNG Best DD? ah.... No
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-21 16:05:40  
I personally haven't done it, but I know it's possible, with Culverin+1 doing easily 3k on non-piercing mobs, with proper buffs.

Granted, I was assuming said RNG also has a Kclub, because if DRK gets one, why wouldn't RNG?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-21 16:07:37  
Siren.Enternius said:
Granted, I was assuming said RNG also has a Kclub, because if DRK gets one, why wouldn't RNG?

Because a Ranger will barely manage to hit things that are worth zerging if they're using a club.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-21 16:11:28  
Need I point out that RNG has over 30 more base ACC with Club than DRK?

And for any NM that you're zerging, I would hope to god you have a THF using Feint anyway.
By Gawdless 2009-11-21 16:39:38  
Enternius first off no offense but a rng would gimp his dmg too much on hnm with kc, mainly because hes taking out all his ranged att dmg for just getting tp. and then he gimps his ws because he is so close to the mob. not only that but souleater gives like 25 acc that and all the other great gear drk get that give haste/acc. and what would you sub? /sam gives you 60tp..evvery 3mins...ok not great for zerg. /wars double att will hurt kc(there goes your zerk for extra dmg) i mean really all you have is /drg for the acc and 5% haste if you have wyvern earring other than that your limited. and you would miss alot with kc if not using sushi. which further hinders your already lowered att+. unless your a relic rng that has namas arrow for +acc then i would say kcrng wont do that great on hnm.
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-11-21 17:00:42  
Needless to say even if they did hit, would they hit for damage, without having some good attack bonuses? DRK doesn't have to worry about it because they only use with SE so its auto 200+(up to 300~) a swing >.>
 Carbuncle.Laitha
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2009-12-04 13:52:28  
I don't know why anyone is defending RNG? We had our day back before the nerf and well we have gone the way of the dodo. Quite frankly I get out DD'd by PUP all the time even at odin and so does every RNG on carby. I know that sounds crazy, but hell my 41 ninja out DD's 75RNG with that sweet A- Throwing skill. We are lucky SE even considers us a DD because I thought Ranger was more a suppoort job with our scavage and shadowbind job abilities. Those skills set us far above jobs like Bard or Corsair. Nothing is better than a ranger with his scavage ability to get all the items needs for a whole 33 demon arrows at an HNM camp. Hell if I Hq I can get 99 and thats a stack. You how the saying goes: "Behind every good SAM there is a ranger crafting him some demon arrows".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Divinite
user: Divinite
By Carbuncle.Divinite 2009-12-04 14:16:19  
lmao Laitha!
 Caitsith.Lerond
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Lerond
By Caitsith.Lerond 2009-12-04 14:20:33  
RNG are kings at mobs that are kited as they are nearly always attacking and you will see it that they will die most but dont assume every RNG is good cause if there gear sucks and they got no merits they could be better on something else.
[+]
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2009-12-07 17:50:32  
"I don't know why anyone is defending RNG? We had our day back before the nerf and well we have gone the way of the dodo. Quite frankly I get out DD'd by PUP all the time even at odin and so does every RNG on carby. I know that sounds crazy, but hell my 41 ninja out DD's 75RNG with that sweet A- Throwing skill. We are lucky SE even considers us a DD because I thought Ranger was more a suppoort job with our scavage and shadowbind job abilities. Those skills set us far above jobs like Bard or Corsair. Nothing is better than a ranger with his scavage ability to get all the items needs for a whole 33 demon arrows at an HNM camp. Hell if I Hq I can get 99 and thats a stack. You how the saying goes: "Behind every good SAM there is a ranger crafting him some demon arrows"."

I lol at you. There isnt a pup i have found yet, unless fully merits, using blm auto, nuking Physical resistant mobs, that could out dd ME as a Rng. And our day still exists, if youre not performing adequately to turn heads, then youre failing, not the class. And it makes me cry seeing the gear you have on your Rng and the fact that youre not performing.

On the other hand, i seriously hope you were 'Loling" in which case, you got me.
 Midgardsormr.Echion
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-10 01:51:25  
Man oh man oh man! Anyone that says Rng is a poor DD under ANY circumstance obviously has never played the job or doesnt know how to play it. Speaking as a very experienced Rng *Yoichi ftw* With the proper setup you wont even need brd or cor support to out DD others WITH the brd/cor support. Gearing rng properly isnt hard but lately ive seen alot of very poor rng's. Lately people are trying to stack too much Agi and accuracy. DO NOT DO THIS. People represintin rng like that are a disgrace.

I would pay to see a very well geard Sam out parse a very well geard Rng.

I welcome any challengers ;)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vincentius
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Vincentius 2009-12-10 02:10:16  
Siren.Enternius said:

DRK: C- skill, caps at 220 at 75. Also has Souleater available to them, which provides +25 accuracy while active. Of course a DRK would only be using KC when that's up. Not to mention will likely have more accuracy in melee gear than a RNG.

RNG: E skill in club, caps at 200 at lv75. No JA to enhance melee accuracy.

You realize just in JA/JT's this puts it about 15 accuracy in DRK's favor right? No more talking out your *** Eternius.
[+]
 Odin.Ahligieri
サーバ: Odin
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-12-10 02:11:58  
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
I don't know why anyone is defending RNG? We had our day back before the nerf and well we have gone the way of the dodo. Quite frankly I get out DD'd by PUP all the time even at odin and so does every RNG on carby. I know that sounds crazy, but hell my 41 ninja out DD's 75RNG with that sweet A- Throwing skill. We are lucky SE even considers us a DD because I thought Ranger was more a suppoort job with our scavage and shadowbind job abilities. Those skills set us far above jobs like Bard or Corsair. Nothing is better than a ranger with his scavage ability to get all the items needs for a whole 33 demon arrows at an HNM camp. Hell if I Hq I can get 99 and thats a stack. You how the saying goes: "Behind every good SAM there is a ranger crafting him some demon arrows".

I don't know why I laughed reading this but I did lol
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-12-10 02:37:09  
Midgardsormr.Echion said:
RECYCLE MERITS

Go die.

Beyond stupid topic to begin with how it reticules the job, let alone it being by a guy on my server who's a joke in general (shura togi Samurai WOOHOO), so I'm willing to assume he's just butt hurt about Ranger.

Not going to argue, since I'll admit Ranger does have its' places without question, but even with Yoichinoyumi, I'd never bother leveling it; my job does everything I want and/or need it to do.
 Remora.Abriel
サーバ: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-10 02:40:39  
if you know anything about ffxi math you'd know that rng is the strongest DD, but you pay a very heavy price over time if you want it to stay on top (not always the case since a lot of long time rng make their own ammo). all I see from people trying to say that it isn't is, "lawl, if u bnd-fawld tham an' spin 'em 'rawnd likes a doodley tawp...". if you can't do ffxi math (it's simple math for god's sake) you shouldn't even bother trying to argue what's better and go back to posting 'lol questions' on BG's 'what's better' thread to get laughed at.

this has got to be a toll thread if anything~
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-10 02:42:07  
K.club rangers only have two places: Merit parties and Campaign. Using this setup anywhere else generally tends to be detrimental to yourself and the group you play with, in the form of feeding too much TP to the mob. Plus it negates the whole purpose of being a Ranger, having to be in melee range to make any use of a K.club.

The whole reason Ranger is a superior DD is it's ability to do RANGED damage. Thus staying out of AoE attack range, keeping yourself alive to produce constant and consistent damage throughout a fight without creating extra burden on your healers and support jobs. The only limiting factor is personal hate control. Knowing your hate threshold is the key to a good ranger.

It is this same theory that allowed some of history's greatest military minds to succeed in battle. People like Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Hannibal, Attila the Hun... all of their success contributed to the strategic use of different forms of archery. Look it up if you don't believe me.

The same strategy holds true in FFXI, and still holds true today in the real world. (in the form of modern guns, missiles, etc.) The ability to do great damage to your enemy without putting yourself in danger is what makes the tactic so powerful.

Because of that, Rangers will always be a superior DD in FFXI.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-10 02:42:24  
You need to fix your quotes dood. I never said recycle merits check my posts.

Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-12-10 02:44:16  

Woosh.

And while I do like the theory Sovereign... I hate to admit it, but we're fighting dragons, toucan sams, floating robots, and giant purple lions with scorpion tails in this game, not eachother; Ballista stands very true though with this in mind... as much as I more prefer going on knifing sprees in Modern Warfare 2.
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-10 02:51:29  
sorry, Iloled
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-10 02:59:39  
Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
And while I do like the theory Sovereign... I hate to admit it, but we're fighting dragons, toucan sams, floating robots, and giant purple lions with scorpion tails in this game, not eachother (Ballista stands very true though with this in mind).

The theory is the same, the target is irrelevant.

This is why Rangers are a popular choice at HNM targets, particularly Dark Ixion, Odin, Cerberus, Khimaira, Kirin, Pandemonium Warden, and various other endgame targets. Black Mages do similar work, being able to do great damage while staying out the attack range of most damaging abilities.

Just because it's a video game doesnt make the strategy void.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-12-10 03:42:43  
Older parse from when I still went /WAR (not that it's bad, but it's still not as good as /DRG for this fight), but nonetheless:

August 5th, an hour after I got home from having all four of my wisdom teeth yanked; surprised I even lasted long enough for this fight that day, seeing how I was ready to pass out at any moment. I'd use a more recent parse, but seeing how I've yet to pick up the latest version where it includes the new ranged attack prompts, I'm pretty sure we'd rather look at true information instead of me randomly parsing +60% easily due to technical error.

Dark Ixion:

Offensive

On the other hand though, defensive

So to that end, you're right about not taking as much damage, that's for sure, but in reality you may as well call me a tank, because I'm purposely doing as much damage as I can (like all melee should be), and in-turn it keeps it off the rangers while I instead take the (majority of) hits for them.

If it's a matter of "pulling the least amount of hate period", then by all means it's black mage in the end, but even past that, mages in an alliance are purely capable of curing (if not, spamming) whoever dared to grab the target's attention in the first place.

Perhaps a little different with Namas Arrow considered, but still, even with me eating loads more damage than I should normally (Khimaira prime example), good mages have no problem keeping up the entire time with a source of refresh backing them (like they should have at a fight such as that).

Like I said earlier though, it goes without saying that Ranger does have its' own place at least.
 Midgardsormr.Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-10 03:57:47  
Umm got a prob with having 5/5 recycle? I thought about using them on stealth but I very rarely get to use Rng for endgame. My rdm is abused in that respect. I use rng for meriting, nyzul and various other things other than endgame battlefields. So having 5/5 recycle is alot cheaper on me. No need for stealth shot. If my SW doesnt kill what i aim it towards then thats my fail.

But dont go trying to re-word what i've said in the forums. I dont recommend merits for anyone its up to personal preference and how you use the job.

[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-10 04:11:44  
parsing isn't accurate enough to use as any kind of evidence, mainly because it shows player error in action (it can also make a player try harder to swing around the biggest e-peen while others are staring and thinking, "wtf man, cool down."). on the other hand, doing the math only gives you absolutes (well, closer to absolutes because SE's random number generators are wonky at best), meaning that final performance is ultimatly determined by the player themself.

not trying to put you down or discredit sam's ability, just trying to show the errors in what you're 'bringing to the table'.
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-10 04:20:26  
lol, ok ech, I'll give ya that. without being able to take rng to higher level NMs flashy shot does lose it's usefulness (ended up doing the math on it and it came out to ~16.5% increase in damage per use in situations it would be most beneficial, it's hard for me to determine it's total dot increase/sec because I haven't researched fully merited rng with multiple weapons yet).
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-10 04:42:34  
I like the parse, shows basically exactly what I was trying to convey.

I'm assuming you were on SAM during that parse? In terms of pure efficiency, that battle could have been smoothed out by removing you entirely. Not because you weren't dealing damage (obviously not the case as the highest parser) but in terms of overall damage taken by your alliance as well as how hard everyone has to work to win the battle. By dealing so much damage with no obvious concern for your health you purposely created more work for everyone in your alliance. Just because they're good players and can keep up with you doesnt mean they should have to. Again, it's an efficiency theory.

I wish that parse had the jobs by thier names, it'd make it easier to break down. Either way, you'll notice your Rangers (Darkwolfx, Naten, Nobure?) had high damage output while taking very little damage themselves. Your melee (Ironguy, Resulted?) did some real good damage too, but also accounted for a large portion of the entire damage taken.

Again, it'd simply be more efficient to reduce the overall damage taken of your alliance as a whole, leaving your healers free to focus on the tank and reduce their overall workload. In the parse you posted, swapping your SAM for another RNG would have left your alliance with the same damage output, but a much lower score in the overall damage taken.

Thanks for proving the superiority of Ranger. You gotta remember, being a good damage dealer isn't all about how much damage you do, but also how much damage you take.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-10 04:49:10  
<3 soverign
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-10 04:51:35  
as I stated parses aren't accurate enough. just looking at it it's unknown wether or not those rng held back to avoid hate, were infact giving their all, or were just being lazy while eating dinner. I mean it's prety clear that IG was more or less giving his all without concern for himself, but we don't even know if those other players knew they were being parsed (you don't normally show up to an event and say, "hey guys, I'm going to parse this fight, so give it your all and what not.").

I understand what you're saying though Sov, lol.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-12-10 05:07:53  
Remora.Abriel said:
as I stated parses aren't accurate enough. just looking at it it's unknown wether or not those rng held back to avoid hate, were infact giving their all, or were just being lazy while eating dinner. I mean it's prety clear that IG was more or less giving his all without concern for himself, but we don't even know if those other players knew they were being parsed (you don't normally show up to an event and say, "hey guys, I'm going to parse this fight, so give it your all and what not."). I understand what you're saying though Sov, lol.

yeah you're correct in that it may not be 100% accurate due to the reasons you stated above (amongst other reasons). Either way the efficiency theory remains the same.
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-10 05:18:34  
I know, I opt for efficiency myself. by definition the meaning changes in every situation, it's also the reason I take the statement, "just because you're able to do something doesn't necessarily mean you should." very seriously, lol.
 Carbuncle.Laitha
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2009-12-10 05:58:10  
Bismarck.Aryden said:
"I don't know why anyone is defending RNG? We had our day back before the nerf and well we have gone the way of the dodo. Quite frankly I get out DD'd by PUP all the time even at odin and so does every RNG on carby. I know that sounds crazy, but hell my 41 ninja out DD's 75RNG with that sweet A- Throwing skill. We are lucky SE even considers us a DD because I thought Ranger was more a suppoort job with our scavage and shadowbind job abilities. Those skills set us far above jobs like Bard or Corsair. Nothing is better than a ranger with his scavage ability to get all the items needs for a whole 33 demon arrows at an HNM camp. Hell if I Hq I can get 99 and thats a stack. You how the saying goes: "Behind every good SAM there is a ranger crafting him some demon arrows"." I lol at you. There isnt a pup i have found yet, unless fully merits, using blm auto, nuking Physical resistant mobs, that could out dd ME as a Rng. And our day still exists, if youre not performing adequately to turn heads, then youre failing, not the class. And it makes me cry seeing the gear you have on your Rng and the fact that youre not performing. On the other hand, i seriously hope you were 'Loling" in which case, you got me.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. My merits still need some serious work and I need to complete my relic gun. The only people that outperform me are relic owners. The only thing I hate is constantly getting asked why relic gun over relic bow.