users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » August 2022 Version Update
August 2022 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 21 22 23
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 07:32:19  
I can live with the look. I'll defend art as I have for 30 years, and I'll critique honestly based upon the training of those 30+ years and those who taught me. I have very little in my life that I'm actually confident enough about to die on a hill for, but this is one that I am quite ok with.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2022-08-11 07:33:20  
Draylo said: »
Shes been doing XI songs for over a decade. Has nothing to do with the games budget, he just got a stick up his ***.

Plenty more as well https://vgmdb.net/artist/10764

The group in general has a bit of experience (Takuro Iga https://vgmdb.net/artist/14548 n' Naoshi Mizuta https://vgmdb.net/artist/610 ).

Not like they pulled people outta nowhere for it.

Fine as it seems to me, the backing track (at least) seems pretty generic. /shrug
By RadialArcana 2022-08-11 07:49:36  
YouTube Video Placeholder

not my vid
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-11 08:07:07  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Shes been doing XI songs for over a decade. Has nothing to do with the games budget, he just got a stick up his ***.
please. do tell me your ability to properly critique a violinist's technique or compositional integrity. Or to compare music written for SE today vs 15 years ago. Or really anything beyond gaming statues.

Its not a stick up my ***- this is my lane, I'm staying in it and sharing what my lifetime has given me the ability to comment on beyond fanboy status. Its not completely your fault- proper musical analysis is not something taught outside of conservatories any more. But at least show a margin of appreciation when someone who did spend a lifetime on such things comments. You don't have to agree with me- of *** course not!- but don't you dare say my comments are just some whiny punk with "a stick up his ***".

The problem is not that you're critical of the piece, but that you aren't actually making the criticisms. You say her technique's bad; okay, how so? Use those thirty years of training and educate us.

Is it because you worry we wouldn't understand, or you worry you couldn't explain it? If either is true, that's not exactly making a great case for the future of formal music training!

EDIT: I mean, I think the piece is a little dull, sure. It's what, 12 measures without changing chords? wack, but it's not like I need philip ***' glass for running around beating up monsters in Sortie
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2022-08-11 08:15:55  
I don't have a lifetime of musical analysis.

but I think it sounds pretty funky. I like it. Prefer some of the other XI tracks but it's good.
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 08:18:34  
please. do tell me your ability to properly critique a violinist's technique or compositional integrity. Or to compare music written for SE today vs 15 years ago. Or really anything beyond gaming statues.

Its not a stick up my ***- this is my lane, I'm staying in it and sharing what my lifetime has given me the ability to comment on beyond fanboy status. Its not completely your fault- proper musical analysis is not something taught outside of conservatories any more. But at least show a margin of appreciation when someone who did spend a lifetime on such things comments. You don't have to agree with me- of *** course not!- but don't you dare say my comments are just some whiny punk with "a stick up his ***".
Play me a violin
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 08:20:51  
They shoulda let BLM body force all nukes to be critial. A set of armor for nukes that are not MBs would be nice? idk, not a BLM
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 08:33:31  
ScaevolaBahamut said: »

The problem is not that you're critical of the piece, but that you aren't actually making the criticisms. You say her technique's bad; okay, how so? Use those thirty years of training and educate us.

Is it because you worry we wouldn't understand, or you worry you couldn't explain it? If either is true, that's not exactly making a great case for the future of formal music training!

EDIT: I mean, I think the piece is a little dull, sure. It's what, 12 measures without changing chords? wack, but it's not like I need philip ***' glass for running around beating up monsters in Sortie

It might take me a while to realize it on this subject, but I can eventually see that I'm trying to have a conversation just not desired by the majority in a thread not meant for it in the first place^^ but I will at least try to delve into a few comments you made here in hopes of clarification.

No, I would never avoid a discussion out of fear that those I am conversing with wouldn't understand. That's often one of the cheapest excuses to hold an opinion and avoid challenges to it- I'm with ya there.

Regarding the criticisms of the player's technique I made: 100% admit I am a bassoonist and conductor, not a violinist. However, I can observe her bow angle and how flat it is and that results in breaks in the line when changing between strings. A higher bow angle reduces those breaks to create what strings are most known for- long phrases that due to not being a wind instrument are only possible on a bowed string instrument. Her chin angle also creates a very nice visual of her facial expressions while playing, but hampers the resonance of the whole instrument- she's basically cutting off half the wood's natural vibrations just to smile at us.

Regarding the "baseness" of the composition itself: its just aggregated rhythms and re-hashed melodies rather than something new and worth celebrating. Now, in a video game just like in a movie, having memorable themes that get re-used throughout is a common technique and one that makes sense- we as the audience should associate certain melodies with characters as that auditory connection adds a layer to our processing. Think of any iconic moment in a movie, and you probably mentally hear the music that was paired with the visual, and splitting the two becomes almost impossible. But re-hashing "safe" things is not the same as theme and variation techniques used in composition.

Lastly, your "Philip ***' Glass while running around Sortie" made my entire week^^ Personally, I play all my FFXI to the tunes of John Cage's 4:33 :P
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 08:44:09  
Uhhh the price of Etched Memories didn't increase after patch and now I am holding about 800 that I paid 18m for. Wonder if available stocks for sale will diminish soon and the price increase...
サーバ: Asura
user: Hiraishin
By Asura.Hiraishinsenna 2022-08-11 08:53:11  
it won't increase, not on Asura at least, there's always bots farming dark matter and other stuff from vagary and there's always plenty of supply of memories
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-11 08:57:55  
Regarding the criticisms of the player's technique I made: 100% admit I am a bassoonist and conductor, not a violinist. However, I can observe her bow angle and how flat it is and that results in breaks in the line when changing between strings. A higher bow angle reduces those breaks to create what strings are most known for- long phrases that due to not being a wind instrument are only possible on a bowed string instrument. Her chin angle also creates a very nice visual of her facial expressions while playing, but hampers the resonance of the whole instrument- she's basically cutting off half the wood's natural vibrations just to smile at us.

Okay, I'm sorry, but you get that this isn't an actual recorded performance of the song you're watching, right? It's a promo video with the actual recording dubbed over it. They aren't miked or soundproofed and there's a dude with a camera tromping around. If her technique is terrible and you can get that from the audio recording, fine, but it's a little odd to criticize her for mugging for the camera when she was most likely directed to do exactly that - why even have this video otherwise?

Quote:
Regarding the "baseness" of the composition itself: its just aggregated rhythms and re-hashed melodies rather than something new and worth celebrating. Now, in a video game just like in a movie, having memorable themes that get re-used throughout is a common technique and one that makes sense- we as the audience should associate certain melodies with characters as that auditory connection adds a layer to our processing. Think of any iconic moment in a movie, and you probably mentally hear the music that was paired with the visual, and splitting the two becomes almost impossible. But re-hashing "safe" things is not the same as theme and variation techniques used in composition.

Yeah, I agree the composition's extremely whatever. Mizuta's pretty mediocre IMO but that's hardly news. Video game battle music has always been rhythmic and repetitive, though: it's basically serving the same purpose as a military march.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2022-08-11 09:02:12  
hmm with wardrobes up to 8 I might actually enjoy playing Odyssey bosses. I did plan to come back when the empy upgrades came out

changing jobs sucked really badly when I cannot carry all my gear.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 09:10:31  
Yeah, I agree the composition's extremely whatever. Mizuta's pretty mediocre IMO but that's hardly news. Video game battle music has always been rhythmic and repetitive, though: it's basically serving the same purpose as a military march.

There was a really good study done a few years ago about video game battle music, and how its purposely written to increase pulse rate in hopes of causing mistakes by the player- really fascinating stuff on the mixed-meter favoritism and offbeat accents that are so common. I get the analogy of a military march, but in a very real sense its purpose is actually the exact opposite of that. A march is at its core designed to instill repetition and organization, while gaming battle music wants to break that organization into chaos to increase the difficulty of the encounter without actually changing anything in gameplay :)
[+]
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2022-08-11 09:11:26  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

Wow. To think someone got PAID to write, perform, and video that hot garbage....and meanwhile legitimate musicians are giving away concerts for free that no one attends.

Garbage? JEEZE, it is definitely not bad. Sounds similar to Omen and is decent.

WTF - This ***is fire

If those Musicians were good people would attend.

If the standard for what is good is popularity, I weep for the world.

Trust me, its poppy garbage "written" (I should rather say assembled) out of aggregation designed to not upset or offend the most people possible rather than take a risk and maybe alienate some, but truly instill passion in others.

Also, her technique is straight up offensive. I've seen Carolina fiddle players with better wrist and bow technique, and let's not even start in on her posture is designed to make all the weebs wet in their diapers rather than caring about playing.

yeah the violin community is not toxic at all
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 09:13:19  
ain't that the *** truth lmao. Lemme tell you stories some day about the razor blades stuck between keys on the pianos in Julliard Practice rooms sometime^^
By Starbucks 2022-08-11 09:17:10  
Asura.Hiraishinsenna said: »
it won't increase, not on Asura at least, there's always bots farming dark matter and other stuff from vagary and there's always plenty of supply of memories
Damn, are they running 24/7? At least I only paid 22k each and can probably use a couple hundred of them for myself.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-11 09:20:36  

There was a really good study done a few years ago about video game battle music, and how its purposely written to increase pulse rate in hopes of causing mistakes by the player- really fascinating stuff on the mixed-meter favoritism and offbeat accents that are so common. I get the analogy of a military march, but in a very real sense its purpose is actually the exact opposite of that. A march is at its core designed to instill repetition and organization, while gaming battle music wants to break that organization into chaos to increase the difficulty of the encounter without actually changing anything in gameplay :)

No, a march is designed to instill ENDURANCE. The organization comes from trained discipline and the music gives you something else to concentrate on so you can perform that repetitive task for hours.

I don't know what this study found, but you could ask literally anyone who does any kind of cardiovascular exercise whether hard-rhythm music makes sustaining a regular pace easier. If battle music is designed to make battles harder it's because the battles themselves (supposedly) require mental engagement marching music is designed to shut off.
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-08-11 09:32:37  
I know I was guilty of this too... but ffxiah be like.

Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 09:34:22  
Its not just the raw rhythmic aspect of battle music that I reference- its the purposeful use of mixed-meter time signatures and off-beat accents that while giving the player a sense of rhythmic predictability also mess with that predictability. Its not all just 4/4, essentially- and when it is, its not given a standard 2-4 strong beat feel.

So I do agree completely that if the rhythm of the music is standard, it is perfect for repetitive tasks and focus. But take those same aspects and mess with that predictable aspect just a hair, and its like walking with an uneven pace.
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-08-11 09:36:21  

No, a march is designed to instill ENDURANCE. The organization comes from trained discipline and the music gives you something else to concentrate on so you can perform that repetitive task for hours.

I don't know what this study found, but you could ask literally anyone who does any kind of cardiovascular exercise whether hard-rhythm music makes sustaining a regular pace easier. If battle music is designed to make battles harder it's because the battles themselves (supposedly) require mental engagement marching music is designed to shut off.
Ok, ok, I'll just say what EVERYONE is thinking. *** VIOLINS. METAL PLZ.

[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 09:36:22  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
I know I was guilty of this too... but ffxiah be like.

hey its better than $600 statues of 14 year old gaming heroes.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-11 09:39:36  
I always find myself with worse focus with battle music off than with it on. I don't notice any difference in the differing meters and such, but the thematic and/or blood pumping music helps me tune out other distractions and get into a good pace.

I'm curious as to how said study figured out said intended purpose (as in it's actually taught as a goal in video game composing), rather than it being an incidental result of what is popular in battle music for other reasons.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 09:46:24  
Asura.Geriond said: »
I always find myself with worse focus with battle music off than with it on. I don't notice any difference in the differing meters and such, but the thematic and/or blood pumping music helps me tune out other distractions and get into a good pace.

I'm curious as to how said study figured out said intended purpose (as in it's actually taught as a goal in video game composing), rather than it being an incidental result of what is popular in battle music for other reasons.
I'm digging- a friend in composition shared it with me about 3 years ago I believe. But it is an interesting chicken/egg debate- are composers purposely composing in a style designed to add tension (and thus increase mistakes) via the music, or does the desired/expected style of battle music result in those things naturally?
[+]
By Aquatiq 2022-08-11 09:48:20  

so you're saying i could be saving a ton of money on those little blue pills just by blasting the washington post march? more like John Philip SEX!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-08-11 09:50:43  
Aquatiq said: »

so you're saying i could be saving a ton of money on those little blue pills just by blasting the washington post march? more like John Philip SEX!

I find Washington Post a little too slow. Personally I'd opt for a Karl King march for bumpin' uglies myself, or better yet if in the mood for some sweet luvvin' "March of the Belgian Paratroopers" is my go-to.
By Meeble 2022-08-11 10:02:32  
RadialArcana said: »

not my vid

This video feels like a one-man podcast reading the wiki for 30 minutes, but I have to hand it to the guy for this deadpan delivery a few minutes in:

YouTube voiceover said:
uhh, yeah. I probably should not have started with black mage since I'm trying to hype things and black mage can never get anything good.

anyway, next we have blue mage...

Comedy gold.
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2022-08-11 10:07:01  

Goddess....peed... D=
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-08-11 10:11:37  
I knew when I posted that reply this would happen when I tucked myself into bed..

Ffxiah trolling 101

SE should just delete blm at this point... no love at all
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-11 10:12:11  
Asura.Geriond said: »

I'm digging- a friend in composition shared it with me about 3 years ago I believe. But it is an interesting chicken/egg debate- are composers purposely composing in a style designed to add tension (and thus increase mistakes) via the music, or does the desired/expected style of battle music result in those things naturally?

I think the linchpin here is that RPG battles are easy. Maybe hyper-rhythmic music would throw you off if you routinely had to make difficult, split-second decisions, but you almost never do.

On reflection, Tetris is a much better example of a game that's noticeably easier with the music off and think that's pretty much exactly the difference.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-11 10:14:10  
Aquatiq said: »

This was DEFINITELY an episode of some mid-to-late 2000's sitcom episode or another. Like, I distinctly remember it but I'm blanking on the show.
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 21 22 23