Election 2020 The Horse Race (Not Misspelled)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Election 2020 the horse race (Not misspelled)
Election 2020 the horse race (Not misspelled)
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 35
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2020-08-26 21:45:31  
volkom said: »
we should wait and get the facts before we start blaming and rioting

Why waste all that opportunity, just smash and burn everything, then blame it on Trump.

I mean why waste a perfectly good time to sow chaos, dissent and disaster that you can blame on your sworn enemy?
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-26 22:03:03  
Never waste a good crisis, after all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-08-26 22:41:18  
Asura.Saevel said: »
we should wait and get the facts before we start blaming and rioting

Why waste all that opportunity, just smash and burn everything, then blame it on Trump.

I mean why waste a perfectly good time to sow chaos, dissent and disaster that you can blame on your sworn enemy?

THE BEST...IS YET...TO COME!!!!!!!!

How did I do as Kimberly Guilfoyle?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-27 11:17:40  
OPINION PIECE!

Two Visions of America

Quote:
Both during their conventions and outside of them, the Democratic and Republican Parties have shown the American public two visions of our country. And the contrast could not be starker. In order to analyze it, it's essential to separate facts from spin -- particularly media spin, which has been divorced from reality for decades when it comes to Republican politicians and policies but has plumbed new depths of desperation and falsehood since Donald Trump was elected president in 2016.

We're told by Democrats that the United States is an irredeemably racist country, and that "systemic racism" keeps Blacks and other Americans of color from achieving what they otherwise could. But Democrats don't explain Americans like Oprah Winfrey, former President Barack Obama, Sen. Kamala Harris, Colin Kaepernick, Kobe Bryant, Rep. Maxine Waters, LeBron James, Sydney Poitier and countless other Black activists, actors, athletes, teachers, firefighters, politicians, police officers and business owners who have, despite facing discrimination, uphill battles and more difficult odds, achieved incredible success. Either the "system" that was allegedly set up to keep those individuals from succeeding does a remarkably lousy job of it or there's more to the story.

We're told that it's Democrats who truly care for women, minorities, immigrants and children, but it's the left that insults first lady Melania Trump for her status as an immigrant and her accent. It's the left that calls Black and Hispanic conservatives the worst racial slurs. It's the left that mocks and pooh-poohs the accounts of immigrants like Maximo Alvarez who escaped communist Cuba. And it was the left that misjudged pro-life teenager Nick Sandmann, called him a racist with a "punchable face" and sicced the social media mobs on him.

We're told that President Donald Trump and Republicans are fascists, but it's Democratic governors, mayors and prosecutors who have shut down small businesses; who have sent coronavirus patients to be housed among the most vulnerable populations in nursing homes and long-term care facilities; who have released convicted felons from prison but ordered the arrest of religious observers, moms at parks and surfers; and who have allowed rioters and looters to escape scot-free but charged homeowners for defending their home.

We're told that Republicans and conservatives are racists, but it's progressive whites who are screaming racial epithets at minority police and other first responders.

We're told that it's Democrats who can best lead our cities. But Democratic-led cities like New York, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta and even tiny Kenosha, Wisconsin, have seen unprecedented rioting, looting, arson, destruction, vandalism, theft and physical violence -- including murder -- at the hands of criminal mobs of rioters, while the state and local political "leadership" does virtually nothing. Democratic mayors tell the police to stand down. Democratic governors hesitate to call in the National Guard to protect people and property. And Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden barely addresses the violence.

The riots and destruction that Democratic political leaders have allowed to explode and spread in cities across the country make clear that a lot of people in America don't matter. Homeowners don't matter, as they can be screamed at and threatened all hours of the day and night. Business owners -- even and especially minority business owners in the cities ravaged by riots -- don't matter, as their buildings and property are destroyed with impunity. Law-abiding and peace-loving citizens don't matter, as riotous mobs are permitted to burn, vandalize and destroy property; assault people; and even kill people. Law enforcement doesn't matter, as Democratic activists and politicians call for defunding and even abolishing the police.

Meanwhile, what do we see at the Republican convention?

Minorities such as Sen. Tim Scott and football great Herschel Walker, women such as former U.S. Ambassador and South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, and immigrants such as Maximo Alvarez speaking up for the unparalleled opportunities that the United States offers because of liberty and individual rights, notwithstanding our failings. Alvarez, who escaped communist Cuba, warns us about going down the primrose path to collectivism. Activists like Abby Johnson speaks up for the lives of unborn children.

Republicans are pitching optimism, opportunity and the limitless possibilities of the individual in America, regardless of background, religion, race, ethnicity or the obstacles that have existed and continue to exist.

Democrats are pitching anger, hatred, victimhood, resentment, class and racial warfare, and self-loathing. If there is any hope, it lies solely in the hands of an ever-larger government -- led, it must be noted, by the same people who have presided over the devastation and catastrophic failures noted above.

Democratic stalwarts in American history like former Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman and John F. Kennedy must be rolling over in their graves to see what the Democratic Party has reduced itself to. This is what the Democratic National Committee expects Americans to support? This is what it thinks people -- regardless of party affiliation -- want more of?

The election is still 60-plus days away, and there is always an element of unpredictability and the prospect of an unexpected surprise. But at this juncture, it's hard to see how a majority of the American electorate is going to vote for what the Democrats are selling as their vision of America. In truth, it's not even a "vision." It's more like a nightmarish hallucination. Except that it's all too real.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-27 20:23:38  
whats the definition of a riot?
The cops get to define that.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-27 20:36:36  

Something that CNN doesn't show.

Seriously people smashing windows, setting entire car lots on fire and attacking anyone that gets near them. CNN calls it "peaceful protest".

Here are the Democrats "Peaceful Protests".

Welcome to Donald Trump's America.

Are we great again yet?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-27 20:48:50  
If you want to make America worse just to spite Trump, then something tells me that he isn't the problem.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-08-27 21:08:31  
Garuda.Chanti said: »

Something that CNN doesn't show.

Seriously people smashing windows, setting entire car lots on fire and attacking anyone that gets near them. CNN calls it "peaceful protest".

Here are the Democrats "Peaceful Protests".

Welcome to Donald Trump's America.

Are we great again yet?

Reminds me of the footage used on night 1 to show Biden's America, and was actually Barcelona footage.

Then Pence claims a federal officer was killed by left-wing protesters when in fact he was killed by alt-right boogaloos.

It's like the Republicans have to resort to creating this stuff because they have nothing else.
 Ragnarok.Ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-08-27 21:14:41  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
If you want to make America worse just to spite Trump, then something tells me that he isn't the problem.

Re-electing Trump is akin to making America worse. Look at our country in 2016 and now. How exactly did he make America Great again? It's a stinking p*** hole compared to 4 years ago. I don't want to see this country go down that road any longer.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-27 21:18:48  
Ragnarok.Ozment said: »
It's like the Republicans have to resort to creating this stuff because they have nothing else.

This, coming from the guy who has posted memes with quotes attributed to Trump that he never actually said.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-27 21:23:38  

Re-electing Trump is akin to making America worse. Look at our country in 2016 and now. How exactly did he make America Great again? It's a stinking p*** hole compared to 4 years ago. I don't want to see this country go down that road any longer.

He kept Clinton out of office, so that's a pretty good start. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion even if it's based on emotionally-driven nonsense.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-08-27 21:25:37  

This, coming from the guy who has posted memes with quotes attributed to Trump that he never actually said.

This.

Is there a world where a topic can be discussed without digressing into personal confrontation? Whenever you quote and reply to me, you never discuss the actual topic...you just whine about something.
 Ragnarok.Ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-08-27 21:28:11  

He kept Clinton out of office, so that's a pretty good start. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion even if it's based on emotionally-driven nonsense.

My emotionally-driven nonsense.

You really do validate my posts. It reeks of ODS, and you were correct when exclaiming those that have it don't realize it.
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-08-27 21:29:08  
Both of you need to take a step back from each other for a bit.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-27 21:58:05  
Rooks said: »
Both of you need to take a step back from each other for a bit.

I thought it was kind of tame given what has been leveled at me in the past and the fact that there wasn't any name-calling, but it's cool. I'll heed your advice.
[+]
By Prong 2020-08-27 22:03:50  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Prong said: »
In regards to the "mostly peaceful" moniker used- your comparison isn't valid. Its not like we're seeing people who start out "just protesting" and turn into rioters. Its a small percentage of people showing up with an ulterior motive from the start. That's how the "mostly" works in this situation.

Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but I cannot agree with this at all. Soccer riots don't start because people head out "intending" to get involved in a deadly riot where people get trampled. Humans react off of the moment, off of emotion. That perfectly intended protester is just as likely to get caught up in a the moment and become a window breaking, fire starting, old lady punching anarchist as the next guy, because they are human.

I'm fairly sure OJ didn't head over to his ex's house with the intent to kill her (at least from my recollection of the facts that were given during that trial). Pretty sure when he got there and found that very attractive, younger white male there with his ex who he'd already thought was cheating before they divorced (one of the reasons she filed for divorce a couple years earlier) is when he probably just snapped. So, it's a perfect comparison.

Off the bat, I'm not touch the OJ stuff with a 10 foot pole, even from the window of my driving away Bronco.

Your example assumes something- it assumes that everyone showing up to a protest is there for the same reason, and that's just something I can't accept. All sorts of ilk come to a protest, from those who are wholly there for the purpose/cause, and then some who just like chaos and see an opportunity.

The debate then comes about "you are judged by the company you keep"- however the primarily conservative right that brings up violence at protests might want to be careful with that slogan- we can find many examples of bad company they kept as well both recently and over the years.

The fact is that its impossible to judge a group by the actions of the fringe. And you're making the assumption that its all nice and organized without ulterior motives hiding in those fringes. I know by your posts that you can't believe its that binary. There are tons of extremes out there who can subvert the true message trying to get out.

And Ravael hit it on the head- the combination of media focusing on the examples of violence combined with the inability to call out those fringe groups clouds the intended message to the point where its lost, and all that remains are memories and video of the violence, not the George Floyds of the world.

I'm not "assuming" anything. It's just a simple fact.

When you have a mass of people, let's get away from the protests for a second. Let's say, a concert. An outdoor music festival with 30,000 people in attendance. VISUALLY, you can't distinguish one person from another, or why they are there. Some may LOVE one of the bands, some may just be there because their bf/gf made them come, some may be journalists. They don't wear different clothes with marking (normally) to differentiate between them.

Now suddenly, a fight breaks out. A "mosh pit" if you will forms, and hundreds are in the mix. You have ZERO idea if those in that mix came with the INTENT (since intent seems to be your focus) on getting involved in that type of a situation, to act out aggressively, or if they just got caught up in the moment, maybe their gf got run over by someone getting shoved, who knows?

But to firmly state that NO PROTESTERS who go to protests with initially good intentions cannot and do not turn into violent, window-bashing, random dude kicking hooligans at times is flat out wrong. It's just, you'd like to assume more often than not they don't and from my observations of these videos we've been seeing for months, I'm just more inclined due to the evidence presented, more often than not, they do.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-08-28 00:40:22  
no, there really isn't a single desire of mine one way or the other- outside of a desire to not see ANYONE's message clouded by violence. I just want the ideas to duke it out, not the idea holders, so to speak.

And I feel your concert example is actually perfect- You can't tell who started the mosh pit, and can't distinguish who's in it once started. But you can be sure that the next day it won't matter because the story will be "X-named Band's concert marred when fans started fighting". There won't be any nuance in how its reported.

Now, its one thing to stereotype through news reports that all Nickelback fans are foolish moshpit fans who just wanna brawl, brah. Its another thing when a legitimate message trying to be presented is clouded by that type of violence and generalization.

So why try and present a message in a way that can so easily be commandeered by others? Why not enter the field of ideas, and calm debate? Because the people protesting have reached a wit's end and feel that protest is the only way to get their voices heard any more. In an ideal scenario, such grievances would be able to be voiced in a more proper way, and we could actually discuss such matters. I don't think its biased in either direction to say we're well beyond logical discourse actually being a valuable tool.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-28 06:58:01  
no, there really isn't a single desire of mine one way or the other- outside of a desire to not see ANYONE's message clouded by violence. I just want the ideas to duke it out, not the idea holders, so to speak.
If you pay attention at the number of violent "protests" that have been occurring for the past decade, you will notice that it is literally only one side that is the anthologists in these violent "protests".

Not saying that the other side doesn't have violent "protests" either. I'm saying that the vast majority of violent "protests" occur by one ideological group than the other.

Want to guess which side?

The only way to have civil discussions is for both sides of the discussion to be civil. It is impossible to hold civil discussions where the message from the left is literally "words are violence" for justification of their own brand of violence.
[+]
By volkom 2020-08-28 10:04:34  
anyone watch trump's closing speech of the rnc?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-28 10:51:45  

Missed it, unfortunately. Mostly been getting recaps. Aside from the obligatory Orange Man Bad takes on it, the coverage seems neutral-to-good, which is similar to what Biden got. Both candidates pretty much just had to get through their speeches without any major flubs, and they did.
[+]
By volkom 2020-08-28 11:13:13  

Missed it, unfortunately. Mostly been getting recaps. Aside from the obligatory Orange Man Bad takes on it, the coverage seems neutral-to-good, which is similar to what Biden got. Both candidates pretty much just had to get through their speeches without any major flubs, and they did.

I was watching it on CNN ~ Trump was stating a lot of stuff and every once in a while CNN would have a fact check statement at the bottom. Funny thing though, every so often Trump made some powerful statements and no fact checking happened xD
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-28 11:15:52  

I was watching it on CNN ~ Trump was stating a lot of stuff and every once in a while CNN would have a fact check statement at the bottom. Funny thing though, every so often Trump made some powerful statements and no fact checking happened xD

That’s odd for them. I would have at least expected a “Statement made by Trump, therefore it’s false” judgment for those moments.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-08-28 11:45:49  
Not only do I dislike watching TV I cannot stand listening to politicians. Any politicians.

On top of that I find Trump's voice irritating.

Real time fact checking cannot go nearly as fast as Trump can spout lies. They need to have him on a delay loop to even try to catch up.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-28 12:26:10  
Real time fact checking cannot go nearly as fast as Trump can spout lies. They need to have him on a delay loop to even try to catch up.
So that's why they didn't even bother fact checking Biden. They most certainly couldn't keep up with Biden either.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-08-28 12:42:16  
Not only do I dislike watching TV I cannot stand listening to politicians. Any politicians.

I’ll give you this one. I’ll occasionally watch the important speeches/debates just so I’m in the know, but as a general rule I don’t like hearing any of it. It’s like hearing a sales pitch for an item you’ll never buy — uncomfortable, one-sided, and rarely to the point.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-08-28 13:12:02  
I heard it was an incredibly long (70 minutes??) teleprompter speech, I can't imagine how boring that must have been. I also heard there were no mentions of the ongoing pandemic, or at most the pandemic was referred to in the past tense. People are already asking who among the 1500 non mask wearing attendees is the next Herman Cain.
By volkom 2020-08-28 13:19:59  
78 minute speech ~ 26 minutes of it was just the audience clapping
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-28 13:33:25  
Viciouss said: »
I heard it was an incredibly long (70 minutes??) teleprompter speech
At least it proves that Trump has the ability to do a 70+ minute long teleprompter speech, where Biden can barely make it to 24 minutes.

Then again, when it's a miracle that Biden stayed on script for 24 minutes without insulting 13%+ of Americans, the bar is very very low for him in the first place.

So, it just shows how weak your boy really is, compared to the President.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 35