users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » To Automate, or Not to Automate
To Automate, or Not to Automate
 Asura.Chaostaru
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-04-05 18:11:13  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Can always tell when there's automation going on with the WHM, because every time I use my HP set for Dread Spikes they cure me immediately.
I can tell cause I always get devotion'd cor/nin lol
[+]
By Shichishito 2019-04-05 21:23:10  
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Your friend wants to play FFXI and he knows Utu Grip will help. He also knows this is literally the only thing in the game you actually need each other for. Now what?

you can't come up with a reasonable gun point scenario where the only logic solution is to cheat. its a game.

if you were real friends neither of you would force the other to play a game they hate but instead find one both have fun playing together.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2019-04-05 21:39:54  
It's weird that you guys can't get your heads around liking the game except for one part of it
[+]
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-04-05 22:16:53  
No different than when Neo Nyzul came out.

If you ain't cheatin', ya ain't winnin'.

Except now you see a lot less idiots claiming they can do/have done it without cheats, which is an outright lie.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-04-05 23:38:37  
Asura.Chaostaru said: »
I remember UltimateHealer back in the abys days, That cure bot was fantastic. anyone could just say para, slow, erase in chat and it'd cast it on them. people would setup whm bots in the worm camps, and the bot would run around curing/erasing people all night and day

Ultimate healer was nice, I've grown to really like cureplease however.

A bot that can see the debuffs of other members and setting it up correctly so it doesn't trigger a cure on someone casting dread spikes (60% or lower) isn't too hard.

What you get out of your bot really depends on how many changes outside of the same profile everyone passed around and never bothered to look at.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2019-04-06 00:08:59  
A lot of the reason people bot white mage is because the healing design in this game is bad. It's just flat-out not good. S-E should make CuragaIII available to /WHM, that would be an easy fix, but that's besides the point.

For me, I don't like when people bot ***like cp camps and kill other players' legitimate enjoyment of the game, but botting WHM (or whatever) for stuff like Omen, some Ambu runs, or Dyna-D is eh, whatever. I don't do it but I get it. It's all instanced content and it does put RMEA mats into the economy.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2019-04-06 00:24:51  
#1 You're never going to please everyone. Do your thing, enjoy yourself. People will always project their bs on you, especially in online places where folks just don't have the confidence to allow others to excel.

#2 Automating alts can free you up to enjoy the game more.

#3 To me, gearswap is mandatory. This game has so much input lag, and is a really old interface. I haven't gotten into /equipset which is a cool option, but nowhere near as flexible as gearswap. Not to mention all the commands I bind to avoid interface issues. (A bind command doesn't care if your thumb accidentally hit the space key as you're trying to tab around or switch target mobs.)

I do these things to free me up to enjoy the game more. It's up to you how deep you want to go. I don't suggest making everything automatic because then whats the point of playing.
[+]
 Asura.Cloudblade
By Asura.Cloudblade 2019-04-06 01:33:14  
I personally dislike and will never use 3rd party programs for a couple reasons. First, it tends to make you a worse player, in my opinion. While you may actually do better, your actual ability to play your jobs decreases from what I have seen. I've seen people having issues with sc's even after they were updated to show attributes on the ws's. I've seen people not be able to think outside the box or try new tactics on fights because everything is being scripted for them. People end up getting so complacent with the computer doing everything for them that they actually become bad players who then need the computer to be able to function at an adequate level.
edit: You also end up with people who script everything thinking things can't be done without scripts because they have become too complacent or too bad to do it themselves and then project that on others.

The second reason is it takes the fun out of the game for me. Why would I want to play a game in which the computer plays for me? All it ends up being is a glorified dress-up game for lockstyles and the "prestige" of having a weapon or piece of gear. I would rather actually put my abilities to the test and have a chance of losing than win because I had a computer do it for me.
[+]
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2019-04-06 05:47:11  
I enjoy whm and doing bar spells for this months ambu is easy just as it was before, Ive made 2 yagrush for both me and my alt for when im doing other events and i cant take my main IE dynamis.

Even for dread spikes ect where HP triggers yellow it irks me to no end my instant reaction is to cure,

Asura.Cloudblade said: »
I personally dislike and will never use 3rd party programs for a couple reasons. First, it tends to make you a worse player, in my opinion. While you may actually do better, your actual ability to play your jobs decreases from what I have seen. I've seen people having issues with sc's even after they were updated to show attributes on the ws's. I've seen people not be able to think outside the box or try new tactics on fights because everything is being scripted for them. People end up getting so complacent with the computer doing everything for them that they actually become bad players who then need the computer to be able to function at an adequate level.
edit: You also end up with people who script everything thinking things can't be done without scripts because they have become too complacent or too bad to do it themselves and then project that on others.

The second reason is it takes the fun out of the game for me. Why would I want to play a game in which the computer plays for me? All it ends up being is a glorified dress-up game for lockstyles and the "prestige" of having a weapon or piece of gear. I would rather actually put my abilities to the test and have a chance of losing than win because I had a computer do it for me.

I agree can make people bad but thats not always the case, but the way your making it sound its like everyone will be just plain bad, Give me a bot ill do better, Ive tried cure please but it reacts to slow for my taste especially for laggy areas,
By Afania 2019-04-06 09:38:30  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
FFXI = Job

Work smarter not harder.

"whatever it takes"

But FFXI isnt a job, thats the thing. You get paid more irl of you work smarter and be more productive. You dont get paid in ffxi unless you rmt.

So theres no real incentive to optimize everything unless you are the type of player that just enjoys optimization.

I dont really care much about automating or not in a 17 year old video game. If I do well in this game, Im not getting a promotion, nor recognization from my parents.

If other people automate and have fun that way, go ahead and let them have fun.

However Id get annoyed if people who choose to automate and run around demanding everyone else to do the same. Its other peoples sub so they can play however they want.
 Asura.Cloudblade
By Asura.Cloudblade 2019-04-06 09:42:42  
Bismarck.Cloudstrafie said: »
I agree can make people bad but thats not always the case, but the way your making it sound its like everyone will be just plain bad, Give me a bot ill do better, Ive tried cure please but it reacts to slow for my taste especially for laggy areas,

I don't mean to say all people will become worse players due to it. I have just seen that people can paradoxically tend toward becoming worse players, even if they actually end up performing better for many situations. If they try to play without their scripts for whatever reason, they tend to not be as good as they would be if they didn't use scripts to begin with, and some become so used to scripts that they start to become slack, decreasing their effectiveness even with scripts. That is not to say that this happens to all people who use scripts. It has just been something I have noticed that can happen. It is more a warning on a potential pitfall than anything else.
By Afania 2019-04-06 09:46:03  
Asura.Chaostaru said: »
If I used React, I probably wouldn't be getting killed by the Tonberry shadows from last months Ambuscade (they were so annoying to react to).

No, you couldnt use react to those *** *** tonberries. Server latency was a huge factor in that ambu and given you only had 2 seconds to respond, half the time I'd just die from invisible mob cause ***server lag. But yea trust me, if I could of used react for it, I would of.

I see, so I should not feel bad getting killed by those things lol. You know what I mean though? Somethings you could react to, and players find it necessary .. while others will say those players suck for needing an aid.

Its not like dying to tonberries even matter as much in VD last month. In last month 98% of my VD runs has at least 1 death cuz lag, still getting 6.5 min wins in the strongest pt, with 0% wipe/reset rate. Basically people die once or twice doesnt matter since they can get a raise and keep fighting.

So I dont understand why people make perfection such a big deal anyways.

Bahamut.Inspectorgadget said: »
No different than when Neo Nyzul came out.

If you ain't cheatin', ya ain't winnin'.

Except now you see a lot less idiots claiming they can do/have done it without cheats, which is an outright lie.

Im a vanilla player so I cant cheat, I still got my NNI win in 2012 ;)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-04-06 09:54:02  
We went like 15/17 on NNI without movement cheats, still used fillmode though.

Most of it is relative, though some of the arguments here are absolutely silly. A safe place to practice? The game isn't meant to be a safe place, you win or you lose. If you lose, you do better until you win. People seem unable to accept that as part of the progression any more.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-06 10:16:54  
Yo. when there's a 45 minute queue. Losing is not an option. You either guarantee a win or you do something the hell else.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-04-06 10:37:04  
Asura.Kusaregedo said: »
that's the smn burn mentality. no reason to try unless it guarantees a win and takes little effort. it's always been around but has become much more prevalent.

the huge majority of difficulty in ffxi is figuring out the strat for the very first time. implementation has rarely been hard, and this ambu happens to be one of the few examples where it is. 18man delve stun rotations was the last time i remember requiring precision timing before this.
No thats people who dont wanna waste 3 hours just to get 1 ambu run win.

queues are the issue

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-06 11:08:13  
Just use react and everyone is happy

You must fight *** with ***. It's got nothing to do with anything other than that.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-06 11:35:49  
Warble has 30+ range.
By Afania 2019-04-06 11:36:51  
Warble has 30+ range.

Yeah, sorry I missed the point. But anyways, I still dont understand whats the big deal about it.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-06 11:44:22  
Debuffs are irritating. One good para and it's over. Get petrified and the housemaker comes and it's over. Poison + drown + a counter and youre dead. let the plague go a couple tics and mp=0 and it's over.

Its VERY easy. It's also impossibly hard at the same time. You've been grooming people that don't want to play whm into playing whm for years. They don't care enough to esuna properly.

"then get a better whm"
and wait another 45 minutes and maybe this one will do it right.

No thanks. Run react.
By Afania 2019-04-06 11:52:19  
Its being discussed in another thread:

Shiva.Arislan said: »
With all this said, barspelling is completely optional. You can full-time barstonra and just esuna everything else off.

Counter measure exists, missing bar isnt by all end all the end of the world. You guys are making this a more serious business than it really is lol.

They don't care enough to esuna properly.

If someone cant esuna I wouldnt care if they use react. Just dont demand everyone else should use it "or else you suck" over a simple mechanic thats not even a big deal.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-06 12:07:33  
Yo. when there's a 45 minute queue. Losing is not an option. You either guarantee a win or you do something the hell else.

Idk, to me it sounds like youre the one who needs to do something the hell else if you cant enjoy a loss. Hopefully someone makes a bunch of alts to spam easy solo with trusts on your server to bump wait times more if thats how you people think.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-06 12:08:12  
Afania said: »
If someone cant esuna I wouldnt care if they use react. Just dont demand everyone else should use it "or else you suck" over a simple mechanic thats not even a big deal.
It's a VERY big deal. I've watched 3 groups wipe from it already.

Everything you think is "easy" add 11 difficulty for assuran correction.

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Hopefully someone makes a bunch of alts to spam easy solo with trusts on your server to bump wait times more if thats how you people think.

If anyone was going to do that, it would be me that does it.
By fonewear 2019-04-06 12:54:40  
I use the mythical Japanese button. It is a big shiny red button that makes me really good at FFXI.

I'd show how to use it but it's a secret.

If you can't get the Japanese button this is the way to play FFXI:

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-08 13:47:39  
I mean, i dont automate whm, but if i see an HP bar drop im usually curing it. People go from full to dead really fast nowadays, so rarely can you wait on a cure, and usually the whm isnt looking at whats actually going on, just hp bars and buffs.
By eliroo 2019-04-08 14:00:49  
I'd say that if someone wants to not use react and man a healer then its probably better to just barpetra and Misery Esuna.
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2019-04-08 15:11:54  
[+]