New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Luck of the Draw: A Corsair's Guide *NEW*
Luck of the Draw: A Corsair's Guide *NEW*
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 121 122 123
By Afania 2018-07-13 13:47:39  
ItemSet 356847

New preshot set

Should be 2 rapid shot gain over old ones.
By Boshi 2018-07-13 13:55:49  
Thanks Afa, it seems it takes away the need to get Su3 body now for the non-flurry set.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-07-13 14:39:26  
FYI, that set would cap Snapshot with just the NQ neck.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
サーバ: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-07-13 14:56:05  
Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
FYI, that set would cap Snapshot with just the NQ neck.
No, it wouldn't that's exactly 70 and really we should be shooting for 71-72 like haste.
By Afania 2018-07-13 15:00:04  
Boshi said: »
Thanks Afa, it seems it takes away the need to get Su3 body now for the non-flurry set.

And adhemar legs hq..... su3 body is still bis for number of things so it doesn't matter if its part of preshot set. but its quite annoying to buy 2 adhemar hq legs for preshot and mid shot.... now we only need 1 adhemar hq legs so it saves gil.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-07-13 15:01:34  
Afania said: »
but its quite annoying to buy 2 adhemar hq legs for preshot and mid shot.... now we only need 1 adhemar hq legs.
Those +1 legs are WAY cheaper then a +2 neck is going to be even 6 months down the line unless SE does some kind of update to crafting again lol
By Afania 2018-07-13 15:05:19  
Asura.Chiaia said: »
but its quite annoying to buy 2 adhemar hq legs for preshot and mid shot.... now we only need 1 adhemar hq legs.
Those +1 legs are WAY cheaper then a +2 neck is going to be even 6 months down the line unless SE does some kind of update to crafting again lol

Well yeah, but neck is bis for 2 things v.s legs is inv -1 after you get neck so.....

Would rather pay 100m for a gear thats bis in 2 sets instead of 20m for something that will eventually be replaced DX
By Nyarlko 2018-07-13 15:50:48  
Kustawi has better stats if you dont need that much racc.

Still want one. >_> My pockets just aren't anywhere deep enough to consider HQ2 as a valid option, so hoping HQ1 will be better than what's available and "good enough" to be worth the slightly less bank-breaking investment.

I'm personally expecting a shitton of atk/ratk/mab type things out of the augs on Div weapons, which could quite easily push them up to stats which live up to the devs' hype.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
サーバ: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2018-07-13 16:10:41  
Not enough Beitetsu on AH to Afterglow DP atm. Still worth using over Fomalhaut?
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-07-13 16:21:30  
Bismarck.Ringoko said: »
Not enough Beitetsu on AH to Afterglow DP atm. Still worth using over Fomalhaut?
Absolutely if Leaden is going to be your primary source of DMG on the target.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-07-13 17:30:01  
A 119 II DP will probably still out perform a Fomalhaut due to the Leaden Buff and the shot buffs.

Like Chiaia said, only if you're using Leaden though.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
サーバ: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2018-07-13 18:10:47  
Thank you!
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-07-14 00:56:27  
this is why most people who are in the know have zero interest in making or contributing to a guide
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2018-07-14 00:59:23  
Siren.Kyte said: »
this is why most people who are in the know have zero interest in making or contributing to a guide
Give me... another week or so.
[+]
By hobo 2018-07-14 01:30:57  
deathdance said: »

Among other things, you really should add weapons into the preshot sets, since using Kustawi's are arguably a vital component of those sets.

I disagree with almost everything in this post. Weapons listed for preshot make no sense, your not going to be using dual Kustawi if your spamming Leaden. Dream tier isn't hit everything, its an ideal set for when you don't need massive accuracy like dyna divergence, there is a reason there is an accuracy swap section.
[+]
 Hades.Dade
サーバ: Hades
user: Dade
By Hades.Dade 2018-07-14 03:13:50  
Be a shame if there was a section talking about guns and main/offhand weapons then whenever they had a set for a ws had the matching main/offhand.

I would hope when someone was at the point of doing Schah they knew they would have to wear more Racc then doing an ambuscade vd.
By deathdance 2018-07-14 03:31:41  
I'll just retract my statements and hope that the people who really want to do well on COR learn the things I am talking about on their own. From what I've seen from the vast majority of CORs on my server, I won't hold my breath.
 Leviathan.Katriina
サーバ: Leviathan
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-07-14 04:17:49  
Good thing you did because you almost opened Pandora's Box with your statements...

This Guide is excellent in every aspect, even the way it was designed!! (I can safely say its the best on this website) and what makes it even more interesting is how neutral personal opinions are there. It's constructed really professionally.

Read the guide again slowly, almost everything wrong in your "retracted statements" are explained beautifully there.

In regards to weapon swaps, I found that more often than not you are expected to mele 90% of the time vs pure Range Mode.

And from experience, I found myself gravitating towards subbing WAR over DNC or NIN. Something about fencer that I can't seem to let go.
Plus I combine ranged WS's with Mele to link with others, my default setting is [Fettering Blade/Hepatizon Sapara +1] + Shield and my gun choices are fairly limited for that reason.

Whatever you have happening on your server can be fixed easily if someone takes the time to show them how its done, Pre Rolls tactics, JA's Order during buffs, coordinating with GEOs/BRDs to recharge Entrust timers [did you know you can have up to 6 bubbles in your party if done correctly?] and/or contribute to debuffs/weaknesses via QD and finally *** the battle situation and switch rolls accordingly.
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-07-14 08:26:42  
Ruaumoko said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »
Give me... another week or so.

When you're done sir, I'd love to embed it into the guide.
By Afania 2018-07-14 10:01:12  
I'll just retract my statements and hope that the people who really want to do well on COR learn the things I am talking about on their own. From what I've seen from the vast majority of CORs on my server, I won't hold my breath.

I just woke up so I have no idea what you wrote, feel free to send me a pm if you wish.....

Just FYI, Ive thought about adding more details to the guide since the info is really basic, despite the job is easy to play at fairly basic level, there are tons of nitty gritty to the job. Theres always a slight difference between a generic cor in terms of ja order, ws choice and weapon toggle, v.s someone really good.

But since the guide was created as beginners guide to the job and not intended for hardcore many advanced stuff were left out.

Multistep sc(self or with another job) is one thing that I feel the guide really missed and could really benefit from. Ive thought of making a sc video guide to show how multi step could be done and how to toggle weapons mid sc for max dps gain during multi step. but appearantly ruau is working on a video guide so we will just wait for that.

Ive been in ffxi burn out stat for really long time and haven't get motivation to invest much into it, so if someone else wants to contribute with content, thats definately awesome.

and hope that the people who really want to do well on COR learn the things I am talking about on their own. From what I've seen from the vast majority of CORs on my server, I won't hold my breath.

Jobs in ffxi are called jobs for a reason. Every job has in and out and tough to master. COR is no exception, there are tons, and tons of in and out about the job. Ws choice, weapon toggles, accurate accuracy swaps between melee and ranged mode are 3 things I find most generic cor struggling on. I also struggle to get good at number of things on cor myself, such fast roll change according to situations.

But thats ffxi for you, its tough to reach the ceiling if you just aim at absolute max performance. And not just cor, but every job. Its just more noticable on cor due to the new player friendly nature of the job.

Cor has relatively high floor compare with every other dd Ive played, almost anyone that copy and pasted a melee and ws set can parse reasonably well in pt, since the job has minimal ja to manage compare with something like dnc. Also since most pt lead dont have any expectation to performance, its often a choice for new people to get in, or the role is assigned to not so serious players in events.

So if you notice most cor suck, thats probably the reason. Only very few people in entire ffxi population play the game seriously, and serious players are not always on cor. resulting avg cor performance somewhat lower.

I personally think its fine though, these people pay for the game and cor opened a door for them to do group content. I prefer a new player play cor over whm or run anyways, lol.

For anyone aim to do well on cor, in order to bypass the "new players wall" I recommend study ALL of the ws listed in the guide. I pushed description of every ws there for a reason, because I think thats No.1 difference to seperate a good cor and a generic cor. Very very often I see people picked ws thats flat out wrong, like using leaden for gravitation Sc when evis was clearly a better choice on that specific target and buffs.

Once ws is being understood, create weapon toggles for several situations. Swapping weapons manually takes time, so its definately important to make switches for faster swaps. Start with a melee mode and ranged attack mode weapon toggle first, then work on aeolian edge and magical ws. I have roughly 27 weapons in inv on cor for all situations, and 2 more thats rarely used. So there are tons of weapons required just for every situations.

Finally its accurate acc swaps. Ive run into countless above avg players with a top end aeonic group and understanding to ffxi, they offered cor for events and have gears for it. Then when they come cor they were unable to adapt the acc need and ended up parse 5% or even 1% because they weren't prepared well enough. Cor has much lower acc than everything else, so people used for another job sometimes weren't prepared for the fact that cor cant hit under certain circumstances without extreme acc sets.

This gets more complicated with ranged and melee switch, since brd buff only boost one Acc type theres always a few hundred acc gap between different mode. If you are meleeing and want to switch to ranged attack for pd, the ranged attack set needs at least 200 more racc than melee to match the madrigal difference.

I think once someone master the art of picking the right ws, toggle between weapons, and have very high acc swaps that covers wide range of acc needs, they already bypassed this wall that stops them from performing well.
By Afania 2018-07-15 12:08:35  
Kinda late but..... been playing spreadsheet for lanun +3 legs, it seems to beat herc for last stand if attack is low, or meg +2 for requiescat if attack is low....

It also has nice chunk of racc for last stand.

So theres the use for it. Though its definately the lowest priority in entire set.
By Trumpet 2018-07-18 15:03:20  
What herc path/stone do yall choose for Oseem augments when gearing for leaden? I know the goal is to get agi/mab/wsd but I can't seem to ever get all 3 at once.

Appreciate the hell out of this guide btw, it's helped a ton as the newbie learning from scratch.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-07-18 15:38:30  
AGI/MAB/WSD don't all occur on the same non-DM path, one would have to be a very rare "off path" augment (roughly 10% rate of an off-path augment appearing). Or, get lucky and get all 3 using DM augments - also raises the caps significantly so you could get crazy stuff like WSD+10%, MAB+45, etc... Herc gear for MAB/WSD purposes is a very, very good thing to toss at Oseem and hope during DM campaign.

For normal augments:

Probably best to shoot for MAB/WSD from magic path using Fern stones, and just accept that you will forego AGI unless you're incredibly lucky. Fern stones are probably ideal because they raise the max WSD to 5% instead of 4% and guarantee an augment from the "special stats" bucket will appear, but Pellucid aren't bad either (they are more likely to give a MAB augment, but your WSD will cap at 4). AGI is off-path on the "magic" path, so Taupe stones to force attribute slot augment and raise its cap aren't great here.

Ranged path can get AGI/WSD, but MAB is off-path. Fern again probably best, though you might also consider Taupe stones here to raise attribute max to AGI+15 instead of the normal 10. Pellucid are not a very good use of stones on this path, since MAB is off-path. You probably don't want to use the ranged path when aiming for magical WS gear, but you might be trying to get a great physical ranged WS piece for Last Stand and stumble into a lucky magical WS piece.

Melee path can get AGI/WSD, and can't get MAB. So, Fern or Taupe stones here. Pellucid are totally useless for this path if you're trying for COR magical WS pieces. Again, probably not the path you want when you're going for magical WS pieces, but perhaps you'll be trying for something else (say, a melee piece for another light DD job or for TP) and luck into a magical WS piece.

FYI, the BGWiki page for this augment system is pretty good.
By Trumpet 2018-07-18 17:24:27  
Aha, that makes sense. I brute forced my way into a pretty solid AGI/MAB augment but at some point realized I wasn't seeing AGI pop up much, much less all three. Those relic feet suddenly look a lot more appealing...

By Afania 2018-07-19 16:54:50  
Ok sooo, decided to share thoughts and experience about dyna wave 3.

Ok time to share some cor experience in mage setup for wave 3 instead of melee. Depending on groups mage setup can clear entire zone faster than melee, and overall less likely wipe to shitty aoe ws from wave 3 bosses.

Leaden works well in mage setup with mage buffs and its extremely strong on wave 3 bosses. Easily 99999 + 99999 with bolster up, and 25000 to 30000 ws + 70 to 90k darkness. On wave 3 bosses darkness sc parsed 7%ish and leaden qd parsed 6%ish, resulting total of 13% to 14% of dmg from one cor in entire alliance. By comparsion blm parsed about 15% to 17%, so its close. I would say cor is definately worth bring for mage setup and setup as part of sc.

That being said, on wave3 volte mob without brd or precision it will be impossible to gain tp fast enough to keep up with consistant sc due to the 1700 acc requirement. on fetters, aurix and wave 3 boss its possible to hit them though. Since I dont always get acc buffs I tend to save triple shot on fetters and aurix only. Overall its much harder to dps well on volte without brd.

When it comes to sj choice, I had hard decision between /dnc for sc bonus and /blm for mattk bonus and occult acumen builds to generate tp faster on wave 3. In the end I picked /dnc due to its versatility and how it contributes well on all 3 waves instead of just wave 3 volte. I had difficulty keep up with some of the sc on volte without occult acument build from /blm or /drk however.

In order to generate tp faster and keep up with sc speed sometime I just do qd dmg boost in qd stp set but change feet to empy feet. Every fail to connect distorion with leaden is huge dps lose from missing subsequent mb, and I feel that extra dmg probably outweight the extra mattk from qd dmg set if you are almost 1000 but not quite.

/nin is not required in mage setup, since you are not meleeing nor eating boss aoes.

The ideal food choice would be marine stewpot or altanas repast.

For fetter scs, we normally use distortion > leaden > wildfire 4 steps for water and ice, this combo generates strongest dps. But occasionally when we need different element for fetter, it become fragmentation > last stand for thunder mb, or fusion > savage blade for fire mb. So cor would need to be prepared to change ws on the fly.

I currently dont know the acc requiment for fetter so I use max acc set for both ls and savage to ensure they land, but its possible to lower acc a bit I think.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2018-07-19 17:16:13  
In my group we usually have 2 Cors in same pt in order to do Sam tact wiz allies and rotate SC closer for hate control on Nms.
By Afania 2018-07-19 17:57:57  
Shiva.Eightball said: »
In my group we usually have 2 Cors in same pt in order to do Sam tact wiz allies and rotate SC closer for hate control on Nms.

Oh I comepletely forgot about the enmity thing: I suggest enmity -5 merit over enmity crit -5% because of leaden hate.

SC rotation sounds like a good idea if 2 cors are equally geared and they react fast fast. If not then personally Id still let strongest cor close.
By Nyarlko 2018-07-19 18:55:14  
For enmity control, have you tried using SCH SP2 to transfer the party's hate to a BLM, then have the BLM Enmity Douse? Do CORs cap enmity too fast for this to be useful? (ie: Does it take less or more than 50% of the fight to cap enmity?)
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 121 122 123