Random Politics & Religion #19

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #19
Random Politics & Religion #19
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 82 83 84
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 17:51:36  
Odin.Slore said: »
When I am not freezing my *** off buried under snow in Oswego County NY in February I will buy into global warming. We are having a very snowy and cold winter up here. I'd take me some global warming right about now. About 15 miles north of me in Oswego County is a town called Redfield, NY. They got 5 and half foot of snow last week, we got about 2 foot.
I also have been having a colder, snowier, winter than average.

But you know, that's weather, it ain't climate.

And you do know about lake effect snow by now I hope.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 17:52:26  
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-10 17:59:21  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Name all of the non-politically charged areas of scientific study where you will be attacked for being a fence-sitter because the data and methods aren't robust enough yet.

Now do the same for the politically charged ones. See the difference? That attitude bleeds over into the research that the scientists do, like it or not. It's a similar story in business research.

When there is absolutely no preference for outcome, there is no bias. When researchers, shareholders, investors, etc. have a vested interested in seeing a preferable outcome, that often affects the results. Research doesn't happen in a vacuum (inb4 astronomy joke).

I'm not a "denier" and I'm not an advocate, yet for some reason I'm labeled a heretic for not immediately accepting the results of admittedly flawed, evolving research with a strong political bias (with hard to obtain raw data to boot) this early in the game. That's bull crap.
Oh good lord, get down from that victim pedestal. You can't inject politics into the climate change debate then complain about politics being in the climate change debate. Is there criticism on methodology or interpretation of results or anything remotely to do with the actual research? The NOAA paper is freely available as are the datasets (as are all agency-derived data). It's literally all out there, but if the best you can come up with is some generic assumption of bias then perhaps, bluntly, this isn't an argument you need to participate in. That's not what skepticism is at all.

Skepticism also isn't accepting the latest fad of data interpretation as gospel truth just because there's nothing better. If you can't handle a little opposition from someone who actually does research for a living then perhaps, bluntly, this isn't an argument you need to participate in.

Aside from that, the last time we reviewed the topic of this "freely available" data it was a convoluted mess and pretty much worthless. If you know of something better that's available now, please share.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-02-10 18:10:01  
Being 15miles from the shore of Lake Ontario, every time we get a NW wind we get buried. Trust me I know.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 18:30:00  
One of the worse winters of my life was spent in northern Franklyn county. But it was also one of the bests. '94?

The weather was horrid, always under 20, 2' - 3' of snow, and usually a fair bit of wind.

I was there to help some young friends, one of who was pregnant. They were all under 30. I could indulge in absolutely guilt free recreational baking.

Bake a pie or a batch of brownies, take a watch my weight sized piece, and in less than an hour the whole thing would magically evaporate!

/smile /grin

And then they would beg me to bake something else!
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-10 18:37:29  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
If you can't handle a little opposition from someone who actually does research for a living then perhaps, bluntly, this isn't an argument you need to participate in.

You absolutely can not question the Gospel as given to them by the high prophets of the Progressive Religion.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 18:55:13  
Lol what opposition? "Something something bias" isn't a scientific argument and you flat out ignored 95% of the post which had to do with why the corrections were necessary and what led to them. Have you even read the paper or any of the associated material? I do research too and I have no idea where you're even coming from with your skepticism so yeah it comes off fake.

Despite pages of posts and a whole thread dedicated to the topic, I still have no idea what data you're actually asking for which leads me to believe you don't either. The corrected SST record is here along with the related papers that I know I've linked before. If there's an issue in there just say it without falling back on the same tired talking points I always see.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2017-02-10 19:16:46  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
I'm glad we can all agree that we a species we all need to work hard to lower our pollution and impact on the planet.

Every single one of us can do more than we are, if motivated.
It's largely about a mindset we need to share and teach later generations.

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 19:23:51  
Lol what opposition? "Something something bias" isn't a scientific argument and you flat out ignored 95% of the post which had to do with why the corrections were necessary and what led to them. Have you even read the paper or any of the associated material? I do research too and I have no idea where you're even coming from with your skepticism so yeah it comes off fake.

Despite pages of posts and a whole thread dedicated to the topic, I still have no idea what data you're actually asking for which leads me to believe you don't either. The corrected SST record is here along with the related papers that I know I've linked before. If there's an issue in there just say it without falling back on the same tired talking points I always see.
So, you admit that climate science = alternative facts. Got it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 19:26:50  
Josiahkf said: »
Despite anything we argue about, that simple dialogue underneath is what matters; we are all decent people here.
Lies!

I can attest, I have not seen any evidence that can conclude that I am decent.
By fonewear 2017-02-10 19:28:15  
Despite anything we argue about, that simple dialogue underneath is what matters; we are all decent people here.

I don't know about that have you been in the random thoughts section ?

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2017-02-10 19:35:29  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lies!

I can attest, I have not seen any evidence that can conclude that I am decent.

I am Bad People™. One of my oldest friends* has attested to this as recently as last Saturday.

*of those who still speak to me.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 19:45:42  
So, you admit that climate science = alternative facts. Got it
You don't seem to get anything so zero *** given.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2017-02-10 19:52:50  
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-02-10 20:07:28  
Well well well

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/benjamin-netanyahu-corruption-investigation-police-bribery-a7574391.html
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-02-10 20:30:19  
Odin.Slore said: »
Being 15miles from the shore of Lake Ontario, every time we get a NW wind we get buried. Trust me I know.

Mmm.

Growing up in the footprint of Lake Effect Snow is a badge of honor.

Few people can honestly say they walked uphill to school both ways in 2 feet of snow.

I've done it.

Literally.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 21:24:12  
So, you admit that climate science = alternative facts. Got it
You don't seem to get anything so zero *** given.
Well, you keep defending practices that, done by any other scientist, would not only taint the research but also destroy the reputation of the scientist. But since it's climate science, it must be ok to do as long as the agenda is filled.

Therefore, you are ok with climate science = alternative facts.

I can't wait to see the results of the investigation. I'm pretty sure that it's going to turn out a lot of fraudsters, especially those in California.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-02-10 21:30:11  
So don't backread. Words to live by.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 21:41:25  
Can you even explain the NOAA practices under question and why the actual data is tainted?

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-11 03:53:28  
Netanyan~ is one of the banes of that region. Can only hope that if he gets kicked out someone more reasonable takes his place.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-11 10:18:09  
Last time Israel had someone reasonable as PM, some unreasonable right wing "settler" shot him.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-11 11:44:06  
Yeah, that comic's missing the point. Nobody's against a better environment, we're against getting taxed into oblivion.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 82 83 84