Random Politics & Religion #19

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #19
Random Politics & Religion #19
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 82 83 84
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 15:12:40  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
A zombie apocalypse would be rough. How can you tell the difference between a legitimate zombie and a teenager on their phone?
If the phone is on or not.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 15:14:52  
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 15:32:17  
And now the trumpgator...

Orange Gator Baffles in SC
Nobody can quite explain the weird color

Newser
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 15:36:47  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Well, that's easy.

It's a shiny.

/tosses an Ultra Ball.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-10 15:38:45  
Has he made the retention pond great again?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 16:21:21  
I'm fully aware of how science and, more specifically, research works. The fact remains that to accept this new finding is to assume that everything about the pause was wrong, but according to the Left you must have been an idiot to assume they were wrong at the time, and you must be an idiot to assume they're wrong right now. We're not talking about centuries of accepted science like the rotation of the planets, we're talking about huge assumptions and conclusions that are struck down and changed as we speak.
How about not injecting politics in this and simply rely on the scientific argument. The issue with the data was related to the transition of how ocean temperatures were being collected (from ships to buoys). As more buoys were deployed, these measurements needed to be weighed more heavily and this is basically what the NOAA did. This isn't an issue of saying one thing one day and another the next but more do with upgrading the technology and adjusting preexisting data accordingly.

A more uniform and accurate monitoring system reduces statistical uncertainty so no the field is not sitting in the same place as before asking for blind acceptance. It's stating the current state of things with a given level of uncertainty with stated assumptions and rationale available for scrutiny.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 16:24:31  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, are you saying that it's sound science to use unverified data? It's sound science to go around protocols that are designed to prevent bad data from being published?
What does unverified mean in this context? And how does the distinction between research and operational data result in "bad data" being published keeping in mind that no data was wrongfully manipulated or misreported?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 16:25:40  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
How about not injecting politics in this
Why don't you tell that to the climate scientists then.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-02-10 16:46:36  
It's stating the current state of things.

How are things? Please type slow, use small words and give us the tldr version for me and the other kids with the dunce caps on so that we have a fighting chance of understanding it.

Thanks!
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 16:52:33  
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-10 17:04:05  
Name all of the non-politically charged areas of scientific study where you will be attacked for being a fence-sitter because the data and methods aren't robust enough yet.

Now do the same for the politically charged ones. See the difference? That attitude bleeds over into the research that the scientists do, like it or not. It's a similar story in business research.

When there is absolutely no preference for outcome, there is no bias. When researchers, shareholders, investors, etc. have a vested interested in seeing a preferable outcome, that often affects the results. Research doesn't happen in a vacuum (inb4 astronomy joke).

I'm not a "denier" and I'm not an advocate, yet for some reason I'm labeled a heretic for not immediately accepting the results of admittedly flawed, evolving research with a strong political bias (with hard to obtain raw data to boot) this early in the game. That's bull crap.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 17:05:05  
I have mentioned this before.

There is only political party in the fricking world that has made climate denialism as part of its platform and identity.

They are the ones who made it political.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 17:05:42  
inb4 astronomy joke
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 17:06:41  
I have mentioned this before.

There is only political party in the fricking world that has made climate denialism as part of its platform and identity.

They are the ones who made it political.
What, should we mention vaccine deniers then? Also how political they made that topic?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 17:10:29  
Vaccine denialism is bipartisan.

And as far as I can see its the weird fringes of both parties who are into it. And it spans a broad spectrum of weird fringes.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 17:22:22  

And as far as I can see its the weird fringes of both parties who are into it. And it spans a broad spectrum of weird fringes.
Climate Science Deniers are bipartisan.

Yet, somehow, if you even hint at skepticism, you are automatically labeled as a denier.

And the same type of people extend that label to all Republicans/conservatives because of that same skepticism.

Well, guess what?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Welcome to being labeled as a vaccine denier.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-10 17:23:11  
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-02-10 17:24:24  
Name all of the non-politically charged areas of scientific study where you will be attacked for being a fence-sitter because the data and methods aren't robust enough yet.

Now do the same for the politically charged ones. See the difference? That attitude bleeds over into the research that the scientists do, like it or not. It's a similar story in business research.

When there is absolutely no preference for outcome, there is no bias. When researchers, shareholders, investors, etc. have a vested interested in seeing a preferable outcome, that often affects the results. Research doesn't happen in a vacuum (inb4 astronomy joke).

I'm not a "denier" and I'm not an advocate, yet for some reason I'm labeled a heretic for not immediately accepting the results of admittedly flawed, evolving research with a strong political bias (with hard to obtain raw data to boot) this early in the game. That's bull crap.
Oh good lord, get down from that victim pedestal. You can't inject politics into the climate change debate then complain about politics being in the climate change debate. Is there criticism on methodology or interpretation of results or anything remotely to do with the actual research? The NOAA paper is freely available as are the datasets (as are all agency-derived data). It's literally all out there, but if the best you can come up with is some generic assumption of bias then perhaps, bluntly, this isn't an argument you need to participate in. That's not what skepticism is at all.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-10 17:24:46  
It's crazy hate day on FFXIAH:

[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-10 17:25:02  
Crazy hat or hate whatever lol
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 17:25:16  
Oh good lord, get down from that victim pedestal.
Yeah Rav, it's Pleebo's turn now!
[+]
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-02-10 17:28:28  
When I am not freezing my *** off buried under snow in Oswego County NY in February I will buy into global warming. We are having a very snowy and cold winter up here. I'd take me some global warming right about now. About 15 miles north of me in Oswego County is a town called Redfield, NY. They got 5 and half foot of snow last week, we got about 2 foot.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-02-10 17:29:31  
Mind you normal highs this time of year are around 28-30 degrees F, it was like 2F the last 3 days
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-10 17:29:42  
Odin.Slore said: »
When I am not freezing my *** off buried under snow in Oswego County NY in February I will buy into global warming. We are having a very snowy and cold winter up here. I'd take me some global warming right about now. About 15 miles north of me in Oswego County is a town called Redfield, NY. They got 5 and half foot of snow last week, we got about 2 foot.
A new challenger appears who does not understand how global warming works.

Sorry you're late to class, we explained this in the old thread about it.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-10 17:31:04  
I don't know how the internet works yet here I am !
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-02-10 17:44:32  

Climate Science Deniers are bipartisan....
There is only political party in the fricking world that has made climate denialism as part of its platform and identity....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-10 17:48:12  

Climate Science Deniers are bipartisan....
There is only political party in the fricking world that has made climate denialism as part of its platform and identity....
Yeah, the democrats.

Who else is so strongly demeaning Republicans throughout practically all campaigns? Who else is fighting so hard for EPA to have oversight over the littlest things? Who else directs the EPA to stop businesses from creating jobs in order to have the spotted chipmunk thrive so they can be eaten by hawks? While, at the same time, fining businesses for letting the hawk eat the chipmunk?
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-10 17:49:13  
I can't even confirm I exist so how can I confirm global warming ?
[+]
By fonewear 2017-02-10 17:49:45  
From a philosophical point of view it is easy to deny a lot of things. In fact I've made it my life's work !
First Page 2 3 ... 27 28 29 ... 82 83 84