BLM Enfeebling Question
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Siren.Yunalie
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Rayln
By Siren.Yunalie 2009-08-21 11:49:17  
Dubont said:
imo BLm/whm is like Cor/whm....gimp. On topic, the main enfeebles/debuffs that i use (when i can) Are Sleep2, sleepga2, bio2, burn and if i have time, choke and shock and if im soloing, Gravity and bind. (Typically im /rdm now that i have it instead of /whm..and the loss of rr isnt so bad if you know what you're doing)

LMAO! This makes me lol. Look what job they are on right now. Cor/whm...

blm/whm is like stated above the non selfish setup. Its there to help out those around you. I /whm for events where I know I may need to toss out the occasional paralyna or a cure here and there.

In the end isn't it best to have options for subjob at your disposal?
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2009-08-21 11:51:13  
last night was the first chance I had to use everyone's suggestions.

we had a nice setup blm, blm, rng, drg, war, and whm. One blm started with burn and bio, I started with choke. Then we both nuked. everything went very smooth, and we ripped through the mandys in the 1st jungle. When the other blm traded out for a drk. I found that when I tried to do burn and bio and choke, it was just too many MP's so I cut it down to Burn only, then nuke. I felt that was the best use of my MP as Elvaan. But I do feel I have a lot more knoweledge as a blm now.

Oh and also, in that situation having /whm was helpful for barsleepra, and an occaisional cure II.

So once again, thanks for the help and enlightenment on the BLM DoT spells.
[+]
 Alexander.Zayo
サーバ: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-08-22 01:16:07  
That's great to hear you put it to good use ^^
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-22 11:15:27  
Dasva said:
Blah blah blah. Since when was it a blms job to solo anything?

here's my favorite quote, from Dasva, the dumbest BLM to ever play the game.

After that quote, anything else he could possibly say should have little to no significance for anyone.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 11:18:11  
Sovereign said:
Dasva said:

After that quote, anything else he could possibly say should have little to no significance for anyone.

Lol ok loser. Doesnt change the fact Im right. Just cause you can and sometimes need to doesn't mean that's what your meant to do.
 Bahamut.Citag
サーバ: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Citag 2009-08-22 11:29:07
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Dasva said:
Sovereign said:
Dasva said:

Lol ok loser. Doesnt change the fact Im right. Just cause you can and sometimes need to doesn't mean that's what your meant to do.

Last I heard Soloing was a bsts job...
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-22 11:40:10  
Dasva said:
Sovereign said:
Dasva said:

Just because it's not what you're "meant" to do doesnt mean it's not possible, and in many cases, more efficient than soloing on another job or using a party setup. (and since we're on the topic... who are you to tell anyone what BLM was 'meant' to do? You know best because you read the intro on wiki? lol)

Having the ability to solo shows off the strengths of both the BLM job and the player behind it. Not knowing how (or in your case, simply refusing) to solo on BLM shows nothing but your lack of skill, as both a BLM and an FFXI player in general.

A good FFXI player would know better than to continue with the *** spewing from your mouth.

As far as I'm concerned, you shouldnt be trying to give advice to anyone. Instead, you should be taking the advice given from true veteran players and applying it to make yourself a better and more knowledgable player.

Until you learn to get off your high horse, you will continue to be sub-par in the FFXI community. I feel sorry for anyone who plays with you, since this is 2009, and information is so readily available that it shouldnt be hard for anyone with half a brain to realize you're *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 12:13:42  
Yeah Im tired of argueing since most your arguments consist of acusing me of stuff that is totally false. Blh blah blah. So do the world a favor a just kill yourself.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-22 12:28:33  
You argued with me for six pages and are only now tired because you are beginning to realize the errors you made.

I was really going to refrain from posting this, since it's kinda like just referring the argument to another source. (Similar to Dasva's "well the wiki says..." bit) But seems as how I believe this will no doubt assist many BLMs (as it once assisted me when I first started leveling the job a couple years ago) that it is worth posting. I also figured that since it's such a high-profile journal from the FFXI community, most players with any type of research skill have probably already stumbled across it.

Kaeko's BLM Guide
http://kanican.livejournal.com/tag/black+mage+guide%21

Read all six parts.

Utilizing the information available in Kaeko's guide, I was able to apply most of his findings to my own BLM, and was incredibly impressed with the results in how much more powerful and efficient I became as a BLM. Since then, I've been able to reproduce many of his solos, as well as incorporate his teachings into some of my own.

The strongest, most resonating theme from the whole guide is that your ability to solo directly affects your ability to perform in a team environment
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 12:32:57  
Sovereign said:
You argued with me for six pages and are only now tired because you are beginning to realize the errors you made.
The strongest, most resonating theme from the whole guide is that your ability to solo directly affects your ability to perform in a team environment

Once again words in my mouth... I btw haven't realized anything other then what I already know and solo just fine thank you good bye. Oh and Ive been reading kanican lj forever. Hell most of our limbus low man runs have been based on it.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-22 12:39:20  
Dasva said:
Oh and Ive been reading kanican lj forever. Hell most of our limbus low man runs have been based on it.

If that is the case, then how could you possibly believe any of the crap you said earlier in this thread?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 12:44:04  
Probably cause my "crap" as you put it is about anti /whm. /rdm is the way to go on most of what he does as a blm or even sch.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-22 12:49:20  
Dasva said:
Probably cause my "crap" as you put it is about anti /whm. /rdm is the way to go on most of what he does as a blm or even sch.

Well, it wasnt entirely about anti /whm... since you claimed that BLMs arent supposed to solo, and also claimed that we're only supposed to be nuking and shouldnt waste our time supporting a party.

Which of course, if you had actually read Kaeko's guide... you would know better.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 12:54:14  
Actually said that wasnt there job though they can and sometimes should. And Kaeko's guides 90% of the time are pushing nuking and kiting. As far as the blm and sch stand. Not support
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-22 13:21:00  
As quoted from one of the very first paragraphs in Kaeko's guide.

Quote:
Very little of anything stressed is actually related to nuking or damage. The vast majority of BLMs always focus on damage - this is an incredibly narrow-minded approach to the job. I want to stress the more subtle points of playing BLM endgame - the things that some people probably never bothered to consider or are too lazy to implement. I may go a good 3-4 posts without even talking about nuking or damage.

So once again... there is MORE to playing BLM well than you know of. In fact, I'm fairly certain that reading through his BLM guide, that 90% of it focused on something other than nuking.

Are you sure you read the guide? Sure doesnt sound like it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 13:32:41  
He doesn't focus on how to do more dmg because really theres way too much info already out on that. He often focusses on make sure he can do that dmg. And how to survive in order to do so. He very very rarely speaks of support as a blm. Hell most the time even as a sch. For that matter read all the other stuff on like what he actually uses it for. Especially the soloing
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-08-22 13:38:29  
I think the real question here is, why do we let retards on our interwebs.

Dasva please check in cabinet for bleach > drink whole jug > ??? > profit.

Let us know how it works out for you.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-22 13:46:59  
Lol good one.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-08-23 12:59:22  
I find it amusing that even though the large majority here can all agree:

Dasva is *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. He still perpetuates his own ignorance and refuses to accept that he is flat out wrong.

Usually when a plethora people a lot more experienced than you are obviously are all telling you something, most people would take from it and learn rather than claim that everybody else is wrong.

I think that's what NooB syndrome is.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-23 13:06:50  
Lol yes majority is always right... especially when they put words other peoples mouths. Whatever you guys can keep being backup healers. I'll do what blm is supposed to do, Damage. And do what is necessary to keep myself alive to be able to do more.
User submitted image
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-23 17:00:44  
Come on, you could at least find an image without Sample all over it, lol.

And blm is supposed to do dmg and crowd control even if you're not going to include healing.

And you never responded to my other post!

Tarowyn said:
It's not about focusing on healing potential, it's more of, you look at at what each sub offers you and you pick which is more beneficial to the situation at the time. That would seem to be a far more important lesson to learn than to solely focus on how much dmg you can do.

I dunno though, that's really an issue with the player themselves. If they like to make sure everyone's full hp, they would have done that /rdm anyways since pure hp healing potential is almost the same for both subs. Like I said above, working in small groups as a blm indicates you're probably manaburning those situations. But manaburn is not the only thing in the game, and in other situations /whm is useful.

I'm perfectly fine with you using /rdm for everything you do. It is a good sub and useful in a lot of places, but telling someone who's pretty much just starting to pick up the job, that one of the major subs should NEVER be used, is just going to give the wrong impressions to people.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-23 17:12:06  
Tarowyn said:
Come on, you could at least find an image without Sample all over it, lol.

And blm is supposed to do dmg and crowd control even if you're not going to include healing.

And you never responded to my other post!

Actually I did respond I don't feel like going thru to find it though. And I was busy with other things as far as the pic goes. And I never disagreed about crowd control. The only is not only nuking good but actually being able to do so. Which if you read Kaekos blm is pretty much the whole thing. Various methods of staying alive and getting enough distance to cast another nuke. Either thru superior movement speed or blink casting or dmg reductioning or taking advantage of poor pathing. Hell he even admits that with advances in -dmg sets it allows him to get back to doing blm worth of nuking more without the instant squish that would normal make you hold back.
Though at this point what I find most amusing is people actually searching for this and bringing this back to front page lol.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-23 17:15:19  
Just to speak to Tarowyn's point about /whm I'll say I wish more BLMs would've thought more about the situation and the setup during low-man adventures involving actual tanking and not burning. Before the "lvl the jab foist, nab" stuff comes in, I'm only giving perspective from a team's POV which is where I think /WHM is most involved. The example that stands out the most in my mind is when BLMs would come to Salvage where you're already in a position to squeeze out every ounce of efficiency as well as possibly being a live-saving -na/erase and shirking that off in favor of slightly higher damage. D; I know we treated you like ***after AU came out, but spite is a bad look for you, BLMs! lol

Also, that "keke forgot RR ^^;" is not as cute as you think! lol
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-08-23 17:19:46  
I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG! STFU AND KILL YOURSELF!
/sums up thread
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-23 17:26:14  
Dasva said:
Actually I did respond I don't feel like going thru to find it though. And I was busy with other things as far as the pic goes. And I never disagreed about crowd control. The only is not only nuking good but actually being able to do so. Which if you read Kaekos blm is pretty much the whole thing. Various methods of staying alive and getting enough distance to cast another nuke. Either thru superior movement speed or blink casting or dmg reductioning or taking advantage of poor pathing. Hell he even admits that with advances in -dmg sets it allows him to get back to doing blm worth of nuking more without the instant squish that would normal make you hold back.
Though at this point what I find most amusing is people actually searching for this and bringing this back to front page lol.

Actually, you responded to other posts but never to mine, lol. It's only one page back, so lazy.

The crowd control line was in response to your previous post where you said "I'll do what blm is supposed to do, Damage". And I still think you're just in situations where blm dmg is all you need to care about. There are other situations where crowd control is just as important or even more so. One problem is there's multiple people poking at different points of your argument so it's kinda impossible to follow through with anything.

And when I posted, it was still in the top 10ish posts or so, I just normally check the forum list, lol.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-23 17:30:57  
Ludoggy said:
I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG! STFU AND KILL YOURSELF!
/sums up thread

Pic related.

User submitted image
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-23 17:32:40  
That comic has totally been going through my head the entire thread.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-23 17:35:58  
Yes... a blm is supposed to do damage. That being said that is really hard to do while getting your face beat in. Its simple do dmg... when and where you can and when something is preventing you from doing so fix that so you can nuke again. And yes any situation where I'm gonna come blm outside of namis dmg is generally gonna be my main concern and even then it actually probably is the main one but sleeping is close... chances are if I have other concerns that are mage related I will come as another job that is better suited for that. Generally rdm. Why cause it gets the job done a hell of a lot better. Even crowd control alot of the times is better on rdm.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-23 17:41:51  
Dasva said:
Yes... a blm is supposed to do damage. That being said that is really hard to do while getting your face beat in. Its simple do dmg... when and where you can and when something is preventing you from doing so fix that so you can nuke again. And yes any situation where I'm gonna come blm outside of namis dmg is generally gonna be my main concern and even then... chances are if I have other concerns that are mage related I will come as another job that is better suited for that. Generally rdm. Why cause it gets the job done a hell of a lot better. Even crowd control alot of the times is better on rdm.

That's true, but /rdm doesn't neccesarily always provide you with the tools to prevent your face getting beat in (read things that you can't gravity). This is also true in xp parties when you don't have blink/SS yet since /rdm gets them later.

But not everyone can just come as another job nor is it appropriate. Coming rdm for stuff like dynamis-xarc means you will essentially not be nuking since it's not very effective. Blm would allow you to nuke and crowd control depending on the situation. As for crowd control, they each have their good/bad sides, rdm gets faster casting, blm gets sleepga/II independent of subjob, depends what exactly you're dealing with.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-23 17:58:29  
Depends on why I'm coming rdm. If I'm /blm yeah places like xarc nukes will tend to fail short on the more resistant mobs there /sch I'm more than good enough to nuke on par with blms... on the tier... or as with alot of blms I tend to do stuff with a tier higher lol.
While having a member or 2 not having much in job selection is one thing having an entire group that can't bring essential jobs to the point where you have to make someone use there subjob to sorta do that job is just kinda sad. Its like have a whm come /blm cause you have no other source of sleep just makes me wanna /facepalm
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8