By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 18:42:04  
I still use RR hairpin /whm.
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
サーバ: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-08-19 18:47:06
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

There's actually camps you'll need /whm for while levelling BLM. Aydeewa Fleas is the only I can think of off the top of my head, but if you don't have stoneskin/Blink there, you're ***.

Either way, I still view having every subjob as useful. They have their places. Saying they don't is just being closed-minded.
 Seraph.Zoey
サーバ: Seraph
user: ZoeyofS
By Seraph.Zoey 2009-08-19 19:08:49  
Buckeyespud said:
Something I forgot to ask is if the DoT enfeebs override or are overriden by other enfeebs from other jobs. In other words, can I start out fights with those two without worrying about stepping on other's toes?

Elemental dots can override eachother but wont cancel regular enfeebles.

burn will override frost for example.

Frost is usefull for lvling in parties becuase it lowers enemy agi which helps melee acc.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-19 20:23:52  
Enternius said:
In my opinion, no BLM should ever sub WHM for anything. Sure you get -na spells but that's what WHM, RDM, SMN, SCH, and BRD are for.

Subbing WHM on BLM is like going PLD/BRD to keep your MP up. Sure, it makes sense for that one purpose but you won't be very good at what you're actually SUPPOSED to be doing.

You gonna Salvage as blm/rdm ? *** fail. Same goes with nyzul, blm/rdm is ***. For most of assaults too, especially tier 10, /whm is a must. They are lot of situation where /whm is almost mandatory, situations where you'll provide more support~crowd control than actually nuking. /sch is out of question for these events. Too risky, no erase, etc...

In b4 : I wouldn't do these events with BLM in the first place, that's not the topic. We're talking about SJ, main job ain't a variable ITT.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
サーバ: Unicorn
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-08-19 20:33:30  
I'm a career Blm and i use Burn all the time, as for the others mainly only use them on Omega and some nm's.

For lvls 1-50 /nin is great solo and in xp. 51-75 i use /Rdm for solo and parties. At 51 solo you should be able to 1-shot all gob pets till the mid 60's and even then you can if you got mad nice gears. Once you can no longer 1-shot pets its all about /nin.

Once your 75 there is no excuse to be anything but /Rdm 99% of the time, some Znm's /nin is good and then i ONLY use /whm for Byakko in Sky.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 20:37:55  
Antipika said:

You gonna Salvage as blm/rdm ? *** fail. Same goes with nyzul, blm/rdm is ***. For most of assaults too, especially tier 10, /whm is a must. They are lot of situation where /whm is almost mandatory, situations where you'll provide more support~crowd control than actually nuking. /sch is out of question for these events. Too risky, no erase, etc...

In b4 : I wouldn't do these events with BLM in the first place, that's not the topic. We're talking about SJ, main job ain't a variable ITT.

A must lol. Thats right I lol at you. 90% of the nyzuls Ive done NO ONE was /whm. And no I dont bring main whms in either. In fact most of my runs were 1 rdm/sch and 5 DDs. wtf does /whm have to do with crowd control. Oh and yeah I was blm/rdm or rdm/sch for all of the tier10 assualts.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-08-19 20:38:15  
Antipika said:
Enternius said:
In my opinion, no BLM should ever sub WHM for anything. Sure you get -na spells but that's what WHM, RDM, SMN, SCH, and BRD are for.

Subbing WHM on BLM is like going PLD/BRD to keep your MP up. Sure, it makes sense for that one purpose but you won't be very good at what you're actually SUPPOSED to be doing.

Your correct in using /whm for salvage, however i would never /whm in nyzul. If your going to zool as a blm your going to do Magical Damage and alot of times this means soloing a mob, in which case Gravity + Phalanx win the day.

And for assault there very few assaults where you even want a blm over a DD or a different Mage job. And when you do want a BLM you want them to do what BLM does best. NUKE! GRAV! KITE! NUKE!
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-08-19 20:39:19  
Vincevalentine said:
There's actually camps you'll need /whm for while levelling BLM. Aydeewa Fleas is the only I can think of off the top of my head, but if you don't have stoneskin/Blink there, you're ***.

Either way, I still view having every subjob as useful. They have their places. Saying they don't is just being closed-minded.

just like saying shura is useless is being closed minded as well BACK ON TOPIC

I honestly hardly use blm/whm anymore unless specifically asked to (such as Ein for ex.) 99% of the time i get yelled at if im NOT /rdm or /sch...which i dont have /sch so yea /rdm most of the time. Iv also wanted to try /drk one day....just b/c i can.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 20:43:08  
Ya know what Ill just refer to the job overview... Through devastating magic spells, Black Mages (BLM) bring tremendous firepower to the battlefield. A Black Mage's job is simply to cast offensive spells and destroy enemies. In battle, Black Mages are often called upon to participate in skillchains by finishing each chain off with a magic burst, adding even more destructive power to a party's repertoire.

Pretty sure /whm doesn't help you do any of that.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-08-19 20:43:43  
Dasva said:
Ya know what Ill just refer to the job overview... Through devastating magic spells, Black Mages (BLM) bring tremendous firepower to the battlefield. A Black Mage's job is simply to cast offensive spells and destroy enemies. In battle, Black Mages are often called upon to participate in skillchains by finishing each chain off with a magic burst, adding even more destructive power to a party's repertoire.

agreed
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-19 20:53:06  
Dasva said:
A must lol. Thats right I lol at you. 90% of the nyzuls Ive done NO ONE was /whm. And no I dont bring main whms in either. In fact most of my runs were 1 rdm/sch and 5 DDs. wtf does /whm have to do with crowd control. Oh and yeah I was blm/rdm or rdm/sch for all of the tier10 assualts.

Oh man, what does that party setup do with flayers and no light based dispel, lol (unless one of your DD's is blu, never sure how people like to classify it). Nyzul I guess you can get away with no /whm as long as you're sure everyone carries clerics on them.

Motokosun said:
Your correct in using /whm for salvage, however i would never /whm in nyzul. If your going to zool as a blm your going to do Magical Damage and alot of times this means soloing a mob, in which case Gravity + Phalanx win the day.

And for assault there very few assaults where you even want a blm over a DD or a different Mage job. And when you do want a BLM you want them to do what BLM does best. NUKE! GRAV! KITE! NUKE!

I'm actually the opposite mind, salvage you should always have at least 2-3 jobs which are already /whm which covers the tanks. The thf can wait if they're even getting hit by aoe's. Nyzul on the other hand, the only thing BLM really excels at in there is slimes and puddings, everything else, the melee will probably rape faster than you can even get a nuke off. If you really want to solo other stuff, grav is nice, but sleep works just as well 95% of the time not to mention there's probably already a main rdm to grav. And seriously phalanx? Not really gonna save you against anything important.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-19 20:56:28  
Dasva said:

And this is why there are so many HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE blms out there who don't know to do anything but nuke.

Edit:
And on that note, what does rdm do to help you with that? -15% casting speed and like 3 int or something? Not a bad thing certainly but not game breaking.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 21:00:46  
Better than nothing... theres also gravity it helps alot. I expect each job to do their job so I dont have to gimp myself with a crappy subjob and do theres for them
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-19 21:03:11  
But gravity does nothing to assist with
Dasva said:
A Black Mage's job is simply to cast offensive spells and destroy enemies.

And I guess that's your choice, I'd generally rather be more flexible than to do a little more dmg and cast a little faster (barring any specific reason I need to be /rdm).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 21:08:07  
Tarowyn said:
But gravity does nothing to assist with
Dasva said:
A Black Mage's job is simply to cast offensive spells and destroy enemies.

And I guess that's your choice, I'd generally rather be more flexible than to do a little more dmg and cast a little faster (barring any specific reason I need to be /rdm).

Actually you can cast more offensive spells when the mob isnt beating your face in. If I wanted flexibility Id go as rdm or blu or brd or whatever. Or have someone else do it.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-19 21:23:11  
Another thing to keep in mind, the OP is currently only lvl 24. Let's look at what each job gets as they lvl (gonna not include sch as it's still kind of a minor sub and really does overlap with /whm about 90%)

Making comments here since some people will probably just skip the spell list. Also didn't include some spells that don't really have much impact.

At the OP's current lvl, there is essentially 0 benefit of /rdm over /whm, whm gets more spells, more mp, access to cure 2 for emergency situations. I guess technically rdm probably has 2 int maybe over whm. At 30, rdm finally gets something, but fast cast 1, while nice, isn't really game breaking, especially in party situations. 42, rdm finally gets one of the main reasons for using /rdm, gravity. Whm gets blink/stoneskin 8/12 lvls earlier respectively. Being able to cast Raise is also a nice convenience even though you probably shouldn't need it very often.

Yes, at 75 /rdm is very nice, and is useful most places, but before that happens, you have to GET there, and in party situations getting to 75, /whm will be far more useful than /rdm in nearly every situation.

At 24:
Whm gets Cure, Cure II, Paralyna, Poisona, Dia, Protect/ra, lolbanish, Paralyze, random bar-ra spells
Rdm gets Cure, Dia, Protect, Paralyze, random bar spells

26, both get Slow, rdm gets Cure II
30, Whm gets silence, Rdm gets Fast Cast 1
32, Whm gets Curaga, Rdm gets lolenthunder (not gonna keep including ens but every 4 lvls)
38, Whm gets Silena,Blink
42, Whm gets Cure III, both get Regen, Rdm gets Gravity
46, Rdm gets Blink
50, Whm gets Raise,Reraise
52, Rdm gets Cure III
54, Both get respective Protect/ra II's
56, Whm gets Stoneskin
62, Whm gets Curaga II, Rdm gets Dia II
66, Rdm gets Phalanx
68, Rdm gets Stoneskin
70, Rdm gets Fast Cast II
72, Whm gets Dia II
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-19 21:27:26  
Dasva said:
Actually you can cast more offensive spells when the mob isnt beating your face in. If I wanted flexibility Id go as rdm or blu or brd or whatever. Or have someone else do it.

Does nothing at all if the mob you're fighting is not being kited though. That's your choice to just switch jobs, but it still doesn't change the fact that for people who would rather not be one trick ponys, /whm is a useful sub.

And brd, flexible, wtf? I guess in the sense that you provide different buffs for different jobs, but brd and flexible just doesn't... right
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 21:34:18  
brds should go /whm...
Either way Ill do more dmg. Ill survive slightly better and I wont do the support jobs for them.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-19 21:38:13  
so /rdm is pretty much the selfish, it's all about me sub, gotcha.

and about the brd thing, the way you said it made it sound like being a brd is somehow inherently more flexible, not that a brd shouldn't be /whm (and even that is situational).
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-19 21:42:27  
Dasva said:
Antipika said:

1 RDM, 5DD, cool, where's the blm there ? Are we talking about BLM or not ? Can you even read me before posting ? BLM ain't a *** variable in this thread. So include blm or gtfo. When I talk about nyzul, only talking about boss runs (w/e about climbing, not like you do that often). And what about salvage, you /rdm there ? lol...

As for CC, well if you're para'd, can paralyna yourself and get back to sleep mobs, instead of begging for para. In b4 remedies... At this rate we can simply use meds for everything and never worry about status cure.

Quote:

Quote:

Sure goin with "I'd use another job" solves all problem lol.

Tarowyn said:
Dasva said:

And this is why there are so many HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE blms out there who don't know to do anything but nuke.

Edit:
And on that note, what does rdm do to help you with that? -15% casting speed and like 3 int or something? Not a bad thing certainly but not game breaking.

Definitely true. Not like +4INT and Fast Cast gonna completely change the game. As for gravity, yeah sometime it's mandatory, but while fighting some mobs, it's completely useless (thinking about mob you sleep>nuke>sleep and doesn't have enhancement movement).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 21:51:02  
Antipika said:
1 RDM, 5DD, cool, where's the blm there ? Are we talking about BLM or not ? Can you even read me before posting ? BLM ain't a *** variable in this thread. So include blm or gtfo. When I talk about nyzul, only talking about boss runs (w/e about climbing, not like you do that often). And what about salvage, you /rdm there ? lol...

Can you even read yourself? You already said its dumb to bring blm in there. I was showing how even on other jobs that normally could without gimping themselves could easily not /whm. Making it clearly not a must. Oh and I dont do much salvage and when I do im never blm. Lol yeah I dont do boss runs or climb... sure. For a good year I did used every tag I got
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-19 21:56:41  
Off course it's dumb to bring BLM there, definitely not the best choice, still it can happen, in that case /whm is more useful than /rdm. You don't need to gravity/kite anything in there. Provided you have a RDM already, you won't need dispel either. Fast Cast / INT+4 are minors increase. While /whm can be useful to do the basic support things (para/blinda etc...) and prevent RDM from doing it, so he can focus on something else.

As for Salvage, go there as blm/rdm, and you'll see how useful you are. Then retry /whm.
 Pandemonium.Vincevalentine
サーバ: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Vincevalentine 2009-08-19 22:14:46
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Dubont said:

just like saying shura is useless is being closed minded as well BACK ON TOPIC

Boy, you're a real dipshit aren't you? Not to mention a gimp *** SAM. I dropped that argument, sorry you can't admit you're WRONG.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-19 22:27:03  
Dasva said:

Simply put, the fact is that while the description above is BLM's primary objective and best skill, that is not the final extent of the job.

BLM is incredibly more versatile than just that, and can be played different ways for varying fights and party setups.

Limiting yourself to a certain play style only shows how little you actually know about the job, and how ineffective you become when contributing to your group's overall success during events.

You'd do best to learn that /RDM, /WHM, /NIN, and even /SCH all have thier usefulness. You'll become a better player when you learn when you should use them.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-19 22:31:47  
Sure keep telling yourself that. There are very rare exceptions sure. But in the end most of those exceptions need those subjobs to help you do your job better.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-19 22:33:32  
Dasva said:
Sure keep telling yourself that. There are very rare exceptions sure. But in the end most of those exceptions need those subjobs to help you do your job better.

lol re-read what you just said and then tell me again i'm wrong.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-08-19 23:07:47  
Vincevalentine said:

Boy, you're a real dipshit aren't you? Not to mention a gimp *** SAM. I dropped that argument, sorry you can't admit you're WRONG.

User submitted image
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-19 23:10:45  
I like where this thread is going.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-08-19 23:14:01  
User submitted image

To everyone doggin on Dasva and sayin ***about him...check his player rank...now check your own.

User submitted image
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-20 00:23:29  
Dubont said:
User submitted image

To everyone doggin on Dasva and sayin ***about him...check his player rank...now check your own.

User submitted image

Lol thanks for the backup though I wouldnt necessarily use that as a reason lol. Not withuot checking the acheivements that is. Now to get that high with only lvling 4 jobs to 75...
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8