2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » [dev1151] Job Adjustments: Rune Fencer
[dev1151] Job Adjustments: Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 04:29:53  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Stop putting words in my mouth. I also like run a lot, it's tons of fun to play, but feelings don't make it better. Remove the blinkers, job sucks for anything that matters.
Actually try it out in anything that matters. Gear it with other jobs, go to an event, try it out, and just maybe you'll actually play the job in the right event and see how it works. But thats a huge maybe since apparently everyone has perfect weapons and gear and you dont and every RUN is going to be a derptarded idiot and not know how to get the mobs attention. Seems like that is the perfectly valid logic there.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-14 04:32:34  
You know, everyone in the game is stupid except you. Nobody uses run cause we can't understand it, you're the only special one who can grasp its awesomeness.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 04:34:54  
You know, everyone in the game is stupid except you. Nobody uses run cause we can't understand it, you're the only special one who can grasp its awesomeness.
Now whose putting words in peoples mouths? Im just saying you refuse to try or find out how. Just automatically assign RUN into a useless box because its not as easy as wiggling a bell and everythings found out in a week and no gear required.Cant even play it like a BRD if you wanted to. Can try to play it like a DRK, but that would totally defeat the purpouse of not gearing it until someone else figures it out for you or shows you where it can be useful.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-14 04:35:57  
You make a lot of assumptions about what I do or what I don't. Also forgot to mention, but paladin mitigates magic damage better than run also.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 04:43:19  
You make a lot of assumptions about what I do or what I don't. Also forgot to mention, but paladin mitigates magic damage better than run also.
Magic damage yes, but RESISTANCE is a key factor in RUN aswell. PLD also mitigates magic damage well because it has 100% MDT- gear. RUN makes up with this in job abilities mixed with the ability to completely resist effects. Damage mitigation every three minutes (and more if its just a caster mob,you can put on a DT- set[RUN gets a deep well of MDT/DT/PDT only pieces,its just finding a gearhaste capped hybrid set thats the real problem.]). Even after this update you may not need a complete turtle set to avoid physical damage,with the parry rate increase from the JA and the natural skill,which i'd imagine with tactical parry procs you wont need a 20 hit build to get a WS off. It has the potential to be a great tanking job for the occasionally abusive casting mob or the heavy physical mob that attacks slowly. These situations exist,it just lacks the 10K damage weaponskills to be acceptable enough to "hold hate" (which AGAIN is not the only factor).
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-14 04:46:19  
I'll just quote myself from the other thread. If you want to insist, go ahead but you just stubbornly refuse that the job is not as good as everyone wish.

Run works on delve nms, but the fact that it works doesn't mean it's worth it.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 04:51:40  
I'll just quote myself from the other thread. If you want to insist, go ahead but you just stubbornly refuse that the job is not as good as everyone wish.

Run works on delve nms, but the fact that it works doesn't mean it's worth it.
I insist that it is getting to where it should be, and can be used in a limited spectrum in the role it is meant to be used.DD's work on Delve NMs also, doesnt mean you can just spam Resolution on every one of them and hope you do alot of damage. You have to gear for it,understand how the event works,know how to play your job, and actually try it out and exploit what makes your job do well. Without any of that, we wouldnt know anything about these events if people didnt actually try to figure this ***out and attempt with their best attempts at what they are doing. I do insist that you continue to be completely ignorant of the options and their gravity though,its cute.
 Asura.Ryndo
サーバ: Asura
user: Zarrox
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-06-14 05:04:18  
I am disappointed... RUN Is destined to suck. :(
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-14 05:05:52  
You just keep making assumptions about me, implying I'm clueless about how to play this job..maybe if you'll look around this forum section you'll notice I'm one of the few who actually cares about this job.
Unlike you I don't try to belittle you, I'm sure you know how to play run since you're so passionate about it; what you don't know though is that it's a wasted party slot.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 05:17:46  
You just keep making assumptions about me, implying I'm clueless about how to play this job..maybe if you'll look around this forum section you'll notice I'm one of the few who actually cares about this job.
Unlike you I don't try to belittle you, I'm sure you know how to play run since you're so passionate about it; what you don't know though is that it's a wasted party slot.
Yea, with a half attempted guide and no real attempts to do endgame content where it would perform well. Thats great and all, but the original outlook on these forums was as a DD with multi-attacks being its gear priority and nothing else. It is not a DD,it is a tank that uses damage,abilities,and spells to maintain hate against primarily magic and enfeebling using NMs. It is only a waste in the party slot if you are doing straight zergs that do not require a tank of any form period and try to tank stuff you arent supposed to. OR, in a DD Zerg situation where you are trying to reach numbers that are impossible with extremely high expectations anyway.

It is useful, just not totally realized.
 Bismarck.Xellan
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Xellan
By Bismarck.Xellan 2013-06-14 06:09:10  
...There better be a whole lot of store TP on the empyrean gear, because so far this doesn't seem to add a whole lot to potential DPS. Never get to take Run to any events. -.-

Subtle blow? Really?

I guess at least Inspire will slightly mitigate the problems brought on by casting while /sam with Hasso active.
 Leviathan.Kincard
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-14 07:00:32  
Enuyasha said: »
It is only a waste in the party slot if you are doing straight zergs that do not require a tank of any form period and try to tank stuff you arent supposed to. OR, in a DD Zerg situation where you are trying to reach numbers that are impossible with extremely high expectations anyway.

It is useful, just not totally realized.

hey guess what we call a job that's only useful in cases where just about any job would work

"not useful"
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-14 10:09:44  

06-14-2013 03:56 AM
[source]
Gildrein
Community Rep

[dev1151] Job Adjustments: Rune Fencer

• Rune Fencer has been added to the Categories under Merit Points.

• Group 1

• Rune Enhancement Effect
        Increase potency of runes harbored by 2 points.

• Vallation Effect
        Add a magic defense bonus to Vallation and a magic defense bonus to Valliance of 1 point per harbored rune.

• Lunge Effect
        Increase the accuracy of Lunge by 3 points per harbored rune.

• Pflug Effect
        Enhance the likelihood of resistance activating by 1 point per harbored rune.

• Gambit Effect
        Shorten recast time by 10 seconds.

• Group 2

• Battuta
        Increases the likelihood of parrying and deals counter damage after parrying dependent upon harbored runes.
        Recast: 5 min. Increase chance of parrying by 4 percent and increase counter damage by 4 points per rune harbored.

• Rayke
        Expends runes to reduce elemental resistance of the target.
        Recast: 5 min. Increase duration of effect by 3 seconds.

• Inspiration
        Grants a “Fast Cast” effect to Vallation and Valiance.
        Increase cast speed by 10 percent.

• Sleight of Sword
        Grants a “Subtle Blow” effect during Swordplay.
        Increase the maximum value of Subtle Blow by 5 points.

Subscribe

Other Updates:
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-06-14 10:16:10  
Thinking about it again...probably 5/5 Runes and Vallation/Valiance in group 1. Gambit is really nice, but its use is fairly limited, dunno if it'd be worth spending the merits on that.

Group 2 still don't know where to place Rayke, maybe over 1 Inspiration. It could be nice to land enfeebles or stun, but whatever..we'll see the potency of all this stuff before deciding.
 Bismarck.Dearborn
user: Dearborn
By Bismarck.Dearborn 2013-06-14 11:07:48  
Here's a simple one that I really wanted that they broke my heart by not including:

Rune damage added to Range Attacks.

I just leveled RUN to make the RNG/RUN and was so excited to have addidtional damage on the range attacks. It would instantly bring RNG and RUN to the head of the table and make some cool gearsets (adding more holy damage to a Holy bolt set, Rangers stacking INT and MAB for additional damage, etc) but they let me down.
 Bismarck.Dearborn
By Bismarck.Dearborn 2013-06-14 12:06:04  
Or the other way around and have a RUN/RNG with range attacks while enhancing the group and minimizing damage.
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-14 12:19:37  
RUN can't equip any ranged weapons whatsoever nor has any skill, so that makes no sense
 Bismarck.Dearborn
By Bismarck.Dearborn 2013-06-14 12:25:14  
Puppetmaster said: »
RUN can't equip any ranged weapons whatsoever nor has any skill, so that makes no sense

But the RNG/RUN would if the additional damage was added to the ranged attacks.
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-06-14 12:33:12  
I don't think /RUN would add any damage to Holy Bolts. Only 1 'Add. Effect' can proc per attack.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
user: Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-06-14 12:33:52  
Hurray for lackluster merits.

Rune Enhancement Effect- This one confuses me. Will we simply deal an extra 2 damage per rune, or will the increase be larger than that?

Vallation Effect- If the extra MDB has a substantial enough effect, like One For All, this could be worthwhile.

Lunge Effect- Lunge rarely misses anyways, even on high-level mobs.

Pflug Effect- I have never gotten this damn JA to work. I can have 3 matching runes, the appropriate bar- spell, and still get slammed with status effects all day. I get more random resists with Tenacity alone than when I actively try to prevent one.

Gambit Effect- Reduced recast on an already short-lived ability? Why not increase the effect or the duration? Then it might be somewhat useful.

Battuta- Probably one of the few merits that I actually went "Wow, that might not be too bad."

Rayke- Gambit 2.0, but with the increased duration that Gambit should've gotten. If the effects stack it could make for some sick Lunges, but I wouldn't be surprised if they share a recast ala Collaborator/Accomplice.

Inspiration- I cast three, maybe four spells while I'm actively tanking: Flash, Foil, Phalanx, Regen IV. That's it. Anything else either takes too long or isn't worth the MP cost.

Sleight of Sword- Because Great Swords swing so fast that we actually needed this?
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-06-14 12:53:41  
Stuff I was hoping to see added to the job or meritable that would actually make playing the job more interesting:

• Bar-light/dark

• A JA to convert all current runes to another element (this would be nice for fighting some dual-element casters)

• A JA to expend harbored runes to purge status effects of the opposing alignment (Lux runes remove Bio/Blind, Gelus runes remove silence/gravity etc).

• A 'No-foot rise' JA effect like others mentioned to get 2-3 runes up quickly.

• A single target magic shield like 'One for All' that you can put on a single party member that has its own cooldown.

• Merits for ampliflying runed damage on melee hits when single/dual wielding 1H weapons.
    Requiescat and Sanguine blade are fantastic ws's for runefencers in some situations and i'd really like to see SE make the job viable with swords as well, not just 'GS+reso spam onry'

• TP bonus merits when using 1H weapons. runeFENCER still has no native fencer trait, it should at least match warrior's rank V.

The problem with Rayke is that it just looks like Angon for nukers, and 3 more seconds per merit is a joke unless we see some aug'd af2+2 /af3 type armor that extend the duration 'per-merit' on this and alot of other merit items.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-06-14 13:09:40  
Replying to Sapphire, just not quoting because otherwise this'd be a fairly large post.

- Honestly, I'm not too bothered by the lack of Barlight/dark spells. Since there really aren't that many light- or dark- based 'nukes'/elemental TP moves, I don't see a huge demand for it. The 162 resist from runes seems to suffice for most stuff that I have encountered.
- For multi-element casters, I try to keep two of one rune up and one of the other. It cuts down on your en- spell damage, yes, but it's better than having 3 of one rune active and then having them cast the opposite element while you sit there going "Oh s#*t, I don't have any runes!" It's easier to swap one rune on the fly than all three. I've even been known to keep three different runes up for stuff like Fuath. Again, not as effective, but it's easy enough to rotate bar- spells to compensate.
- A JA to remove status effects would be handy, sort of like PUP's Eraser attachment.
- An ability like Presto would certainly be useful.
- Between Valiance and One For All, I'm not so sure we need another JA to boost party members.
 Leviathan.Kincard
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-06-14 13:20:09  
Bismarck.Ariyon said: »
Will we simply deal an extra 2 damage per rune, or will the increase be larger than that?

The JP version said +2 resistance.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-06-14 13:24:37  
Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Bismarck.Ariyon said: »
Will we simply deal an extra 2 damage per rune, or will the increase be larger than that?

The JP version said +2 resistance.
That's... lame.
 Bismarck.Dearborn
By Bismarck.Dearborn 2013-06-14 16:12:42  
Bahamut.Bojack said: »
I don't think /RUN would add any damage to Holy Bolts. Only 1 'Add. Effect' can proc per attack.

Either way, many Rangers could have done RNG/RUN with Holy Bolt gearset and regular bolts. That would have allowed the RUN additional Damage to be on par with the Holy bolt effect but with regular bolts. Instant upgrade on ranged attack damage.

Instead, blah.

Really was hoping for some excitement on FFXI but it's pretty dull logging in to this game now.
By Arziet 2013-06-14 16:20:24  
Lyncath said: »
A merit ability or trait which enhances DPS would have been welcome...
Subtle Blow? What the heck?

Make it so Rune Enhancement damage rises during Swordplay, Subtle Blow is just pointless.

Considering the whole subtle bow thing; may come in helpful fighting heavy magic mobs who also use devistating tp moves? Just tossing it out there, just not sure if it is woth sacraficing othr merits for it. Sure they will adjust merits in future as feedback rolls in to devs.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-14 16:31:55  
My only real insight to more dark resist is that Death is a dark based spell,so you could potentially full resist death with enough dark resistance and "resist death" equipment (162+Pflug+Death equipment)

As for Inspire,Im going to assume it just gives flat 10% Fast Cast which would be nice for Flash recast,Foil Recast,and putting up aquaveil,stoneskin,and phalanx faster(along with their recast).
By Puppetmaster 2013-06-14 18:29:04  
Charm is light-based, so you can resist it with light resistance runes, barlight would help with that if it existed
Does the Meteor NMs use have an element? (People used to think it was either light or dark, but it might be non-elemental like the player version)
Kaustra is dark nuke, as is Comet
Things like Cait Sith's astral flow, Alexander's astral flow (in the fight against him), Some of Ultima's moves, etc. etc. are all light-based as well. So it wouldn't be useless, if anything the reason they haven't added barlight/bardark is because SE thinks it would be overpowered and they need their "balance" lol
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-06-14 19:20:21  
Puppetmaster said: »
Charm is light-based, so you can resist it with light resistance runes, barlight would help with that if it existed
Does the Meteor NMs use have an element? (People used to think it was either light or dark, but it might be non-elemental like the player version)
Kaustra is dark nuke, as is Comet
Things like Cait Sith's astral flow, Alexander's astral flow (in the fight against him), Some of Ultima's moves, etc. etc. are all light-based as well. So it wouldn't be useless, if anything the reason they haven't added barlight/bardark is because SE thinks it would be overpowered and they need their "balance" lol
Outside of chariots, some poroggo NMs, and certain dynamis NMs, how many mobs are even capable of charming that people fight on a regular basis?
Meteor is non-elemental, so that one's moot. Kaustra I could maybe see, but I think the only things I've ever seen cast it are Paramount Botulus and the Jagil NM in Fractures. (I'm sure there's a few more, they're just the only ones I've seen.) And I don't know that I've ever seen anything use Comet...
Cait Sith is a pretty weak example. You fight him what, once? (I never did the WotG storyline) Alexander is also pretty flimsy unless you're someone who likes to spam him for the lulz, but he's not particularly threatening anyways.
The argument of "balance" and "overpowering" is also lame because you could argue the same thing about the rest of the bar- spells, and they see far more use than barlight/dark ever would.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2013-06-14 19:29:29  
pil kaustra'd the *** outta my blu many times and seeing as i had no whm in my pt i was basically left for dead on the plus side after i died the wars and drks were able to finally have hate