2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 252 253 254 ... 363 364 365
By eliroo 2019-04-23 16:54:22  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Verethragna wins with Impetus up, sure. But I haven't found Godhands beating R15 Spharai. I know there are some spreadsheet gurus in here saying Godhands beats Spharai, but I'm kind of skeptical of the Sagitta/Godhands/Spharai ranking. FH is at least on par with HF/RF. TK with Footwork up (Godhands) is definitely better than Spharai/Sagitta

Please feed the temptation I have for making Spharai.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-23 17:07:07  
I mean I don't really care which one wins, as I plan on R15 Verethragna then Godhands next anyways. Nobody has shows a complete spreadsheet outlining tiers outside of WS hierarchy during JA Up/down. White damage is a huge part of monk, as is Counter damage. That can't be simulated in a spreadsheet effectively, so I'm just not willing to take any of those numbers are fact as to which weapon is "superior".

As with all things in FFXI, the best weapon is: "It Depends".
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-04-23 17:29:02  
White damage is a huge part of monk, as is Counter damage. That can't be simulated in a spreadsheet effectively
Wat.
Unless I'm reading you wrong, white damage is quite easy to simulate in Spreadsheet. Or at least not harder than anything else.
So either you define Spreadsheets completely useless, or clearly you don't define them "useless for white damage" °-°

And Counter Damage is a huge part of MNK damage only in the minds of the wankers who love to fapfapfap about counter.
It is undoubtely cool and unique and can be nice in some nichey fights, but it's hardly a huge part of MNK's damage. I mean in a proper fight with a tank who's not gonna lose hate, it will be a zero part actually lol
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-04-23 18:35:05  
I mean I don't really care which one wins, as I plan on R15 Verethragna then Godhands next anyways. Nobody has shows a complete spreadsheet outlining tiers outside of WS hierarchy during JA Up/down. White damage is a huge part of monk, as is Counter damage. That can't be simulated in a spreadsheet effectively, so I'm just not willing to take any of those numbers are fact as to which weapon is "superior".

My huge list, that I posted on page 242 was a result of 10h work with spreadsheet. Sure it doesn't cover Counter damage, but Counter damage won't be as significant as you think, unless you turtle in counter set (might be good timing to show my theory turtle counter set :D)

ItemSet 360430

Even when lowman, you should focus on para and elegy/slow your target instead of letting him swing at you faster and more frequent to increase you counter damage.
By fonewear 2019-04-23 18:46:57  

According to my spreadsheet you are wrong.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-23 18:48:02  
But you missed the most important part "It depends". I mean, OBVIOUSLY With a tank counter damage is null, but that's not really the point I was making. All weapons are strong, some better than others for specific buffs/roles. The hierarchy is only relative to the role you're engaging in.

Are you tanking/soloing? Do you momentarily have the monsters attention? For how long? Does the monster have double or triple attack, or does he attack fast? Are you having to swap to a dt set, sacrificing valuable stp/ma? If so, you lose raw white damage in favor of survival gear. Counter helps contribute to white damage, closing the gap a bit during those times. It's no secret the weapons have different strengths, but to say that counter is insignificant because a tank is taking all of the hate... Well duh, that's not the scenario where counter would matter. counter is a unique aspect to Monk, and if for the fact that counterstance wasn't so janky, it would be more impressive as a white damage contributor.

Spreadsheets are not 100% accurate for all things, they are a great guide and baseline idea but when people pop up and say "okay this is the order of best weapons" based on a spreadsheet post without context, details are being left out. I'm not sold on the order of weapons yet besides verethragna#1, rest tied for second place cuz "it depends"
[+]
By fonewear 2019-04-23 18:48:35  
The important part is to argue about random numbers on a spreadsheet till you find out who has the best numbers.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-23 18:53:00  
I like the set a few pages ago using ta'lab trousers. They soften the loss of MA a bit better
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
user: DarkdoomG
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-04-23 19:57:52  
eliroo said: »
Verethragna wins with Impetus up, sure. But I haven't found Godhands beating R15 Spharai. I know there are some spreadsheet gurus in here saying Godhands beats Spharai, but I'm kind of skeptical of the Sagitta/Godhands/Spharai ranking. FH is at least on par with HF/RF. TK with Footwork up (Godhands) is definitely better than Spharai/Sagitta

Please feed the temptation I have for making Spharai.

In actual parses, Karambit have been shitting all over Spharai. They aren't r15 yet, so ymmv, but I'm definitely taking the ranking posted a few pages ago with some serious salt. Talking such a wide margin I don't see the bonuses from r15 closing the gap at all, despite what the spreadsheets show.

Get Sphar if you find yourself tanking often and don't mind losing dps to it, but I doubt they're going to beat MEA/SU5 in any situation for dps. Very rarely if ever do I feel like I need the extra counter from FH aftermath to not die, as well, so they're kind of superfluous even in situations where you are tanking.

Counter damage is completely insignificant, so please don't base your weapon decisions of that.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-04-23 21:05:29  
I am going to need to make those h2h. I thought they were garbage but if they are at least better than spharai then that's pretty dang good. What is the ideal standard TP set for that h2h? I'm assuming full kenda + adhemar head hands, or does ryou body get more burn
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
サーバ: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-23 21:06:10  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Cant erase a target you dont know has a debuff, and you cant target to check debuffs unless youre not engaged. Curing while engaged is also slower by how stpc works.
I seriously never had an issue curing while meleeing, and that was well over 3 years ago. It seriously is not that hard.

Vanilla Windower can do it. I mean, come on now....

Theyre not a tank because theyre not a tank. Their role is DD. They might have some mitigation tools, but they dont have the survivability tools a real tank has. A war in a DT set is still a wet noodle in the wind.
If you are going by what they can/cannot do by themselves, then you have a point.

But then again, in a party situation, a PLD or RUN isn't expected to mainheal. In pissant situations like Ambuscade, where a PLD or RUN is not 100% needed 100% of the time, you would expect the healers to do it's job, and, you know, heal. If you are the WHM and you cannot heal the WAR who is holding hate because you don't think the WAR deserves to be healed because they don't have healing abilities/spells, then you should just drop the party. You would probably do the party more good by letting a better healer in it in that case, cause you cannot do the one thing you are there for.

And guess what? In Ambuscade, some fights don't even need to have the DDs in DT sets if the healer is good. It just sounds like you don't fit that category.

The *** are you on about not healing a war because it lacks healing spells? Where have i said not to heal them? I stated theyre not a tank, because theyre not. Theyre a DD. Not a tank. Them having hate does not then make them a tank, it makes them a wet noodle getting smacked around. Doesnt matter if they put on -DT gear, they lack the inherent damage mitigation pld and run have with shield/parry rates and their JAs. A DD is still a DD even when a target is looking at them.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-23 21:09:14  
Nariont said: »
Cant erase a target you dont know has a debuff

so, are all the enfeebs associated with tp moves, aoes, etc just random to you, do you have no memory of mob did x tp move/aoe so y debuff was applied? Or is this going to follow into you not being able to na/erase just to be safe, which leads into our paper tank/dd in question dying immediately cause you were curing every second of a fight?

Requires you to always be looking at the mob/chat log to see what debuff was applied to who and who was hit. Not always practical, given you also need to look at HP bars. Its easy to miss visual ques when youre playing a job requiring you to not look at visual queues for extended periods of time.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-04-23 21:32:49  
Granted they're party only, but there are vanilla settings that let you see debuffs.
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-04-23 21:54:46  
I am going to need to make those h2h. I thought they were garbage but if they are at least better than spharai then that's pretty dang good. What is the ideal standard TP set for that h2h? I'm assuming full kenda + adhemar head hands, or does ryou body get more burn

Using something pretty standard for TP, 3/5 Kenda, Adh Head/hands +1, crit rate on cape. Haven't tried ryuo body, but it shouldn't be as good as Kenda. Cape is probably the only real change over what you would normally use.

In low buff situations, they're pretty terrible, but once you have proper buffs(rolls+honor march songs+geo bubbles) your tp gain is astronomical. You lose a little bit of wsavg from the (very) slightly lower base damage, and you lose the double damage proc eyecandy from relic, but the increase in ws frequency was more than making up for it.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-23 23:12:40  
Siren.Kyte said: »
Granted they're party only, but there are vanilla settings that let you see debuffs.

Let you see debuffs on who youre currently targetting, like i said
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-04-23 23:39:58  
Partybuffs is a very good addon. It only does what the game should already do by letting you see your parties buffs/debuffs. Highly recommended.

I do wish you could turn off the buffs and/or select buffs only.. it does get... cluttered... but it's better than guessing.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-04-23 23:41:30  
Cant erase a target you dont know has a debuff, and you cant target to check debuffs unless youre not engaged. Curing while engaged is also slower by how stpc works.
I seriously never had an issue curing while meleeing, and that was well over 3 years ago. It seriously is not that hard.

Theyre not a tank because theyre not a tank. Their role is DD. They might have some mitigation tools, but they dont have the survivability tools a real tank has. A war in a DT set is still a wet noodle in the wind.
If you are going by what they can/cannot do by themselves, then you have a point.

But then again, in a party situation, a PLD or RUN isn't expected to mainheal. In pissant situations like Ambuscade, where a PLD or RUN is not 100% needed 100% of the time, you would expect the healers to do it's job, and, you know, heal. If you are the WHM and you cannot heal the WAR who is holding hate because you don't think the WAR deserves to be healed because they don't have healing abilities/spells, then you should just drop the party. You would probably do the party more good by letting a better healer in it in that case, cause you cannot do the one thing you are there for.

And guess what? In Ambuscade, some fights don't even need to have the DDs in DT sets if the healer is good. It just sounds like you don't fit that category.

The *** are you on about not healing a war because it lacks healing spells? Where have i said not to heal them? I stated theyre not a tank, because theyre not. Theyre a DD. Not a tank. Them having hate does not then make them a tank, it makes them a wet noodle getting smacked around. Doesnt matter if they put on -DT gear, they lack the inherent damage mitigation pld and run have with shield/parry rates and their JAs. A DD is still a DD even when a target is looking at them.

To be fair (regarding the wet noodle comment)

Souveran+1, Adapa Shield with Relic +3 gloves, reprisal proc and 524 shield skill can be pretty decent for damage mitigation, at least against physical attacks. WAR is hardly a wet noodle. More like a very Ghetto O-chain PLD at that point.

But you sacrifice all offensive capabilities in doing so.

I'll be hiding behind my brick wall again. Because of the incoming:

I've done my share of becoming the last line of defense/emergency tank.

Neat fact, they even get Shield Mastery III which isn't too shabby if I was /NIN to begin with.

I wish MNK had that luxury with Guard.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-04-24 09:13:34  

The way you are going about pretty much anything now, you are complaining about not doing your job because you want somebody else to do it for you.

It seems like you think that the only role a WHM has anymore is to case -na/Erase/Esuna and Bar- spells. That's it. You don't want to heal the tank because "PLDs and RUNs have damage mitigation abilities plus the ability to cure themselves," and you don't want to cure DDs because "they aren't tanks and shouldn't be getting hit in the first place, and if they are, that means they are bad DDs and should stay on the floor when they die due to lack of curing ability."

Because those are your arguments. You pretty much want to be a lazy WHM who only hits a button once every 20 seconds, and even then, only to 1 character. You don't contribute even the minimum amount to the party, nor even to any discussion. So, why not just admit that you are wrong (everyone else here says you are, and you know what they say about everyone's opinion vs. your own) and learn or ignore this advice.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-24 10:19:01  

The way you are going about pretty much anything now, you are complaining about not doing your job because you want somebody else to do it for you.

It seems like you think that the only role a WHM has anymore is to case -na/Erase/Esuna and Bar- spells. That's it. You don't want to heal the tank because "PLDs and RUNs have damage mitigation abilities plus the ability to cure themselves," and you don't want to cure DDs because "they aren't tanks and shouldn't be getting hit in the first place, and if they are, that means they are bad DDs and should stay on the floor when they die due to lack of curing ability."

Because those are your arguments. You pretty much want to be a lazy WHM who only hits a button once every 20 seconds, and even then, only to 1 character. You don't contribute even the minimum amount to the party, nor even to any discussion. So, why not just admit that you are wrong (everyone else here says you are, and you know what they say about everyone's opinion vs. your own) and learn or ignore this advice.

All youve done is proven you cant read, given most what you claim ive never stated.

Edit: reading all of it now.... Yeah, all of what you claim ive said ive never said. Not even most, all of it.
VIP
By Lili 2019-04-24 10:32:52  

He's just clueless about how to play a WHM. In the WHM guide thread he's shown as much repeteadly, by making a series of inane statements that all the sane WHMs promptly rebuked.

Alternatively, he's a huge troll. An effective one too, since he got all WHMs pretty triggered multiple times, really easily (myself included).
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-24 10:35:25  
Lili said: »

He's just clueless about how to play a WHM. In the WHM guide thread he's shown as much repeteadly, by making a series of inane statements that all the sane WHMs promptly rebuked.

Alternatively, he's a huge troll. An effective one too, since he got all WHMs pretty triggered multiple times, really easily (myself included).

Everything i state is correct.
By eliroo 2019-04-24 11:13:40  

And there we have it. The very reason why being stuck in an eternal loop of playing Red light/ Green Light with Cait sith is still somehow not only more enjoyable but even more productive than arguing or discussing anything with Nyaarun.

Seriously though, its ok to be wrong. I say stupid ***sometimes and I'm quickly corrected and can easily admit when I'm wrong. It is a skill you should really learn.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-24 11:15:43  

And there we have it. The very reason why being stuck in an eternal loop of playing Hot and Cold with Cait sith is still somehow not only more enjoyable but even more productive than arguing or discussing anything with Nyaarun.

Seriously though, its ok to be wrong. I say stupid ***sometimes and I'm quickly corrected and can easily admit when I'm wrong. It is a skill you should really learn.

Sure, when im actually wrong.
By eliroo 2019-04-24 11:22:28  
Lakshmi.Darkdoom said: »
In actual parses, Karambit have been shitting all over Spharai. They aren't r15 yet, so ymmv, but I'm definitely taking the ranking posted a few pages ago with some serious salt. Talking such a wide margin I don't see the bonuses from r15 closing the gap at all, despite what the spreadsheets show.

Another day, another no spharai :(

Quote:
crit rate on cape.

As much as I like the idea of having a new build for this weapon. 10% Critical hit rate only translates into 5 STP overall. I'm pretty positive that something like DA or STP would be overall better but I'd really like to see some numbers that prove me wrong.

I guess I could mess with my TP calculator to include crits and Karambits effect.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2019-04-24 11:27:07  
It is a skill you everyone should really learn.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Darkdoom
By Lakshmi.Darkdoom 2019-04-24 11:37:25  

The dude thinks WAR is somehow a wet noodle and that DDs should never tank. Doesn't sound like we're even playing the same game, since DDs can tank pretty much everything up to Reisen helms. Not worth arguing with him. If he can't heal DDs tanking, he's just a terrible white mage, and that's all there is to it.

Quote:
crit rate on cape.

As much as I like the idea of having a new build for this weapon. 10% Critical hit rate only translates into 5 STP overall. I'm pretty positive that something like DA or STP would be overall better but I'd really like to see some numbers that prove me wrong.

I guess I could mess with my TP calculator to include crits and Karambits effect.

100% possible that DA or STP would be the better cape choice, I figured adding a little more to white damage and banking on Karamb's crit:Stp would be a little better overall, but it would definitely need to be properly tested. Probably very close regardless of choice of cape augment.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-04-24 11:37:26  

Fixed for accuracy.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-04-24 11:39:37  

Quote:
crit rate on cape.

Given all the DA, TA, KA you get from other gear, the loss of DA on back likely isnt as big an issue, especially given TA procs over DA, so DA is less effective than the 10% it shows.

Crit will also up white damage in general, and even if its not optimal with karambit, it should at least be pretty close depending on tp setup and what mob youre fighting, and its definitely plenty fun being able to use a non DA/STP back piece.
By SimonSes 2019-04-24 12:50:58  
Crit cape is actually best or equally good to da cape even for non Karambit, so its for sure best with Karambit. You guys seriously need to start looking at MNK differently than on other DDs (excluding Ukonvasara WAR, Shining One SAM and maybe Torcleaver DRK). You really overestimate WS frequency and underestimate white damage and what ws delay combined with WS scaling with TP (outside of Impetus) does to your dps. Thats a little generalization, but unless you self SC, you should WS at 1000TP only with vsmite during Impetus. Raging, TK are more effective at 2500 TP. Its something similar to how you play with Shining One on SAM.
 Fenrir.Richybear
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2019-04-24 13:17:23  
#freecherry
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 252 253 254 ... 363 364 365