Why Does Maintenence Affect British Players More Than Any Others

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Why does Maintenence affect british players more than any others
Why does Maintenence affect british players more than any others
First Page 2 3
 Kujata.Pirra
サーバ: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: pirra
By Kujata.Pirra 2009-05-14 07:23:41  
When are we gonna get a discount to subscription, due to SE's Lame arse time tabling of repairs?
 Bahamut.Alastair
サーバ: Bahamut
user: alastair
By Bahamut.Alastair 2009-05-14 07:42:53  
soso true-.-
 Garuda.Reublucian
サーバ: Garuda
By Garuda.Reublucian 2009-05-14 07:43:14  
Ello Arry
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-05-14 07:55:16  
Yep,it is always slap-bang in the middle of the entire EU prime time.

But yes it is very annoying, but SE wants their maintenance to not effect the Japanese players (which means it has to be in the JP night)

And they choice a time in the JP night to minimize the impact on the NAs as they don't want to annoy their second favourite player base.

So that leaves EU prime.

Just shows who SE cares about.
 Ramuh.Ragni
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Ragni
By Ramuh.Ragni 2009-05-14 07:55:47  
>.> for EU players its middle of day.... for JP ppl its middle of night.... hmmm D: same with tablets its onry reachable for japanese ew:|
 Odin.Dizzi
サーバ: Odin
user: DizziCS
By Odin.Dizzi 2009-05-14 08:00:36  
Pirra said:
Why does Maintenence affect british players more than any others

Because we are a minority.

But hey! We can camp NM when its over :)
 Odin.Vaulaude
By Odin.Vaulaude 2009-05-14 08:03:30  
Well its not just British player it all EU zone, but it comes down to numbers, JP prime time and NA prime time have more players so maintenance is done when the least amount of players are on, unlucky for us that is EU prime time. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending SE - jeez just look at the whole Kupa-ring ***... but on this matter I can understand, and in a way glad 'cause we have a world wide server so we can,.. if we choose too, interact with anyone and not just have a EU server or a Korean server etc, etc. It will always stick in my throat when I want to log on to get some FFXI and the all too telling white page comes up 'emergence maintenance all worlds...', but meh ***happens for 1 day or couple of hours I can live with it.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-14 08:04:11  
Ragni said:
>.> for EU players its middle of day.... for JP ppl its middle of night.... hmmm D: same with tablets its onry reachable for japanese ew:|

Again, as I stated in the "WORST EVENT EVER" thread, the tablets have not even reset ONCE yet. You don't know if they will recharge at the new conquest talley or one week after the last one was found. Don't jump to conclusions.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-05-14 08:14:30  
Would you like SE to give you a Credit for $0.08 for the 3hour maint you weren't able to play during?

btw 30 days of playtime costs $12.99, 24 hours X 30 days = 720 hours in a month, $12.99 / 720 comes to $0.02 (rounded up)

Also i'm sorry i don't know the calculation of $0.02 into pounds, but im sure its on the small side of the scale.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-05-14 08:22:36  
It's none done at midnight JST on purpose I doubt. I've ran smaller scale network backups and updates (yes it is small, under a few million connections is small) and it is always easier to have it run at exactly midnight.

They probably have 3-5 servers running per game server; 1-2 as main, 1-2 as main backup and some emergency restore servers. Have their backup software switch at exactly midnight is by far the easiest time. If you start doing it in the middle of the day, you will run into all sorts of time matching problems somewhere down the line.

As for maintenance being "at night for JP's"; yes thats logical also. You would want to run all your scheduled maintenance on any equipment when the majority of your server employees are not logged on and/or using any resources. i.e. when the majority of your employees are not at work.

Yes it sucks for EU's, I know first hand. I've lived in the UK for 3 years now working with the RAF. Nothing like coming home, bored/raining and "maintenance for the next 6 hours". But on the bright side, we get nero zero "update download" congestion errors here. US (and albet JP's) get them constantly.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-14 08:39:36  
Motokosun said:
Would you like SE to give you a Credit for $0.08 for the 3hour maint you weren't able to play during?

btw 30 days of playtime costs $12.99, 24 hours X 30 days = 720 hours in a month, $12.99 / 720 comes to $0.02 (rounded up)

Also i'm sorry i don't know the calculation of $0.02 into pounds, but im sure its on the small side of the scale.

Actually, we already pay more than American's to play the game. A basic account (1 char) that would cost $13, works out to cost closer to $15~16 for UK players.

So.. it would be nice to have the extra $2~3 a month refunded, if we're going to start about refunding things.

For an extra character, we also pay $0.06 more than US players, again.. it isn't a lot, but may as well include it if we're going down the cost route.

Bekisa said:
But on the bright side, we get nero zero "update download" congestion errors here. US (and albet JP's) get them constantly.

I also get a lot of congestion errors, and when I don't, even the smallest updates take at least 3~4 hours to complete after the servers have come up (not including the 1+ hours that I download the update before servers come up). I just put that down to having a bad connection half the time.
 Siren.Bungie
サーバ: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-05-14 09:09:49  
cry cry
 Unicorn.Motokosun
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-05-14 09:17:43  
Hitetsu said:
Motokosun said:

Actually, we already pay more than American's to play the game. A basic account (1 char) that would cost $13, works out to cost closer to $15~16 for UK players.

So.. it would be nice to have the extra $2~3 a month refunded, if we're going to start about refunding things.

For an extra character, we also pay $0.06 more than US players, again.. it isn't a lot, but may as well include it if we're going down the cost route.

Bekisa said:
But on the bright side, we get nero zero "update download" congestion errors here. US (and albet JP's) get them constantly.

I also get a lot of congestion errors, and when I don't, even the smallest updates take at least 3~4 hours to complete after the servers have come up (not including the 1+ hours that I download the update before servers come up). I just put that down to having a bad connection half the time.

I was not aware of the price difference. And it's becoming pretty clear that EU pulled the short stick. ><
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-14 09:28:31  
Even at 1 pound per day you're still only paying 4 quid? Or .04 pounds whatever that is per hour. So, a 2 hour maintenance is a whole .08. If they have say... 4 maintenance per month, that's an astounding .32 per month! zomg!
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-14 09:33:12  
.32!? That's a can of soda at the local supermarket! Their brand of course. SE give me soda!
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-14 09:38:02  
Bekisa said:
It's none done at midnight JST on purpose I doubt. I've ran smaller scale network backups and updates (yes it is small, under a few million connections is small) and it is always easier to have it run at exactly midnight.

They probably have 3-5 servers running per game server; 1-2 as main, 1-2 as main backup and some emergency restore servers. Have their backup software switch at exactly midnight is by far the easiest time. If you start doing it in the middle of the day, you will run into all sorts of time matching problems somewhere down the line.

As for maintenance being "at night for JP's"; yes thats logical also. You would want to run all your scheduled maintenance on any equipment when the majority of your server employees are not logged on and/or using any resources. i.e. when the majority of your employees are not at work.

Yes it sucks for EU's, I know first hand. I've lived in the UK for 3 years now working with the RAF. Nothing like coming home, bored/raining and "maintenance for the next 6 hours". But on the bright side, we get nero zero "update download" congestion errors here. US (and albet JP's) get them constantly.

That all seems to make perfect sense, but maintenance is usually around 2-3AM JP time isn't it? I know it's always quite a bit after I've gone to bed, which is never before ~10PM JP time.

Also, if you're paying in Euros or Pounds you'll be paying more than if you were paying in US dollars because the US economy sucks so hard right now, a year or so ago you were getting the better deal with Euros/Pounds. (Aussies used to get a choice as to which currency they wished to pay in, US dollars is no longer an option - assumedly because of the economy)
 Bismarck.Nours
サーバ: Bismarck
user:
By Bismarck.Nours 2009-05-14 09:47:07
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Euro users pay $17.5 each months.
$13.5 Token
$13.5 ACP
$1.3 a new content ID
$27 a server transfer.

They milk us more than everyone else.
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-05-14 09:49:18  
yea im sick of maintenance always on GMT times...
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-14 09:59:44  
And like I said... Even if you have 9 extra accounts and are paying $1 per day, you are still losing less than half a pound per month. So you drink water instead of a soft drink once per month, big deal.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-14 10:02:10  
I was paying for my friends account for a while at the start of this year since he'd "quit". He pays US dollars and has 3 mules, I pay in Euro's and have no mules.

12.95 Euros = 25.77 AUS
15.95 USD = 25.09 AUS

Because of the 3 mules on the USD account, they come out almost exactly the same, meaning US is in front by about 4-5 bucks.
 Asura.Celene
サーバ: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-05-14 10:04:06  
You can't please everyone. If it weren't EU, it could be someone else. Then what? I guess that would be okay for EU players because who cares about everyone else. As long as it's not during your time, right?

Not directly getting angry at EU players, just the ones who complain, it would be the same story if it cut into NA prime time. Sometimes it does, too.

Let's be honest, SE doesn't do *nearly* maint as much as they should. For the few times it goes down yearly, why complain? Step away from your PC and go enjoy the other side of life.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nours
サーバ: Bismarck
user:
By Bismarck.Nours 2009-05-14 10:05:37
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Point is that there was a maintenance yesterday and they could have fixed this ***at the same time.
 Kujata.Pirra
By Kujata.Pirra 2009-05-14 10:10:21  
Motokosun said:

Obviosly someone who doesnt work for a living, so you can choose what part of the day you play. unfortunately this falls into a section of time that is EU prime time = 2 days in a row that some players cant log on = 48 hours. Makes it a bit more significant.
 Fairy.Kelvinclein
By Fairy.Kelvinclein 2009-05-14 10:12:52  
They should do "EMERGENCY" maintenance on other times too.....
And wtf, emergency, but they can wait until next GMT17-19?? .. that's insulting.
 Kujata.Pirra
By Kujata.Pirra 2009-05-14 10:16:04  
Why cant they rota it occasionally is all we are asking for, im sure the JP and NA would accept the odd down period, theyve got away with having minimal, if not any down time in the entire history of this game.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-14 10:21:39  
Pirra said:
Why cant they rota it occasionally is all we are asking for, im sure the JP and NA would accept the odd down period, theyve got away with having minimal, if not any down time in the entire history of this game.

Sounds good to me =] We want compensation!!
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-14 10:29:27  
Nours said:
Euro users pay $17.5 each months.
$13.5 Token
$13.5 ACP
$1.3 a new content ID
$27 a server transfer.

They milk us more than everyone else.

This^

Because of the currency exchange rate we already pay more for the game, and yet they put the maint on EU prime time. annoying
 Odin.Dizzi
user: DizziCS
By Odin.Dizzi 2009-05-14 10:33:30  
Sure it sucks. But honesetly, me being SE, would exactily trace the same scheme.

Maintenances during JP or NA prime times, when the majority of users is online? Hehe, no thanks! - "more disappointed customers."

More disappointed customers? So what? Less profit because some might cancel SE services due to those reasons.

So how is SEs board of directors going to explain the deficit to its shareholders?

You know, NEVER mess with your shareholders, no you dont want to f*ck with them! Why? B/c pissed shareholders = this:

User submitted image
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-05-14 11:01:38  
Pirra said:
When are we gonna get a discount to subscription, due to SE's Lame arse time tabling of repairs?

I dont think they should give a discount for maint beeing done during EU time. But they should not make us pay more every month for the same service as JP/NA. EU players pay 4-5 USD more every month just to play the game, thats 48-60 USD every year. For what? When I started to play, we all paid in USD, after a few years they gave an option to either pay in USD or Euro, now we have to pay in euro. Also rotating the maint times would be nice, ever since the last big update its been alot of them going on, so called emergency maint, all of them in EU time.
 Asura.Slamm
サーバ: Asura
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-05-14 11:09:29  
lol europe just pays more for everything especially uk, we pay for most of the EU ***and get *** all back lol.

petrol prices are bad too but Holland and some other country's got it way worse than uk atm, i find it funny how u guys in the us *** about petrol prices when its so damn cheap there.
[+]
First Page 2 3