Received A GM Warning For A Retarded Reason.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Received a GM warning for a retarded reason.
Received a GM warning for a retarded reason.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-05-11 20:45:27  
Well I did ask a GM once if using a 3rd party tool to bypass PlayOnline hardware T&L check was fine or not, and I didn't get a warning or anything. Neither a good answer because that GM was stupid and didn't know wuts T&L was. If you don't know too, it's never too late : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%26L Some laptop -shitty- graphic card do not have hardware T&L support, so some tools can "lure" Playonline and make it believe that your graphic card support hardware T&L, therefore enabling you to play FF XI, otherwise PoL will just refuse to start the game.

The issue with such tools are the way they hook to PoL process, basically kinda like Windower, and they can enable the user to use "hacks" like wireframe mode etc...
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-11 20:45:51  
Artemicion said:
I think his mom dropped him down some stairs as an infant.

more like the doctor had to punt him outta his mom's vagina cz the rest of his body couldn't get through her gaping maw.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-11 20:55:53  
Antipika said:
Well I did ask a GM once if using a 3rd party tool to bypass PlayOnline hardware T&L check was fine or not, and I didn't get a warning or anything. Neither a good answer because that GM was stupid and didn't know wuts T&L was. If you don't know too, it's never too late : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%26L Some laptop -shitty- graphic card do not have hardware T&L support, so some tools can "lure" Playonline and make it believe that your graphic card support hardware T&L, therefore enabling you to play FF XI, otherwise PoL will just refuse to start the game.

The issue with such tools are the way they hook to PoL process, basically kinda like Windower, and they can enable the user to use "hacks" like wireframe mode etc...

Nice to know. Heres a tidbit most GMs dont play the game. Generally all they do is check to see if there is a rules violation or if your having a problem with the game check to see if there is something wrong on there end. Which means if something wrong did happen and theres no error over there ie might just be programmed wrong youll get the standard seems to be working answer.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-05-11 21:03:19  
Dasva said:

Nice to know. Heres a tidbit most GMs dont play the game. Generally all they do is check to see if there is a rules violation or if your having a problem with the game check to see if there is something wrong on there end. Which means if something wrong did happen and theres no error over there ie might just be programmed wrong youll get the standard seems to be working answer.

It's not even about playing the game, knowing whats T&L is ain't really directly related with FF XI :/ Just "common" knowledge for anyone who's supposed to provide customer support on a PC game. GM ain't dev, still. Oh yeah a 2nd GM didn't even heard about Linux, when I asked him if runing FF XI under Wine would be an EULA violation or not he was almost like "what ?? they are other Operating System than Windows and MacOS on Earth ???". Yeah for GM.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 00:25:27  
Antipika said:
Dasva said:

It's not even about playing the game, knowing whats T&L is ain't really directly related with FF XI :/ Just "common" knowledge for anyone who's supposed to provide customer support on a PC game. GM ain't dev, still. Oh yeah a 2nd GM didn't even heard about Linux, when I asked him if runing FF XI under Wine would be an EULA violation or not he was almost like "what ?? they are other Operating System than Windows and MacOS on Earth ???". Yeah for GM.

Gms arent for tech support period. There primarly there to handles rules violates and to get you out of begining suck on in game bugs. Thats why they always tell you to talk to the actually tech support and submit problems on the site.
 Siren.Diogenes
サーバ: Siren
user: zerohoax
By Siren.Diogenes 2009-05-12 01:50:57  
@ Ramuh.Dasva

Too many posts for me to even have to attempt to try and reply to manually.

My main point is that using Windower, and robbing a house are not comparable. The second point was the GM only needed to answer that generally and not expand it into an accusation as well as a threat.

Is it more understandable now? It's like you didn't comprehend a thing I said.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 02:04:37  
Diogenes said:
@ Ramuh.Dasva

Too many posts for me to even have to attempt to try and reply to manually.

My main point is that using Windower, and robbing a house are not comparable. The second point was the GM only needed to answer that generally and not expand it into an accusation as well as a threat.

Is it more understandable now? It's like you didn't comprehend a thing I said.

Nope its like you didn't understand. It's an analogy that's all. And to a GM or realy the rules of the game they are of similar severity. Yes you can be banned for using the game to commit illegal acts lol. It has nothing to do with what the GM couldve/woulda/shoulda do from your point of view. Seeing as you clearly didnt read it the otehr 2 times i posted it maybe I should repost the rules about this subject for you? Or ill give the short this person couldve been banned just for his assocation with his friend using the 3rd pt software especially since he admittly knows about it. Oh and windower helps open the way to other 3rd software like bots. And the whole point of those others is the unfair advantage given. Which directly or indirectly robs people in game so yeah they are kinda comparable. Point is you ask someone to break the rules your dumb. And the whole my "friend" thing is the oldest trick in the book to not commit to asking for yourself when you know you probably shouldn't. That good enough for you I dare you to ask a GM if your "friend" can buy gil cause hes poor. See how that works out for you.
 Remora.Narrubia
サーバ: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-05-12 02:06:43  
Dasva said:
There primarly there to handles rules violates and to get you out of begining suck on in game bugs.

While unrelated to the subject, I am forced to note that this sentence contains some of the worst grammar I have ever seen.
 Asura.Wtbfood
サーバ: Asura
user: wtbfood
By Asura.Wtbfood 2009-05-12 02:10:59  
Narrubia said:
Dasva said:
There primarly there to handles rules violates and to get you out of begining suck on in game bugs.

While unrelated to the subject, I am forced to note that this sentence contains some of the worst grammar I have ever seen.

You haven't been on the internet for long huh? Or read one of Filielle's posts for that matter.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-12 02:12:18
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Narrubia said:
Dasva said:

ive seen worse bud

btw

Nazi grammar school is that way >>>>>>>>>>
 Siren.Diogenes
By Siren.Diogenes 2009-05-12 02:12:24  
I know it was an analogy, my point which you can't seem to grasp is that it's a *** piss-poor one.

If anything asking about windower is tantamount to asking about jaywalking fines and/or some sort of traffic issue.

I know FFXI is serious business to you, but try to look at it from a normal persons perspective.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-12 02:12:56

I suppose this depends on the severity of the subject matter. Since everyone is using the comparison (despite how irrelevant and stupid it is) of telling a police officer if it was alright if a "friend" were to commit "x" crime for "y" reason, under "z" circumstance.

In most cases the answer no can be given and no further action would be necessary, however depending on the nature and severity/threat level of the question can prompt further action.

I suppose in this unfortunate case, this GM got on his high horse and felt you were up to no good to commit one of the highest policy violations in the game: using unofficial third party tools.

Yeah it was *** up and probably unnecessary, but his actions nevertheless were indeed justified.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 02:16:40  
Diogenes said:
I know it was an analogy, my point which you can't seem to grasp is that it's a *** piss-poor one.

If anything asking about windower is tantamount to asking about jaywalking fines and/or some sort of traffic issue.

I know FFXI is serious business to you, but try to look at it from a normal persons perspective.

1. I dont give a *** about people using windower but as far as this game is concerned using 3rd pt software is the worse thing you can do. So I guess a better analogy wouldve been murder.

2. For those of you who failed to read it the first time
SEI shall reserve the right in its sole discretion to revoke or suspend your PlayOnline user account and your ability to use PlayOnline at any time without prior notice to you, particularly but not limited to if SEI should determine (in its sole discretion) or should reasonably believe that you are responsible for, or have participated in, any of the following (collectively, "Prohibited Activities"):

(i) Use of any cheat codes or cheat devices; or

(j) Violating any Rule.
In addition, SEI shall be entitled to terminate the account (immediately and without notice) of any User who (1) was previously suspended or terminated by SEI and who SEI believes (in SEI's sole discretion) re-registered using different information in order to avoid such suspension or termination or (2) SEI believes (in its sole discretion), based on the User or other account information provided by such User now or at any time in the past (including, but not limited to, such User's name, date of birth, telephone number, mailing address, e-mail address, and credit card account information), that such User is related to or assisting one or more Users who are responsible for, or have participated in, Prohibited Activities of any kind. You agree to indemnify and hold SEI harmless from and against any losses or damages sustained by SEI as a result of your engaging in any Prohibited Activities, and you further agree to reimburse SEI for any and all expenses incurred by SEI in remedying the effects of such action.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-12 02:18:57

Artemicion said:
I suppose this depends on the severity of the subject matter. Since everyone is using the comparison (despite how irrelevant and stupid it is) of telling a police officer if it was alright if a "friend" were to commit "x" crime for "y" reason.

In most cases the answer no can be given and no further action would be necessary, however depending on the nature and severity/threat level of the question can prompt further action.

I suppose in this unfortunate case, this GM got on his high horse and felt you were up to no good to commit one of the highest policy violations in the game: using unofficial third party tools.

Yeah it was *** up and probably unnecessary, but his actions nevertheless were indeed justified.

The remedy to Ignorance is to ask. If I was a Senior GM i'd reverse the warning and have a talk with that GM. IMHO that GM was having a bad day and passed his anger down to this poor guy
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-05-12 02:23:20

Well, the real downside to this whole story is SE pretty much reserves the right to do whatever they want to you anytime they want for any (or no) reason at all. Our rights are limited, but as long as you keep your nose clean you shouldn't worry about this one "mark" you've gotten.

If you have a knack for getting into trouble with GMs, see if you can contact a SGM to have this matter further looked into and see if it's possible to revoke this case of false conviction, if you can sell your ignorance as sincere. But in all honesty I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
 Remora.Narrubia
サーバ: Remora
user: Narrubia
By Remora.Narrubia 2009-05-12 02:27:38  
Dasva said:
1. I dont give a *** about people using windower but as far as this game is concerned using 3rd pt software is the worse thing you can do. So I guess a better analogy wouldve been murder.

Actually I've always been under the impression that real-money trade is the worst thing you can do. Plus, the scale by which SE penalizes rule violations doesn't follow the same pattern as the scale the legal system uses, if you can understand my shitty articulation.

But I don't think the severity of the analogy is really an issue here, as the idea still gets across that asking a question like the one asked by the OP is a bad idea, and the GM at least had some reasonable suspicion that the player was violating the Terms of Service.

Thunderz said:
Nazi grammar school is that way >>>>>>>>>>

Nope, it's right here. *Posts a sign*

And no, that's not really the worst grammar I've seen, but it stuck out due to the apparent lack of silliness or laziness involved. It's honest-to-goodness bad grammar, not someone who's simply too lazy to type out "you".
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 02:36:54  
Diogenes said:

I wished I'd taken a screenshot of it I brought up the situation of asking GM about windower giving same details you did to my ls. You know what every last one of them did? Yeah they laugh and said things like HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and stupid. Then when I told them some people were actually getting all bent out of shape about it and posting on forums about it I got comments like "ZOMG what a troll" and "haha only on BG are people that dumb" and yep most of them even thought the same thing the GM thought that the friend was just another way of saying you. But of course I'm certain all of theses are people that think this game is "serious business." (Btw none of them are in fact a couple of them jokely told me get my fishing bot out for that stupid fishing assault last night)
 Siren.Diogenes
By Siren.Diogenes 2009-05-12 03:19:07  
I can see this is going nowhere, so I'll say this one last time.

Just because you can be banned for use of 3rd party tools, doesn't mean your analogy fits. 3rd party tools is a broad range of programs, the least of their issues being with windower.

If you want to use murder or robbing peoples houses, do you think that 80-90% of our population feels it's ok to do both of those? Because in-game that's about the percentage of people that use windower.

I understand what you're attempting to say, but really it's not a good analogy.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-12 03:31:49  
Diogenes said:
I can see this is going nowhere, so I'll say this one last time.

Just because you can be banned for use of 3rd party tools, doesn't mean your analogy fits. 3rd party tools is a broad range of programs, the least of their issues being with windower.

If you want to use murder or robbing peoples houses, do you think that 80-90% of our population feels it's ok to do both of those? Because in-game that's about the percentage of people that use windower.

I understand what you're attempting to say, but really it's not a good analogy.

*** the analogy then. It was just to make a point gdi and instead of taking the point your picking apart the analogy so ill do it again

"SEI shall reserve the right in its sole discretion to revoke or suspend your PlayOnline user account and your ability to use PlayOnline at any time without prior notice to you, particularly but not limited to if SEI should determine (in its sole discretion) or should reasonably believe that you are responsible for, or have participated in, any of the following (collectively, "Prohibited Activities"):

(i) Use of any cheat codes or cheat devices; or

(j) Violating any Rule.
In addition, SEI shall be entitled to terminate the account (immediately and without notice) of any User who (1) was previously suspended or terminated by SEI and who SEI believes (in SEI's sole discretion) re-registered using different information in order to avoid such suspension or termination or (2) SEI believes (in its sole discretion), based on the User or other account information provided by such User now or at any time in the past (including, but not limited to, such User's name, date of birth, telephone number, mailing address, e-mail address, and credit card account information), that such User is related to or assisting one or more Users who are responsible for, or have participated in, Prohibited Activities of any kind. You agree to indemnify and hold SEI harmless from and against any losses or damages sustained by SEI as a result of your engaging in any Prohibited Activities, and you further agree to reimburse SEI for any and all expenses incurred by SEI in remedying the effects of such action."
 Valefor.Quickmart
サーバ: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Quickmart 2009-05-13 12:16:27  
GM Baccanale has a serious hate for windower users and trouble understanding ascii codes..

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/ASCII_Alt_Codes_Guide

Someone got yanked from party into GM jail for using alt+0153 which makes the trademark symbol. No windower involved no 3rd party tools but GM says its caused by "using illegal 3rd party windower programs".

This guy goes out of his way to look for anything in the chatlog that he thinks is windower related, then threatens to ban you.

I've seen GM's mention that screenshots on my website being in png format warning me as well and its not like you can't convert graphic formats nor are they officially allowed to use such things against me. So thats just not appropriate to even bring up in the middle of a GM call.. So I think certain GM's are over stepping their bounds on a personal anti-windower crusade here.

It's going to be the ultimate expression of this games bullsh*t if I or my friends get banned for using alt+numberpad when I don't even use windower stuffs let alone any 3rd party tools. So far 3 of my friends have been warned just from using ( ™ )
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-13 12:22:02  
Despite me being wild, arrogant, insane ***, no one has ever called a GM to complain about me... or I think they don't.

Why would GMs not play FFXI, isn't that their job, to police a game that they understand?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-05-13 19:22:59  
Thread closed at request of original poster.
[+]