users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » What do you do when you aren't on FFXI
What do you do when you aren't on FFXI
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-07 03:50:34  
I sometimes wonder what people do when they log off. I used to work as a phlebotomist (guy that draws your blood), but I am now a full time student.

I also am curious how people share a decidedly nerdy hobby with the general population. For instance talking about the latest ball game is viewed as more social acceptable than talking about your latest in game achievement.

Furthermore, with a general increase in the number of people using video games as a source of entertainment, do you ever see a day where video games in general don't carry the negative connotations that they currently do?
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-07 03:54:06  
I plan my holocaust for 12/12/2012

See that other thread for more details....
 Cerberus.Maryanne
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Maryanne
By Cerberus.Maryanne 2009-05-07 03:56:57  
I'm a student as well. I live with my boyfriend, who's also an FFer.
I guess I do more or less the same as everyone else when I'm not on FFXI. Love to cook, though.

Anyway, that reminds me of last Christmas, I was at my fam's for a gathering. I more or less dislike these people whole heartedly. Somehow, I'm not exactly sure how, we ended up talking about WoW, and that lead into me bringing up FFXI. Turned out my cousin's girlfriend is a 75 SMN on another server. Go figure. The rest of them were looking at us like we were insane.

I think it's becoming more acceptable as a means of socialization. FF is, in a lot of ways, like high school.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-07 03:59:14  
I procrastinate on these forums avoiding my homework...
 Cerberus.Arteus
user: Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 04:00:53  
go out with friends, gym, watch tv, play sports usual stuff oh and sleep i love to sleep
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-05-07 04:02:36  
Sports fan and basketball fanatic... It balances things out... too much stress from in-game bs makes me want to /logout and do something else.
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 04:05:56  
Malekith said:
Sports fan and basketball fanatic... It balances things out... too much stress from in-game bs makes me want to /logout and do something else.

yeah, i know what u mean lol im in england so its football/soccer here :3
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-07 04:25:14  
When not on ffxi... I dont understand
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 04:26:26  
Dasva said:
When not on ffxi... I dont understand

what is this "outside", east ronfaure?!?!?
 Cerberus.Aoshi
By Cerberus.Aoshi 2009-05-07 04:33:24  
<- Said BF Maryanne mentioned, as to what i do off FF well I'm a freelance animator / student so i have plenty of time on my hands when work isn't in, usually spent downing gallons of coffee and brainstorming / working on projects that aren't for other people.

As for how games are viewed in the social environment i guess i have a biased view considering most of the people i work and go to school with are in the industry so it's obviously always part of the conversation.

Video games today have hit more of a mainstream market in general and aren't as much viewed as a "nerdy" hobby as they used to be (heck I've seen some of the jockiest guys jump on DDR before some of the "nerdy gamer geeks") thanks to the media, events like E3 are covered nationally on their own MTV-esque channel. and with things like "The Xbox live experience", "The PSN network", and "The nintendo Wi-Fi connection" the social aspects of gaming are much diffrent than they used to be.
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 04:38:34  
i talk to my friends on xbox while playing ffxi, better than msn lol and as for the nerd ***i think thats just bs, 9/10 people play video games so.... >.>
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-07 04:44:42  
Aoshi said:
<- Said BF Maryanne mentioned, as to what i do off FF well I'm a freelance animator / student so i have plenty of time on my hands when work isn't in, usually spent downing gallons of coffee and brainstorming / working on projects that aren't for other people.

As for how games are viewed in the social environment i guess i have a biased view considering most of the people i work and go to school with are in the industry so it's obviously always part of the conversation.

Video games today have hit more of a mainstream market in general and aren't as much viewed as a "nerdy" hobby as they used to be (heck I've seen some of the jockiest guys jump on DDR before some of the "nerdy gamer geeks") thanks to the media, events like E3 are covered nationally on their own MTV-esque channel. and with things like "The Xbox live experience", "The PSN network", and "The nintendo Wi-Fi connection" the social aspects of gaming are much diffrent than they used to be.

While I agree that gaming is more mainstream these days, I wouldn't go so far to say that it is as accepted as some of the other hobbies people engage in. I know I still get the strange look whenever I talk in depth about an MMO.

There may be people that enjoy casual gaming, like sports games, fighting games, or games such as DDR, but mmorpg's are still looked at as antisocial nerdy behaviors. Look at how WoW was handled in South Park. It depicted the main characters as normal until they started playing WoW heavily -- they then slowly degraded until they were massively over weight, getting carpal tunnel syndrome, and having their mom's hold a crap bucket so they could play without having to use a toilet.

One could argue that it was a commentary on people that get addicted to mmo's, but the image it gives those type of games still stick with people.
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 04:46:51  
Blindphleb said:
Aoshi said:

While I agree that gaming is more mainstream these days, I wouldn't go so far to say that it is as accepted as some of the other hobbies people engage in. I know I still get the strange look whenever I talk in depth about an MMO.

There may be people that enjoy casual gaming, like sports games, fighting games, or games such as DDR, but mmorpg's are still looked at as antisocial nerdy behaviors. Look at how WoW was handled in South Park. It depicted the main characters as normal until they started playing WoW heavily -- they then slowly degraded until they were massively over weight, getting carpal tunnel syndrome, and having their mom's hold a crap bucket so they could play without having to use a toilet.

One could argue that it was a commentary on people that get addicted to mmo's, but the image it gives those type of games still stick with people.

south park-make love not warcraft
 Cerberus.Aoshi
By Cerberus.Aoshi 2009-05-07 04:49:50  
Yeah you have a point there but at the same time look at the number of people and the types of people that still play WoW even after that episode was aired, Alot of people i know that play MMO's dont fit the description people tend to associate with them, given more time and more MMOs circulating in the market that image will start to fade away.
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 04:50:55  
theres quite a few around already, not a big fan of mmos tho, when ffxi ends im done with em lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-07 05:05:11  
Arteus said:
theres quite a few around already, not a big fan of mmos tho, when ffxi ends im done with em lol

Thats only cause when ffxi is done Korpg is ending the world...
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 05:06:26  
lolol
 Garuda.Amara
サーバ: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-05-07 05:18:07  
If I'm not ingame, I'm either at work or asleep... I save money by not spending it on going out lol...

Plus most of my RL friends are away at school, so they aren't around often. :(

Video games are becoming more popular, but MMOs are still considered "Nerdy" and I'm apparently anti-social because I play a MMO... not anti-social, just haven't met many people I actually like to talk to alot... including my family.
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 05:22:10  
Amara said:
If I'm not ingame, I'm either at work or asleep... I save money by not spending it on going out lol...

Video games are becoming more popular, but MMOs are still considered "Nerdy" and I'm apparently anti-social because I play a MMO... not anti-social, just haven't met many people I actually like to talk to alot... including my family.

thats what my mom says lol i dont get on too well with most of my family and whenever theres a family party and i dont go she says that, it usually cz i have plans with friends or just cant be arsed
 Fairy.Seraphita
サーバ: Fairy
user: rogueking
By Fairy.Seraphita 2009-05-07 05:25:44  
Boozin' when not FFin':)
 Cerberus.Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-05-07 05:31:55  
Seraphita said:
Boozin' when not FFin':)

i think i have a drink problem atm so goin cold turkey, the OJ really hits me
 Phoenix.Xensai
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Domai
By Phoenix.Xensai 2009-05-07 06:00:37  
lol i work Late Hours so i Work > Sleep > FFXI... if only FFXI was free id love to cut @ least 1 of those things out can anyone guess which lol
 Valefor.Ghuda
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-05-07 06:27:04  
I work in investment banking.

So i either drink alot or think about drinking alot.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-07 06:28:35  
Oh yeah, I laugh at 3rd world countries

Like Italy

And Australia.

And Peru
 Valefor.Ghuda
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-05-07 06:38:38  
Bait too small korpg.

/fish elsewhere
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-05-07 06:40:16  
I was hoping from somebody besides Australia to respond.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-07 06:41:16  
What's with all the drinkers, I didn't think FFXI was that bad lol
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-05-07 06:44:03  
I'll bite :D

It'll be a helluva lot funnier when America actually is a 2nd world country :D
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-05-07 07:04:49  
I can't wait till that happens, then we can stop being blamed for everything.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-05-07 07:20:03  
Amara said:

^This XD

Cept mine are in class/work =P
First Page 2 3 4 5