フォーラム » FFXI » General » one way to deal with in-game RMT spam
one way to deal with in-game RMT spam
First Page 2 3
 Kujata.Vaprak
サーバ: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Vaprak
By Kujata.Vaprak 2009-03-28 12:33:06  
A while back there used to be a website devoted to DDOSing 419 scam and phishing websites. Basically their main web page continuously reloaded images from the target scammer websites, so if enough people kept a browser open on the DDOS site, they effectively jammed the scammer's bandwidth, hopefully exceeding their bandwidth quota. Considering the non-cooperation of the legal authorities in relevant jurisdictions, I wonder if a similar distributed DOS effort would be more effective than SE has been in combatting RMT gil shops and their in-game spam.
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 12:34:37  
Yeah! Lets Hack the Hackers/botters.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-28 12:43:26  
The RMT sites don't use the same connection for internet activity (browsing, gaming, etc) that they do to host their site's servers. No big company does; so whilst it would be self pleasing, this wouldn't do anything to stop the RMT tells.
 Fenrir.Omnitank
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Omnitank
By Fenrir.Omnitank 2009-03-28 12:48:38  
We can /sh louder than them.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-03-28 12:56:40  
Wooooodum said:
The RMT sites don't use the same connection for internet activity (browsing, gaming, etc) that they do to host their site's servers. No big company does; so whilst it would be self pleasing, this wouldn't do anything to stop the RMT tells.
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-28 13:17:01
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Well the way I deal with in-game RMT spam is I ignore it? And for some reason I really don't get a lot of spam, like people tell me horror stories about them getting spammed everyday. So like how exactly does it work, are the /tells randomized? I get a tell every once in a while.
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-28 13:20:44

I'm pretty sure they run some sort of script that automates to individuals in an alphabetical order.
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-28 13:22:24  
Artemicion said:
I'm pretty sure they run some sort of script that automates to individuals in an alphabetical order.

Ya, it's gotta be...two friends of mine with "A" names get them all the time, and I've yet to get one on my main.
 Pandemonium.Rida
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Yoichi
By Pandemonium.Rida 2009-03-28 13:27:05  
Only way to stop them is for SE to stop giving out 2 week free trials. Cos thats how they are getting so many accounts. Free account >> 10 min tells >> Ban >> Free Account >> and so on.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-28 13:31:51

It's irritating but I see all this with a silver lining. To get to the point where they have to send tells to advertise their sites, they must be extremely desperate in this piss poor attempt to revive their business. Buying gil doesn't make much sense anymore with our current deflated market, and I'm hoping it will eventually collapse upon itself like house made of cards.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 13:40:22  
Artemicion said:
It's irritating but I see all this with a silver lining. To get to the point where they have to send tells to advertise their sites, they must be extremely desperate in this piss poor attempt to revive their business. Buying gil doesn't make much sense anymore with our current deflated market, and I'm hoping it will eventually collapse upon itself like house made of cards.

Or maybe they finnaly thought "hmm...wouldn't it be cheaper to just send /tells in game instead of buying advertising space?" ... "Holy crap it's so simple but so great!"
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-28 13:41:16  
Couldn't S-E just put in filters that block tells with certain words in them for all accounts 2 weeks old and younger? I mean, I would hate to see the trial get eliminated 'cause these asshats ruin it, but something that just blocks all /tells with "brogames" in it, or "www." or ".com", or "gil". I know RMT would get crafty, but with each report of RMT, they could check the log quick, and add the new word to the list (like if they started doing "b rogames" or "w w w" or whatever)...

Or they could just have GMs get inundated with calls all day, every day. Whatever they wanna do lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-28 13:46:51

Ludoggy said:
Artemicion said:

Or maybe they finnaly thought "hmm...wouldn't it be cheaper to just send /tells in game instead of buying advertising space?" ... "Holy crap it's so simple but so great!"

Maybe, but just looking at their prices make me laugh. Their line of business is slowly going downhill especially in today's time of recession. I for one truly think it's slowly but surely coming to a not necessarily complete end but to a point where they play a role so insignificant they have little to no power or influence on gameplay or the game's economy/market.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 18:20:19  
I send them /ts back, what I say in those tells I won't share with you (rated M).

Spaming /ts make their bots slower, so I at least get revenge if I keep spaming the same /t over and over again....
 Bahamut.Evilswine
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2009-03-28 18:32:12  
one big advantage of a closed server: no RMT-tells^^
 Caitsith.Pipsqueek
サーバ: Caitsith
user: chrispy
By Caitsith.Pipsqueek 2009-03-28 19:18:31  
I deal with the RMT tells simply by making myself <Away>. Of course, you won't get tells from u'r friends or ls members, but they can contact you by msg and /l respectively.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-28 19:20:48  
Evilswine said:
one big advantage of a closed server: no RMT-tells^^

I think I'd rather RMT tells than having 5000+ people on Garuda :3
 Bahamut.Dracondria
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-03-28 19:24:57  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Couldn't S-E just put in filters that block tells with certain words in them for all accounts 2 weeks old and younger? I mean, I would hate to see the trial get eliminated 'cause these asshats ruin it, but something that just blocks all /tells with "brogames" in it, or "www." or ".com", or "gil". I know RMT would get crafty, but with each report of RMT, they could check the log quick, and add the new word to the list (like if they started doing "b rogames" or "w w w" or whatever)...

Or they could just have GMs get inundated with calls all day, every day. Whatever they wanna do lol

That wouldn't work since jps use "www" and some words can mean something entirely different in another language.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 19:39:29  
They could keep the number of people you send /ts per minute down to 2....that would at least keep the RMTs from sending too many /ts all at once.

Then again, they would just make more mules, so you could keep the number of accounts per IP address made down to 1 per day, that would keep them from making mules alot.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-28 19:45:56  
That would seriously hamper proper players though.
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
サーバ: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-03-28 20:02:16  
why dont we have a optional filter how ever we want
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 20:02:32  
If you send more than 3 /ts per minute at all times, it might. But usually people don't send more than 2 per minute unless they are starting a party.

Ok then, make it up to 6 people per minute.

Shouldn't hamper people then.
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-03-28 20:04:25  
Korpg said:
If you send more than 3 /ts per minute at all times, it might. But usually people don't send more than 2 per minute unless they are starting a party.

heck no i send tells like that in a conversation sometimes

ninja edit: starting a party what the odds u only need 6 .. ha your lucky to only need 12 that's if you get all 5 people right off the bat
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 20:13:21  
per PERSON, not per /t

That way, you can have your conversation, as long as its with the same person.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 20:13:59  
Korpg said:
per PERSON, not per /t

That way, you can have your conversation, as long as its with the same person.

Now they are going to just spam one person.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-28 20:14:19  
Korpg said:

Stupid idea, RMT will just use more account. If their bot could achieve let's say 30 /tell per minute before, they'll simply use 5 bots instead, doing exactly 6 tells per minute.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 20:15:44  
Korpg said:
They could keep the number of people you send /ts per minute down to 2....that would at least keep the RMTs from sending too many /ts all at once.

Then again, they would just make more mules, so you could keep the number of accounts per IP address made down to 1 per day, that would keep them from making mules alot.
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-28 20:18:17  
Korpg said:
Korpg said:

Anything related to IP is *** once again... Ever heard of proxy ? Ever heard of dynamic IP ? *** IP i can change mine every 5 seconds, yeah 5 seconds. So RMT does.

Now here's a good idea : Charge first month $12. If player don't get banned until the end of the trial, refund these $12 (refund if the player cancel its membership, or keep the $12 for the 2nd month if he don't). Otherwise (if banned), no refund.

Legit player = still free trial (you get charged but then refunded)
RMT = waste $12

And I don't think they can afford losing $12/banned mule everyday. Also free money for SE.
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-03-28 20:18:36  
ya quote your self that's how many times do you actually make a party with only one tell per person to make a party

edit for afterthought if your looking for last pt member and you need a tank or looking for a DD or something you only want to ask 3 people per min ... or you are looking for a tele you want to limit your self to a few people to ask after shouting for like 5 or so minuts
First Page 2 3