users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » one way to deal with in-game RMT spam
one way to deal with in-game RMT spam
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-28 20:42:28  
Ok then, what are your ideas, instead of bashing me?
 Titan.Nightweaver
サーバ: Titan
By Titan.Nightweaver 2009-03-28 21:01:45  
Blacklist. Every single one of them. If you run out of space, delete the oldest ones and keep adding.
 Titan.Exhile
サーバ: Titan
user: Clax
By Titan.Exhile 2009-03-28 21:06:09  
OR WE COULD ORGANIZE EVERYONE TO /TELL THE RMT GUY AT ONCE
THAT WOULD TOTALLY KILL THE GAME
.... or you can just suck it up and move on with life.

If you don't have the patience to deal with a /tell every once in a while you probably don't have the patience to be playing this game...

just a thought
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-03-28 21:09:09  
actually im told that you can filter out all converstions with certains like say www or ""s in them with windower filters
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-28 21:12:40  
Dasva said:
actually im told that you can filter out all converstions with certains like say www or ""s in them with windower filters

They'll use w-w-w or \/\/ \/\/ \/\/....

Stop looking for an in-game solution. The only way is hurting RMT wallet, so either do as i suggested, charging then refunding if no ban. Or purely and simply remove the free trial forcing everyone to pay even 1st month (or pay the cd-key w/e).
 Ramuh.Konoko
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-03-28 21:13:47  
Aikar's ChatMon.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-28 21:23:48  
Antipika said:
Dasva said:

They'll use w-w-w or \/\/ \/\/ \/\/....

Stop looking for an in-game solution. The only way is hurting RMT wallet, so either do as i suggested, charging then refunding if no ban. Or purely and simply remove the free trial forcing everyone to pay even 1st month (or pay the cd-key w/e).

These are both bad ideas imo, the free trial is there to bring new people to the game without fuss, so that the game can stay alive longer. Charging them $12 and refunding introduces a massive pain in the *** to the free trial process, and less people will do it. On the other hand, RMT will pay the $12, send a bunch of /tells, delete their account, get their $12 back and repeat.
Making people set up their payment details before being able to use their free trial is one possible solution, however it still adds extra fuss to legit players who just want to try it out without commitment. If that wasn't an issue (although I think it is) they could set up some mobile phone type small print BS that states that if you get banned you will be charged $30 or something.
 Garuda.Mochaccino
By Garuda.Mochaccino 2009-03-28 21:24:13  
just a thought, why doesnt SE make undercover GMs or something, that way if the GM gets hit with a tell that has advertisements he/she can ban the person right there on the spot..
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-28 21:31:34  
Blazza said:

These are both bad ideas imo, the free trial is there to bring new people to the game without fuss, so that the game can stay alive longer. Charging them $12 and refunding introduces a massive pain in the *** to the free trial process, and less people will do it. On the other hand, RMT will pay the $12, send a bunch of /tells, delete their account, get their $12 back and repeat.

RMT will pay $12 ? lol ? That's ***, notice how RMT never spammed before and started doing it since we have free trial ? Why is that ? Maybe cause $12 for couple of hours (or even less) of /shout is too much for them.

As for the pain in the ***, you gotta choose, either it's new players, either it'll be you and your /tell. I don't think free trial is bringing a lot of new players anyway. This game is way too old, been translated in french/german too late, no advertising is made (at least in Europe). Also annoying to pay it since you need to have a credit card.

No miracle solution exists, you cannot avoid RMT spam and leaving this game fully accessible by anyone with free trial.
 Ramuh.Konoko
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-03-28 21:40:11  
Mochaccino said:
just a thought, why doesnt SE make undercover GMs or something, that way if the GM gets hit with a tell that has advertisements he/she can ban the person right there on the spot..

Bad idea.
 Garuda.Mochaccino
By Garuda.Mochaccino 2009-03-28 21:43:24  
Why's that a bad idea?

edit: I did play a game that had that same idea, didn't see any problems with it at all, was just people hand picked from the gaming company that never made any problems in the game.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-28 21:48:39
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

I like to rejoice to friends about the sweet new 50% off deal I got with the promo-code.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-28 21:56:47  
Antipika said:
Blazza said:

RMT will pay $12 ? lol ? That's ***, notice how RMT never spammed before and started doing it since we have free trial ? Why is that ? Maybe cause $12 for couple of hours (or even less) of /shout is too much for them.

As for the pain in the ***, you gotta choose, either it's new players, either it'll be you and your /tell. I don't think free trial is bringing a lot of new players anyway. This game is way too old, been translated in french/german too late, no advertising is made (at least in Europe). Also annoying to pay it since you need to have a credit card.

No miracle solution exists, you cannot avoid RMT spam and leaving this game fully accessible by anyone with free trial.

Well you were the one that suggested paying $12 and having it refunded if you cancel your account, I think RMT would happily pay $12 if they knew they were going to get it back.

Otherwise I'd rather keep the free trial and just put up with the /tells, just because you don't know anybody that started playing on the free trial doesn't mean it's not being used. People do quit playing this game fairly often (a LOT of people quit before they hit 75, so you don't notice it quite so much) so we need new players to fill the holes.

But meh, Odin has been full for months, I haven't seen an RMT /tell in a long time.

Mochaccino said:
Konoko said:
Mochaccino said:

Bad idea.

why's that a bad idea?

Because where does it end? If you let people that play the game become GM's, or let GM's play the game (I'd assume that GM's can't moderate the same server they play on if they play the game), what's stopping them from being overly harsh with their judgements on people they don't like, or are competing with, etc. Sure, you say they're only allowed to ban RMT /tells, but as Elk will tell you from another thread, even legit players can be accused of being RMT with valid reasons simply from not knowing any better about what shouldn't be said aloud. Giving anyone the ability to ban on the spot is too much power.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-28 22:07:16  
Blazza said:

Well you were the one that suggested paying $12 and having it refunded if you cancel your account, I think RMT would happily pay $12 if they knew they were going to get it back.

I said people who don't get banned during their first month can get their $12 back. A RMT will get banned after a couple of days. (if not hours). Meaning RMT will have to pay. That's the best compromise.

Quote:
Otherwise I'd rather keep the free trial and just put up with the /tells, just because you don't know anybody that started playing on the free trial doesn't mean it's not being used. People do quit playing this game fairly often (a LOT of people quit before they hit 75, so you don't notice it quite so much) so we need new players to fill the holes.

So SE better adopt a better marketing strategy this means :

-Advertising
-Pre-Paid card
-More translation / support for the non-NA/JP world.
-More user friendly PC version... I've seen people discouraged of playing just because downloading free trial, installing and updating PoL is a pain.

Also if I were a new player and get spammed on a daily basis by RMT I would stop playing right away.
 Garuda.Mochaccino
By Garuda.Mochaccino 2009-03-28 22:16:23  
Something else you could do is have the ability to record what is said on your log and then have it sent to SE, like if an ad is said on the log by a spam tell, you could have a GM look at it and if they keep getting that same thing recorded from other players then its seen as a rmt and then they can ban the person, hopeing that SE can do it quickly enough before the account is deleted..just a suggestion
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-28 22:18:09  
Antipika said:
-More user friendly PC version... I've seen people discouraged of playing just because downloading free trial, installing and updating PoL is a pain.
It's a 7 year old game (or something), there's really no way around this.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-03-28 22:19:52  
Mochaccino said:
Something else you could do is have the ability to record what is said on your log and then have it sent to SE, like if an ad is said on the log by a spam tell, you could have a GM look at it and if they keep getting that same thing recorded from other players then its seen as a rmt and then they can ban the person, hopeing that SE can do it quickly enough before the account is deleted..just a suggestion

SE already record logs and is able to access it :p That's why if you report a RMT, GM can ban it right away.

Blazza said:
Antipika said:
It's a 7 year old game (or something), there's really no way around this.

How old is Half Life 1 ? How updated is Steam ? I'm not talking about -inside- FF XI itself, but everything around FF XI.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-28 22:20:43

Installation sucks just as much balls as the 360. I'm sure PS2/3 suffer just as bad. Not much one can do with so much content.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-03-28 23:33:32  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Artemicion said:
I'm pretty sure they run some sort of script that automates to individuals in an alphabetical order.

Ya, it's gotta be...two friends of mine with "A" names get them all the time, and I've yet to get one on my main.

I think it may be b.c FFXIAH. is using this site to advertise freely or it is sponsored, and then what they do is alphapetically go through all the servers starting with Bahamet and go to the end... from start to finish.. and spam the F**k out of everyone, b.c its there way of advertising b.c SE has kicked them out or most of them. They still exisit by using the free 1 month acc. and then log out and quit, and trust me. they wil always remina. Were all under the will of the RMT.. no matter how we see it. Just ignor them.. and don't support them. DONT BUY GIL.. hurt them as they hurt us..
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-28 23:36:23

Neonracer said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Artemicion said:
I'm pretty sure they run some sort of script that automates to individuals in an alphabetical order.

Ya, it's gotta be...two friends of mine with "A" names get them all the time, and I've yet to get one on my main.

I think it may be b.c FFXIAH. is using this site to advertise freely or it is sponsored, and then what they do is alphapetically go through all the servers starting with Bahamet and go to the end... from start to finish.. and spam the F**k out of everyone, b.c its there way of advertising b.c SE has kicked them out or most of them. They still exisit by using the free 1 month acc. and then log out and quit, and trust me. they wil always remina. Were all under the will of the RMT.. no matter how we see it. Just ignor them.. and don't support them. DONT BUY GIL.. hurt them as they hurt us..

Are you implying one day they could hack FFXIAH and hack all our accounts?!?!?!!?
 Asura.Reublucian
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-28 23:36:24

Neonracer said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Artemicion said:

Are you implying one day they could hack FFXIAH and hack all our accounts?!?!?!!?
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-03-28 23:41:48  
[oh em gee. They will hack ffxiah.com and hack our accounts so they can post bad things on the forums so we could get banned...oh noooooo! /sarcasm
 Diabolos.Aphy
サーバ: Diabolos
user:
By Diabolos.Aphy 2009-03-28 23:50:07

I get GS /tells all the time lol. Im the only "A" person in my shell so I warn my shell, usually the b's then c's and d's get them all the way to about n-t and after t they stop. I dont know why. o.O
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-03-28 23:55:28  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Artemicion said:

Cerberus.Zonnashi
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zonnashi
By Cerberus.Zonnashi 2009-03-29 00:35:48  
Change your name to an Alphabetically low name. I have to date rescieved only one /t.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-29 02:56:08  
Zonnashi said:
Change your name to an Alphabetically low name. I have to date rescieved only one /t.

XD Maybe someday they'll get smart and start from the OTHER side of the alphabet? :O
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-29 03:01:14  
Anye said:
Zonnashi said:

XD Maybe someday they'll get smart and start from the OTHER side of the alphabet? :O

Don't give them any ideas!! :P

I enjoy my relatively RMT free existence ^^
 Seraph.Majique
サーバ: Seraph
user: Majique
By Seraph.Majique 2009-03-29 04:20:48  
i'm new to this thread, havn't read over all of it, but thought i'd share my deduction on the matter.
i dont know if its just my experiance with these *** rmt /tell spamers, but everytime i get their spam its when im in dynamis, and almost always in xarc. just tonite <everyone> in my dyna ls got spam while we were inside dyna-xarc zone. this leads me to believe for a fact they're using a hack program for certain zones, and its not just an alphabetical order bit. if i'm wrong its because i thought /search was set up for zones you've entered, as such you're only supposed to be able to search names in areas that you've entered, so its not just them having a certain list of names. and theres no way in hell these 10min rmt's have that kinda of access. i also think they hacked the xarc lists because its a higher gil activity, be it for the hour glass, relic levelers, or people they suspect are there to buy AF peices(in the event that a ls is selling pc's which i think is almost as deplorable as the rmt spammers). anyhow, just thought i'd post. im curious if anyone else has this problem and/or has noticed this as well.
 Seraph.Majique
サーバ: Seraph
user: Majique
By Seraph.Majique 2009-03-29 04:23:30  
blah outside of post edit* didnt mean to say xarc lists, meant to say dyna lists
 Carbuncle.Silverhawke
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Silverhawke 2009-03-29 04:39:07  
I think best thing is just to ignore.

/blist has no effect, since next time you will get a tell it's from a new character.

Changing more game mechanics to addapt to RMT is bs. We already lost the fun and excitement of camping NM's for gil like Mee Deggi and Stroper Chyme. All because of adapting to RMT.

Fishing changes also affected players more then RMT, up to the point there where coral was being fished up by RMT AND players, it is now almost RMT exclusive... The irony..

The only thing that should be done is SE continuing to put more effort in banning RMT's (including all buyers).