users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » what endgame event for dragoon
what endgame event for dragoon
First Page 2 3 4
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-13 12:28:49  
i know i want to do, or atleast try all the endgame events in ffxi... but as a dragoon who is slowly approaching 75 for my first time ever, i was wondering, what endgame event should i start with?
 Valefor.Meltorefas
サーバ: Valefor
user: Melty
By Valefor.Meltorefas 2009-03-13 12:30:15  
sky maybe, idk
 Asura.Yotevol
サーバ: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-13 12:30:53  
Finish up Zilart and find a sky LS.
When you hit 75, work on your merits and exp buffer BEFORE you get that Sky LS.
Also when you have a HUGE exp buffer, get a Dynamis LS.
That's about it to help experience end-game without the drama of HNMs.
~Yote
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-13 12:33:41  
Die in a mess!

I mean, Dynamis is pretty easy to begin with. Sky is pretty nice too, both fairly laid back with a good group.

If I were you, I'd read a bit about each and see which seems most interesting.

If you're looking for lengthy events, Sky/Dynamis/maybe Salvage (I've never done it >.>) should be good.

Shorter events, I'd go with Limbus, Einherjar and maybe HNM that aren't annoying (where you can afk for like 28 minutes at a time ftw) >.>
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-13 12:35:43  
Hitetsu said:
Die in a mess!

I mean, Dynamis is pretty easy to begin with. Sky is pretty nice too, both fairly laid back with a good group.

If I were you, I'd read a bit about each and see which seems most interesting.

If you're looking for lengthy events, Sky/Dynamis/maybe Salvage (I've never done it >.>) should be good.

Shorter events, I'd go with Limbus, Einherjar and maybe HNM that aren't annoying (where you can afk for like 28 minutes at a time ftw) >.>

Don't do HNM until you are ready to deal with emo freaks... lol.
Don't do limbus and einherjar until you finish your mission requirements.
Seriously, do those missions!
~Yote
 Siren.Delirium
サーバ: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-13 12:41:25  
salvage could be good for you but you'll want those merits maxed out really. although i've never ever ever had a dragoon in my salvage parties

i'd say dynamis and sky for DRG.
 Asura.Starstress
By Asura.Starstress 2009-03-13 12:42:54  
I started with Dynamis then Sky, finished CoP and ZM and w/e else, then go with Limbus/Salvage, hopefully your server is better and you can get into a good EG LS too after, show the awesome dmg power of DRG!
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-13 12:43:40  
If you ignore the drama, there's nothing wrong with HNM.

Einherjar missions are simple to get to, if there is any >.> I don't remember ever reading about any requirements other than being Lv.60+ for Einherjar.

Limbus is the only moderate challenge, but with a decent 6 people, it's still cake to get to. It wouldn't be hard to do COP 1-1 -> 8-4 in 2 weeks, maybe 3, assuming you had the money to get all meds and a little luck in farming items. I don't expect people to do that, but it's definitely doable if you were to set like 75% of your day aside for it and do whole chapters or huge chunks in a day.
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-13 12:49:38  
hmm... sounds like HNM have alot of drama... like what?
 Asura.Starstress
By Asura.Starstress 2009-03-13 12:51:41  
Theres drama with everything, from a social shell to sky to limbus lol
Always gonna be...
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-13 12:54:12  
Kaindragoon said:
hmm... sounds like HNM have alot of drama... like what?

To be honest, there is Inter-LS drama and Intra-LS Drama.
When you sit for 3 hours, waiting for a pop, people get worked up.
Their aggressions lead to some of the following arguements-

Inter-LS drama:
1) Someone messes up the exact ToD.
2) Two people fight over the drop and who "deserves" it and who doesn't.

Intra-LS drama:
1) Insults over gear.
2) Gil-Seller accusations.
3) Botting accusations.

~Yote
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-13 12:54:49  
well, yeah, of course, i was just wondering if there was a special type of drama associated with HNM ls'

i mean, my little social ls has already gone through a major split, and weve absorbed another small ls into us... and this is only since october ><
 Seraph.Gaberialogan
サーバ: Seraph
By Seraph.Gaberialogan 2009-03-13 13:32:32  
Unfortunatly most HNMLS don't really want Drg only. It would be best to level a more useful job they can use. So as far as getting in a real hnmls as just a Drg, will unfortunatly make a whole ls lol at you. At least a real one who camp kings and what not.

Personally my opinion is all a Drg would be good for is dynamis. Oh and maybe a good merit party with drakesbane. I'd never invite a drg to my nyzul isle group (maybe if I had no other choice) I definetly wouldn't want one in sea helping me out with anything, aerns, jailors etc... Salvage, hmm I don't think I've ever seen a drg in salvage, or einjeher or limbus for that matter, perhaps sky would be ok, with a decent party camping despot or ulli triggs, but that gets old, fast. Potentially useful on a few gods. (maybe) My best advice is go dynamis for all the loldrg drops and in the mean time level your blm, Sam, brd, thf, pld, rdm or possibly even smn if you want good end game action. Not trying to be an *** here, it's just how it is for the life of an only drg for a job. Every drg in my hnmls never uses the job. Maybe to merit but that's about it, and they only leveled them after having 1 or more other jobs. If they did show up drg they would be asked to change. I Actually do know 1 drg who leveled it 1st kicked himself in the *** then leveled nin and quit the game cause nin is like so 2004 and no one ever wanted him lol I think he's playing WoW now lol too bad cause I liked him. Anyway sorry if this post sounded mean it was never meant to, I just don't understand what afixiation newbs have with a dragon fighting next to them all the time. Sure drg is strong and whatever, but not practical for most end game events. Please forgive me.
 Bahamut.Kelia
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-13 13:38:22  
dear Gaberialogan, please learn to paragraph, and look up Angon on wiki sometime.

xoxo, Kelia
 Seraph.Gaberialogan
By Seraph.Gaberialogan 2009-03-13 13:49:39  
Oh and the drama associated with hnmls are people always feel as though they should get gear over others. If someone doesn't get what he/she wants...Drama. If u don't show up for an event while online...Drama, u been camping faf everyday but someone else hasn't who gets riddell...drama. You need to go out to dinner with your girl/boy and you just gotta finish killing Tiamat...drama in RL now. Drama happens when people aren't happy. I promise someone will say something to cause it, I promise almost everyone will encounter it, if u don't do your job right...drama. You're always afk during dynamis...drama, another party camping your birds...drama, you delevel because of someone else...drama. Drama is everywhere, if you can't figure out why it happens or see it happeing in front of you, you need to crawl out from under that rock you've been living under and slap yourself so hard your neighbors feel it. Welcome to the world of FFXI. I hope you enjoy your stay.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-03-13 14:02:41  
Starstress said:
I started with Dynamis then Sky, finished CoP and ZM and w/e else, then go with Limbus/Salvage, hopefully your server is better and you can get into a good EG LS too after, show the awesome dmg power of DRG!

I'm no DRG, but I think this is the best post thus far and the best course of action. As far as I can tell, there are quite a few good pieces of gear for DRG in Sky/Dynamis/Limbus, and these events are a good place to get your feet wet in terms of endgame. Also, I'm sure someone mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again: merit Angon!

That being said, don't worry too much about endgame right now though. Sure you're level 60, but the halfway point to 75 (exp wise) is around level 63. You still have a fair amount of leveling ahead of you, so don't worry about endgame just yet. Place more of your focus into dinging 75, doing ZM and CoP missions, and finishing off your DRG's subjobs.
 Seraph.Gaberialogan
By Seraph.Gaberialogan 2009-03-13 14:17:13  
1st you'll need to forgive my lack of paragraph form as I'm typing all of this from my iPhone. I knew someone was gonna pick on me for something, you have to after that comment I just left. Especially all of you drgs who will try and defend the job.

2nd, I don't think I've ever heard, hey so and so bring your drg to Khimiara we really need your angon to lower his defense, we can't handle it without it. Maybe angon would be good for a merit party say against trolls in mount zyhalom or something. But not against any King worth killing, it's not a necassity.

Why I'm even on my iPhone looking ***up and typing in the forums is beyond me anyway...lol I just feel bad for anyone who gets a job to 30 and unlocks drg right away and brings it to 75 thinking they'll be able to use it for end game stuff. Should have just taking there initial job to 75 1st, Then unlocked drg. ***even a whm sees more end game action then a drg does. Now I know how painful whm is to level, but at least u can use it...
 Seraph.Gaberialogan
By Seraph.Gaberialogan 2009-03-13 14:28:21  
Oh and lastly I wanna finish with, and I promise I'll stfu after this, but I'm not saying drg isn't a powerful job. Because it is very powerful. It's just not useful in many end game events. You'd have more fun meriting with it's power than anyone would have fun calling a drg to Tiamat. It just won't happen. Even if you were lucky enough to get in a King hnmls as just a drg, you'd probably just sit the side lines til they called you in for the title.

Stop at level 60 and continue to take whatever other job you took to level 30 1st and take that to 75, then finish drg. Then you'll have 2 jobs 75 and you'll make your time in FF much more enjoyable.

This is fact, not my opinion, unless you think you'll have fun just roaming the land and maybe doing sky and dynamis every once in awhile.
 Hades.Manwae
サーバ: Hades
user: manwae
By Hades.Manwae 2009-03-13 14:42:11  
DRG is good for salvage. Wouldn't want to use it as main DD but agnon is great for the mega's. As for nyzul isle drg/rdm is great to bring along. There is a lot of endgame you can do well as a drg only, just most ppl wont give you a chance.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-03-13 15:06:55  
I've seen a few DRG's do very well on parses for all end game events. It depends on the DRG though. It's one of the jobs that very easy to screw up but requires a brain to play well. DRG PUP BLU come to mind there.

Sadly it can also require some hard to get gear, in which you will need a decent end game shell to get (and probably another job besides DRG to get into that shell). But even with some awesome gear you will always have the lazy people who refuse to play it right or learn how to play it right.

Like with everything -- the bad players are noticed more than the good players. People then think "DRG is a bad job!" because no one ever notices when things go smoothly. Just when things go wrong. WHM vs. RDM in merit parties is a good example~ I'm both rdm and whm and I much prefer whm over rdm for merit parties. I don't even need the brd to ballad me on whm/sch, but I usually do on rdm. ;)

We can't compare a DRG to a kraken DRK in a zerg either ... seen a few of those on forums lately -_-
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-03-13 15:27:45  
I'd say start with Dynamis and probably Sky.

For farming Sky, it doesn't really matter what job you are, and for Gods, a DRG could be used pretty well except for some potential issues with Seiryu and Suzaku where you'd have to go without your Wyvern for at least part of it.

After that, I hate to say it, because DRG is very powerful indeed, but you really won't get much play from most endgame LS if that's your only 75.

You may get in, and you may watch a lot, but you probably won't participate much.

Angon is very handy for zergs(As is Feint for THF).

I really hate to say "level another job" because I'm not that type of person, but if you really want to participate and contribute in an EGLS, you will not have the best opportunities as a DRG. It's not because DRG "can't" do these activities, it's because most people won't get off their high horse and let you (and for some things, there are reasons why DRG is not ideal).

A lot of it may lie in the application, and a well-geared DRG/Mage could probably contribute fantastically to things like lowman Limbus. We had a DRG/SAM in my Nyzul static from F1 - F100, but as soon as he finished THF75, he was on THF all the time. It's not because DRG wasn't good, but THF worked better for the overall group structure. That's a lot of what you'll run into.
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-13 15:32:47  
I have witnessed the power of a DRG on Kirin.
When we popped Kirin for a TP Burn,
The DRG Jumped, High Jumped, Spirit Surged, Jumped again, High Jumped again, and Super Jumped.
After he came down from Super Jump, he unleashed 2 WS (TP Wing included), and used Angon.
The rest of the DDs did their damage and we beat Kirin in 47 seconds.

It was glorious.
The Spirit Surged Jump and Angon helped immensely.
~Yote
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-03-13 15:49:05  
Some others have said it already, but most "endgame" activities shouldn't really be much of a concern for you atm. Get 75 > get all possible subs to 37 > Merit like a *** on valentines day.

Once you do get wrapped up in endgame events you will have little to no time to do these things, so do them now while you have the chance. After that, focus on missions. Get rank 10, cause the missions are easy and the gil is nice, GET SEA!!! (no matter what you have to do, get freaking sea), get all ur runics if you haven't so far, get all your maw's if you haven't so far, these are required things to have done to be taken seriously by any shell you want to do events with.

Now, a good thing to focus on would be assaults. Get captain, its not required at all, but its a huge huge help for a number of reasons epc if you plan on doing salvage ever. Start/join a nyzule isle static. The askar set in nyzule is very very good for drg and would def help first impressions with any serious endgame shell you might be looking at. A dynamis shell would also be great to look for at this point, it would give you expereince in working in a large group as opposed to just xp/assaults/mission size groups. (I'm not sure how useful most of the drg AF2 really is, but it looks pretty).

At this point, Sky/sea/limbus/ein/HNM groups are all avaliable to you. Most of the very large HNM shells most likely won't even consider a drg only player, but those aren't the only shells that do events. I co run a sky/znm/sea/limb shell and we have a Drg only member. Angon is extremly useful in zerg situations and also in events like ein where you need to kill many difficult mobs in a short period of time.

Lastly, through all of this, please make your best effort to gear yourself properly. Don't wear full AF, don't tp in 2 NQ str rings etc etc. You can be decent on a budget. People that matter will appreciate that and it will go along way to helping you accomplish your ingame goals.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-03-13 16:10:29  
Btw, although I think someone already said it, alot dont seem to know, but the DRG we have in Salvage ls, (pretty low man.. never anymore than 15 people at the best of days) is pretty *** pwn. give him the first weapon from the chest and he pwns hard. along with wyvern which does surprisingly alot.
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-13 16:39:21  
15 people is low man...?
 Bahamut.Illyst
user: illyst
By Bahamut.Illyst 2009-03-13 16:48:59  
Ultrarichard said:
Btw, although I think someone already said it, alot dont seem to know, but the DRG we have in Salvage ls, (pretty low man.. never anymore than 15 people at the best of days) is pretty *** pwn. give him the first weapon from the chest and he pwns hard. along with wyvern which does surprisingly alot.

Kelia said:
15 people is low man...?

Of course it's lowman! Totally lower than our group killing bosses with 4 people and a 2 box! (sarcasm included for those that don't know)
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-13 16:52:21  
You count as 10 people though fataru.
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-13 16:55:25  
kk, i appreciate all the advice i can see where most of its going, DRG can work, but best 2 get a second job up there, kk.

as for subjobs, im actually working on getting all viable subs for drg to 37+: war, sam, nin, blu, rdm, and whm.

as far as gear goes, im trying my damnedest to not be one of those lolDrgs i hear so much about, ive never gotten any negitive comments on my gear, or my usage of moves. i dread someone saying to me lolDrg, so i strive for excellence! right now im working on getting enough gil for chivilous chain, tabin boots+1, and arment mantle+1 before i even consider doing lb3!

as for getting to 75, im in a static party, where one of my other team members is taking a hiatus to lvl his scythe skill and another to level her subjob, but once we are ready, i can see 65 happening in a week, and 70 in about a month. after i hit 75, i plan on fully meriting before i even attempt an endgame ls, but yes, thanks for all the advice, ill will take something from all of it!
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-13 16:56:38  
also, just a side note: even when i started playing dragoon (when i unlocked it about 2 years ago) i knew it was going to be a challenge because of the stigma around it
 Asura.Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-03-13 17:06:51  
Btw- you should add THF as one of the sub jobs.
SATA Penta-Thrust <3
~Yote
First Page 2 3 4