users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » what endgame event for dragoon
what endgame event for dragoon
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-03-13 19:48:48  
Enternius said:
An average SAM will always outparse an average DRG at any level. A good SAM will always outparse a good DRG at any level. A GREAT DRG will outparse a good SAM, but never a great SAM. The area that DRG excels in is solo and everyone knows it.

No Offense there! but so sorry good sir you been calling ppl noobs into this thread & then lay this...
please, can you explain me how a DRG will never Outparse a SAM in a colibri Merit PT ? why do you think even SAM sometimes does use a polearn ? ofcourse SAMs does have an advantage oblivious for their TP spam, but don't get it wrong, a good DRG/SAM would outparse any godly SAM in situation such as merits PT, with Jumps & all, you need to reconsider your view of this job & get better infos about it too.
I seen somes DRG damaging thoses poor parots for more than 2.5k repeatively, when the SAMs used to face the mobs to have their bonus damages because even with their Hagun & all their OMGstuff they could not keep up against the DRG, still when they could rarely face the mobs, their damage wold not keep up.

For the OP question, Sky & Dynamis is where you can start as many persons said, then Limbus when you have acces to it, also, Einherjar yes! you can meet mobs such as bats or Kraken which would not resist to your damages, in my einherjar LS we do have DRG & they work well.
 Asura.Starstress
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Starstress 2009-03-13 20:09:35  
a good drg can out any good dd and so forth lol can be best geared job and someone with more skillz knowledge etc can beat it without same gears and what not
 Odin.Moondaddy
サーバ: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-03-13 22:50:34  
Enternius said:
Ardath said:
Heca blow bums nuts IMO, with DPS on two hand weapon as high as it is, any +Slow gear will not help in the least. Sure you will have more attack, but I would rather hit more often for more DoT than hit harder for less DoT.

^Noob. Not even going to grace that with an intelligent response.

i know right cause ppl with heca tp in it

Moondaddy said:
damn drg acc >.<;

^Also noob. DRG has the highest melee ACC of any job.

oh ya, well why dont you tell my drg that. would love to hit a lil more >.>
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-03-13 23:09:40  
Moondaddy said:
oh ya, well why dont you tell my drg that. would love to hit a lil more >.>

1. DRG has Accuracy Bonus (Tier II, +22 ACC), a trait shared only with RNG (Tier IV) and BLU (Tier I)
2. DRG uses two-handed weapons, which have naturally higher accuracy ratings due to their DEX formulas vs. one-handed weapons.
3. Just about any accuracy accessories/gear WAR, SAM, DRK, and/or BLU, etc. get, DRG can use as well (or has some equivalent.)

Your DRG just got told?
 Odin.Moondaddy
サーバ: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-03-13 23:28:15  
not really, all that info not gonna stop a 0 tp return from wheeling thrust or penta thrust. that quote is the 3 words of my post lighten up ppls
 Ifrit.Satabi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Satabi
By Ifrit.Satabi 2009-03-14 00:19:59  
Actually, DRG is a little lower on accuracy than the other jobs who get Aggressor, Focus, Diabolic Eye/Souleater/Absorb-ACC, Haubergeon/Hauberk/Adaman, etc.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-14 01:49:08  
drg has plenty of accuracy items... the equivalent of acc from the hauberk types is the SH btw... not to mention SH+1 is almost 1/4 the price of the hauberk +1. native +22 acc, Sniper rings, chiv chain, potent belt, sushi? do you really need more acc than that? then merit polearm, thats 16 more... i'm gonna do an equation here for kicks... for this equation a 75 drg is going to have 70 base dex and no dex mods. they will have all the gear i said above and pole merits. i'm coming up with 539 acc. really now... do you need more than that...
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2009-03-14 07:42:00  
Satabi said:
Actually, DRG is a little lower on accuracy than the other jobs who get Aggressor, Focus, Diabolic Eye/Souleater/Absorb-ACC, Haubergeon/Hauberk/Adaman, etc.

Drg is the most accurate job 100% of the time though, because the other jobs require you to merit the JAs fully and also still have a cool down time from 1:10mins to 2mins.

The jobs you meantioned are sam,drk,war and mnk. This is how they fair against dragoon, all subbing /sam, I subbed /drg for sam to give it an advantage in accuracy, mnk subbed nin. Minus the weapons, I gave them all the best gear possible, within reason. No HQ adaman or Hachiryu body. Full merits, torques etc.

Monk - 385 (30) = 415
Sam - 403
War - 395 (25) = 420
Drk - 399 (20) = 419
Drg - 412

Mnk gets +30 with focus+af head
War gets +25 with a aggressor for 3mins every 4:10 mins when fully maxed
Drk gets +20 with eye, for 3mins every 5mins when fully maxed
drk also gets absorb acc which really makes drk job shine now.

Point being, drg is still a really accurate job considering that it doesnt have all the buffs JAs that most of these jobs have. And again the accuracy that it can obtain is 100% of the time rather than waiting on cool down timers. Another interesting thing, the 2hander update is basically what buffed up jobs like sam and war, more specifically war, 10 and 15 dex from Ebody/haidates = almost 19 accuracy on top of the 15 accuracy the body has. Thats almost 34 accuracy in just 2 slots...
 Siren.Anmorata
サーバ: Siren
user: Anmorata
By Siren.Anmorata 2009-03-14 09:22:23  
I've done a few endgame events on DRG, its pretty fun. not rly fun on HNM, pets die too fast from any AoE
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-14 09:43:31  
Enternius said:
An average SAM will always outparse an average DRG at any level. A good SAM will always outparse a good DRG at any level. A GREAT DRG will outparse a good SAM, but never a great SAM.

Comparing SAM to DRG is like saying COR is better than BRD. People will ask: "In what areas?" They will ask you to give examples. Failure to do so will make them lose interest in what you think, and you have no interest in achieving failure.

If DRG and SAM are two separate jobs, there is certainly a reason. SAM is a pure DD job (as WHM is a pure healing job), there is virtually nothing you can do with it other than deal lots of damage and hope to kill the enemy before it can do the same to you.

As a DRG, let's say I get killed at the beginning of a Simurgh fight, I reraise myself right away... and I instantly become a backup healer (400~500HP per Healing Breath actually means something, trust me, considering we can spam them faster than actual healing jobs, and that we get no hate from it). That is until I wasn't weakened anymore, then guess who delivered the final blow, and why everyone was still alive at the end of the fight? I know I made a big mistake right at the beginning (forgetting Stoneskin before the first Penta and not having time to trigger my High Jump macro); however, I didn't feel useless one bit.

In the end, what you consider "better" will always depend on your tastes and you will never be able to convince anyone, unless you explain the reasons behind those tastes. If you fail to acknowledge the purpose of others around you, and the potential they have to make YOU better in many situations, you will never be a good SAM, nor great at anything.
 Caitsith.Frysia
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Frysia
By Caitsith.Frysia 2009-03-14 10:40:48  
Satabi said:
Coming from a DRG33.

Ares's body is good for solo, yes. But Drakesbane is a crit mod WS, meaning it's only so-so if you don't crit with it. Zahak's is only 2 STR less than it, but gives +10 DEX and +3% crit rate, making it far better than Ares's for Drakesbane. Even Heca body beats Ares's for WSing in.

Again still coming from a DRG without Ares. I actually love my Ares for WS's, Str and ATT awesome, and the vit is nice for Jump mod even if it is a minor mod for jump. I don't use my DRG for HNM, but mainly for the reason I have PLD geared very well. I'd go for Ares/Askar, if lacking ACC TPing in go for Homam.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-03-14 11:23:08  
Yotevol said:
Hitetsu said:
Die in a mess!

I mean, Dynamis is pretty easy to begin with. Sky is pretty nice too, both fairly laid back with a good group.

If I were you, I'd read a bit about each and see which seems most interesting.

If you're looking for lengthy events, Sky/Dynamis/maybe Salvage (I've never done it >.>) should be good.

Shorter events, I'd go with Limbus, Einherjar and maybe HNM that aren't annoying (where you can afk for like 28 minutes at a time ftw) >.>

Don't do HNM until you are ready to deal with emo freaks... lol.
Don't do limbus and einherjar until you finish your mission requirements.
Seriously, do those missions!
~Yote

No mission requirement for Einherjar what so ever.
 Bahamut.Kaioshin
user: Troair
By Bahamut.Kaioshin 2009-03-14 11:31:50  
Illyst said:
Ultrarichard said:
Btw, although I think someone already said it, alot dont seem to know, but the DRG we have in Salvage ls, (pretty low man.. never anymore than 15 people at the best of days) is pretty *** pwn. give him the first weapon from the chest and he pwns hard. along with wyvern which does surprisingly alot.

Kelia said:
15 people is low man...?

Of course it's lowman! Totally lower than our group killing bosses with 4 people and a 2 box! (sarcasm included for those that don't know)

Well its you Illyst... who wouldnt know your being sarcastic ^^ ;)
 Bahamut.Kelia
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-14 11:52:36  
Illyst is still fat.

OP your gear is pretty good for it being your first job, I would just worry about getting 75 and getting heca from a sky LS for now. Eventually you will want to level another job, which one it is depends where you go from there.
 Valefor.Xenogelion
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Xenogelion 2009-03-14 12:29:12  
i think DRGs got screwed out of body armor. SAM, WAR, and DRK can just go to the auction house and buy a Haubergeon for 300k. DRG has to either join a sky LS spend alot of time farming to earn points and try to win the Neptunal Abjuration: Body to get Hecatomb Harness, save up 5 mil for Zahak's Mail, do salvage for Ares's cuirass, or climb floors in Nyzul Isle for Askar Korazin.
 Midgardsormr.Antonaki
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Antonaki
By Midgardsormr.Antonaki 2009-03-14 12:30:19  
Psyence said:
Enternius said:
An average SAM will always outparse an average DRG at any level. A good SAM will always outparse a good DRG at any level. A GREAT DRG will outparse a good SAM, but never a great SAM.

Comparing SAM to DRG is like saying RDM is better than WHM. People will ask: "In what areas?" They will ask you to give examples. Failure to do so will make them lose interest in what you think, and you have no interest in achieving failure.

If DRG and SAM are two separate jobs, there is certainly a reason. SAM is a pure DD job (as WHM is a pure healing job), there is virtually nothing you can do with it other than deal lots of damage and hope to kill the enemy before it can do the same to you.

As a DRG, let's say I get killed at the beginning of a Simurgh fight, I reraise myself right away... and I instantly become a backup healer (400~500HP per Healing Breath actually means something, trust me, considering we can spam them faster than actual healing jobs, and that we get no hate from it). That is until I wasn't weakened anymore, then guess who delivered the final blow, and why everyone was still alive at the end of the fight? I know I made a big mistake right at the beginning (forgetting Stoneskin before the first Penta and not having time to trigger my High Jump macro); however, I didn't feel useless one bit.

In the end, what you consider "better" will always depend on your tastes and you will never be able to convince anyone, unless you explain the reasons behind those tastes. If you fail to acknowledge the purpose of the jobs around you, and the potential they have to make you more powerful in many situations, you will never be a great SAM nor great at anything.

Enternius
DMG will depend on mob type. example...
My unmerited but not to badly geared DRG/SAM out parsing 2 Fairly well geared and merited SAM/WARs and an Amadaburk/ridill WAR/NIN on birds, just as a MNK would if the mob of choice was Bones, or WAR if it was mamools. SAMs are prefered for 90% of endgame events simply because they dont need to feed TP to get TP and the ease to make SCs.

Psyence
Love the example about Simmy and your last paragraph is spot on.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-14 12:40:27  
@Psyence, I never said DRG sucks. It's just that, well, SAM with all the amazing DD gear it gets (Some of the best in the game if I'm not mistaken) and its amazing JAs and JTs, will almost always pull ahead of DRG. People seem to forget that SAM can use Polearm too, and last I checked, 3 1.5k Pentas > 1 2k Drakesbane.

That being said, DRG/WHM, DRG/RDM, or DRG/BLU are amazing.

Edit: I know my DRG is only 33 but My SAM gear is mediocre at best (I don't do endgame) And I still outparse Valkyrie's Fork/Ares DRGs. I wouldn't be able to do it without Polearm of course, but aren't you starting to see a trend here? Without polearm, SAM isn't a great DD, and without polearm, neither is DRG. It's the polearm that kicks ***, not the job behind it.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-14 12:41:22  
Quote:
what endgame event for dragoon

None. Hohoho!

(Nobody'd said it, as you were...)
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-14 12:52:15  
Kelia said:
OP your gear is pretty good for it being your first job, I would just worry about getting 75 and getting heca from a sky LS for now. Eventually you will want to level another job, which one it is depends where you go from there.

/bow, thank you
im still working on getting more stuff as is to better myself, but if this wasnt my first job to 75 what would you change? (i dont want scorp harness)
*note: going for chivilous chain, amement mantle +1, and Tabin boots+1

edit: hmm... guess it wants to show my nin gear now >< oh well, let me get a list of my stuffs...

60drg/30sam
Weapon: Dark Mezraq
Sub: Mythril Grip +1
Ranged: none
Ammo: Olibanum Sachet
Head: Walkure Mask
Neck: Spiked Necklace (chiviolus chain)
earring1: Spiked Earring
earring2: Spiked Earring
Body: Jeridah Peti
Hands: Spiked Finger Gauntlets
ring1: Woodsman Ring
ring2: Ecphoria Ring
Back: Jaguar mantle (amement mantle +1 next lvl)
Waist: Potent Belt
Legs: Crow Hose
Feet: Jeridah Nails (Tabin Boots +1)
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-03-14 13:27:16  
Kaindragoon said:
if this wasnt my first job to 75 what would you change?

Well, when leveling a second job, especially one that's similar to the first one, you get to keep some of the gears which you can put to good use in different situations. Even if some gears (like Acc. bonus rings) can be equipped at level 40, no one is expecting you to have them all as you level your first job. Also, because some of your stats are already capped (Evasion and Parrying come to mind), it does make a difference in the damage you take and the time it takes you to actually master your 2nd level 75 job.

Example: If I had started leveling WHM in the first place, there's no way my parrying and evasion would be this high. But now, because I'm 75 in a DD job, when I sometimes get hate as a WHM, it helps me until the tank can manage to regain the mob's attention.

Example: Because I bought a chivalrous chain as DRG, I can always use it when comes time to meelee as WHM (like when there's nothing better to do in Campaign, for example). But there's no way in hell that I would've bought that if my only 75 was a healing job. It's just a plus, and it's welcome.

Tip: I ALWAYS check every DRG I pass by, and if I do not understand why they are wearing some type of gear, I humbly ask them to explain (if their answer makes some sense, I will then proceed to evaluate if I can/want to get such piece). There's nothing worse than spending your hard-earned 50k on some HP bonus earring when you are new to DRG, then realize that it's not as suited to your job as you expected... lol (yeah I did that long ago >.>)

Tip: I know that Scorpion Harness may look awful to you as it screws your cool new full AF look that you've worked so hard on getting. And it may sound dumb to you when you realize that most of the AF and even relic gears for DRG are not meant to be worn in parties, but just good for macroing; however, you'll get used to it and I'm pretty sure if you can put the "fashion" aspect aside, at least while leveling, your parties will appreciate it and you will contribute in making your job valuable in their opinion... =)
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-14 13:49:45  
Psyence said:
Tip: I know that Scorpion Harness may look awful to you as it screws your cool new full AF look that you've worked so hard on getting. And it may sound dumb to you when you realize that most of the AF and even relic gears for DRG are not meant to be worn in parties, but just good for macroing; however, you'll get used to it and I'm pretty sure if you can put the "fashion" aspect aside, at least while leveling, your parties will appreciate it and you will contribute in making your job valuable in their opinion... =)

hmm... but i like my peti, i dont know, it just kinda feels better, and so far im not having ANY problem hitting mobs in party (been wearing it since 55), in fact once i got to lvl 59 and was starting to be able to unload on the mobs we were fighting i managed to cap my evasion... so i hit good. i think the +5 acc and the +5 att is better for how well im hitting than +10 to acc would be. (i also eats my sushi too, so my acc is boosted with that too)
 Bahamut.Illyst
user: illyst
By Bahamut.Illyst 2009-03-14 13:55:23  
Kaioshin said:
Well its you Illyst... who wouldnt know your being sarcastic ^^ ;)

Who you is? Do I know you?

Kelia said:
Illyst is still fat.

OP your gear is pretty good for it being your first job, I would just worry about getting 75 and getting heca from a sky LS for now. Eventually you will want to level another job, which one it is depends where you go from
there.

YOU FAT !
But yea what she said, start with sky and dynamis, DRG was
My first job to 75 and that's where I started endgame stuff. Get 75, merit angon first, have fun.

I didn't get hear from my first sky ls for my drg cause I just did it for fun, regret that now but I get to bug kelia everyday now so that's enjoyable everyday when doing events.
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-14 14:03:29  
eat meat and use a SH and acc+5 ring, ecphoria is useless without a 6hit build which you can't do yet. also PCC and then chiv chain whenever you can wear it. later on, drakesbane.

PS Illyst still fat
 Caitsith.Frysia
By Caitsith.Frysia 2009-03-14 14:20:57  
Well that's annoying...I typed a bunch up and hit submit and it didn't do it, lol.

Kaindragoon said:

60drg/30sam

Your gear for your lvl as a first time job is excellent. few things I might change is for legs use Republuc Sub (ATT+5) til Tiger Ledelsens (lvl63)or even until Fourth Schoss (lvl68)

Also, may consider macroing AF Boots for Jump and High Jump as it increases the chance the jump will crit hit, getting a Drake Ring doesn't hurt either if you do any soloing. Also macro in any Str and Dex for Jumps (Vit may be a mod for jump but it does very little) doing so will increase the damage and the chance the jump will crit.

If you don't have a WS set with Str ATT with balanced ACC of course may want to invest in that. (Pallas are quite nice for WS's at that lvl for SAM)

I'd keep the Spiked Finger Gauntlets if you have enough ACC as is. ATT +12 is awesome can't make up for that loss very easily.

I'd invest in a Pole Grip as well Double ATT+2% may be very little but once you get to 75 and get other double attack gear it adds up.

I duoed DRG 27 to 75 getting 8-15k an hour so I didn't need to focus so much on ACC since we were going for lower lvl mobs (T-VT)but if you are hitting fine I'd stick with the Jeridah Peti, but investing in a SH for when you may need more ACC in a few lvls isn't bad either

EDIT
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Dragoon:_Guide_to_Weapons_and_Armor
Has a good list of gear to use although I don't agree with all of it such as the Crow Legs, lol.
 Garuda.Kaindragoon
By Garuda.Kaindragoon 2009-03-14 14:45:17  
Frysia said:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Dragoon:_Guide_to_Weapons_and_Armor
Has a good list of gear to use although I don't agree with all of it such as the Crow Legs, lol.

only reason i decided the crow legs were worth it was the sheer damage that penta-thrust was doing, and i wanted a little bit of -enmity on me so, in theory, i would be able to use penta-thrust more, and not have to super jump as much... turns out that it doesnt really make much difference, im still pulling hate often when using penta-thrust so im holding off on it until i either know the tank can voke, or super jump is ready. consider tiger/feral trousers on my list! also, i do macro in my af boots... is it good to macro in my helm for weapon skill, or just not worry about it except when macroing it in when soloing /mage

also, i dont do much soloing so yeah. im going to duo with a member of my static since he needs to catch up his weapon skill for his new favorite weapon type ><, so ill diffently look at those.

also someone in my static has a scorp harness and cant use it with the job they are leveling, so i get to borrow it whenever i need it when playing drg.
 Bahamut.Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2009-03-14 14:46:44  
eat meat :|
 Caitsith.Frysia
By Caitsith.Frysia 2009-03-14 15:17:24  
Bad Thanks! D: I rarely lost hate on PLD (my first job XD), granted it was pre AU, not even Pre-"Nerf" RNG's took hate off me....think only job that gave me hate trouble were MNK's with Kick Attack Gear and Double Attacks...they took hate a lot... lol.

May consider picking up a THF to TA+DE Tanks...although it's hard to find good THF's too, lol.
 Asura.Starstress
By Asura.Starstress 2009-03-14 17:29:05  
Kaindragoon said:
Kelia said:

/bow, thank you
im still working on getting more stuff as is to better myself, but if this wasnt my first job to 75 what would you change? (i dont want scorp harness)
*note: going for chivilous chain, amement mantle +1, and Tabin boots+1

edit: hmm... guess it wants to show my nin gear now >< oh well, let me get a list of my stuffs...

60drg/30sam

bibi shell for jump macros :) get all vit u can get
 Asura.Starstress
By Asura.Starstress 2009-03-14 17:34:24  
75 gear will b easy lol cop rings toau ring etheral brutal legs feet swift belt.. and awesome relic for macros xD never wore crow tho lol always kept to attk+ and such
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-03-14 17:56:25  
I like the idea of the crow. but I cant imagine the legs would work, you'd need a bigger peice like the head/body for a decent effect.. but I have a fear of crow head.. and when THF's TA my ninja while wearing it in parties..