First Page 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19
 Ramuh.Scizor
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2010-10-27 14:54:05  
Hades.Eliane said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Eliii which part of the UK are you in? We need more brits in this thread.

Just south of newcastle.

Brits unite!
Wait Wait...just south as in Durham/Darlington :O
 Odin.Liela
サーバ: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-10-27 14:58:30  
Thanks loads Ninian! My dnc is only 57 but I plan to level it next. I was hoping to be able to use a lot of my thf's gear on dnc. This guide will come in very handy as I level up. ^^
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-27 14:58:52  
Gemah said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Gilgamesh.Thedreamer said:

Lava/kusha rings would be better for a tp set

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

No. Rajas + Acc etc > Lava/Kusha, almost always.

hmm why ?
+12 acc +12 attack compare to 7 acc and 5dex ?

Rajas will let you get to 100% TP in one less hit, increasing your WS frequency. Always a good thing.

This guide basically says you're an idiot for using a WS, though.

That statement I made was a general fact.

That being said, it's obvious that you will use your TP more on other tasks, on DNC, if you're playing the support role. (which is usually the case as Ninian stated)

I'm fairly certain that Ninian did not completely ignored WSs, in case you were in a situation that allowed you to do that more; she did touch on the subject. In that case, the increased WS frequency is always relevant.

Also, even mostly ignoring WSs, more StoreTP will still give you more TP per hit. More TP is always good for DNC.

In general, Rajas ring + acc ring will be the way to go for TP.
[+]
By Gemah 2010-10-27 15:04:27  
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Gemah said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

Lava/kusha rings would be better for a tp set

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

No. Rajas + Acc etc > Lava/Kusha, almost always.

hmm why ?
+12 acc +12 attack compare to 7 acc and 5dex ?

Rajas will let you get to 100% TP in one less hit, increasing your WS frequency. Always a good thing.

This guide basically says you're an idiot for using a WS, though.

That statement I made was a general fact.

That being said, it's obvious that you will use your TP more on other tasks, on DNC, if you're playing the support role. (which is usually the case as Ninian stated)

I'm fairly certain that Ninian did not completely ignored WSs, in case you were in a situation that allowed you to do that more; she did touch on the subject. In that case the increased WS frequency is always relevant.

Also, even mostly ignoring WSs, more StoreTP will still give more TP per hit. More TP is always good for DNC.

In general, Rajas ring + acc ring will be the way to good for TP.

My bad, I wasn't saying those other two rings are better than Rajas + acc (which is what I do), because it's pretty obvious Rajas should go in one of those spots.
 Bismarck.Zagen
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2010-10-27 15:26:06  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
-Waltz-

Get an Anwig Salade. Now. I don't care if you're poor, I don't care if your mommy doesn't want to pay for it, go mow some lawns and buy the expansion. It is an absolute MUST. Must must must must must. If you have another augment for another job, FIX IT. If you love that job more than DNC, stop playing DNC. You need this hat with -waltz timer. So, so much.

Do you have the hat? No? Get it. Yes? Okay, let's continue.

Curing Waltz 3 has a base recast of 10 seconds, with the hat that becomes 8 seconds. Now to use Anwig to the fullest that means you're using Curing Waltz 3 every 8 seconds. Because the moment you don't have to use it every 8 seconds Relic Hat is better. How so? Simple if you don't need to use Curing Waltz 3 every 8 seconds the hat becomes useless while Relic is still curing more HP which also means you will have to Waltz less often due to restoring more HP per use.

First question is; What the hell are you doing that requires 400-500 HP cured every 8 seconds on the dot?

Second question is; Even with -Enmity Gear do you honestly believe needing to cure every 8 seconds won't have you tanking?

Other than advocating Anwig over Relic head pretty good guide.
[+]
 Titan.Lillica
サーバ: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-10-27 15:47:20  
Damn good guide Nini, lots of stuff I wish I had and will work towards getting.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 16:16:45  
Bismarck.Zagen said:
First question is; What the hell are you doing that requires 400-500 HP cured every 8 seconds on the dot?
Main healing, basically.

If you don't need it, don't use it, simple as that... Macros are cool like that. But when you do need the Waltz Anwig (and you will if your DD are playing aggressively like they should be), it's of exponentially greater value than Etoile Tiara.

Quote:
Second question is; Even with -Enmity Gear do you honestly believe needing to cure every 8 seconds won't have you tanking?
It very well may put you into a tanking position, hence her strong recommendation of /NIN.
[+]
 Siren.Stewie
サーバ: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2010-10-27 16:20:52  
Bismarck.Zagen said:

Playing optimally?
[+]
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2010-10-27 16:39:29  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Main healing, basically.
I've main healed with good and bad DDs, mostly Abyssea EXP grinds, since I'm on BLU for NMs. I've never run into a case where I "needed" waltz the moment it was up on a regular basis. There were a few times I felt rushed but nothing life or death.
Siren.Stewie said:
Playing optimally?
In my experience generally the more aggressive/optimal a party of DDs are the faster the mob dies meaning it has less chances to hit anyone, thus reducing my need to spam waltzes not increase it.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If you don't need it, don't use it, simple as that... Macros are cool like that. But when you do need the Waltz Anwig (and you will if your DD are playing aggressively like they should be), it's of exponentially greater value than Etoile Tiara.
This is a much better way of talking about Waltz Anwig then essentially insisting it is a "must have", "quit now until you have it" item.
[+]
 Siren.Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2010-10-27 16:47:39  
Bismarck.Zagen In said:

You're killing stuff fast enough for it to not get on ws off? We're talking BRD COR DNC DD DD DD pts right?

I guess it'd be possible in abyssea alli's though.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-27 16:57:09  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Currently the absolute BEST DNC TP set is as follows. Cavaros Mantle is probably a better back nowadays because of Atma of the Razed Ruin.
If you happen to be a COR as well as a DNC like me who uses Mirke for QD purposes, an alternative to DW Body with Bullwhip Belt is the Nusku's Sash with Rapparee harness, putting you at 20% added Dual Wield with 23% Haste. It's a .1 second difference in attack speed with double march, haste, haste samba (Lv5)
Mars Ring in place of Toreadors too~
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-27 17:00:23  
I totally saw that post Night ^
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2010-10-27 17:01:57  
Siren.Stewie said:

You're killing stuff fast enough for it to not get on ws off? We're talking BRD COR DNC DD DD DD pts right?

Actually last night it was DRK, DRG, WAR, WAR, DNC, SMN vs. worms in La Thaine and things died most of the time in about 30 seconds. With all the buffs in Abyssea you don't "need" a BRD and/or COR to be "optimal", do they help make people even better? Sure but then things die even faster.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:03:35  
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
I totally saw that post Night ^
Posted combination should be better unless you need Loki's accuracy, didn't feel like leaving it up. It did remind me to alter the comment in the posted TP set though... DW/DA isn't a bad combination either, and it's what I'll be using instead of DW/STP.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:05:41  
Bismarck.Zagen said:
Siren.Stewie said:

Actually last night it was DRK, DRG, WAR, WAR, DNC, SMN vs. worms in La Thaine and things died most of the time in about 30 seconds. With all the buffs in Abyssea you don't "need" a BRD and/or COR to be "optimal", do they help make people even better? Sure but then things die even faster.
This post makes my head hurt. How exactly do you go about being optimal without using the better setup? Also, what subs where people using?
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-10-27 17:19:34  
Bismarck.Zagen said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Main healing, basically.
I've main healed with good and bad DDs, mostly Abyssea EXP grinds, since I'm on BLU for NMs. I've never run into a case where I "needed" waltz the moment it was up on a regular basis. There were a few times I felt rushed but nothing life or death.
Siren.Stewie said:
Playing optimally?
In my experience generally the more aggressive/optimal a party of DDs are the faster the mob dies meaning it has less chances to hit anyone, thus reducing my need to spam waltzes not increase it.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
This is a much better way of talking about Waltz Anwig then essentially insisting it is a "must have", "quit now until you have it" item.

It depends on the situation, of course. I have a toggle for Etoile Tiara, but to be quite honest even if I *didn't* need to recast instantly at 8sec, I'd rather have the option instead of killing someone. I'm usually in life-or-death situations, my MNKs are fulltiming counter-stance, so their defense is paper. If my timer isn't up because I misjudged the situation, it's my fault and I'm the one who's going to get yelled at. I do not enjoy getting yelled at. If you need your waltzes to be TP efficient, you're probably not getting proper buffs in which case you should kindly ask for a Haste. Or do what I do... "HASTE"....

And I don't care what anyone says, Waltz- Anwig is a must have. At the VERY least for Healing Waltz, do you disagree?
[+]
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2010-10-27 17:27:57  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Zagen said:
Siren.Stewie said:

This post makes my head hurt. How exactly do you go about being optimal without using the better setup? Also, what subs where people using?
I look at it 2 ways players playing a job optimally and a party being an optimal setup. You don't need an optimal setup for the old abyssea zones to work for EXPing if most of the setup is made of optimal players.

I don't recall the DRK(I would guess /WAR or /SAM since they took damage regularly) but the rest of the DD were /SAM. The SMN I think was /RDM not sure tbh as they were usually off 2 houring mobs.

Edit:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
At the VERY least for Healing Waltz, do you disagree?
I do agree it is awesome for Healing Waltz in those situations where you get hit with multiple debuffs regularly. But then again to me that's "situational" not "must have".

Looking back I guess issue really is that you're using your play style and opinion to define a must have item in a guide not the fact that the benefits far out weigh those of other items because in some cases Waltz Anwig > Relic but most of the time it doesn't, it can be on par, or worse depending on the situation.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:28:59  
Bismarck.Zagen said:
I look at it 2 ways players playing a job optimally and a party being an optimal setup. You don't need an optimal setup for the old abyssea zones to work for EXPing if most of the setup is made of optimal players.
That doesn't answer the question.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-10-27 17:35:12  
nobody's disputing that a non-optimal setup can WORK, but you're saying that you don't need to be optimal to be optimal.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-27 17:39:35  
Bismarck.Zagen said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Zagen said:
Siren.Stewie said:

The mistake was in this statement that you made:

Bismarck.Zagen said:
With all the buffs in Abyssea you don't "need" a BRD and/or COR to be "optimal"

Do you know what the word "optimal" really means?

Bismarck.Zagen said:
I don't recall the DRK(I would guess /WAR or /SAM since they took damage regularly) but the rest of the DD were /SAM. The SMN I think was /RDM not sure tbh as they were usually off 2 houring mobs.

/WAR is bad for DRK. If the DRK was /sam... he shouldn't take anymore damage than the other DD/sams in the PT, as long as he knows how to play the job.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:40:07  
Bismarck.Zagen said:
I do agree it is awesome for Healing Waltz in those situations where you get hit with multiple debuffs regularly.
Wait, wait, wait... Did I miss an update where they split Waltz recasts?
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2010-10-27 17:44:18  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

That doesn't answer the question.
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
nobody's disputing that a non-optimal setup can WORK, but you're saying that you don't need to be optimal to be optimal.
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Do you know what the word "optimal" really means?
Do you?

op·ti·mal definition
Pronunciation: /ˈäp-tə-məl/
Function: adj
: most desirable or satisfactory

Note the word satisfactory in other words the best of the best is not required to be optimal.

I was just stating that in the setup I had with what I considered optimal DDs last night things died very fast and didn't require me to spam Waltz riding the recast. Which is about the same experience I've had in a 3x DD, 2x Buffer, DNC setup. Thus to me it performed optimally. Was it the most optimal? No, but I never said that either.
[+]
 Siren.Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2010-10-27 17:45:50  
most satisfactory. Not just satisfactory.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:48:09  
Believe it or not, that "most" applies to both "desirable" and "satifactory". And what the *** is "most optimal"? Most most desirable?

Learn to shot logic and English, then come back and try to present a sound argument. Thanks.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-27 17:48:46  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Zagen said:
I do agree it is awesome for Healing Waltz in those situations where you get hit with multiple debuffs regularly.
No, he just meant it was nice for the 15 second recast :x
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-27 17:49:28  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Zagen said:
I know what he meant, but it's good every time you pop Healing Waltz, not just when they're getting debuffed frequently.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-27 17:50:31  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Zagen said:
I know what he meant, but it's good when you're using Healing Waltz and Curing Waltz as well, not just when you're using only Healing Waltz.
You act like you didn't ask a question >_>
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-10-27 17:50:31  
but that's 15 seconds you can't cure yourself either if they're on the same timer.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-27 17:52:15  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
but that's 15 seconds you can't cure yourself either if they're on the same timer.
Thanks, I think every DNC here needed that explained. :|
/sarcasm
First Page 2 3 4 ... 17 18 19