Ninian's DNC Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-25 12:05:54  
Cerberus.Littlewolftamer said:
Public opinion on my Tier 2 merit choice that I'm expecting to go. I do mostly solo and duoing with my DNC, so setting up for that. Was planning:

4 Closed, 3 NFR, 3 Fan Dance. My other alternative was dropping a fan dance for capped closed position. Which would you go with, or something different completely?

my opinion is 5/5 CP 3 NFR and 1 each for fan/saber dance.
 Fenrir.Niniann
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-07-25 12:17:08  
I'd almost forgotten Terp is a good heal!DNC dagger. I agree though it's pretty! Have fun getting that! D:

As for merits, I'm pretty sure Byrth was the one who tested that anything more than 1/5 in Saber/Fan didn't do all that much(besides obvious reapplying freedom)? That said it's entirely up to you, there's no right or wrong answer.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-25 12:23:29  
to get full use out of meriting saber dance i think you'd need to get the recast to like 1 1/2 minute? which you can't do. the double attack decays really fast.

if you're gonna solo, at least right now, you shouldn't need more than one fan dance. most mobs are gonna whiff so much that you're recast will be up. more likely than not you're gonna get bored of evading so much and you'll cancel fan dance for haste samba. you'll end up with more tp to cure with anyway. fan dance is really only good for physical moves that will one shot you, i.e. gorge/disgorge and death scissors. other than that you wont really need it and you should be stunning any of the tp moves you can.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-25 12:24:40  
Yeah, the difference between 1/5 and 5/5 Saber Dance is an average of 1% DA.

I personally don't see the value in having more than 1/5 Fan Dance. Activation only matters at all for the first 7 hits (90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 50%, 40%, 30%) and after that you're at the 20% floor, and only really stategically matters for the first three (if you're using it to eat 4000 needles, ruinous scythe, or spike flail or something). I don't know, blowing merit points on it seems like a waste to me.

I'm 5/5 CP, 2/5 Saber Dance, 2/5 NFR, 1/5 Fan Dance. I might swap more to NFR, but I still like my 2/5 rationale.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-07-25 12:25:35  
Ragnarok.Hevans said:
Cerberus.Littlewolftamer said:
Public opinion on my Tier 2 merit choice that I'm expecting to go. I do mostly solo and duoing with my DNC, so setting up for that. Was planning:

4 Closed, 3 NFR, 3 Fan Dance. My other alternative was dropping a fan dance for capped closed position. Which would you go with, or something different completely?

my opinion is 5/5 CP 3 NFR and 1 each for fan/saber dance.

this is what i've heard, and am in the process of doing myself.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-25 12:27:01  
3 NFR is 1 step away from 5 steps for 100 tp return. you shouldn't ever really NEED 5/5 nfr. some of us just like different things. the difference is gonna be so small it wont matter. i just prefer the extra eva/acc over the extra 2 finishing moves.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-25 12:38:23  
Eh, I always do Presto -> Step -> Step, or Presto -> NFR -> Step. I don't see the point in 3 NFR
 Cerberus.Littlewolftamer
user: wolftamer
By Cerberus.Littlewolftamer 2011-07-25 13:09:41  
Thanks for the tips guys. Personally, I struggling to see how saber dance would be handy at all in a solo situation. The lack of waltzes somehow seems....bad, lol. Am I missing something?
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-25 13:11:01  
it's just for extra damage. sometimes you want to kill something fast. pop saber dance at 30% and do a self skillchain to take a mob out before it gets to go crazy and spammy.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-25 13:35:35  
Yeah, Saber Dance is something like damage+15%. If you can use Saber Dance, you should use Saber Dance. Most ***can't hit us anyway.

To give an example, last night I was "duoing" Long-Armed Chariot with my mule. I did it like this:
1) Mule buffs me, I put on Haste Samba, and then engage LAC.
2) Saber Dance -> build TP to 100% with 3 FMs, Presto available, and NFR up.
3) Presto -> Climactic -> Step -> NFR -> Rudra's -> Reverse -> Rudra's
4) Build TP to 100% and as many finishing moves as I can
5) Viper Bite before the next 25% multiple (75%, 50%, 25%)
5b) If not close, Reverse and WS to force Brainjack.
6) At the 25% multiple, he'll Brainjack me.
7) Mule has done nothing since I engaged, so it has no hate. I just sit there and watch the DoT eat me slowly.
8) Uncharm and supertank it while the mule casts Cure 4 once, repeat from Step 1.
9) Sit around and marvel at how simple this strategy is compared to the kiting shitshow that LAC always used to turn into.

Point is, we take almost no damage and put out a lot of damage with Saber Dance up. If I can kill LAC with a Cure IV once every 3 minutes, I'm just screwing myself by not using Saber Dance. I got 300 Lizard killshots with fewer than 10 Cure IVs for my Fusetto +2. Even if I had to drop Saber Dance once every 30 killshots, it would still be worth meritting.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-25 14:12:36  
Gonna ask here caus I didnt found a specific thread and I dont wanna start a new one.

Evisceration atmas? RR/GH/SS or RR/GH/VV or any other best combination?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-25 14:14:00  
SS is better than VV.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-25 14:16:28  
i'm super picky. i tend to swap my atmas around depending on what i'm doing. i'll go to the npc to change it for farming or a nm fight.
 Cerberus.Vaness
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-07-25 14:18:04  
Lakshmi.Byrth said:
SS is better than VV.
Yeah I guess I found where my error was.I don't do 3k evisceration very often and with the gears I have it's a bit disapointing.

TY tho!
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2011-07-25 14:21:33  
SS seems to be the best 3rd atma for DNC damage (over the other option, Apoc), at least. Byrth may be able to back me up or formally prove me wrong, I'm sure he's done the math. I haven't, I'm just eyeballing.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-25 14:29:23  
Well, I'm somewhat biased in my eyeballing because I like seeing 8k Rudra's, but I do think SS is technically our best third Atma for damage. Honestly, I choose my third Atma based on the defensive bonuses they offer most of the time:
Sanguine Scythe - HP +200~300
Apoc - Instant Reraise
Dark Depths - 30 Evasion

In my opinion, if you're using Sanguine Scythe + AGI Kila +2 to tank something, you'd do more damage if you used Dark Depths + STR Kila +2.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2011-07-25 14:30:28  
Lakshmi.Byrth said:
Well, I'm somewhat biased in my eyeballing because I like seeing 8k Rudra's, but I do think SS is technically our best third Atma for damage. Honestly, I choose my third Atma based on the defensive bonuses they offer most of the time:
Sanguine Scythe - HP +200~300
Apoc - Instant Reraise
Dark Depths - 30 Evasion

In my opinion, if you're using Sanguine Scythe + AGI Kila +2 to tank something, you'd do more damage if you used Dark Depths + STR Kila +2.

dark depths is just sex. it's so underrated imo.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-07-25 15:06:22  
If I'm feeling lazy, Multisend isn't working, or I don't know what exactly I'll be doing, I take Dark Depths every time.
 Cerberus.Littlewolftamer
By Cerberus.Littlewolftamer 2011-07-31 09:30:03  
I take it I would be correct in assuming Alcide's harness +1 would be better than SH+1 for a solo/evasion set?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-08-07 23:38:09  
for tp gain...

calmecac trousers

or

charis tights +2

is it situational? i would think the tights +2 would be better because of the ODD, but if haste was capped would calmecac pull ahead? basically asking if to use or not, and if so when to use! :D
By AlkalineJoe 2011-08-07 23:40:06  
Where are you making up that 2% in dropped haste?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-08-07 23:47:23  
AlkalineJoe said:
Where are you making up that 2% in dropped haste?

item set from OP

but then i realized i miscounted the haste, with calmecac substituted it would give 24% haste? blah

too sick/hungover to do math ><

edit: i counted 25% at first, and if i remember correctly its actually a little over 25%, not 1 full % but enough of a difference to be there, however i thought 3% TA > half of a point of haste but whatever its all moot i spose
By AlkalineJoe 2011-08-07 23:51:09  
Yeah, that's my TP set too. It's pretty much the ideal TP set, puts you perfectly at 26%.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-08-07 23:53:38  
dear god cam's are 2% haste TRIPLE ATTACK not even 3%

im just gonna stop posting for tonight >< cant even gather my own thoughts
 Cerberus.Nyanoh
By Cerberus.Nyanoh 2011-08-08 07:53:07  
With Abyssea, atmas, etc etc, and now Saltena, what is the best way to skill parry? It's the only important stat on my DNC that isn't capped. I'd really like to get it up there.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-08-22 15:52:45  
hey have any of u parsed calmecac trousers for tp yet?

was wondering if this tp build would beat the 4/5 af3+2 tp for dnc?

Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-22 16:07:22  
It depends what you're fighting. You give up a lot of evasion/accuracy/attack for 2% DA/TA. I personally wouldn't bother with it.
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-08-22 16:12:34  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
It depends what you're fighting. You give up a lot of evasion/accuracy/attack for 2% DA/TA. I personally wouldn't bother with it.

ok the accuracy im not so much concerned about considering the physical accuracy job traits of dancer. is 8 attack really that much of a trade off.

i guess its really a 8attack 15 evasion vs DA2 TA2.

this setup would be more optimal than the one above for DDing

Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-22 16:16:47  
It's 13 Attack, 20 Evasion, 7 STP, and 19~20 Acc with 2% double damage from AF3 set bonus vs. 2% DA and 2% TA.

If Dancer ever goes back to a full-on supporting roll, it might be worth it in a party (along with Mextli Harness) when you know you won't have hate and your main goal is to keep up TP and keep your party alive.

Also, Oneiros Ring's latent is MP>100 or something, which you wouldn't have unless you have full MP merits.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-08-22 16:24:06  
oooo nvm i forgot about the dagger skill on the +2 legs. "/slap" my own face.... duh... nvm and yah i have full mp merits. so i like that ring atm
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19