Do You Believe In Psychics?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Do you believe in Psychics?
Do you believe in Psychics?
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:05:03  
About 2 years ago Richard hawkins interviewed a famous illusionist, mentalist, painter, writer, and sceptic called Derren Brown.

The Interview is about 55 minutes long, and it covers Psychics, Religion and various other psychological debates.

By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:05:10  

So basically, do you believe in Psychics? Personally I think it is just psychology at play.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 17:08:38  
Scientifically some of it should be theoretically possible.... If it actually exist yet is another story
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:09:48  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Scientifically some of it should be theoretically possible.... If it actually exist yet is another story

The thing is, most people use Cold reading, and sadly people fall into the trap of believing it.
[+]
By BorealisV2 2010-09-21 17:11:48  
Derren Brown is a *** genius.

And I share the same feelings on the matter as Dasva.
By Artemicion 2010-09-21 17:12:05  
I've heard some crazy stories and seen some relatively accurate predictions/fortune telling but the key is to be vague enough to fall into a wide gap of plausible outcome, yet specific enough to have people think it's a sixth sense at work.

If anything, psychic ability is an acute sense of observation and mathematics in circumstance to determine potential outcome.
[+]
By BorealisV2 2010-09-21 17:13:28  
Artemicion said:
I've heard some crazy stories and seen some relatively accurate predictions/fortune telling but the key is to be vague enough to fall into a wide gap of plausible outcome, yet specific enough to have people think it's a sixth sense at work.

If anything, psychic ability is an acute sense of observation and mathematics in circumstance to determine potential outcome.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:13:37  
I suppose I should rephrase then:

Do you believe in a spiritual essence that can in fact make you psychic? Talking to spirits for example.
 Asura.Poupee
サーバ: Asura
user: Lian
By Asura.Poupee 2010-09-21 17:13:39  
they exist.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 17:13:44  
Artemicion said:
Exactly. We sense and process ALOT more than we are aware.
[+]
By BorealisV2 2010-09-21 17:14:56  
Flionheart said:

Do you believe in a spiritual essence that can in fact make you psychic? Talking to spirits for example.

No.
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:15:38  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Artemicion said:

Very good point. I've always assumed that people who get 'feelings' simply are more aware of what they observe sub consciously.

What about Horoscopes? Now personally I have no belief as it is simply cold reading.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-21 17:16:09  
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 17:18:06  
I kinda believe something like ESP and/or telekenetics may exist. I've always thought that people who have a mental issue have some sort of ESP, kinda like how an autistic kid I knew would become seriously strong, when he was mad. Or my cousin, who has some sort of shell-shock, dimentia, psychosis or something. I can't argue based on him because I've only heard things, but never seen/heard. Another thing I've always thought could be psychic phenomena was phantom limb/organ syndrome, in which the brain feels a limb or organ (an eye, for example) that is no longer attached. The sensation has been described as an itching, a burning, a sharp pain, or a bending, as if the limb was bending in an unnatural way (like a leg bending mid-thigh). Dunno.
By Artemicion 2010-09-21 17:18:38  
Flionheart said:

That one I have to sit on the fence for.
I'm gonna put that under the "things beyond human understanding/comprehension" file.
 Kujata.Daus
サーバ: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2010-09-21 17:21:33  
PINEAPPLES

but newp, I believe the mentalist and psych pretty much cover my idea of how psychics work...ish..
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 17:24:52  
Flionheart said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Artemicion said:
Very good point. I've always assumed that people who get 'feelings' simply are more aware of what they observe sub consciously. What about Horoscopes?

Now personally I have no belief as it is simply cold reading.
I do believe things are alot more interconnected than people think. And finding these patterns is what people are really doing. Gogo Determinism. But the degree of specificity you can find is largely determined by the amount and quality of stuff inputed so yeah not really. Hell people do it all the time really on different scales. Like how some poeple can just feel/tell how the weather is going to be.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-21 17:25:46  
I enjoyed the show Lie to Me

I read a lot more into body language anyway lol.
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-21 17:27:09  
Flionheart said:
I suppose I should rephrase then: Do you believe in a spiritual essence that can in fact make you psychic? Talking to spirits for example.
Nope not even a little.

Do ppl believe in ghosts?

Sorry to steal thread with another question but I am curious.

So do you believe in ghosts?
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:29:07  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I enjoyed the show Lie to Me

I read a lot more into body language anyway lol.

I like Lie to me, I found it really informative in fact.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:35:58  
OH DAMN....

i thought you said Physics at first...i was about to go on a giant diatribe about how a mentalist could debate physics....

then i re-read and saw psychic...

Theoretically, it is possible that some humans could develop mental powers to "read minds" and very unlikely, move objects.

However precognition and the later is merely a combination of sensory perception that we are simply not aware of.

And i do not believe in ANYTHING spiritual giving you powers.

As for horescopes, those are just vague generalities that can apply to anyone. You can read any months 'scope and feel like the applies to you. They are complete rubbish. Fun..but rubbish nonetheless
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-09-21 17:36:42  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Flionheart said:
I suppose I should rephrase then: Do you believe in a spiritual essence that can in fact make you psychic? Talking to spirits for example.
Nope not even a little.

Not in the traditional sense. That's just silly. But people do affect things and it should be possible to read that if it's large enough and someone was sensitive enough. Basically Psychometry should be Theoretically possible
By Flionheart 2010-09-21 17:38:49  
Another one, do you believe in Mediums?
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-21 17:38:53  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Flionheart said:
Nope not even a little.

If you're a religious person, you likely believe in good spirits and bad spirits.

If you're not religious, you likely don't believe in that stuff. (although some people still may)
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-21 17:40:21  
Flionheart said:
Gunna hafta go with No again.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-21 17:40:31  
Flionheart said:

I like 'em petite, TBH.

Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:41:15  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Flionheart said:
Nope not even a little.

Not at all. Im a naturalist. I don't believe in anything supernatural. It's ludicrous to make a supposition from nothing.

Ghosts are merely an invention of humans because we became the Apex predator with out becoming an Apex animal. We are a prey animal with nothing natural to fear, so we create fear. Humans love to be afraid, its part of why we have survived so long.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2010-09-21 17:42:14  
Flionheart said:

Spritiual mediums? no

people who can read others and discern information not readily available, yes.
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-09-21 17:42:39  
There are stuff that seems we instinctively feel, kind of like how animals can mysteriously tell an earthquake is about to happen.
Surely humans can do it too but I feel its more of a subconscious thing. Being able to control it would surely be incredibly hard to do.

lol and at first i read the thread title "do you believe in physics?"
XD <_> /derp..
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-21 17:43:33  
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Flionheart said:
Nope not even a little. Do ppl believe in ghosts? Sorry to steal thread with another question but I am curious. So do you believe in ghosts?
If you're a religious person, you likely believe in good spirits and bad spirits. If you're not religious, you likely don't believe in that stuff. (although some people still may)
Spirits and Ghosts the same thing?
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13