フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » Am i doin it wrong ? lol
Am i doin it wrong ? lol
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Lakshmi.Priestsan
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Priestsan
By Lakshmi.Priestsan 2010-05-30 21:17:18  
So Dnc has long been my most favorite job in FFXI, and ive neglected it for too long. Have taken 5 jobs 1-75 and done a few subjobs since i got it to 75 and honestly i kinda stopped playin it when it hit 75 other than for campaign. So what i wanna know is how does my dnc gear look to you, my fellow dancers ?

Merits (dnc spec) 5/5 haste samba, 3/5 reverse flourish
3/5 No foot rise, 1 saber, 1 fan dance
(im currently working on capping no foot rise and reverse)

Acc gear:
Azoth, joyeuse, af weapon
O.hat, PCC, Brutal, suppa
SH, cobra, Raja's, Sniper
Cuch, Virtuoso, AF+1, cobra

Haste gear: (needs a lil work)
Azoth, Joy, AF
Turban, Pcc, brutal, suppa
rappare, dusk, raja, sniper
Cuch, headlong(need swift), AF+1(until etoile), dusk

Evasion:
Azoth, joy, AF
O.hat, evasion torque, Brutal, velocity
SH, Etoile, raja, sniper
Corse cape, Virtuoso(till i get scouters), Crow, AF

i do know that gear isnt everything, most of what dnc does is more based on skill. I dont claim to be the best, but i do think im doin pretty well, anything my fellow dancers have to offer in the form of advice, tips, or even flames cause i suck... i dont care, bring it on, i can take it. =) thanks guys.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-30 21:39:00  
I'm putting 5/5 in NFR (currently 2) and Closed Position(currently 1), I spend pretty much every minute of DNC Solo'ing or Duo'ing though. As for group 1, going for 5/5 Haste Samba (currently 1) and Reverse Flourish (currently 2)

As for head, I upped it one with the AMK head peice, Att+5, Acc+10, Evasion+10, Store TP+4.

I also traded off SH for ASA body piece with EVA/ATT+10, I still keep the SH on me incase I have a problem hitting something, but I mostly fulltime the ASA piece. (again, I mostly solo/duo, so the EVA/ATT trumps haste, though i do keep R. Harness on me, and do use it if I'm not being hit and/or have a couple more people already attacking my target [mostly CB's])

I JUST got sea like 3 days ago, so I'm yet to get any sea equipment, I do use Velocity though. For back, I'm afraid I'm still rocking A. Mantle +1 (I just recently came back to nothing, so I'm working my way up)

Maybe you can get some use outta this, I'm not known to be the type to just conform to whatever everyone else says I must have though.. I enjoy the job, and I'm going for what makes it more enjoyable for me, not what everyone else thinks I need to have to be more efficient (once again solo/duo with a friend, lol.)

EDIT: Fixed <_<

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I'm currently using Azoth and Behemoth Dagger, it will soon be replaced by Magian Trial that gives +12 Evasion, and hopefully, eventually the trial dagger will be replaced by Ermine's tail, and even someday, maybe I'll even break down and add a Adder Jambiya into the mix.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-30 21:43:30  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I'm putting 5/5 in NFR (currently 2) and Closed Position(currently 1), I spend pretty much every minute of DNC Solo'ing or Duo'ing though. As for group 1, going for 5/5 Haste Samba (currently 1) and Building Flourish (currently 2)
Stopped here, sorry. Building Flourish is one of those rare merits that actually has a negative impact, relatively speaking; you'd be far better off with Reverse Flourish merits.

OP's gear looks good to me, I'll let others give a y/n on merits but I think that's an accepted setup as well. Should be able to use the haste setup most anywhere you'd take a DNC provided you use sushi, maybe swapping in the Cobra Harness for acc since Joyeuse acc is kinda going to suck.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-30 21:46:46  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I'm putting 5/5 in NFR (currently 2) and Closed Position(currently 1), I spend pretty much every minute of DNC Solo'ing or Duo'ing though. As for group 1, going for 5/5 Haste Samba (currently 1) and Building Flourish (currently 2)
Stopped here, sorry. Building Flourish is one of those rare merits that actually has a negative impact, relatively speaking; you'd be far better off with Reverse Flourish merits.

OP's gear looks good to me, I'll let others give a y/n on merits but I think that's an accepted setup as well. Should be able to use the haste setup most anywhere you'd take a DNC provided you use sushi, maybe swapping in the Cobra Harness for acc since Joyeuse acc is kinda going to suck.

Errr! Sorry, kinda tired, that's what I meant.. I'm a TP *** :X
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-30 21:49:02  
Get a Tiphia Sting.
Get a Boxer's mantle for eva+
Get moogle hat with -waltz timer

I'm not sure what your accuracy set's for.... steps? If so you should be macroing in your AF hands. There's really no reason to have a full ACC set for tping in, but it's nice for steps, flourish, etc etc.

You should have a set for steps, you should have a set for waltz potency.

There are better upgrades for everything you have, but you're not doing it wrong.

Group 1 merits are perfect, Group 2 is really whatever you want (with NFR capped).

If you want to ask anymore questions let me know. You can sell your Azoth and get that augment fight dagger (assuming you get a decent one) and get some gil back, or work towards a Dakani.

Ragnarok.Flippant
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-05-30 21:53:22  
A lot of people cap Closed Position and just leaving NFR at 3/5. I capped NFR when it first came out--like literally just went for it immediately and did nothing else until it was capped. Later I realized this wasn't a very good idea; it's hard to find a time that you need 5 Finishing Moves and don't already have some up. And any time that situation exists, you probably just used Reverse Flourish and have to wait another 30 seconds anyway, and you're better of using two steps in the meantime.

So almost the only time I use NFR is if I end up sacrificing 1-2 Finishing moves from it (like I already have 1-2) just to make it feel like I actually merited it for a reason, or if I'm not currently fighting anything. Most of the time though, I forget it's even there. I guess, basically, it's good if you miss a step and hit NFR to make up for it.

Closed Position might not look like much, but it adds up and it's better than capped NFR will do you in the end. I doubt I'll go back and change mine myself because I have 400 other merits to concern myself with first, but maybe one of these far distant years I'll actually finish those and get to it :x

You could also go for capped Fan or Saber as well, depending on how you play DNC yourself.
 Lakshmi.Priestsan
By Lakshmi.Priestsan 2010-05-30 21:55:30  
I have to admit im with Night on the building flourish merits, to me they would be a total waste of time since i dont see myself as a DD of any type on dnc. Im just there to apply haste samba and heal. Im a support guy, if i wanna DD i'll change to sam. I do have a WS set for dnc though (primarily cause the stuff i used on thf ws) but rarely do i ws when in a party unless i make it to 300tp (which is rare if im main healing)

As far as joyeuse's acc, i dont like it too much either, which is why im morking on the OAT Magian dagger (145 Hippos left on trial 11 ><). Even though its proc rate isnt quite as high as Joyeuse, the 40+ skill dnc has in dagger over sword i think makes up for it. I'd rather swing 50 times and land 45 hits than swing 50 times and land 40, if that makes sense. I also probably shoulda mentioned that i do have the cobra harness i just usually tend to use SH in my acc setups cause i hate the way that thing looks, lol.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-30 21:55:40  
Ragnarok.Flippant said:
A lot of people cap Closed Position and just leaving NFR at 3/5. I capped NFR when it first came out--like literally just went for it immediately and did nothing else until it was capped. Later I realized this wasn't a very good idea; it's hard to find a time that you need 5 Finishing Moves and don't already have some up. And any time that situation exists, you probably just used Reverse Flourish and have to wait another 30 seconds anyway, and you're better of using two steps in the meantime.

So almost the only time I use NFR is if I end up sacrificing 1-2 Finishing moves from it (like I already have 1-2) just to make it feel like I actually merited it for a reason, or if I'm not currently fighting anything. Most of the time though, I forget it's even there. I guess, basically, it's good if you miss a step and hit NFR to make up for it.

Closed Position might not look like much, but it adds up and it's better than capped NFR will do you in the end. I doubt I'll go back and change mine myself because I have 400 other merits to concern myself with first, but maybe one of these far distant years I'll actually finish those and get to it :x

You could also go for capped Fan or Saber as well, depending on how you play DNC yourself.

This, but even closed position depends. I can't melee things from the front ever mostly because of cones, etc etc. I guess it depends on what you use dnc for.

Edit: @Priest, if you're healing and you're at 300TP... just keep it there. People die really fast for no apparent reason, and it's ALWAYS when you decide to WS. I just stopped for that reason.

Athame is amazing. I love mine. *kisses my Athame*.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-30 22:00:24  
/throws away your Athame
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-30 22:01:20  
; -;
By Mexichu 2010-05-30 22:01:36  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Get a Tiphia Sting.
Get a Boxer's mantle for eva

I'm not sure what your accuracy set's for.... steps? If so you should be macroing in your AF hands. There's really no reason to have a full ACC set for tping in, but it's nice for steps, flourish, etc etc.

There are better upgrades for everything you have, but you're not doing it wrong.

Group 1 merits are perfect, Group 2 is really whatever you want (with NFR capped).

If you want to ask anymore questions let me know. You can sell your Azoth and get that augment fight dagger (assuming you get a decent one) and get some gil back, or work towards a Dakani.
Listen to this person
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-30 22:01:40  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Ragnarok.Flippant said:

This, but even closed position depends. I can't melee things from the front ever mostly because of cones, etc etc. I guess it depends on what you use dnc for.

Edit: @Priest, if you're healing and you're at 300TP... just keep it there. People die really fast for no apparent reason, and it's ALWAYS when you decide to WS. I just stopped for that reason.

Athame is amazing. I love mine. *kisses my Athame*.

I can't begin to describe how true that is... >.< Makes it even worse that I've spent the majority of my FFXI career as RDM and a large portion of that main healing or picking up the slack of the main healer because they can't do their job right..

I wanted Athame too, but I will settle for nothing less then the one with that involves 10 of Ruthven's Nails, and, yeah, I'll never see them, so I settled with going for the +12 Evasion Dakini instead.
 Lakshmi.Priestsan
By Lakshmi.Priestsan 2010-05-30 22:05:14  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Get a Tiphia Sting.

the acc set is mainly for high evade thf or nin mobs, and as you said steps, in which i do macro in my af hands and relic feet. Just got back into Limbus a few days ago so im working on getting the coins gathered up for boxer's and i'll have a tiphia sting soon (i hope). For the moogle hat, i went with str,dex, ws acc, and crit damage to use as a ws hat for thf, mnk, and a disseverment/frenetic rip hat for blu. if it wasnt for using those 3 jobs often i would have went for the waltz hat.

As for waltz potentcy i do macro in af body and relic hat and a few random +CHR pieces. once i get the sting, i'll add Sonia's plectrum to that too since when using my af weapon swapping the two would lose tp.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-30 22:07:01  
People always die at the worst times. .____.

I have the good one... the Faeries aren't too bad to farm if you have a tight group of friends... just need to run from the 2hrs, lol. Still a kick in the nuts though.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2010-05-30 22:07:10  
me personally, think I'm too old-school. Dnc, I think, is a watered down Rdm that doesn't use mp. I know several pro Dnc's and have farmed with em and what-not. Idk if I could stomach doing what I know I can alot faster on thf or rdm. HOWEVER, I am all for people playin the jobs they most enjoy^^ You do, after all, pay your own montly fees to do so. This is why I don't subscribe the the "elitist" mentality after 7 years of playing. People are gonna gear as they can afford to gear, and play as they see fit, and all the power to them!! Imo, merits>gear anyday. I welcome any Novio+morrigan unmerited Blm to dispute this in any challenge. even partially merited, lol.
What I'm tryin to say I guess is that you cap the merits and forget the gear. Too many elitists stand around WG showin off their gearz but get owned on the battlefield cause you CAN'T compensate. Gear will come and go. Merits stay.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-30 22:09:19  
Lakshmi.Priestsan said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Get a Tiphia Sting.

the acc set is mainly for high evade thf or nin mobs, and as you said steps, in which i do macro in my af hands and relic feet. Just got back into Limbus a few days ago so im working on getting the coins gathered up for boxer's and i'll have a tiphia sting soon (i hope). For the moogle hat, i went with str,dex, ws acc, and crit damage to use as a ws hat for thf, mnk, and a disseverment/frenetic rip hat for blu. if it wasnt for using those 3 jobs often i would have went for the waltz hat.

As for waltz potentcy i do macro in af body and relic hat and a few random CHR pieces. once i get the sting, i'll add Sonia's plectrum to that too since when using my af weapon swapping the two would lose tp.

Good man. Seriously though, the waltz hat I'd say is needed in a lot of situations. As my bf put it when someone asked what to get on the hat--"Get -Waltz. I don't care if you have DNC or not, it's the best option. It's like getting Suppa from DM, best option."..... something like that. <_<;

(GET ITTTTTTT)
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-30 22:11:07  
inb4 Liltrouble gets banned for his avatar
By Mexichu 2010-05-30 22:11:10  
Screw Suppa, DW is dead!
 Lakshmi.Priestsan
By Lakshmi.Priestsan 2010-05-30 22:12:09  
forgot to mention in OP that i do have 2 merits in step acc, they wont be staying long though. I put them in there when i first got dnc to 75 cause i was tired of missing steps (i didnt have af yet then and relic wasnt released) so when i do get the merits to put another in reverse i'll be taking 1 from steps acc.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-05-30 22:12:15  
Siren.Enternius said:

I was thinking the same thing.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-30 22:13:38  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Siren.Enternius said:

It doesn't LOOK like there's any actual nipple-age in that tiny image but I have the full-size one (One of my JP friends actually drew it a while back) and, well, the best I can say is you should change your avatar, lol.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2010-05-30 22:13:46  
you don't like my avatar?!? I took it myself, ya know. Even though I had to stand on a stool to do it
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-30 22:14:13  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Wow, I was wondering why the one mithra had a manly looking back and screwed up the fantasy entirely.

Completely different mindsets? :D
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-05-30 22:14:53  
i wud post my sets up but idk how D:
Merits i think are best is 5/5NFR 5/5RF 4/5Closed position 1/5fandance
why nothing in saber dance? b/c once its on you cant heal and i dont want to worry about canceling it in order to heal, also if u have the OAT dagger and a joyuese why wud u use saber dance?
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-05-30 22:17:58  
someone changed that avatar fast
 Lakshmi.Priestsan
By Lakshmi.Priestsan 2010-05-30 22:18:05  
Leviathan.Niniann said:

Good man. Seriously though, the waltz hat I'd say is needed in a lot of situations. As my bf put it when someone asked what to get on the hat--"Get -Waltz. I don't care if you have DNC or not, it's the best option. It's like getting Suppa from DM, best option."..... something like that. <_<;

(GET ITTTTTTT)

Sound advice, and something ive thought very hard about in the past week. (when i finished thf75 and decided to stop exping other jobs and focus on dnc) its really weighing heavy on me to go ahead and re-do my anwig. The only real problem i have with getting better gear/doing more stuff to get better gear is the lack of options i have currently with friends in game. 90% of the people ive played with over the last 7 years have all quit. Always been hard for me to make new friends for some reason, and i never really have done much end-game. I've one sky god, done some limbus, and some dynamis. thats it, i was always more interested in "the grind" that is xping, i just really enjoy it.
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2010-05-30 22:18:45  
there, I changed it you cry babies. Geez. this is my daughter and I, for now. MERIT THAT DNC!!
 Lakshmi.Priestsan
By Lakshmi.Priestsan 2010-05-30 22:24:14  
i got saber dance and use it mostly when im farming low-level crap just for fun (situations where i dont need waltz) and when im solo just before i pop off a ws (turn it off after). Since i do alot of stuff on my own ive been seriously considering putting more merits in fan dance cause its just a rediculous JA when your tanking something, until the -PDT starts to wear down.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-30 22:24:54  
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
this is my daughter and I
Quote:
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2010-05-30 22:25:45  
after 20 seconds of thinkin about it, I ditched that pic too, of my daughter and I. Too many pedo's out there and I can't bear imagining them fienin off my lil girl. Hope this one meets with ya'll's approval
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8