Blu Gets Party?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » blu gets party?
blu gets party?
 Phoenix.Zeotah
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-03-08 08:51:34  
I'll have to try that someday. Though before I had DRG, I sometimes pestered friends to let me bring BLU to their merit parties and I did perfectly fine. I'll admit this leaves me somewhat mixed as we plunge into the "unknown" with the level caps going up in a few months.
 Siren.Delirium
サーバ: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-03-08 14:50:06  
Quote:
Maybe I went a little far and worded it wrong saying this, since I know a Thfs job is more than just planting hate on the tank. Thf can pull better than blu (I wouldn't want to as blu), and then Thf also has Accomplice & Collaborator.

Though in my opinion in an xp party, Blu/thf can plant hate on a tank with TA+Spell easier and better than a Thf main can do with Solo TA Assassin.

If the TA misses so does the Hate transfer of the ability. Which then means no hate planted on tank. That's what Assassin does for a THF, plus TA should never be done by itself only with WS. Every THF knows this

edit: i wasnt being defensive about what you're saying, just that the information isnt EXACT.
 Valefor.Grozny
サーバ: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-08 16:47:38  
Quote:
um... no

TA is NOT 100% accurate without assassin thus unreliable solo. which is why it's always stacked on SA pre60 by any THF or 60+ by any /thf job. Also the fact it doesnt add damage /thf make this even more incorrect.

Let me just make sure I am understanding you..

Are you saying that as Blu/thf SA+TA should always be stacked to transfer hate to a tank?

Siren.Delirium
サーバ: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-03-08 18:42:48  
because of the nature of TA being 50/50 it would be more efficient to stack it with SA. the damage you're going to deal will be the same either way stacking TA with SA will not only ensure the hate is on the tank but that you WONT pull hate with your other DD spell
 Valefor.Grozny
サーバ: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-08 19:12:35  
Maybe I've been doing it wrong for years, and just imagining things when I TA+Disseverment onto someone and walk away hate free.

Go test it out and come back. Go out and TA+Frip onto someone else, and then see how many times the hate doesn't transfer to them. Unless you are having some bad acc problems, there should be no issue in landing TA+multihit and having the hate transfer onto who you TAed.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [63 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Akamatzu
サーバ: Asura
user: Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2010-05-10 10:09:53  
I haven't got a PT invite in 3 weeks on asura. @ 65
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-05-10 10:17:02  
Asura.Akamatzu said:
I haven't got a PT invite in 3 weeks on asura. @ 65
I always made my own parties on blu. Do some MMM with /thf. Just get a rdm healer so you get refresh, and you'll do pretty well.
 Shiva.Superdan
サーバ: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-12 03:47:56  
I had very slow invites on blu/thf when I was levelling, thankfully I had campaign 62+ or so. However, MP wise I didn't usually have much of a problem in PT. With refresh, MP drainkiss and taking a few yags with you just incase ***hits the fan, it's not so bad. Also, I can easily believe a SAM or DRK etc would out parse a blu, but by twice the amount is just insane.. The blu must of sucked, in my opinion.

Granted, Sword DPS isn't great, and TP gain isn't fast while you're casting spells, but i'd often hit spells higher than WS's (Probably when they missed a couple hits, though). Also, /thf with CASA can do some great damage, I remember hitting Jnuns for over 1k anyhows.

Not saying a Blu is the best DPS in merit pt by far, most 2 handers should be able to out DPS you, but as others have said, blu isn't only a DPS class. I'd like to see a SAM throw emergency cures, Flash in desperate situations, give AoE stoneskin etc
 Cerberus.Nexxus
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Orions
By Cerberus.Nexxus 2010-05-12 05:00:35  
Nin like blu in party for head butt (help to cast utsusemi), (and thf for hate control).

Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-12 05:17:42  
Oh yeah, this reminds me. The other day, I was out helping a newly 75 blu friend of mine get sea spells out in the palace.

So, we're in a party, in sea, on blu/nin.. And I randomly get a /tell saying "Hello! Bhaf Thickets party, do you need it? Lv64"

I was like O.o Wth? None seeking bird invite on blu while i'm in a pt?

I decline, then 30s later my friend goes "What the hell, I just got a bird invite on blu"

Can't remember the guys name now, but it seems some people out there like blu's xD Not sure why he was so desperate for one to ask people who are so obviously not LFP though.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-12 05:20:49  
Shiva.Superdan said:
Oh yeah, this reminds me. The other day, I was out helping a newly 75 blu friend of mine get sea spells out in the palace.

So, we're in a party, in sea, on blu/nin.. And I randomly get a /tell saying "Hello! Bhaf Thickets party, do you need it? Lv64"

I was like O.o Wth? None seeking bird invite on blu while i'm in a pt?

I decline, then 30s later my friend goes "What the hell, I just got a bird invite on blu"

Can't remember the guys name now, but it seems some people out there like blu's xD Not sure why he was so desperate for one to ask people who are so obviously not LFP though.

I invite blu's to bird camps if I need a DD.

Most Blu's are good because they don't have the luxury of being bad due to having a job in demand.
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-05-12 05:40:40  
Quote:
Most Blu's are good because they don't have the luxury of being bad due to having a job in demand.

No most blu's are pure ***who full time AF... sad but true.
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-12 16:33:01  
I usually try to invite a blu or mnk in high lvl pt's as i know how difficult it can be to level the jobs, and like to help 'em out. That being said, i'd still try and make sure to have 2 polearm jobs.

I personally duo'd campaign a lot with a mnk friend on my blu. I remember he used to sync to qufim island at times when he was 60+ because he never got ToAU pt's on mnk. Srsly. Was his first job, he had to buy stacks of imp S coins for warps, and solo'd lessers to get ISP for staging points, lol. I had more luck than him fortunately, but still could mean a hell of a long time LFP. Imp parties were surprisingly frequent at least, unlike birds.
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I wish this was as true as you say, but in the time I've invited blu's I've seen some pretty damn terrible ones. I remember one blu in particular, NEVER once skillchained in a whole pt (This was in a wajoam pt, and he was /nin, so no SA or TA spells either). Because he spammed all mp as soon as he got it, without barely letting his swords swing. Then he swapped to dark staff, and rested to full.. (Baring in mind he had rdm refresh) losing the little tp he gained, then swapped back and went spamming again.

I ended up having to /tell him because a couple of ls friends were pissed with him, and try to gude him onto playing blu a little more conservatively. Turned out he didn't know how to SC -> MB MP drainkiss, and even if he did, it was useless, as he apparantly thought MP drainkiss was a spell he could skip due to unimportance.

I guess every job has it's noobs though, just some jobs are more straight forward.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-12 16:48:47  
If anything there is a greater proportion of bad BLUs out there than for most jobs because 1) it's not well understood by the general FFXI community and 2) a lot more goes into being even a decent BLU than say, a decent SAM or BLM.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-12 16:52:11  
yeah, it's kind of sad how few decent blu are out there (the really good ones are even more rare). it pretty much started out as a "blu was awesome in other games, it should still be awesome in ffxi" mind set and went to "wow, that guy owned the ***out of that mob, I want to do that too, but I don't need all that gear" and every halfwit started leveling the job w/o taking the time to learn or gear it properly, and eventually it ended up as "hey anybody can do that, I want to too. OMG, WHY'S MY BLU SO WEAK? THIS JOB IS ***!!".
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 16:56:15  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
If anything there is a greater proportion of bad BLUs out there than for most jobs because 1) it's not well understood by the general FFXI community and 2) a lot more goes into being even a decent BLU than say, a decent SAM or BLM.
Depends on what you are doing for your blu. Sure if you have a few nuking sets and a breath set and a few physical spell and tp sets. If you already have blm and only bring blu out for say soloing in campaign and mostly physical stuff it's a little less than my blm. It would be a decent amount less if I got rid of my magic hammer set.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-12 16:56:48  
Not talking gear, I'm just talking about flat out not sucking. That said, the amount of gear you have does have a certain correlation with your skill level just because you tend to put comparable amounts of effort into a given job on both fronts.
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-05-12 16:58:28  
I don't mind blu at all but if I was making an xp pt I wouldn't invite one. I know some killer blu's but for ever amazing blu (expecially 1-74) there are 10 moron blus that suck and slow everything down.

I don't know much about the job..I will prolly never even lvl it but it looks like a lot of fun once you get to 75..Farming spells always turned me off from the job.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-12 17:00:15  
Heh, I leveled it in part because of the spell farming. I'm really looking forward to getting more spells over the next year.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-05-12 17:05:00  
Does it suck as much *** as I think it does to spell farm?

Blu is still my only job I haven't unlocked and having blu could prove to be use for drg and when I wanna mess around on whm.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-12 17:08:13  
It depends on the person. Once you get good at spamming headbutt and keeping Ichi up it's not that hard to solo all but maybe 5 of them before you can use them
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-12 17:09:49  
There were a handful of spells that made me want to tear my hair out, but I'd guess my average time to learn a spell was ~40 minutes. There's like 3 spells you can't solo at or near use level right now - Refueling (clusters outside Tav don't exist), Body Slam (soloable with decent gear at 75), and Memento Mori (also soloable at higher levels). Refueling, the only one of those that is truly important to have while leveling, will be soloable after they remove CoP area level caps (Riverne).
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-12 17:10:57  
it's pretty random, some times you can spend a few hours trying to get a worthless spell, but then you get something good off the first kill, and vica-versa. skill+af gloves can increase your chances to learn spells, but I never believed all the BS theories surrounding stats increasing learn rate, there was never any conclusive evidence and it's pretty impossible to prove since there's no way to really test it.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-05-12 17:21:35  
I solo'd most of drg to at least 37 with FoV and what not..can you do that with blu as well? I'm elvaan even with 8/8 Mp merits my MP is pathetic would it work? I would love another job that can fly thru mobs and not have to rely on pt's to lvl to 37 and beyond.

I would have to make some sort of list of spells that I would really need..because I know for certain I would not want to farm them all.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-12 17:27:29  
sure can, I soloed blu to 75 (other than several random levels that friends aske me to pt) in well under a month pretty easily. blm solo guides work great, but stay away from elementals and amorphs. juice helps speed things up a ton if you can make it yourself.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-12 17:29:52  
The spell farm is the only part of Blu I like the look of lol.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-13 03:15:48  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
There were a handful of spells that made me want to tear my hair out, but I'd guess my average time to learn a spell was ~40 minutes. There's like 3 spells you can't solo at or near use level right now - Refueling (clusters outside Tav don't exist), Body Slam (soloable with decent gear at 75), and Memento Mori (also soloable at higher levels). Refueling, the only one of those that is truly important to have while leveling, will be soloable after they remove CoP area level caps (Riverne).

Refueling can be solo'd at around 45 around Tav, but it is true that they're damn rare. I tried learning there as blu myself, took like 6 game days for foggy weather. I gave up and got a friend to help me out in the Mount. The Clusters out there are easily solo'd by a 75blu/nin though, I've helped a couple blu's get the spell.

Also, while spell hunting can be annoying, you also have to remember it is NOT uncommon to go 1/1 on a spell, taking you a whole 5 minutes. When compared with say, levelling BLM, where you could be forking out up to 140k for a spell scroll. Blu was my first job, I much preferred spell hunting to farming gilz for scrolls, only problem is if you don't have a couple of good friends to help you out with the toughies.
 Asura.Kowen
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-13 09:51:39  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
I would have to make some sort of list of spells that I would really need..because I know for certain I would not want to farm them all.

Only to 37? If you don't really care about getting them all, the only spells you really should learn are pollen, cocoon, metallic body, head butt, sheep song, bludgeon, and wild carrot. If you're planning on doing DRG/BLU, get foot kick and power attack as HB triggers.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 13:30:12  
Add Healing Breeze (Healing Breeze + Sheep Song = Auto Regen) and whatever spells you can get with +STR to that list. Highly recommend getting Battle Dance + Uppercut for Attack Bonus once 80 cap comes out too. I generally don't bother with Metallic Body as DRG/BLU.
Shiva.Superdan said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Refueling can be solo'd at around 45 around Tav, but it is true that they're damn rare. I tried learning there as blu myself, took like 6 game days for foggy weather. I gave up and got a friend to help me out in the Mount. The Clusters out there are easily solo'd by a 75blu/nin though, I've helped a couple blu's get the spell.

Also, while spell hunting can be annoying, you also have to remember it is NOT uncommon to go 1/1 on a spell, taking you a whole 5 minutes. When compared with say, levelling BLM, where you could be forking out up to 140k for a spell scroll. Blu was my first job, I much preferred spell hunting to farming gilz for scrolls, only problem is if you don't have a couple of good friends to help you out with the toughies.

All of this is very true - if my average learn time really was around 40 minutes it's in no small part because of how long it took me to get Refueling (4 days solo at Tav with no pops, 2 days outside Halvung SP with friends). I went 1/1 or 1/2 on many spells and got at least 95% of them within 10 times seeing the move or less.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-13 16:19:25  
Funnily enough, the worst spell in the game for me was Healing Breeze.

I solo'd those damn &$(%&%^ dhalmels for about 8 hours over 2 days, starting as 15BLU/WHM or BLU/WAR killing Ts. Needless to say, I was pretty much out of dunes levels by the time I got it. It almost put me off levelling the job, lol.

My advice to any aspiring blu's, is if you get to a point where a spell is pissing you off, or is too difficult, ask for help. I hated asking for help to start off with, and it got very frustrating. If there are a lot of the mobs in range, even if you can kill them, a helper can be very useful.
For example, if you have a friend killing a 2nd mob nearby, and their mob uses it while you're in xp range, it's an extra chance at learning. Also, if you have a mage friend who can dia spam (For TP gain)/keep you alive while you hold mob under 25%, it will drastically speed up the rate of their TP moves.

Most people who have levelled the job can understand how frustrating it can be and are glad to help out. Luckily I trio'd a lot with a couple of guys roughly my level, all on our first jobs when I levelled blu, and they helped me out whenever I needed, especially when it came to getting spells that can save their ***, lol.