PS3 Finally Hacked!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » PS3 Finally Hacked!
PS3 Finally Hacked!
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-01-25 23:15:47  
www.theregister.co.uk said:

Once impenetrable PS3 cracked wide open
iPhone hacker: 'I have great power'

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco

Posted in Security, 25th January 2010 19:51 GMT
The first hacker to successfully jailbreak the iPhone says he has pulled off yet another modding marvel, this time penetrating the previously impervious PlayStation 3 gaming console.

The hack by 20-year-old George Hotz, aka geohot, is significant because the PS3 was the only game console that hadn't been hacked, despite being on the market for more than three years. The feat greatly expands the functionality of the box by allowing it to run unrestricted versions of Linux and a wide range of games that are currently forbidden. The hardware and software designer told El Reg it took him five weeks to develop the hack using a combination of modifications to the console's hardware and software.

"Basically, I used hardware to open a small hole and then used software to make the hole the size of the system to get full read/write access," he said in an interview. "Right now, although the system is broken, I have great power. I can make they system do whatever I want."

The first three weeks were spent trying attacks to directly access memory of the console. He eventually settled on his current approach after realizing software approaches alone were insufficient.

A dropout of the Rochester Institute of Technology, geohot said he is declining to provide details to prevent Sony from introducing changes that would stymie the modifications. But a blog post announcing the accomplishment makes clear the hack gives users unprecedented control over their systems.

"I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor," geohot wrote. "In other words, I have hacked the PS3."

The hack will allow PS3 users for the first time to run unrestricted versions of Linux that have full access to the system's central processing unit and graphical processing unit. That will greatly expand the kinds of things users can do with the console. For starters, they could use the mod to run emulators that will play PS2 games on the machine, something Sony strictly forbids. It could also allow programs like the VLC media player to run much more robustly. The hack also opens the door to pirated games on the console, although geohot said that's an activity he's not interested in pursuing.

Geohot said he doesn't plan to release the software used to unlock the box until he can make it more reliable. It currently takes about 15 minutes to run and frequently fails to work properly. "If I posted what I have now, people would get fed up with it," he said.

He praised the PS3 as a "pretty secure system," that was harder to hack than many hardware systems he has penetrated.

"One of the main things Sony did right was put all the security on at once," he explained. "From day 1, the PS3 was secure."

Well this is so nice! ^^b

Edit: Another link from the news (BBC)
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-01-26 13:25:57  
Quote:
allowing it to run unrestricted versions of Linux
Quote:
I have great power. I can make the system do whatever I want.

I couldn't help but think, 'lol I can make my PC do what ever I want too, and I don't have to screw around with it for 3 years / 15 minutes to get it to work properly'.

I guess its cool to hack it and be all like 'Yeah take that Sony!', but it doesn't seem all that impressive to say 'I have Linux installed on my PS3'.
 Remora.Fyyvoaa
サーバ: Remora
user: Fyyvoaa
By Remora.Fyyvoaa 2010-01-26 13:28:31  
At least then I could (maybe) get some linux on my ps3 >.> slim ftw/ftl

I love it but hate it at times.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-26 13:31:57  
MISLEADING TITLE IS MISLEADING

i thought this would be about PS3 games could finally be pirated lol
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-26 13:32:04  
Kinda pointless when you can just have a PC.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-01-26 13:35:29  
Im pretty sure pirated PS3 games will com along shortly
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-26 13:38:54  
Not really pointless if you own a PS3 that can't play PS2 games. *cough*fail*cough*
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 13:41:20  
yeah, I'm sure PS3 games are already pirated. What this does is just allow them to finally be played.
 Seraph.Zoey
サーバ: Seraph
user: ZoeyofS
By Seraph.Zoey 2010-01-26 14:05:09  
Luckily this hack ins't that good. Most of the times hacks like these make things worse than better. Take the psp for instance. It was hacked right away at firmware 1.50 than Sony fixed the problem with following firmware updates that greatly restricted the psp usability. Some hacker got E props and a few dingbats got atari games on thier psp.

Game "Hackers" aren't exactly a good thing. They make mods for the games we like to play and make small fortunes helping the "rmt" cheat.

Oh yea, remember what happened to the Dreamcast when it was revealed how easy it was to rip the CD based games on computer using a boot disc to help the game rips to work. The dreamcast closed down right away, no more SEGA console.

To me, hoping for PS3 to be rippable or piratable is like hoping some goon will go in your house and take a Maul to your ps3. I hope no one is dumb enouph to put pirated crap on thier ps3. If the hack becomes known, which it will have to be to be sold, than the ps3 update following will mostly likely void it or void your playstation. The same as the update that came with Tekken 6 voided all those knockoff bluetooth controllers usablility.

Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 14:08:38  
Seraph.Zoey said:
Game "Hackers" aren't exactly a good thing. They make mods for the games we like to play and make small fortunes helping the "rmt" cheat.

Oh yea, remember what happened to the Dreamcast when it was revealed how easy it was to rip the CD based games on computer using a boot disc to help the game rips to work. The dreamcast closed down right away, no more SEGA console.
How is being able to play ROMs on a PSP helping RMT cheat? WTF? That sounds like pure ignorance to me.

I thought Dreamcast didn't make it because the console was so faulty? Huh, learn something new every day. Damn hackers.
 Seraph.Zoey
By Seraph.Zoey 2010-01-26 14:13:56  
ROMS on psp doesn't help rmt cheat that is why I wrote than in a different paragraph.

I wanted to bring up psp as another thing that got crappy cuz of hackers, like the Dreamcast.

Hackers do help rmt cheat alot though.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-26 14:15:49  
I recall there being a "hack" or "mod" to the PSP that allowed you to play virtually any PS1 ROM that was loaded on your memory chip. Did Sony bitchslap everyone with new firmware that restricts the usage if changed?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 14:16:35  
Meh, I do get what you mean though. PS3 could be modded to run a game and other apps at the same time. Bots, etc.

Do you have any sources for the dreamcast info? I'll wiki it in a second, but I'm actually curious about that. I love my dreamcast.

Edit: From wiki:
Quote:
According to Bernie Stolar, former President and CEO of Sega of America, the Dreamcast was discontinued because the new chairman of Sega wanted the company to focus on software.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-26 14:18:09  
Not 100% relevant but I'd love to find a way to hack an ipod into playing different audio formats than acc mp3 and wma. I for one am a big fan of flac and ogg.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-26 14:19:04  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Quote:
According to Bernie Stolar, former President and CEO of Sega of America, the Dreamcast was discontinued because the new chairman of Sega wanted the company to focus on software.

Keep in mind this is a CEO that said this. It can be another way of saying "We *** up in the console business, maybe we should just make games instead."
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 14:21:11  
Asura.Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Quote:

Keep in mind this is a CEO that said this. It can be another way of saying "We *** up in the console business, maybe we should just make games instead."
That's exactly the way I read it. Though I wish they hadn't. Like I said, I love my dreamcast. I actually have two of them.
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2010-01-26 14:34:12  
Seraph.Zoey said:
Luckily this hack ins't that good. Most of the times hacks like these make things worse than better. Take the psp for instance. It was hacked right away at firmware 1.50 than Sony fixed the problem with following firmware updates that greatly restricted the psp usability. Some hacker got E props and a few dingbats got atari games on thier psp.

As far as I recall, PSX had the same thing and you didnt see Sony ditching the console did they? PS2 has also been modded beyond recognition, yet PS2 is still a console that gets games and is still manufactured.
 Seraph.Zoey
By Seraph.Zoey 2010-01-26 14:39:03  
Asura.Artemicion said:
I recall there being a "hack" or "mod" to the PSP that allowed you to play virtually any PS1 ROM that was loaded on your memory chip. Did Sony bitchslap everyone with new firmware that restricts the usage if changed?

While the mods like "homebrew" and the emulators I have never heard of any the worked on anything past 1.50 firmware while most every psp game disc runs on firmware beyond 1.5 so you end up picking between a regular psp or a modded one that doesnt play most the game discs.

I think the good that came of this was marketing data for Sony. Just 4 years ago I was marveling at some hacker getting FF7 on his psp. At the time a PS1 copy of FF7 was near 100$ on ebay which is 90$ too much for me. A couple months ago I downloaded it off of playstation network for 10 bucks for the psp, just to have there.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-26 14:42:31  
So in other words, new PSPs can't be modified to run emulators?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 14:43:49  
Asura.Artemicion said:
So in other words, new PSPs can't be modified to run emulators?
Correct.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-26 14:44:40  
Damn. But if I remember correctly there was some sort of synergy between the PS3 and PSP. Something like downloaded PS1 games could be transfered to it and thus playable? I'd like more info on that since I plan on getting a PS3 this March (for obvious reasons :3)
 Carbuncle.Sterling
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-01-26 14:47:55  
I'm pretty sure the reason Dreamcast failed was because PS2 came out a couple months after its release. I don't know if I'd call Dreamcast faulty, though. I loved mine to death and played the hell out of it.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 14:54:24  
Carbuncle.Sterling said:
I'm pretty sure the reason Dreamcast failed was because PS2 came out a couple months after its release. I don't know if I'd call Dreamcast faulty, though. I loved mine to death and played the hell out of it.
The consoles being faulty is a fact. I personally know of several people whose DCs crapped out on them. Mine would randomly skip the disc and cause the game to restart. I loaned it to someone (along with my other one) who said he could fix it (I told him if he got both working 100%, he could have one). He hasn't had it skip yet -_-
 Seraph.Zoey
By Seraph.Zoey 2010-01-26 15:06:03  
Dreamcast CEOs say that they were going to concentrate on software but that is becuase thier console failed so bad. They obviously wanted to go the way of the console, Dreamcast wasnt thier first try we all know that. Game companies that produce consoles count on game sales for profit. Xbox paid 200$ more than the selling price at launch on consoles for instance. Dreamcasts fig fault was putting thier games on CDs. Each CD had 2 programs a Boot and the Game and the boot was pretty much universal for all Dreamcast games. Online the boot and games were seriously easy to get and rip in moments. With CDs one copy can turn into one for every friend you have that has a Dreamcast, which is exactly what killed the Dreamcast and why Sega turns to other consoles to more securely release thier games. Also if a system isn't secure the game makers won't want to risk releasing thier content on it for fear of losing out like the games that were released on Dreamcast.

The only rip I have heard of worthwile for ps2 was that you can easily copy ps2 games onto a ps2 HD using a sort of load disc you have to buy from a company overseas (they were sued in US) but still very easy to get. I wont name it. YOu can use the boot disc to load ps2 whole games into the HD like the one that came with FF11, or another that works with ps2. The cool thing is all you need is to have a ps2 HD, which any ff11 ps2er has, and about 20$ for that to work. The thing I think is good about it is that you are limited to you one copy on HD, but you can still use the same disc, wether rented or borrowed, to put on anyone elses HD aswell. You could also load an emulator on there but I don't know alot about how.

Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 15:10:26  
Actually, I have thoroughly enjoyed every Sega system I've owned and still own. Sega Genesis, Nomad (portable Genesis), Sega CD, and Dreamcast. I never personally owned a Saturn, but knew someone that did. It's another console that I hated to see go away. Once I have the money to pointlessly blow, I'm going to get one.

(did I miss a Sega system in there?)
 Seraph.Zoey
By Seraph.Zoey 2010-01-26 15:13:41  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Actually, I have thoroughly enjoyed every Sega system I've owned and still own. Sega Genesis, Nomad (portable Genesis), Sega CD, and Dreamcast. I never personally owned a Saturn, but knew someone that did. It's another console that I hated to see go away. Once I have the money to pointlessly blow, I'm going to get one. (did I miss a Sega system in there?)

I loved my Genesis as a teen aswell, played the hell out of Sonic 2, Bart Simpsons nightmare, and street fighter 2.

I don't remember the Nomad, I do remember Game Gear.

I had a friend who had Saturn aswell, turned me onto the Lunar game series.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 15:31:17  
Seraph.Zoey said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Actually, I have thoroughly enjoyed every Sega system I've owned and still own. Sega Genesis, Nomad (portable Genesis), Sega CD, and Dreamcast. I never personally owned a Saturn, but knew someone that did. It's another console that I hated to see go away. Once I have the money to pointlessly blow, I'm going to get one. (did I miss a Sega system in there?)

I loved my Genesis as a teen aswell, played the hell out of Sonic 2, Bart Simpsons nightmare, and street fighter 2.

I don't remember the Nomad, I do remember Game Gear.

I had a friend who had Saturn aswell, turned me onto the Lunar game series.
Lunar was originally for sega CD. They rank as my 1st and 2rd favorite games as all time (Lunar, FFVII, Lunar Eternal Blue). I bought both off Ebay so I could play them on my Sega CD, but have since misplaced one of the two.

Nomad wasn't very popular. Not sure how I ended up with one of those and not Game Gear.
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2010-01-26 15:39:29  
Kujata.Akeda said:
Quote:
allowing it to run unrestricted versions of Linux
Quote:
I have great power. I can make the system do whatever I want.

I couldn't help but think, 'lol I can make my PC do what ever I want too, and I don't have to screw around with it for 3 years / 15 minutes to get it to work properly'.

I guess its cool to hack it and be all like 'Yeah take that Sony!', but it doesn't seem all that impressive to say 'I have Linux installed on my PS3'.

With linux installed on the system, the PS3 has the capability to run 360 games which is a feature that is very key in the console war debate bs
 Sylph.Seger
サーバ: Sylph
user: husurdade
By Sylph.Seger 2010-01-26 15:45:48  
what about the Master System and the 32X?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-26 15:55:39  
Sylph.Seger said:
what about the Master System and the 32X?
32X was more of an attachment than a system. Never saw much point to it or any games that it affected.

Master System I never played. Hell, I didn't know it existed for the longest time. Considering it came out before I was born, I didn't play it. I started with nintendo and sega genesis.
First Page 2