フォーラム » FFXI » General » Vanadoubt 2 hope you like fishing
Vanadoubt 2 hope you like fishing
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 15 16 17
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 17:21:59  
I mean...you've only failed if your one and only goal is to get the top 10 for the title.

If your goal is literally anything else, you haven't failed if you missed an roe, or a day, or failed to do something, or had any other problems. Gold tier is easy to hit, getting more points for the overall goal is ridiculously easy.

It may surprise people to hear this but it shouldn't:
They didn't design the "top 10 players get a title" with the intent of everyone being able to achieve it. You can tell this by the words "top 10"...unless you think there are 10 players per server, this is INTENTIONALLY exclusive.

It seems incredibly clear to me how the "top 10" players will be determined based on how the moogle reports the rankings w/r/t ties. Everyone who ties will get the same rank, the rank 1 lower than the people above them. This will skip a rank for each player who tied. You can see this for yourself in my example or probably in the rankings on your own server, just check the moogle
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 17:27:46  
Theres still the extra campaign days, though we dont know what the bonuses are

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
It seems incredibly clear to me how the "top 10" players will be determined based on how the moogle reports the rankings w/r/t ties. Everyone who ties will get the same rank, the rank 1 lower than the people above them.
Speculation
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 17:34:53  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
It seems incredibly clear to me how the "top 10" players will be determined based on how the moogle reports the rankings w/r/t ties. Everyone who ties will get the same rank, the rank 1 lower than the people above them.
Speculation

You think the rankings the moogle shows today work differently from the rankings they're going to use to determine the top 10? Why would they do that? What's the logic there?

Here's our update btw, working exactly as expected:
1 1210
1 1210
1 1210
1 1210
5 910
5 910
7 810
8 750
9 730
10 640
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 17:36:35  
Its speculation that it will give the title to 11+ people who all T-1st
 Fenrir.Zenion
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Zenion
By Fenrir.Zenion 2024-05-19 17:37:15  
I mean...you've only failed if your one and only goal is to get the top 10 for the title.

If your goal is literally anything else, you haven't failed if you missed an roe, or a day, or failed to do something, or had any other problems. Gold tier is easy to hit, getting more points for the overall goal is ridiculously easy.

It may surprise people to hear this but it shouldn't:
They didn't design the "top 10 players get a title" with the intent of everyone being able to achieve it. You can tell this by the words "top 10"...unless you think there are 10 players per server, this is INTENTIONALLY exclusive.

If your goal isn't to make the top 10, then... what's the point in continuing past 1300, though? Maybe 10 more exemplar points per plaudit, if you don't pick a reward with a gil value?

Setting up a system where there is a fixed maximum and you can at some point irretrievably be locked out of any ability to reach it, and saying the reward is only for perfect performance is... well, it's fine in something people can keep starting over and trying again at, I guess lots of games prove that, but if you get one shot at it then... yeah, no, that means that you're telling people to stop caring once they fall the tiniest bit behind. Keep up or go home.

Having some kind of catch-up mechanic, or a repeatable way to earn more points, would encourage people to keep trying because hey, who knows, maybe you can win through sheer determination and hard work.

With this though... well, I've been staying up late, getting stressed out, and treating this whole thing like Serious Business, but I couldn't solve a battlefield with the resources I had in under 24 hours, so the entire event is over. Maximum motivation to none instantly.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 17:37:50  
Its speculation that it will give the title to 11+ people who hit rank 1.

So right now it shows 4 people as rank 1 even though only 1 person is rank 1, but you think:
After 10 people, it will stop giving the same rank to ties?
OR
Even though they're all listed at the same rank (1), it will just pick 10 people arbitrarily?
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 17:39:50  
I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm pointing out that what you're attempting to state as fact is speculation. Do you need the definition of speculation?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 17:45:14  
I mean, you could call it an educated guess since there's actual in-game evidence which strongly points towards it.

I'd say speculation would be guessing the opposite with absolutely no evidence whatsoever that it would work differently. Holding a belief against all evidence and logic because you're overly skeptical.

SE didn't explicitly tell us how ties would be handled, so we have to speculate somewhat, sure, but I think following the video game they programmed and the system that they set up for this event is a pretty good clue for that speculation, as opposed to putting forth the opposing view with nothing to back it up.

So yeah, I guess I'm the one speculating in this scenario, sure.

I'd say that I'm not speculating, based on this definition, because there is evidence.
Quote:
form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 17:54:15  
1 1210
1 1210
1 1210
1 1210
What are the names of these 4?

If its not in alphabetical order, then its possible that its based on who turns in first.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-19 17:55:54  
As many people as have been *** out of the possibility of highest score, dont be surprised if they cancel or give to everyone the titles this time anyway.

It's impossible to guess what and how or why

People are going to be unhappy regardless. Literal top 10. Listed order first 10. Time stamp first 10. Everyone with max score if there's more than 10.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-19 18:02:55  
1 1210
1 1210
1 1210
1 1210
What are the names of these 4?

If its not in alphabetical order, then its possible that its based on who turns in first.

Maje
Panama
Mekillthings
Maletaru

Meki turned in first, then Male, then the other 2.

Also I find the order the names are listed in very irrelevant because, once again, in the SE-designed rankings on the SE-placed moogle who reports on this specific event, they're all listed as rank 1.
 Phoenix.Gavroches
サーバ: Phoenix
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-05-19 18:21:02  
Really love this Vanabout. Lots of varied quest and zone variety. Funny how after 15 years we still remember to ride from Sandy to bastok, and chatting with friends about the dune’s time. No need to rush, first 2 tier are fairly accessible.

Thank you SE for this
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-05-19 19:51:00  
Also, I dont think I seen anyone discuss it, but did they change Kupon I-Aby?
The wiki says Kupon I-Aby (3). Does that mean they modified the kupon to be worth 3 trophies, or do you get 3 kupons and can get a total of 6 trophies?

Being able to nab 6 of the more annoying trohpies for the hour it takes to get the 300 plaudits is a significantly better ROI compared to last year's two trohpies for 3 hours of effort or wtv.
Yes, they increased the amount of Kupons received for this round. So you can, in fact, get 6 trophies total. The only value of rewards that I am skeptical about is the Dynamis currency. Every other reward shows a numerical value for how many of the item you receive, but these three items do not. I find it hard to believe that a 750+ reward is just one ~400k item, but who knows with SE.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-05-19 20:08:40  
Can totally see it being 1 100 piece based on the other items in that bracket. 100 deeds is a bit of a left fielder there since that's a *** of those but they also have little to no monetary value so hard to outright compare.
 Fenrir.Zenion
By Fenrir.Zenion 2024-05-19 20:10:20  
Asura.Hya said: »
Also, I dont think I seen anyone discuss it, but did they change Kupon I-Aby?
The wiki says Kupon I-Aby (3). Does that mean they modified the kupon to be worth 3 trophies, or do you get 3 kupons and can get a total of 6 trophies?

Being able to nab 6 of the more annoying trohpies for the hour it takes to get the 300 plaudits is a significantly better ROI compared to last year's two trohpies for 3 hours of effort or wtv.
Yes, they increased the amount of Kupons received for this round. So you can, in fact, get 6 trophies total. The only value of rewards that I am skeptical about is the Dynamis currency. Every other reward shows a numerical value for how many of the item you receive, but these three items do not. I find it hard to believe that a 750+ reward is just one ~400k item, but who knows with SE.

Everything else is up-front about its quantity if you check the option, so I wouldn't see any reason to believe that when it just says you get an item, you get an item.

As for whether that's a reasonable reward for 750 plaudits... well, 1300 is apparently worth precisely two stacks of alexandrite, which fetches, at most, about 900k? So the logic tracks.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 20:16:15  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Can totally see it being 1 100 piece based on the other items in that bracket. 100 deeds is a bit of a left fielder there since that's a *** of those but they also have little to no monetary value so hard to outright compare.
Partially true since it does shave 2 1/2 months off your next ADL and PW pop if you're up in that range. Hard to give that even a ballpark value though.
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-05-19 20:23:23  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
If you choose the 3x Ambu seals, assuming you do 3x VD runs, you receive 32,400 Hallmarks and, also presumably, 4,500 Gallantry. Let's pick the most expensive Ambu reward on Asura currently, Beitetsu: At 50 Hallmarks per Beitetsu, this earns you 648 Beitetsu. At 50 Gallantry per Beitetsu, this earns you 90 Beitetsu. Total 738 Beitetsu, or ~7.5 stacks. With a current market price on Asura of ~900k per Beitetsu stack, you are earning ~6.7mil for this choice.

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions in this comparison, including the capability to actually clear a V1VD Ambuscade with five other people, but the difference in potential reward seems very skewed even by my drunk calculations.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-05-19 20:37:54  
1-Thats not necessarily extra gil, since the rewards from ambu are finite. It will save you time though.
2-Taking 3 seals over 100 deeds if your goal is ambu seals is foolish. If you have 970+ deeds, 100 Deeds is worth 3 seals, maybe 6 depending where you are in the rotation. And from a gil standpoint, jumping 100 deeds puts you 2 1/2 months closer to another ADL and PW pop.

Also Beitetsu are the best gil/HM conversion on Asura?

I think your drunk math is off. A stack of beits at 920k is 186 gil per HM. A stack of Alex at 350k is 236 gil/hm. Riftdross at 400k is 267 gil/hm, Cinder at 380k is 253 gil/hm. A stack of HMP at 4.4m is 222 gil/hm. Either that or the formulas I have in my excel sheet have been wrong for months now.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-05-19 21:34:24  
The nervous taru has been put to rest. The rejoicing Galka has dawned. Happy 100% of goal already
By Sakinah79 2024-05-20 06:31:12  
Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
Really love this Vanabout. Lots of varied quest and zone variety. Funny how after 15 years we still remember to ride from Sandy to bastok, and chatting with friends about the dune’s time. No need to rush, first 2 tier are fairly accessible.

Thank you SE for this

I'm thinking nostalgia was what they were aiming for. Like, remember when we used to ride the boat to Selbina, ride chocobos from one town to the next( before getting an airship pass), when promys were hard?

I'm surprised they left out A Discerning Eye.
[+]
 Fenrir.Zenion
By Fenrir.Zenion 2024-05-20 09:06:52  
Oh, this is going to be interesting. If today is a repeat of day 2, Emptiness will be coming up on the day change. Looks like you can only get a new KI for those fights once every seven days or so (my next one comes up on May 22). Sucks to be anyone who didn't get it in two tries or less, I guess...
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-20 09:22:05  
Fenrir.Zenion said: »
Sucks to be anyone who didn't get it in two tries or less, I guess...

There are 4 battlefields, so I guess you mean sucks to be anyone who didn't get it in 3 tries or less?
By Dodik 2024-05-20 09:27:06  
Looks like the broken Vanabout ROEs are getting emergency patched.
 Fenrir.Zenion
By Fenrir.Zenion 2024-05-20 09:48:37  
Fenrir.Zenion said: »
Sucks to be anyone who didn't get it in two tries or less, I guess...

There are 4 battlefields, so I guess you mean sucks to be anyone who didn't get it in 3 tries or less?

Nah, I mean two tries. Three level 30 battlefields that are largely the same, and one level 50; if you didn't get the level 30 one in the first try, you better be sure you can do it in one try this time, or your next try will involve a different strategy.

(... in my case, my first try was where I learned the whole party needs the KI so yeah, sucks to me be with the three tries especially, but the point is wow does this not leave much room for strategizing and adapting.)
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2024-05-20 10:11:19  
Dodik said: »

I have VBD's again finally. Too late to catch up to top 10 tho...
 Fenrir.Zenion
By Fenrir.Zenion 2024-05-20 10:31:45  
Asura.Dexprozius said: »

Well, yeah. If you missed literally one objective it was already too late, regardless of whether it was a technical issue, or a fight that you just couldn't tackle on short notice, or not having monster rearing unlocked.

1300 plaudits is still easy enough though, should still be 2500 total plaudits on the table?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-05-20 10:36:55  

Those *** just have to do it during Gain-Money!

So annoying.
[+]
By drakefs 2024-05-20 10:48:29  
Asura.Dexprozius said: »

I actually wonder how SE is going to address this. I personally do not care about titles but they literally called out title hunters for the top 10 rankers.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-05-20 11:46:08  
Decided to try something a little more braindead for Emptiness this time around, WHM MNK MNK in Spire of Holla.

I was going to do HFx2, but one of them was on cooldown. Went in with just a single HF and it was dead by the time HF wore off, with only one Combo from each of them. This also while I "Couldn't see" the mob for like 15 seconds. WHM also didn't cast a single cure the whole time and I left the fight with most of my HP remaining on both MNKs.

Not saying it's soloable by a single MNK without any support...but it might be. Bring some meds and HF and you'll prolly be fine. Multiple MNKs and you're cake. I didn't wear a single piece of level-appropriate gear.
By Ymora 2024-05-20 11:59:42  
Reading these threads is giving yourself 1000000 mental damage irl because Eiryl & co. had to spend days tying up an event thread to complain about the game for the 1000th time (:
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 15 16 17