FF14 Wins Best Community Support At VGA.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » FF14 wins best community support at VGA.
FF14 wins best community support at VGA.
By RadialArcana 2022-12-12 08:01:37  
Quote:
Matsui

FFXI is celebrating its 20th anniversary at last, and our interview on this occasion is with Mr. Yoshida, the head of our Creative Business Unit III.

Yoshida

Thank you for having me.

To begin, as the head of Creative Business Unit III, the division overseeing the FFXI project, how exactly are you involved with FFXI?

Yoshida

Please allow me to explain from the beginning. First of all, FFXI had a very unique position in Square Enix as its first MMORPG. FFXI was our first instance of business alliances with PC manufacturers and preparing dedicated marketing staff. At the forefront of it all was Mr. Hiromichi*, and this made him a key figure of extreme significance. After I took over FFXIV Version 1.0, the other project he was overseeing, Mr. Hiromichi returned to focusing on his role as FFXI Producer until he departed from Square Enix. That was when he asked me, “Yoshida, if you can, would you take over FFXI too?” and that was how I became involved with FFXI.* Hiromichi Tanaka, original Producer of FFXI.

I see, so there was some history between the two of you.

Yoshida

I owed a huge debt of gratitude to Mr. Hiromichi, and so given it was an MMO business, I decided to oversee it within the division I was managing at the time, Business Division 5. After taking over, I pondered what should be done for FFXI, a game supported by many passionate players, and my resolution was to ensure the operations of FFXI can continue as long as possible.

Matsui

Back then, there were a lot of specifics that only Mr. Tanaka was privy to, and I remember Mr. Yoshida conducting a thorough internal inspection to uncover them.

Yoshida

That I did. (laughs)

I was looking at the numbers for everything, including development-related costs, personnel assigned to each aspect of the game, how the patch cycles worked for it, labor and server maintenance expenses, and so on. These specifics were crucial not only for me, but for Mr. Matsui as well. He also needed a firm understanding of the numbers as he was to take over as producer. With Mr. Hiromichi leaving the company, neglecting to comprehend these specifics would be the downfall of our operations and ultimately force us to end the service for the game.

Of course, on an emotional level, I wanted FFXI to maintain its previous scale of operations. However, if we kept going at that scale and couldn’t bring in enough revenue as a result, that would be the worst-case scenario. Therefore my first venture after taking over FFXI was to uncover the specifics and decide what to cut back or expand upon.

Matsui

It was an inevitable part of securing the game’s future.

Yoshida

Another matter was how long we could maintain support for North America and Europe. Our investigations revealed there was still a high demand in North America, so we increased our resources there and moved forward with advertising and public relations (PR) as well.

However, back then our overseas offices were predominantly focused on FFXIV and lacked the staff to devote to FFXI. To resolve this, we approached Square Enix America to re-evaluate their staffing, planning for anniversary-related and promotional projects, and community events. After that, we held another discussion with the team to establish a long-term plan, after which Mr. Matsui and his team took over the operations, and here we are now.

What about your current involvement with FFXI?

Yoshida

Currently, aside from sharing information on the interval and content of version updates, I’m primarily involved in the budgeting side of things. I generally evaluate the cost-effectiveness of advertising and PR, this interview series being one such example, and provide alternate ideas should there be any shortcomings.

It seems like your role requires a different mindset compared to working on standalone games.
Yoshida

That's right. When it comes to MMORPGs, spending money on advertising and PR has the effect of retaining more players, but this is a difficult concept for someone who hasn’t been exposed to the online game business. It’s often said that money shouldn’t be spent without an explicit plan for profit, but the opposite is true when managing a monthly subscription MMORPG, where player retention is the “profit.”

On the other hand, the hard part about the MMORPG business is that doing nothing leads to a decline in player retention, which means decreased revenue. Understanding this concept makes an enormous difference. I’m not stingy in giving the go-ahead to spend, but when we do, I evaluate the cost-effectiveness and have the team make the most of the information for our next expenditure.

I see.
Yoshida

On the other hand, I believe the game content should generally be left to Mr. Matsui and his team, rather than have me superficially intervene. With that said, when they’re making the game more accessible for new and returning players, I do occasionally ask them to tweak certain aspects of the user interface (UI) that I, as a third party, found confusing.

Matsui

When we revamped the FFXI installer in 2019, we first asked Mr. Yoshida to have a look, then tweaked words and phrases that were hard to understand.

Yoshida

FFXI is an MMORPG with such a distinguished history, and it’d be a pity if players couldn’t make it past the entrance. So I directed the team to make the installer more accessible by using words that are more common today.

Matsui

Prior to that, the installer still had technical jargon that was quite difficult to understand. I think we subconsciously believed those words were still common knowledge, just as they were for PC users back when the game was released two decades ago.

Yoshida

PC users back then were the kind of people that were knowledgeable about graphics cards and such, after all. (laughs) Because times had changed, I felt we should be careful to avoid tripping up our players with that kind of technical jargon.

Matsui

We also tweaked the chat feature based on the modern standards we learned from Mr. Yoshida.

Yoshida

Another discussion we had was what we could do for returning players looking to rejoin the community after a long absence. FFXI was released during the golden age of MMORPGs, and there are many who consider FFXI as a place where they can “come home to.” However, I guessed that players would come back to FFXI all alone and end up logging off without reuniting with anyone, so I requested a system to help players reconnect with others.

Matsui

Recent games try to keep social interactions casual, but FFXI was designed to be more fun with close-knit communities, so we’ve been receiving advice on how to rebuild that aspect. We’ve also borrowed engineers from Creative Business Unit III on a number of occasions.

Yoshida

In regard to profitable operations, hiring server engineers and other staff to work exclusively on FFXI around-the-clock the whole year round would increase its expenses. So in Creative Business Unit III, engineering fees are expensed under FFXIV, while the FFXI team can submit proposals for tasks that require engineers. Once a proposal has been reviewed and approved, we have the programmers estimate the costs and then have a discussion with them. If we asked them to focus on FFXI for three months, for example, then FFXI would only incur costs for those three months. This allows us to keep costs down and is one of the perks of overseeing two MMORPGs in our division.

Ah, so managing multiple MMORPGs is what allows you to make those kinds of pragmatic arrangements.

Yoshida

When our engineers are unsure what to prioritize, we can designate their priorities and allow them to work productively without hesitation, which I believe is also one of our strengths.

https://we-are-vanadiel.finalfantasyxi.com/post/?id=367
By Hopalong 2022-12-12 08:19:15  
Yep, lots of smoke and mirrors and down-managing the game. In the part that is bolded it just shows how much they siphoned off the ffxi subscriber fee for other uses. They only allocated a small portion to go back to ffxi.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2022-12-12 08:59:23  
Draylo said: »
Cool opinión

Our opinions offered the same value. That was the hidden point.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aldy
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aldy
By Bahamut.Aldy 2022-12-12 09:01:51  
If there's a category at next year's award for the most sad and pathetic forum thread in a gaming community, FFXI may finally see some representation.
[+]
By Afania 2022-12-12 09:20:43  
Hopalong said: »
Yep, lots of smoke and mirrors and down-managing the game. In the part that is bolded it just shows how much they siphoned off the ffxi subscriber fee for other uses. They only allocated a small portion to go back to ffxi.

Yeah, it's true. SE made it blatantly obvious in multiple occasions decades ago and many people probably paid the subscription fee for their own entertainment instead of paying their sub fee for FFXI development.

But then some people has to act emotional about it.

I meant if you pay sub fee for FFXI's future's development instead of your own entertainment then you should stop paying for it 20 years ago, and it's not too late to stop now.

FFXI isn't important for SE. It's their MMO experiment project back in 2002. Once it's released it's job it's done, and SE never expected it to survive for more than 5 years.

Ultimately it got a much longer lifespan than what SE planned originally. Which is already very good. But some people had an ultra unrealistic expectation then act emotional when this expectation wasn't met.
By Hopalong 2022-12-12 09:26:02  
No need to be emotional calling people emotional hah.

Me personally I agree with you and have known full well for over a decade what was going on and still played for my own entertainment and yes, I have stopped paying them for awhile now because the result of that decade has finally reached a point where the new content isn't worth it and the old content is all used up or just not worth $22 bucks a month.
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 09:32:59  
Afania said: »
Ultimately it got a much longer lifespan than what SE planned originally. Which is already very good. But some people had an ultra unrealistic expectation then act emotional when this expectation wasn't met.

Agreed but looking at it objectively, it is understandable.

Not every player of a game keeps up with the news and dev notes/interviews... they just play. Then when things die out or practically die out for whatever reason, it can be a bummer, especially when it's unexpected.
By Draylo 2022-12-12 09:42:36  
Bahamut.Aldy said: »
If there's a category at next year's award for the most sad and pathetic forum thread in a gaming community, FFXI may finally see some representation.

Nope XIV would win that too
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 09:48:43  
Draylo said: »

Nope XIV would win that too

If it makes you feel ANY better, I completed my Battlemage set for my level 32 Blu today.

Blu 4 life!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-12-12 10:43:08  

I mean there is no need to take it so serious tho, 11 players ribbin on 14 now and then does it no harm.
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 10:46:00  
RadialArcana said: »

I mean there is no need to take it so serious tho, 11 players ribbin on 14 now and then does it no harm.

Agreed. I only asked my original question to find out why Flager laughed at them getting an award or felt the need to announce it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-12-12 12:42:03  
People have a tendency to extrapolate their feelings to black and white extremes. "I hate XIV" becomes "this game should not win an award of any kind ever" even if it has objectively good community support when compared to other online games. If this was not the case, we would be hearing more solid examples of why XIV should not have won the award based on the metrics that the VGA voting jury used to judge it instead of the typical knee-jerk reaction of "FFXIV sucks! SE bad! Grrrr!"
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-12 12:47:53  
I checked the 14 Reddit (shudder) I couldn't find a single person disagreeing or dissenting.

That's sus as hell.

I can only go on how 11 used to be even when it was brand new their community support was absolute dogshit. So it's hard to imagine 14 having better support when it's the same people.

Though also it's important to remember voting isn't based on facts or reality. It's exclusively fee fees based. So if you felt some kinda way you voted for it. Whether it's true or not.

Forknife has sponsors and celebrities and pop culture and concerts and all kinds of community type things. And while it's a trash *** garbage game I'd be confident they actually have the better community support.
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 13:16:12  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
I checked the 14 Reddit (shudder) I couldn't find a single person disagreeing or dissenting.

If you hang out long enough, you'll see it in spades. One good place to look is the Daily Questions and FAQ thread. Nothing like watching new players get berated...

That's sus as hell.

The XI community has issues but different issues, just like WoW has different issues.

Fortnite is still going? I thought that game was just a Fad. I knew several who played it and none of them do anymore. I cannot attest to their support but I can assure you that going to a subreddit will not give you what you seek. That's just a section of the community. This award refers to how the company supports and communicates.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-12-12 14:04:23  
It's a reflection of how the community thinks the game supports the community. So it's the perfect place to look.

The awards are not fact, they're voted by the community.
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 14:07:28  
It's a reflection of how the community thinks the game supports the community. So it's the perfect place to look.

I can "kinda" see what you mean but you'd have to do a heck of a lot of reading for a very large sample size including sifting through all the cosplay/glamour/art to come to that conclusion.

No matter the community type, they do give good support to the game and communicate very well. Yoshi-P has answered several questions real player concerns and doesn't feed you lines of BS as a norm like Ion does.
By RadialArcana 2022-12-12 14:31:26  
ff11 players discussing new ff11 patch:

ff11 players who also play ff14:

"why you being mean about ff14?"
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-12-12 16:14:39  

Well, technically they have a selected jury that gets 90% of the vote and the general community gets 10%, but it being "not fact" is true of practically every awards show in existence.