FF14 Wins Best Community Support At VGA.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » FF14 wins best community support at VGA.
FF14 wins best community support at VGA.
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2022-12-10 05:26:15  
They're different games.

I like both.

14 deserves the award.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-12-10 05:57:32  
As much as I dislike 14 as a game and poke at it now and then, 11 and 14 are financially merged at this point. I would prefer 14 to win something than any other game since it indirectly helps XI.

Also a lot of the initial anger with 11 players at 14 was from the early 14 community hating on 11 and wanting it to die so we would all move to 14, there is almost none of that these days. Quite the opposite actually, since a lot of new players come from 14 and a lot of dedicated players play both.

XI doing well helps XIV, and obviously vice versa.
[+]
By Hopalong 2022-12-11 19:36:07  
This seems right at first glance but I don't think SE thinks like that. Even if FFXIV became the most popular mmorpg in the world (which it is close to atm) it wouldn't change the minimal stipend that ffxi gets.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-12-11 19:55:49  
Hopalong said: »
This seems right at first glance but I don't think SE thinks like that. Even if FFXIV became the most popular mmorpg in the world (which it is close to atm) it wouldn't change the minimal stipend that ffxi gets.
FFXIV's success doesn't contribute to XI's success, but XIV's failure would definitely contribute to XI's failure. I'm pretty sure XI would be the first thing to go if their MMORPGs collectively stopped being profitable.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-12-11 19:56:02  
Sorry but I'll never have that viewpoint. XIV has been the direct cause of XIs decline for over a decade. They were literally siphoning funds from XI to fund XIV when WOTG dragged on for literally ages. We went over 6 months with 0 updates at one point in that era. Then the game came out and bombed hard and they continued to throw every dollar possible at it. Then after a HUGE influx of money and ad campaigns, of course it makes it to where it is. They literally appealed to the masses that wanted crap like WoW or candy crush. Then those same people elevate it to some god level status and harass anyone that criticizes it. I'd be interested to see how much they dumped into that game at the expense of other projects. Constant banners in times square, celebrity's ads on youtube, it goes on and on.

They literally converted hardcore XI players who ALWAYS hated those types of games, into their game and to support it and hate on people who don't just because it had a final fantasy skin and tons of ad support behind it. You could do a whole case study on it, they literally took all the naysayers who always said they hated WoW and that gameplay style, and made them mega fans. Just put a stranglehold on the game they loved via less funding and support, make them a little jaded with controversial updates and bam perfect recipe for a mega fan. I lost count the amount of players that game thru these forums saying "UGH how dare they do x! I am quitting to XIV, I wont give them my money!" SE just laughed themselves to the bank with those people.

Now you are just getting the final diehards to convert over, and someday vanadiel will be a shadowrealm in XIV or some universe that was destroyed by a mega comet. How sad it goes down this path, I hate that game with every fibre of my soul lol.
By Hopalong 2022-12-11 20:34:13  
Pretty much that. It was a pride thing, they couldn't be seen as failing and ffxi was the sacrifice.

What's dumb about it is that they never recognized that ffxi is a damn awesome game and to put more effort into it. As time went by, I bet the new SE developers over there were like "look at this old spaghetti code, I don't even want to touch that".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2022-12-11 20:43:26  
A years old game is just the cashcow for the next one, thats how it works. Its the same for car infustry or whatever you want.
FFXI isnt meant to last forever as FFXIV does not either, SE is a compagny and a compagny want to make profits and keep a player base attracted to the current era we're on in case of video games thats it. FFXIV will lose to the future mmo gameplays and then SE will maybe make another mmo where ppl will complain the way XI players does, about the fact that ffxiv is dying because FFXXI took all the playerbase and XIV didnt get improved the way players expected anymore. And just repeat the process.

FFXI is a good game as well as FFXIV is, different gameplay/story for different ppl interest and need for a different era.
[+]
By Hopalong 2022-12-11 20:48:52  
Right now to get anything done, they have to repurpose dev resources from ffxiv to ffxi. Those devs are cutting edge ffxiv people who don't necessarily want to be backlined to ffxi project, or waste their time there so we get a half-assed, formulaic result.

Some of you guys need to apply and say, don't worry, I got this and lead the ffxi revolution.
By Draylo 2022-12-11 20:58:40  
I always like how people love to be so in the middle and say both games are great etc. Of course mostly because they get ***on by the same posters here who love xiv, of course I don't care about controversy. I think the game is Absolute garbage, horrible bland and so generic. The only good thing is got is the music. Yall abandoned XI long ago but who can blame them when SE treated it so horribly. Yes when the next MMO comes out and SE does the same thing to 14, I'll be there as the jaded old grouch laughing at the suffering.
 Carbuncle.Yiazmaat
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Rudra
By Carbuncle.Yiazmaat 2022-12-11 21:19:16  
I play XI since CoP and XIV since ARR launch, both did great, SE cant please everyone. They just made a good job for both and XI playerbase can be happy that the game still exist, a lot of others compagny would have shut the servers already. I think that the japanese conservative side is helping there.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-12-11 21:41:13  
yea we should be grateful at the crumbs we get even tho we are paying subs still and in most cases paying MORE money than XIV players. I get the world isn't fair, but it really sucks to be an XI fan these days. XIV killed my family and burned my whole village down. I think most of my friends forced themselves to like it just to play something that has a bright future and is more or less secure. Its incredible because 90% of them all hated WoW and said they would never play a game like that. Its funny how easily people can be conditioned to like something after massive ad marketing and slowly burning away what they loved.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-12-11 23:25:05  
I would think that most people who have been playing a 20-year-old game would be stoked that the developers support it at all. Instead, FFXI is updated every month and people in the community are still super mad that Square-Enix has the gall to spend more money to support a newer game that brings in more revenue. It's crazy how this whole "business" thing works.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-12-11 23:36:30  
Plenty of decade old MMOs still going and still getting expansions and new updates... we are paying customers, nothing to be "Grateful" for. If the game went free and we were still getting updates I would say ok we should def be grateful, but its not free. Nobody is super mad, just giving opinions like all the *** kissers are giving theirs. I certainly dont think it deserves any awards, thats just my opinion.
By Afania 2022-12-12 03:00:37  
Draylo said: »
I always like how people love to be so in the middle and say both games are great etc. Of course mostly because they get ***on by the same posters here who love xiv

Is that the real reason? I know plenty of people who actually play both, or alternate sub between them.

Despite I don't play xiv I also switch xi sub on and off and play single player games instead of xi depending on my mood. In 2022 we have so many games to play, there is no need to play one game only. We can play them all and like them all.

Even if xiv doesn't exist, plenty of people will leave for newer games too.

I honestly think FFXI needs a pretty big change to be attractive to current gen players: namely new UI designed for gear set focused gameplay. More tools to help us build and manage gear sets. Remove the cumbersome animation locks and have all mechanics tweaked for it, and texture resolution increase. That would make it easier to introduce this game to friends probably.

Its incredible because 90% of them all hated WoW and said they would never play a game like that.

I tried WoW years ago and quit within 3 days. I can't tolerate the weird western "humor" that's part of the world.

But I stayed in xiv for at least 3 months and finished most of the raids at that time before I quit.

So it's not really rare to hate on wow but totally okay with 14, considering the entire style and presentation is different.

Plenty of decade old MMOs still going and still getting expansions and new updates

Pretty sure there are more old MMO being shut down in the past than the ones that survived.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-12-12 04:15:10  
Quote:
Is that the real reason? I know plenty of people who actually play both, or alternate sub between them.

Despite I don't play xiv I also switch xi sub on and off and play single player games instead of xi depending on my mood. In 2022 we have so many games to play, there is no need to play one game only. We can play them all and like them all.

Even if xiv doesn't exist, plenty of people will leave for newer games too.

I think a lot of people do say that to avoid drama and going back and forth. Its not the only reason but its def one of them.

You seem to miss the part where they are both by the same company, why you bring other games into the discussion? It is irrelevant. If there was no 14, they would be spending it on 11. Both exist, so clearly one is getting all the love over the other.

Quote:
I honestly think FFXI needs a pretty big change to be attractive to current gen players: namely new UI designed for gear set focused gameplay. More tools to help us build and manage gear sets. Remove the cumbersome animation locks and have all mechanics tweaked for it, and texture resolution increase. That would make it easier to introduce this game to friends probably.

I think it needs a graphics and UI bump, most people are vain these days and it would be a strong pull by itself. Yup completely agree there.

Quote:
I tried WoW years ago and quit within 3 days. I can't tolerate the weird western "humor" that's part of the world.

But I stayed in xiv for at least 3 months and finished most of the raids at that time before I quit.

So it's not really rare to hate on wow but totally okay with 14, considering the entire style and presentation is different.

The gameplay is similar

Quote:
Pretty sure there are more old MMO being shut down in the past than the ones that survived.

yea but my point still stands, this game is also backed by a pretty wealthy company in comparison to those.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2022-12-12 05:07:16  
It's been quite interesting watching FFXIV grow over the years. I really wanted to play it during 1.0, because its first presentation was FFXI with better graphics. Didn't get to play it then, though.

Convinced to play 2.0 by Kalila from here, and I played XIV for about a year before it really took hold of me. I mainly kept playing it that first year, because I was going through a difficult break up / Navy ***, and didn't really have time to think. I would skim read the story, and call it trite, and really hate on most of its characters.

Still, it was nice to have a group of friends. See a lot of folks from here play, play with them too. Particularly Dracondria and Kali. But also Kittykite, Chuuuuu, and a few others.

The gameplay itself was really tight. Especially the raid fights(which I think should probably have dropped that term come Stormblood, since they all became glorified Trials)<- this is also a huge difference from WoW, from what I understand, because we no longer have raid trash.

Its story kept getting better(though the most recent story was pretty meh/bad), but they altered and reduced how much content we got over the years.

Lots of people actually left or quit XIV. My friendslist on XIV is generally a ghost town, just like in XI these days, except on raid nights or new patches. So I've always seen its community as a thing that's morphed over time as well. It's little wonder to me that SE tries their best to listen/communicate to XIV's community, because they do actually lose quite a lot of folks. Especially between big patches.

I know it has a lot of similarities to WoW, but it's different enough. The real problem being that it drew in the WoW community, and not just with Blizzard's recent blunder. XIV would get a wave of WoW refugees every couple of years. Most visible and vocal with ARR and HW and the recent rush. And every single time, the community itself suffered for it, because it drove away folks who didn't wanna deal with WoW people. That's probably my least favorite thing about XIV. It appeals so much to folks, that the WoW crowd moved in, and most of them have shitty opinions about gaming and life in general. And it's already happened a couple years ago now, but WoW refugees from the HW era already started claiming they're longtime XIV fans and it's their main game now, and they know how it's always been in XIV and Final Fantasy Online! They say stuff like, "I helped foster the inviting community in FFXIV!" And I hate that. I could go as far as saying I hate them. They're lying. They're taking advantage of a table that was already set for them.

The folks who fostered FFXIV's welcoming community were mainly the folks from FFXI or from other MMOs or from no MMOs who kept it going towards the end of 1.0 and then 2.0. It was the nicer aspects of community not present in WoW that did that. And that's the reason why so many people stick with XIV.

Now the most vocal parts of FFXIV's community are all ex-WoW, activists of varying flavors, or observably stupid idjits. The game itself is still a lot of fun, but I find the greatest detriment to any MMO is the community itself being no fun or trying to rabble rouse within it. XIV's inviting community has lead to, "toxic positivity" and "toxic casuals."

And its reward systems somewhat encourage that, since there's barely a grind.

Idk, I guess that was just me rambling. I love FFXI because I can't put it down. I love FFXIV because I can.
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 06:06:03  
Sorry but I'll never have that viewpoint. XIV has been the direct cause of XIs decline for over a decade.

FFXI's decline is due to it being a product of it's time. While those of us who played MMOs like that since they came out, that's not what people today want. People today want either instant gratification or faster rewards. Not many want games where you have to schedule your content and spend the time XI requires to accomplish it.

they literally took all the naysayers who always said they hated WoW and that gameplay style, and made them mega fans

Many people like that were dogging on the game without ever playing it or just playing it for a few levels and deciding "Well, this game sucks!"

Asura.Vyre said: »
Now the most vocal parts of FFXIV's community are all ex-WoW, activists of varying flavors, or observably stupid idjits. The game itself is still a lot of fun, but I find the greatest detriment to any MMO is the community itself being no fun or trying to rabble rouse within it. XIV's inviting community has lead to, "toxic positivity" and "toxic casuals."

This is a stance I've always maintained. I've been in so many "debates" over this. All MMOs I've played have "those people" and their own sets of problems in that regard but FFXIV does not have this magically wonderful community that you hear all the false rumors about. It's just as bad as the next.

That isn't to say it's not a good game as most could critique just about any game now-a-days but still enjoy it.

XI is still a great game to me. Rewards have more of a sense of accomplishment. That may attribute to the amount of work some rewards require vs XIV. Since sparks were nerfed, it takes me months to make a new rema where I can log into XIV right now and I can make a new current-tier relic every 2 days without spending a single gil.

XIV's appeal now is that with my limited gaming time, I can log in for a half hour and actually accomplish something meaningful vs taking a half hour just to prep and get where I need to be.
By Afania 2022-12-12 06:13:39  
If there was no 14, they would be spending it on 11.

I strongly doubt it, lol.

SE said it multiple times in the past that they want to diversify their business model.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-to-diversify-business-model/1100-6134612/

So if 14 doesn't exist, based on their business strategy I think they'll probably use the money on something else instead. Such as a different MMO, mobile games, films production (FF7 AC, Tomb Raider, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV etc), publishing, console AAA games, indie games(square enix collective) or new technology like Blockchain/NFT....they spent a lot of money on many different areas and not just FFXIV.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2022-12-12 06:19:29  
The only good thing is got is the music.
Story.
By SimonSes 2022-12-12 06:20:22  
Im with Afania on this one. This game is only profitable if you spend minimal $ on development. If they would spend more, it wouldn't be profitable at all, because spending more wouldn't attract new players (not much more than it gets now at least). They would just invest money in something else instead.
By Hopalong 2022-12-12 07:00:11  
Our money get stolen and used for ffxiv and then ffxiv gets an award is why best community support award is so ridiculous from ffxi standpoint.
By Draylo 2022-12-12 07:01:07  
Completely disagree with your opinion. If that was the case they would have never invested in this game to begin with. Investing brings back older player and newer ones. Around the time of Adoulin launch i doubt their only thought was there would be new players, its an investment all around and most specifically in its future. That was when ARR was coming out, so why would they expect new players specifically. Too many armchair market analysts here.

Bismarck.Xurion said: »
Story.

Garbage story where people "sacrifice" themselves every expansion.

Mattelot said: »
Sorry but I'll never have that viewpoint. XIV has been the direct cause of XIs decline for over a decade.

FFXI's decline is due to it being a product of it's time. While those of us who played MMOs like that since they came out, that's not what people today want. People today want either instant gratification or faster rewards. Not many want games where you have to schedule your content and spend the time XI requires to accomplish it.

There is a large portion of gamers who do like it. Plenty of older MMO are being played by a wide variety of gamers, not all want the same thing. The decline is almost directly linked to how much investment they do, and its clearly almost nothing these days. They have also treated most veterans of the game quite poorly and have horrible retention as a direct result of that, lack of community communication and of course investment financially.
By Afania 2022-12-12 07:13:10  
Completely disagree with your opinion. If that was the case they would have never invested in this game to begin with.

Wait what? You aren't making any sense here lol. FFXI is a profitable investment according to SE. But that does not meant SE only want to invest in ONE product only, again, according to SE.

You made a bold assumption saying SE choose not to invest more money in XI because XIV exists. You have no evidence to support such claim.

I don't need to be any market analyst to Google SE's own statement saying they want to diversify their business model: that pretty much explains why FFXI's money isn't going back to FFXI. XIV is just one SE project out of many. Even if it doesn't exist SE will probably invest in different area according to their own statement.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2022-12-12 07:16:14  
Story.
Garbage story where people "sacrifice" themselves every expansion
Wrong.
By Hopalong 2022-12-12 07:27:54  
You can't take someone's money for an apple at the market and give them an orange.

They have to at least try to make it seem like we get an apple (which they aren't).
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 07:28:58  
Completely disagree with your opinion. If that was the case they would have never invested in this game to begin with. Investing brings back older player and newer ones. Around the time of Adoulin launch i doubt their only thought was there would be new players, its an investment all around and most specifically in its future. That was when ARR was coming out, so why would they expect new players specifically. Too many armchair market analysts here.

Bringing back older players is a slippery slope. Many of us who played XI in it's prime are older now and many have families. Several people I know who still play XI and never have time constraints are 40 year old adults who still live with their parents. Not all, mind you...

New players to XI is not going to be a common thing. Again, despite all the QoL changes made, the game is still time-heavy and most gamers today do not want that. They want quick results. Going into a raid and it taking less than 30 minutes is more appealing than a 2 hour dyna farm.

There is a large portion of gamers who do like it. Plenty of older MMO are being played by a wide variety of gamers, not all want the same thing. The decline is almost directly linked to how much investment they do, and its clearly almost nothing these days. They have also treated most veterans of the game quite poorly and have horrible retention as a direct result of that, lack of community communication and of course investment financially.

But nowhere even remotely close to the number of gamers who do not.

Yes, there are still a few of us left and that's why those games still chug along and some are on their last leg.
 Bismarck.Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2022-12-12 07:34:04  
Imagine Fallout 1 fans complaining that Fallout 4 won the bafta for best game, but it wasn't right because they took their money and reinvested in into another game that won an award.
[+]
By Hopalong 2022-12-12 07:36:02  
Sounds legit and no imagination needed in SE's case. Never played fallout so not sure if analogy works at all. I think you can replace "fans" with "paying subscribers".
By Mattelot 2022-12-12 07:41:52  
Hopalong said: »
Sounds legit. Never played fallout so not sure if analogy works at all. I think you can replace "fans" with "paying subscribers.

I get what he's saying. He should have said Fallout New Vegas instead of Fallout 1 because many Fallout New Vegas fans were angry for all kinds of reasons over Fallout 4.
By Draylo 2022-12-12 07:57:46  
Story.
Garbage story where people "sacrifice" themselves every expansion
Wrong.

Cool opinión