Is Quietus Worth It?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Is Quietus Worth It?
Is Quietus Worth It?
 Bismarck.Mooze
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Mooze27
By Bismarck.Mooze 2022-09-29 13:00:41  
Is Quietus worth bothering to get? I’ve had Apoc since 75 cap so I never even bothered with the first scythe trial, and is hasn’t every really ran thru my head until today. Is it worth dumping the stuff into a trial weapon to unlock Quietus? Or should I be fine with the rest of the scythe WSs?
 Asura.Bippin
サーバ: Asura
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-09-29 13:31:39  
Takes like what a few mil and like 10mins to unlock it?
Quietus is used in some SCs

Not sure why you wouldn't unlock it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-09-29 14:11:11  
Agreed, no reason not to do it.

Now is a particularly good time to do it too, considering that the WoE items (Coin of ____, Devious Dice, Liminal Residue) are available with login points this month and so supply should be up/prices down. Or if you have enough mules/points, it probably only needs something in the neighborhood of 5,100 login points total to get enough items on your own from login points (assuming roughly 6 sacks each of Dice/Residue and 5 pouches of the applicable Coin; 17 x 300 points each = 5100, give or take a few pouches since they give a random quantity of the items). Since the items were up, I just spent some login points last night to unlock a couple Empy WS on an alt, super easy!

That being said, Quietus might not be super important for an Apoc user. I can't find a single SC where it's truly necessary and can't be replaced with another good Scythe WS. One or more of Cross Reaper, Spiral Hell, or Catastrophe are generally able to substitute just fine.

But Quietus does still have its place as your only "ignores target's defense" Scythe WS. Can come in handy when you're fighting high def mobs and perhaps not getting the atk+/def- buffs/debuffs you may ideally want. I use it sometimes on my own DRK when using Apoc (which is the only high end Scythe I have).
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-09-29 14:56:30  
Quietus is for making Umbra with an Anguta. Insurgency -> Entropy -> Cross Reaper -> Quietus. The WS is very meh but the Umbra will hit capped damage. Aeonics are stupid easy to get and end up being really good at multi-stepping SC's.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-29 15:03:11  
I use Quietus a lot while making skillchains by myself or with others. You can do Quietus > Quietus for an easy darkness, too. Best used either with Liberator (with aftermath) or Anguta, but it can be used on Apoc as well, but perhaps not as much.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2022-09-29 15:10:48  
I'm using Quietus constantly, and in moments where buffs gets stripped, I often find the "ignores defense" aspect of it can make a high TP Quietus outpace a high TP Cross Reaper with Redemption. Is it my go-to WS? Certainly not. But I'd put in in the top-tier of Scythe WSs, its extremely versatile in skillchains (as mentioned above), and performs acceptable to good with pretty much any RMEA Scythe.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-09-29 15:25:32  
At 1K it's a pretty good WS, it just doesn't scale up with TP so CR ends up better, especially with something like Anguta. Scythe gets massive base DMG values, so fTP doesn't need to be very high.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2022-09-29 15:30:39  
it doesn't scale with TP correct, just the amount of defense ignored scales with TP- so that's why I cited the situation of "buffs wiped" where that extra defense ignored does get noticed.

And yes, in "normal" situations, CR is without question my go-to WS as well.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-09-29 15:43:58  
Sometimes you just need to put Bat Wings on things...
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-29 22:12:23  
Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Sometimes you just need to put Bat Wings on things...

Quietus has one of the best weapon skill animations in the game. Batman would be proud.
[+]
By Onimaru 2022-09-30 07:00:30  
Moderate to strong dmg with low tp, self SC capabilities (Darkness to MB Drain 3 to), looks cool, good for soloing. Yeah, get it.
 Bismarck.Mooze
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Mooze27
By Bismarck.Mooze 2022-09-30 09:23:54  
Picked it up last night! Thanks guys/gals!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-09-30 15:16:59  
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-09-30 15:56:15  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
it doesn't scale with TP correct, just the amount of defense ignored scales with TP- so that's why I cited the situation of "buffs wiped" where that extra defense ignored does get noticed.

Something to keep in mind is that even when unbuffed, for 3k TP Quietus to beat 3k TP Cross Reaper, you need some other defense down on the mob. Under normal conditions, 50% defense down is equivalent to doubling your attack, and which is in turn roughly equivalent to doubling your damage (allowing for some pdif break point strangeness to make it slightly more or slightly less depending on your precise cratio). As Quietus has a 3.0 fTP and 3k CR has a 7+1 fTP, that's not enough to put it over CR.

If the mob already has some defense down on it, that changes a bit. With 18% defense down (Dia II + Light Shot), chopping off another 50% means your damage jumps by roughly 2.5 times, which puts it at roughly even with Cross Reaper (around 7.7 effective fTP vs 7+1 fTP). Roughly ~20%+ defense down on the mob (~15%+ with Redemption) is the point where 3k TP Quietus becomes the clear winner vs 3k TP Cross Reaper when far from cap.
By SimonSes 2022-09-30 16:45:05  
Asura.Geriond said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Something to keep in mind is that even when unbuffed, for 3k TP Quietus to beat 3k TP Cross Reaper, you need some other defense down on the mob. Under normal conditions, 50% defense down is equivalent to doubling your attack, and which is in turn roughly equivalent to doubling your damage (allowing for some pdif break point strangeness to make it slightly more or slightly less depending on your precise cratio). As Quietus has a 3.0 fTP and 3k CR has a 7+1 fTP, that's not enough to put it over CR.

If the mob already has some defense down on it, that changes a bit. With 18% defense down (Dia II + Light Shot), chopping off another 50% means your damage jumps by roughly 2.5 times, which puts it at roughly even with Cross Reaper (around 7.7 effective fTP vs 7+1 fTP). Roughly ~20%+ defense down on the mob (~15%+ with Redemption) is the point where 3k TP Quietus becomes the clear winner vs 3k TP Cross Reaper when far from cap.

It's ok in theory, but it will almost never happen on DRK in practice. DRK with just LR, food and endark2 has like ~3200-3300 attack in Cross Reaper uncapped attack set. With 20% def down even on something with 1500 def, it would put it at 2.66~2.75 cratio. That means, even with PDL setup for Quietus (it has 29%PDL) max pDIF (5.805) is only ~2.11-2.18 times higher. Maybe rarely with LR down (dispel), no Trusts and buffs and soloing something really high level, you could get into scenario where 20% def down would result in only like 2.0 cratio and you could indeed push cratio over 2.5 times higher with 50% more def down, but it would be super niche I think.
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2022-10-01 13:34:54  

It REALLY shines on very high level mobs, where the ignores defense actually matters, so yes it's worth it.... There's much better options for trash mobs that you're already attack capped on.