20th Anniversary Reddit AMA
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 26 27 28
 Asura.Essylt
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2022-05-19 09:33:34  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I thought they did that because the PS2 hard drive couldn't store any more big updates
I suspect it was always about business circumstances and executive will rather than any technical limitations. If someone in SE's top management decided tomorrow that the company needs to release a new XI expansion, that would be all it takes to make one happen.
 Odin.Lusiphur
サーバ: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-19 09:37:22  
1/2 the posters on this site never read.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-19 09:40:50  
Time to start a petition. Let them see how many ppl would pay for an expansion so they know its worth it!
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-05-19 09:42:19  
Draylo said: »
its worth it!

draylo's back, boys
[+]
By GwenStacy 2022-05-19 10:10:19  
i just want race change
[+]
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
サーバ: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2022-05-19 10:19:39  
Shiva.Thorny said: »
Draylo said: »
its worth it!

draylo's back, boys

[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-19 11:06:51  
Quote:
In connection to VR, thinking of adding a new area but not an open area like Reisenjima. More of a 'place to fight', 'place for stories'. Probably to appear near the end of VR.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51608/dev-tracker-discussion/282/#3625410

Manque posted this in the other thread.

I was curious why they were not showing off the new zone they were adding for VR in the 20th stream, seems they aren't adding a new zone for VR. It's worse than even I imagined.

I'm cutting back how much I spend on this game, and I might do more than that at this point. What a bunch of money grabbing gits.

It's getting to the point we might as well play on a private server, they are taking the P.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-05-19 11:12:28  
RadialArcana said: »
I'm cutting back how much I spend on this game, and I might do more than that at this point. What a bunch of money grabbing gits.

It's getting to the point we might as well play on a private server, they are taking the P.

Honestly, seeing even you and Draylo take on negative opinions after the debates following the new wardrobes is as strong a statement of public perception as I can imagine. Seems they're finally burning through their accumulated good will.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
サーバ: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2022-05-19 11:55:48  
They just lie, lets be honest. Again, they stated after wings they could never add another expansion and so started doing mini expansions. Then in 2013? They made seekers of adoulin, which was a massive expansion.
So this was my biggest confusion same with the ui update. Like they talked all this stuff then came out with expansion. The ui update is supposedly on hold because of the stuff VR stuff but I gotta be honest I would've rather the UI update over this story. Not saying the story is bad or anything just rather change the two. My question would be how long if at all will players have to for a UI update? Also is this truly the last expansion we the players are gonna a see?
By Draylo 2022-05-19 11:58:34  
Honestly have been having similar thoughts... really with all the damn free campaigns you can wait until they squeeze the content out in a year and try it then. They really goofed this all in my opinion. Oh well, what can you do.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-05-19 12:08:59  
The biggest thing I'm annoyed about is their continued energy and time investment into story content and short lived, boring missions like VR. I went into the month expecting that we were nearing the end of it, not ~1/2 through, meaning it's going to be a continued source of resource drain rather than adding gameplay content people care about.

I get the scale of resource usage on the two is different, but I think they could have trimmed some of the fat off VR, slimmed down these missions, and given us some meaningful content instead of such a long running mission line. IMO this shows a massive disconnect between what people are after and what they are delivering.
By SimonSes 2022-05-19 12:12:22  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
The biggest thing I'm annoyed about is their continued energy and time investment into story content and short lived, boring missions like VR. I went into the month expecting that we were nearing the end of it, not ~1/2 through, meaning it's going to be a continued source of resource drain rather than adding gameplay content people care about.

I get the scale of resource usage on the two is different, but I think they could have trimmed some of the fat off VR, slimmed down these missions, and given us some meaningful content instead of such a long running mission line.

This I cant agree with. Some people care more about gameplay stuff and some people care more about story. So it's yours opinion, not people's opinion.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-05-19 12:14:02  
Story has always been an integral part of the Final Fantasy series. I won't say TVR has been of exceptional quality, but I can't fault investment into story. Maybe forum posting FFXI players don't like it much, but it will get casuals who enjoy storyline to reactivate to experience the rest.
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-19 12:19:37  
In the 4gamer interview, Matsui says he was inspired to try to do a longer form story after how popular the Siren quest was.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-05-19 12:30:46  
SimonSes said: »
This I cant agree with. Some people care more about gameplay stuff and some people care more about story. So it's yours opinion, not people's opinion.

Considering the amount of complaining about the lack of new zones/content that was expected and lack of excitement over TVR this anniversary, I don't think I'm in the minority here.

My point was also less that they shouldn't be investing in story content, but that the amount of investment and energy put into it should be better balanced with gameplay content.
By SimonSes 2022-05-19 12:44:29  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
Considering the amount of complaining about the lack of new zones/content that was expected and lack of excitement over TVR this anniversary, I don't think I'm in the minority here.

Casuals and JP players dont write on forums your read.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-05-19 19:38:00  
I honestly think some of the weird and protracted development cycles for this game comes from the difference in JP development culture. I read that it's generally considered bad form to override previous director's vision or decisions. Tanaka did an incredible amount of silly things and I can only imagine how hard it must have been to pick up the game after he moved on to FFXIV. Matsui strikes me as fairly conservative or traditional.

That being said, it sounds like he is being permanently assigned to the game which means, if this kind of thing was getting in his way either personally or as part of SEs actyal business culture, it should not be going forward.

100% zero evidence to back up this assertion, which seems like the correct amount for this thread.
[+]
 Valefor.Esdain
サーバ: Valefor
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2022-05-19 20:03:12  
This is going to be a weird AMA since AMA are supposed to actually have questions answered, and yet SE is quite evasive (or flat out lies) when it comes to answering any questions.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-19 20:06:28  
Nothing really weird about it. They have something they want to say and pretend to answer questions in the hopes that someone will ask what they already want to answer.

In addition they get to answer *** questions and it's good optics for the morons.

I guess it's fair to say AMA done by a company in general is weird, because they as a company don't actually want to answer "anything" they want to answer a specific subset of questions. But "weird" isn't the right word, disingenuous is the proper word.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-20 05:58:28  
Quote:
──The new scenario “Eclipse Embryo” (VR), which was added and started in August 2020, gives the impression that the climax is finally approaching. Please tell us about future developments and when it will be completed.

Fujito: The time to complete it is really down, but I wonder if it will be a little later than expected. I'm a little worried if I can fold the unfolded furoshiki well (bitter smile). We're also preparing some new battlefields this time, but we're not implementing the new areas.

──Why is that?

Fujito: In "Vana Deal's Star Song, (rhapsodies)" we added three areas: Escali Ta (zitah), Escal On (ruaun), and Izumijima (reisenjima), but in the end, people concentrated on Izumijima (reisenjim). People are concentrated in online games, but I want to avoid all scenarios and battles there. Regarding the battlefield, there is an advantage that it is less likely to be a problem even if it gets a little crowded because it basically adopts a layer area (instance).

[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-20 06:16:21  
Quote:
──The new scenario “Eclipse Embryo” (VR), which was added and started in August 2020, gives the impression that the climax is finally approaching. Please tell us about future developments and when it will be completed.

Fujito: The time to complete it is really down, but I wonder if it will be a little later than expected. I'm a little worried if I can fold the unfolded furoshiki well (bitter smile). We're also preparing some new battlefields this time, but we're not implementing the new areas.

──Why is that?

Fujito: In "Vana Deal's Star Song, (rhapsodies)" we added three areas: Escali Ta (zitah), Escal On (ruaun), and Izumijima (reisenjima), but in the end, people concentrated on Izumijima (reisenjim). People are concentrated in online games, but I want to avoid all scenarios and battles there. Regarding the battlefield, there is an advantage that it is less likely to be a problem even if it gets a little crowded because it basically adopts a layer area (instance).

It is kind of a PITA you guys always drag discussion across 2-3 topics. It's no wonder half of the posters are confused and clueless about what's going on.
By RadialArcana 2022-05-20 06:53:08  
Odin.Lusiphur said: »
It is kind of a PITA you guys always drag discussion across 2-3 topics.

Take a moment to consider why.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Aerix 2022-05-23 04:41:43  
Made a thread on the FFXI subreddit to hopefully coordinate some more interesting/useful questions instead of the AMA getting filled with nothing but fluff.

Any feedback or help (even just upvotes for visibility) would be very welcome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/uvw90c/coordinating_questions_for_the_ffxi_dev_team_ama
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-23 05:06:23  
Stop asking for a shared subscription.
By Aerix 2022-05-23 05:10:09  
Stop asking for a shared subscription.

Sure, if you can actually give a good reason why it shouldn't be a thing. It's almost guaranteed to benefit FFXI's subscriber numbers due to FFXIV's sheer size and because there are a lot of former FFXI players.

I'm aware it's been asked many times before, but it was a thing during FFXIV 1.0, so there's a chance it can be again if pushed for.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-23 05:19:10  
>less money coming into XI
>less money coming into the division in general since XI and XIV both contribute to the same pool now
>more costs due to more players on the servers
>more players on the servers, causing higher queue times and more congestion
>most of the people coming in being solo players, XI isn't a party only game anymore
>XIV players logging into XI just to troll and be asshats, cause why not? They do it already on forums.
>bad feeling when people paying $12 to $100 a month for XI know others are effectively getting it for free in their cereal box

There are no upsides, and a lot of downsides.

No company running multiple products are going to give you one free just cause you pay for the other, if you're going to say wow and wow classic they are the same game.

The only reason they had it during 1 was because they were trying to get xi players to move to xiv. They wanted to shut down 11, it was never meant to be a long term buisness plan.
By Aerix 2022-05-23 05:24:26  
>less money coming into the division in general since XI and XIV both contribute to the same pool now
>most of the people coming in being solo players, XI isn't a party only game anymore
>XIV players logging into XI just to troll and be asshats, cause why not? They do it already on forums.
>bad feeling when people paying $12 to $100 a month for XI know others are effectively getting it for free in their cereal box

No company running multiple products are going to give you one free just cause you pay for the other, if you're going to say wow and wow classic they are the same game.

1+2) Looks like you didn't even read the question properly. People would still pay full sub price for both games under this suggestion, but simply get some benefits for paying double. SE would still make signfiicantly more money than before simply due to additional subscriber numbers (who probably wouldn't have paid for extra Wardrobes/retainers anyway).

In any case, I reworded some parts to make it clearer before anybody else comments with a knee-jerk reaction.

3+4) Asura problems, not everyone else's. A lot of servers are practically dead half the time.

5) Design issue, that's on SE to fix separately and has no bearing on keeping the game afloat.

6) Again, Asura problems. FFXIV players are typically more civil than those in FFXI.

7) Again, you clearly didn't properly read. And anyone paying $100 of their own free will to multibox has no grounds to whine.

None of your downsides are actually reasonable and there are definite upsides you are ignoring to make your point.

The only reason they had it during 1 was because they were trying to get xi players to move to xiv. They wanted to shut down 11, it was never meant to be a long term buisness plan.

And now it's a good opportunity to move FFXIV players to FFXI during content lulls. It's not a difficult concept.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2022-05-23 05:54:10  
Aerix said: »

1+2) Looks like you didn't even read the question properly. People would still pay full sub price for both games under this suggestion, but simply get some benefits for paying double. SE would still make signfiicantly more money than before simply due to additional subscriber numbers (who probably wouldn't have paid for extra Wardrobes/retainers anyway).

In any case, I reworded some parts to make it clearer before anybody else comments with a knee-jerk reaction.

3+4) Asura problems, not everyone else's. A lot of servers are practically dead half the time.

5) Design issue, that's on SE to fix separately and has no bearing on keeping the game afloat.

6) Again, Asura problems. FFXIV players are typically more civil than those in FFXI.

7) Again, you clearly didn't properly read. And anyone paying $100 of their own free will to multibox has no grounds to whine.

None of your downsides are actually reasonable and there are definite upsides you are ignoring to make your point.

And now it's a good opportunity to move FFXIV players to FFXI during content lulls. It's not a difficult concept.

Its Radial, why bother replying at all? 2 of its answers were "more people playing XI = bad".
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 26 27 28