New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » 20th Anniversary Reddit AMA
20th Anniversary Reddit AMA
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 26 27 28
By Mattelot 2022-05-25 11:08:07  
axetofall said: »
Lakshmi.Stepth said: »
If this Kickstarter for an expansion actually started, how much would people actually be willing to give?

I could maybe justify $100 if they gave a good enough pitch, keeping in mind I’m still paying for subs and the eventual retail release of this expansion at $30+.

I don't think a Kickstarter would accomplish a thing, so $0

I'll continue to pay my XI sub though

It's not a completely horrible idea. I've seen kickstarters succeed that catered to even more niche groups than this. There have also been some that were barely funded then became huge successes.

Do I think it will happen? No, honestly.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-25 11:09:23  
Gotta admit that even since moving to Colorado four years ago, Snowflakes in May are still a new thing to me.

Those of us screaming- BEGGING- others to just wake up and start looking at these discussions with just a modicum of reality aren't trying to crush dreams or hurt people's feelings. Its just time folks...its not pandering or defending to be a realist.

This game is what it is, its not going to ever be much more, and the few moments where it does hit a bunt to get on base, treat it like a homerun and enjoy it for the singular moment, not as some secret new commitment to another 20 years of FFXI growth and development. NO ONE saying these things are doing so just for shock value or insult fodder, I promise you that. We're saying it because more often than not, we like you also love this game.

There's a lot of good that comes from spending time with a loved one during their final days rather than running from doctor to doctor looking for a mythical solution. Sometimes its best to just nestle in next to their bed and read the newspaper with them and at least have some sweet memories at the end.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-25 11:13:36  
By RadialArcana 2022-05-25 11:13:51  
Quote:
I can't tell you the last time I saw a FF11 article on a videogame website.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-25 11:17:31  
I haven't checked this thread much since after I posted about someone starting a Kickstarter. I personally don't ever care for something like that and wouldn't donate a drachma coin, but I suggested it because there are some of yall die hard fans who simply cannot accept where FFXI is right now, and how it will never be what yall think it should be.

So i said "put your money where your mouth is". Some defended it.
Other People shot it down, oh ok. Cool.

I come back a day later and this thread is in literal flames over the idea. Wow. Either it's viable or it isn't, can move on from it.

...Has anyone actually started the kickstarter campaign to even see where it goes, or are people going to just debate this into perpetuity?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-25 11:21:55  
You should know by now no one here is willing to actually do anything.

They won't even bother complaining, except to each other.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-25 11:23:29  
There's nothing to be done, and even if there was, there aren't enough ants left in the colony to take down the grasshopper.
[+]
By Banhammer 2022-05-25 11:24:00  
I don't know why you guys are so *** mad about trying. It's not a big deal and requires nothing from you. Let them give it a go. There will be no PR disaster for SE. I keep reading how there's only 1 person playing Babylon's Fall. Does anyone care? That's infinitely more bad PR than a failed kickstarter campaign for a 20-year-old MMO that nobody knows or cares about.

The only valid argument I've read so far is that SE would be on the hook for any extra expenses if development went sidways but that's a risk for them to decide and I don't think it should stop anyone wanting to raise the topic.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-25 11:24:16  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
There's nothing to be done, and even if there was, there aren't enough ants left in the colony to take down the grasshopper.

I mean it was an asinine idea, just threw it out to see who actually had the motivation to get the ball rolling. It probably wouldn't work, but neither does debating on the internet for dozens of pages about the same topic. At least one has a infinitesimal chance of working.

(I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I have no intention of starting it, donating, or hindering the progress, just saying if you guys really want to see something done, try something instead of talking all the time).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Stepth
user: Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2022-05-25 11:24:43  
“We want to show SE that it’s worth their time and commitment to make an expansion!”

“Who will run the Kickstarter campaign?”

“Eh, too much time and commitment for me.”
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-25 11:25:18  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

I mean it was an asinine idea, just threw it out to see who actually had the motivation to get the ball rolling. It probably wouldn't work, but neither does debating on the internet for dozens of pages about the same topic. At least one has a infinitesimal chance of working.

I honestly didn't even know you were the one who initially started it so really none of my posts have been directed towards you
By Viciouss 2022-05-25 11:26:32  
Banhammer said: »
I don't know why you guys are so *** mad about trying. It's not a big deal and requires nothing from you. Let them give it a go. There will be no PR disaster for SE. I keep reading how there's only 1 person playing Babylon's Fall. Does anyone care? That's infinitely more bad PR than a failed kickstarter campaign for a 20-year-old MMO that nobody knows or cares about.

The only valid argument I've read so far is that SE would be on the hook for any extra expenses if development went sidways but that's a risk for them to decide and I don't think it should stop anyone wanting to raise the topic.

This isn't how Kickstarters work. You need developer buy in. SE isn't going to be on the hook for anything because they don't even know this little idea exists. It's not a Shenmue 3 situation, where they are asking for money and then making a game.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-25 11:26:58  

I honestly didn't even know you were the one who initially started it so really none of my posts have been directed towards you

Oh, well ya. That's fine. I saw a few posts from people saying how dumb the idea was, and that maybe I wasn't understanding how SE operates (I do). I didn't think people would get up in arms about the idea.
By Banhammer 2022-05-25 11:28:10  
Viciouss said: »

This isn't how Kickstarters work. You need developer buy in. SE isn't going to be on the hook for anything because they don't even know this little idea exists. It's not a Shenmue 3 situation, where they are asking for money and then making a game.

No ***. Everyone knows how it works.
By Viciouss 2022-05-25 11:28:51  

Um, are you sure?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-25 11:29:35  

with how some people have been talking about it you sure could have fooled me
[+]
By Aerix 2022-05-25 11:30:38  
Here I was called delusional, but now people are talking about Kickstarting an expansion?

The dev team literally doesn't have sufficient PS2 middleware anymore to risk creating something as major as another expansion. They stopped doing those after RoV because they only have a handful left which they need to deliver stuff like TVR at this point. Once those break they are done with proper updates. It'd just be bug fixes and number tweaking at that point. Anything with assets will be impossible.

Assuming they aren't lying the few kits they have left are hard to maintain and cannot be repaired once they break: https://www.4gamer.net/games/005/G000546/20220511037/
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-25 11:31:37  
You need developer buy in. SE isn't going to be on the hook for anything because they don't even know this little idea exists.

They have an idea that people would like to see more from the game. They were specifically asked a question about if money were no issue, what would they do for the game. They gave the answer everyone wanted to hear, but with no obligation to deliver. People are more than welcome to tag the dev team in every single social media platform or whatever, and get the ball rolling to see who notices. All they can say is no (or ignore the proposal altogether)

If some of yall love FFXI so much to see it improved, take your best shot.
By Viciouss 2022-05-25 11:32:54  

Um, are you sure?
By Banhammer 2022-05-25 11:33:00  
You'd need to pressure Yoshida. He seems like the guy really in charge over there.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-25 11:33:03  
Aerix said: »
but now people are talking about Kickstarting an expansion?

Not just an expansion. The dev specifically mentioned upgrading the development tools, if he had the resources. Based on his own words, money would be used for that endeavor, then an expansion. It's all from the AMA.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-25 11:33:26  

Like I tried to say a few times- it doesn't come from a major disagreement in what y'all desire, its almost that we're doing it out of sympathy the way one comforts a child who just saw their dog run over by a car.

Those constantly treating a billion-dollar corporation with multiple projects planned years out like its your local drugstore that stopped selling Cherry Pepsi need to grow up and realize (I can't believe we're having to type this yet again) that we don't matter to SE. The "What does it hurt to try" comments? It hurts you. And it also detracts from possible legitimate improvements that SE could implement within their willingness, budget, and capabilities.

I keep seeing comments of "well, it wouldn't be THAT hard", etc. Clearly you are correct, the actual process of doing what many hope for isn't impossible- its just impossible within their business model. Your hopes, dreams, and desires don't matter a damn if they don't fit in that model. And we don't have the ability to "vote with our wallets" because SE will just shut it all down or go to a real maintenance mode, not just a rumored one. Trust us, SE would love that option.

So please- just temper hopes some and be realistic. Again- its not pandering or defending to be a realist.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-25 11:34:48  
You need developer buy in. SE isn't going to be on the hook for anything because they don't even know this little idea exists.

They have an idea that people would like to see more from the game. They were specifically asked a question about if money were no issue, what would they do for the game. They gave the answer everyone wanted to hear, but with no obligation to deliver. People are more than welcome to tag the dev team in every single social media platform or whatever, and get the ball rolling to see who notices. All they can say is no (or ignore the proposal altogether)

If some of yall love FFXI so much to see it improved, take your best shot.

They said if money and resources weren't an issue though. A Kickstarter would have practically no chance of solving that latter one. They aren't going to hire more staff just to make a one-off expansion, and I really, really doubt that they'd divert resources from the golden child just to satisfy the Kickstarter, either.
By Aerix 2022-05-25 11:36:25  
Aerix said: »
but now people are talking about Kickstarting an expansion?

Not just an expansion. The dev specifically mentioned upgrading the development tools, if he had the resources. Based on his own words, money would be used for that endeavor, then an expansion. It's all from the AMA.

I know. I was one of the people to ask about modernizing the code base to get rid of the PS2 middleware requirement and got a response from the dev team.

The point is that nobody should even be talking about expansions at this point. Even if they modernize the game after several years it'd still take another 2 years for them to make an expansion on top of that.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-05-25 11:36:26  
I didn't think people would get up in arms about the idea.

Dude if you want new content the critically acclaimed MMORPG FINAL FANTASY XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award winning Heavensward expansion.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-25 11:37:43  
RadialArcana said: »
I didn't think people would get up in arms about the idea.

Dude if you want new content the critically acclaimed MMORPG FINAL FANTASY XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award winning Heavensward expansion.

I have a level 35 Lalafell and I haven't been back since. My free campaign has gone on for like 2 years.
[+]
By Banhammer 2022-05-25 11:52:28  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Like I tried to say a few times- it doesn't come from a major disagreement in what y'all desire, its almost that we're doing it out of sympathy the way one comforts a child who just saw their dog run over by a car.

I have zero emotional attachment to this game and have been firmly in the just shut it down camp because at this point, it's just sad and I refused to be milked for any more cash w/o a roadmap or firm commitments.

Quote:
Those constantly treating a billion-dollar corporation with multiple projects planned years out like its your local drugstore that stopped selling Cherry Pepsi need to grow up and realize (I can't believe we're having to type this yet again) that we don't matter to SE. The "What does it hurt to try" comments? It hurts you. And it also detracts from possible legitimate improvements that SE could implement within their willingness, budget, and capabilities.

This just doesn't even make sense. It causes absolutely no harm whatsoever. The worst they can say is "no". Have you ever asked a girl out? Have you ever asked for the big promotion? Have you ever taken any sort of action in your entire lives?

The fact of the matter, is that fan campaigns often work. They also often fail. So you make the ask and you either get it or you don't. The notion that even asking will distract from current development is absurd.

Quote:
SE will just shut it all down or go to a real maintenance mode, not just a rumored one. Trust us, SE would love that option
Source: Trust me bro

The point of getting them to accept a crowdsource campaign is to alter their business model. This sort of don't rock the boat mentality or they'll shut down the game is silly.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-25 11:58:23  
Can't fully disagree with your post- I definitely admit going for the auditory flow of words more than factual evidence with "Trust us, SE would love that option".

But your final comment probably better sums up my thoughts than you could have expected- The point of getting them to accept a crowdsource campaign is to alter their business model. If you think a crowdsource of income will alter their business model that already posted 2021 Net Revenue over 3 billion USD, re-evaluate what you think alters business models.
By Draylo 2022-05-25 12:01:43  
Ah yes the majority of ex XI players or those that randomly come back and quit again, mainly XIV players. They are coming to tell people who love XI that they are delusional and need mental help. Jesus lol, get a grip. Most of us are quite aware this company doesnt give a ***about this game. but they are just throwing ideas to see what they can do. I find it incredible that its always those that "moved" on to XIV and just look down their nose at people who still like XI. Newsflash, this is going to happen to your precious XIV one day too so remember how this looks before you decide to throw ***at people who still enjoy XI. But please continue the circle jerk liking each others doomsday posts.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 26 27 28