Eternals OST Seems To Be Inspired By Memoro De La Stona

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Eternals OST seems to be inspired by Memoro De La Stona
Eternals OST seems to be inspired by Memoro De La Stona
By Zubis 2021-11-05 09:24:55  
YouTube Video Placeholder

@1m55s

vs

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-11-05 10:13:03  
Oh yeah that's really close. I'd definitely lose my mind if I saw the movie and suddenly heard that song lol

Exactly the same melody, just like a fraction slower.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2021-11-05 11:02:17  
Wth. That's like ridiculously close lol. Someone post this on twitter and tag SE. xD
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-11-05 13:58:25  
That's way too similar to be coincidence. There's probably a copyright claim in there somewhere. I wonder how long it'll take them to find out about it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-11-05 14:08:11  
I wonder how far copyright on stuff like that goes. In this case it's really obvious, whether it's an homage or if Djawadi actually thought nobody would notice. The tempo is slowed down, but the relative timing and actual notes are 1:1 for sure (I don't know much about music terminology).
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-11-05 14:16:48  
I mean, Disney and SE have teamed up before, so maybe was a Disney/Marvel nod like "Those FF nerds are gonna love this part!"
By Draylo 2021-11-05 14:22:45  
It's close but not the exact same. FFXI sounds better to me
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-11-05 14:28:24  
It's sung in a different language, but I'm pretty sure those are the exact same 8 notes.

Obviously not the entire song is the same, but the first half of the chorus is identical.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-11-05 14:28:48  
I recall something similar that happened just over a decade ago when Coldplay released their well known Viva La Vida album. Joe Satriani was a much lesser known artist at the time, but he had composed a piece decades earlier called "If I could Fly", and the most notorious chord in viva la vida that put the song on the map was mirrored nearly flawlessly between the two songs. Joe sued coldplay for copyright infringement, and in the end the case was dismissed. But it's highly likely by the way the court documents read that the two parties settled out of court, and while the details were never made public we're led to believe that Coldplay paid Joe some unknowable amount of money under the table to let the case slide.

I'm pretty sure if S-E wanted to push the issue they could. The eternals is poised to be a box office hit, and anticipated to be a candidate for several award nominations. Copyright claims are harder to push when there's very little personal gain from it, but in the case of the eternals movie the financial gain is very significant. There's likely to be legal grounds for some form of compensation if s-e's lawyers pushed the issue.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-11-05 14:32:19  
Didn't Vanilla Ice use a straight-up audio sample from Under Pressure for Ice-Ice Baby without anyone's permission? lol
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-11-05 14:33:15  
Quote:
It's close but not the exact same. FFXI sounds better to me

That's the whole point of copyright though. Borrowing a portion of a piece of art, especially when it's one of the the most important parts of the piece, or even the centerpiece of the composition, is still viewed as intellectual property infringement. You don't have to copy the entire thing, just enough of it to make it so that your piece is not original enough. In the case of Memora De la Stono and Across the Oceans of Time the similarities are striking. There's grounds for a claim there. Whether s-e would persue it is up to them, but there have been a lot of people who have sued for far less.... and won (I still remember the lawsuit against Mcdonald's because their coffee was too hot, and the plaintiff burned her lap when she spilled it all over myself).
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-11-05 14:39:30  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
(I still remember the lawsuit against Mcdonald's because their coffee was too hot, and the plaintiff burned her lap when she spilled it all over myself).
Not to completely derail the thread, but she was just looking for McDonald's to help pay for the surgical costs because they were using faulty lids and had their coffee temperature set too high. They'd had multiple complaints from many other people before and never did anything about it until finally someone was hospitalized with third-degree burns.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2021-11-05 15:07:38  
It's really a small section of either whole composition, and that can just happen without any real intent. Part of why folks generated them to try and prevent suing over small bits like that:
[+]
By waffle 2021-11-06 14:25:31  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Whether s-e would persue it is up to them, but there have been a lot of people who have sued for far less.... and won (I still remember the lawsuit against Mcdonald's because their coffee was too hot, and the plaintiff burned her lap when she spilled it all over myself).
Please look into the truth about this lawsuit, because it's not what you think. Like almost everything you've heard about that case is probably wrong.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-11-06 14:57:06  
They're both just the overture to Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Cesil
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-11-06 15:17:37  
I knew when I heard it, it sounded familiar! It was driving me insane >_<

Kind of reminds me of the Mog King fight song from FFXIV, it sounds like "This is Halloween" from Nightmare before Christmas haha.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2021-11-07 02:05:13  
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
It's really a small section of either whole composition, and that can just happen without any real intent. Part of why folks generated them to try and prevent suing over small bits like that:

Yeah, and not all melodies have the "same chance" of being represented in music. There might be 68.7 billion melodies, but some of them are gonna be more likely to occur because:

a) Cultural trends
b) Some key signatures are more popular than others
c) Some melodies just SOUND better

So I'd wager it's really more in the "tens of millions" category, and when you think about all the music you've heard, the chances of overlapping melodies isn't actually that far-fetched. The melody is in the song because it just sounds good :)

This applies at the melody level---- if a majority of the composition matched with the FFXI song, I'd definitely call foul play, lol
By Zubis 2021-11-07 17:32:42  
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony

True after listening to it, though I would say that both Eternals and Memoro have faster tempos.

I went to see Eternals earlier today and it played at a key moment in the movie. I was basically the Leo pointing meme.