users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » New HTBF Shinryu 2.0
New HTBF Shinryu 2.0
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 37 38 39
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: tallica
By Odin.Kingofthenorth 2021-07-20 09:24:54  
I didn't notice any difficulty difference.
By Pantafernando 2021-07-20 09:50:29  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Been doing Normal from before the update. Just tried one, it is noticeably more challenging. They probably gave it more HP to account for the change to merits, as my runs were usually like 7 minutes and this one took 11 minutes. Could be a simple wings-mode mechanic, but something definitely seems different.

Anybody know how much HP Shinryu had pre-update across difficulties?

I read it was around 800k
 Odin.Foxmulder
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-20 10:01:45  
Asura.Aeonova said: »
I know people will cite spaghetti code here for a lot of it. That's what happens when you have these monthly "poke the bear with a stick" things they do to try to simulate "content". One day the bear will wake up and eat you or one day the code will break so hard the game servers take a dump on themselves and they have to do a recovery of some sort. I'm kind of shocked no large roll-back has ever had to happen, to be honest.

I find it hard to believe they even have a single English client beta tester at this point and just dump content to the client when they change out ambuscade/MonthlyRoE and cross their fingers that they don't have to work on a hotfix for a couple of weeks.

They stated in an interview that they basically playtest the game solo, so this leaves a wide area of issues that can occur that they're not aware of. Frankly, I'm shocked the biggest obvious *** I can remember were probably still Sneak Attack from the front and Healing magic doing 99k damage to undead. It's amazing there haven't been worse bugs exposed on day one of patches. Some bugs will no doubt occur and you can't blame them for not being able to test the full run of the game from all angles. The game is massive with tons of systems at this point.

The only thing I harbor real resentment over is the neglect they've shown their cash cow. While they waste money left and right elsewhere (allowing Nomura to mismanage projects repeatedly for years at a time for one), XI and its playerbase have treated them very well. Square basically stopped reinvesting in it on a larger scale 5 years ago and we get the fruits of a very few employees' labor, including whatever random guy they pull from XIV for a day for a small task here and there. And it definitely doesn't feel like that happens very often.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-07-20 11:22:47  
Let us be honest: holy magic should do way more damage. (I know it isn't healing, just sayin').
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-07-20 11:30:13  
Odin.Foxmulder said: »
They stated in an interview that they basically playtest the game solo, so this leaves a wide area of issues that can occur that they're not aware of.

Square basically stopped reinvesting in it on a larger scale 5 years ago and we get the fruits of a very few employees' labor, including whatever young intern they pull for a day for a small task here and there. And it definitely doesn't feel like that happens very often.

FTFY

But on a serious note, I can believe they playtest/QA themselves. But we are also talking about developers leaning on the older side who most likely can't keep up with the shenanigans the playerbase can think up of outside of their design ideas.
 Asura.Emba
サーバ: Asura
user: Emba
By Asura.Emba 2021-07-20 11:54:40  
I only did 3 fights last night after the maintenance but the battle didn’t feel too much different than before. The only odd thing I observed was certain enspells not performing as well as others for no apparent reason. I’ve been soloing VD for the past couple weeks and never observed this occurrence until last night. Aside from that caveat, the difficulty felt about the same as well as the enemies HP.

My experience with loot hasn’t changed sadly, still getting the same 3 accessory drops.
By joemamma 2021-07-20 12:46:31  
Updated the drop rate of armor/weapon from 1% to 2%.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-20 13:01:46  
The only thing I harbor real resentment over is the neglect they've shown their cash cow.

I think internally they really really REALLY wanted it to die after Rhapsody and for the entire playerbase to move to 14, but they're too scared of 11 players simply not moving to 14 so they won't pull the plug. The cash cow still produces the cash.

Actually I think they wanted it to die after 14 launched, but instead 14 had to go and die because of that entire launch debacle.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2021-07-20 13:35:56  
Friend has being doing d solo on rdm... said everything feels the same...

Ill be trying tonight the same way... felt comfy as long as you bring 4 stacks of meds and holy waters
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-07-20 14:03:21  
Did a few on VD and didn't think it was really any different.
 Sylph.Snk
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2021-07-20 14:19:11  
The only thing I harbor real resentment over is the neglect they've shown their cash cow.

I think internally they really really REALLY wanted it to die after Rhapsody and for the entire playerbase to move to 14, but they're too scared of 11 players simply not moving to 14 so they won't pull the plug. The cash cow still produces the cash.

This is something I honestly believe as well. I've had zero desire to even play 14 after so many years of being on XI. I'd already decided this would be the last MMO I would ever play.

And yeah I've also felt a ton of neglect from the devs in this game in the insulting way they've just dumped a ton of content they could have easily added more to for people to enjoy.

Case in point Trials of the Magians was really great from a casual player's point of view. The fact it's now only really used for Relic, Mythic, Emp trials for the most part is saddening.

So many people I knew spent hours/weeks building a ton of elemental staves only to have them all made into ***once item level became a thing. They could have easily created more trials to allow you to make these items comparable to current content but they just dumped it to the wayside.

I like monstrosity also as it was something unique and fun but hey, nobody really does it anymore either. Meebles was cool, MMM was neat. Limbus was a fun group event as well.

While I'm mostly OK with how ffxi is now, I really hate how they constantly dump a ton of content they obviously put time into only to make doing it pointless cuz yeah, gear progression is a thing.
[+]
 Odin.Karizo
user: Karizo
By Odin.Karizo 2021-07-20 14:28:47  
Asura.Bippin said: »
Did a few on VD and didn't think it was really any different.

If anything, they should've tripled the drop SLOTS, not RATES.

Increasing the RATES across a pool of available lot will yield, no change.

That's if I am interpreting their "updates" correctly.
 Asura.Emba
user: Emba
By Asura.Emba 2021-07-20 15:33:36  
Anyone else observing a shift in his elemental weakness throughout the fight? I am noticing huge variances with my enspell damage. Unsure if it's weird resist and/or O-Sash procs, or if he is shifting his weakness subtlety throughout the fight.

Cycling enspells to get optimal damage has greatly sped up my clear times, I cannot find a pattern to it but it seems that one element seems to randomly do double the damage of the other five.

Maybe I am just in my head from the madness of grinding this over and over without a good drop but wanted to put it out there in case others are observing this too.
By Guyford 2021-07-20 15:43:15  
He takes half damage when wings aren't up, and full damage when they are. That's probably what you're seeing.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-07-20 17:29:02  

Actually I think they wanted it to die after 14 launched, but instead 14 had to go and die because of that entire launch debacle.

100% certain they've tried to kill the game in 3 separate occasions:
1. Release of Abyssea. (Lifting of level cap from 75 to 99)
2. Release of Adoulin. (Introduction of Item Level 100+)
3. Release of Rhapsodies. (The infamous "Maintenance Mode" quote)

I mean they've been quoted as saying the higher ups are surprised the game even still continues to make money year after year. Which is why they kept getting 1 year extensions on the budget...
[+]
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-07-20 17:48:44  
cash cow is pretty generous, ffxi is cash positive because of low resources.

none of you have likely worked at large companies. cash positive departments get cut all the time if there are better investments.

if FFXI makes a return of 2% a year but ff20 would make a return of 10% a year with the same resources allocated to it there would be a strong business case to cut ffxi.

this happens all the *** time, especially at big companies.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/21q4earnings.pdf

they are publicly traded, this information is freely available.

ffxi likely makes less than .1% of their profit. it's not even on the map. sorry
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-07-20 18:22:18  
Sylph.Brahmsz said: »

I mean they've been quoted as saying the higher ups are surprised the game even still continues to make money year after year. Which is why they kept getting 1 year extensions on the budget...

Shows you have no idea and that is how their projects work...
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-07-20 18:32:07  
Asura.Tsm said: »

none of you have likely worked at large companies. cash positive departments get cut all the time if there are better investments.

if FFXI makes a return of 2% a year but ff20 would make a return of 10% a year with the same resources allocated to it there would be a strong business case to cut ffxi.

ffxi likely makes less than .1% of their profit. it's not even on the map. sorry

Apologies for derailing further. I don't think anyone is genuinely saying XI is a still a cashcow (perhaps in a hyperbolic fashion, but anyway...), but loathe are we to forget XI was literally paying for itself and XIV [1.0] when XIV imploded on itself and went F2P for an entire year. (Kinda hard to forget the beginning cutscene of XIV 2.0 is of Bahamut rising to the sky and destroying everything just so that you player can have a "fresh start."
By Malaketth 2021-07-20 18:40:48  
Asura.Tsm said: »

Ive worked in finance for 3 different companies in the top 30 of the Fortune 500 thanks. But this statement is mostly true except the return on FFXI at this point is probably significantly higher than the resources used on a yearly basis. It’s likely the most profitable from a yearly ROI perspective but on a straight monetary basis as noted it’s really low. Even still if it’s exceeding the companies hurdle rate it will continue to go for a very long time.

I am also of the opinion that they “thought” the game was going to die with the conclusion of RoV alongside the end of PS2 support. Instead they entered a period of stabilization where the population/revenue landed at a lower plateau but then just paused so to speak. Sure we go up and down a bit but more or less we have seen very little change over the last few years and as such the game will continue until some Significant event changes that or other outside factors (like the retirement of certain people). This is the part that surprised them. They assumed a normal bell curve for the games life but it turns out that back tail was much higher than expected. I’m almost positive they even talked about this once.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-07-20 19:14:51  
FFXI is the golden goose that keeps on giving. It doesn't matter how low the growth may or may not be each year. It can probably survive at least full two years of consolidating servers and no new content should they decide to slow things down even more, still printing easy money. I'm prepared for the last year or two to be just that. Maybe Billy the janitor will know just enough to toggle campaigns for us.

The game's been an impressive return on their investment. I laugh at tsm's comment. SE squandered the generous returns on other pursuits.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-20 19:53:36  

Your dad works for SE too ? Cool.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2021-07-20 19:55:48  

yeah, I'm sure they tried to kill their game immediately after releasing an expansion

lol
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-20 19:58:43  
They tried to kill FFXI but you damn kids won't quit. How many shiny weapons do you need to do recycled content.
[+]
By joemamma 2021-07-20 20:04:42  
Let's be honest all they really do is change out ambu once a month. Sure they occasionally do things like Odyssey. But most months it is the bare minimum effort.
[+]
By Viciouss 2021-07-20 21:13:44  

Curious way to "kill" the game considering how many people abyssea alone brought back.
By Draylo 2021-07-20 22:18:10  
This is also a numbered FF game. Look at rhe lengths they went to for XIV, also the company is not purely profit based and numbers. They have artistic ambitions otherwise they would simply churn out gen Z garbage like fortnites and amoongus type games to copy the most profitable stuff. Instead they have done stuff like remaster obscure games like chocobos dungeon and crystal chronicles etc.
[+]
By Guyford 2021-07-20 22:30:24  
To bring the thread back to its actual purpose...

Got cloak on 18th VD win since update. Seems drop rates are better... still not great.
[+]
user: tallica
By Odin.Kingofthenorth 2021-07-20 22:50:44  
Guyford said: »
To bring the thread back to its actual purpose...

Got cloak on 18th VD win since update. Seems drop rates are better... still not great.
Using a thf??
By Guyford 2021-07-20 23:10:14  
TH4 rdm solo
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-07-21 05:32:24  
Maybe Billy the janitor will know just enough to toggle campaigns for us.

I want Billy The SquareEnix Janitor to be the new [GM]Dave.

Billy The SquareEnix Janitor was the person that created Shinryu HTBF.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 12 13 14 ... 37 38 39