June 2021 Version Update
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-14 06:20:14  
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
RadialArcana said: »
I really wish the community team would pass more of our suggestions onto the developers, it sucks that things that would make so much of a different are just ignored.

I actually thought we were going to get apex collibri.

Per what Camate told me, the issue isn't the NA community team passing it off, but the JP community team has a guy that will just dismiss our concerns cause it's not something the JP community is saying.

That said, it's entirely possible the CURRENT NA community team doesn't have a full grasp of the current dynamics of FFXI, as per the Primed for Adventure stream, they're not even close to 'current' on the game, so they may not understand the concerns being brought up by the community. But you also have the fact that what FFXIAH says, and what is said on the Official Forums, often being wildly different. So if the NA community isn't even officially submitting their concerns, it's clear we'll never be heard.

So why doesn't camate ever say anything on his own?

It's been what 3 years now, still never heard a single word from the guy. He's literally got all the answers.
By RadialArcana 2021-06-14 06:32:31  
Players should just start posting google translated posts in the JP section.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-14 06:33:44  
They do now and then
 Sylph.Brahmsz
サーバ: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-06-14 08:21:33  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
So why doesn't camate ever say anything on his own?

It's been what 3 years now, still never heard a single word from the guy. He's literally got all the answers.

Didn't Camate quit or get moved to a different department? I'm not even sure he's still on the Community Team for FFXI...
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2021-06-14 08:23:51  
Camate quit like 4 nearly 5 years ago, he has no association with Square any longer.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-14 10:04:04  
Yes, him quitting is why I expected (still expect?) to see him post.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2021-06-14 10:21:26  
It's almost as if that he's no longer being paid that he no longer actually cares.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-14 10:25:12  
If he still plays he still cares. thats obvious.

Also, pay clearly doesn't cause "give a ***" because it hasn't worked for the current staff. so.

The only thing being paid means is square can actively tell you not to communicate with the community. Which he can no longer be actively told not to do.

If square literally tells you not to do your job, then if they/he said "square tells me I can't" Then that would be the end of it. No point complaining about them anymore. If I had a job that people bitched about me not doing for years on end, and then I was suddenly free to talk about "why I didn't do this" or "why they won't do that" you bet your *** that would be the first thing I did.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-06-14 11:15:42  
?

its possible he signed several NDAs while leaving, very common in the business world. everything you've said is likely wrong basically
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-14 11:21:51  
That's the beauty of the internet. He's not going on tv and showing his face. "camate" doesn't exist on ffxiah. just a guy pretending to be an ex community rep.

In that I mean, no matter how many NDA you sign, they can't prove you're you.

And even so, do you really think square is going to sue him for saying square doesn't let reps, rep. I mean really, does square put a 10 year NDA on a *** community rep? really? I doubt it.
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2021-06-14 11:38:05  
I would think most people don't care that you want information if it means there is a chance, even if it's small, they could be sued for likely more than they have. Boggling right?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-14 11:55:25  
Can't take what you ain't got. And I'm about 100% sure saying square won't let me, doesn't count.

But no, can't even be bothered to say that he's not allowed to say.

Going to put every SE rep in the same bucket, but acknowledge camate was slightly better;
Either they do have some ridiculous rules and nda, but they don't care enough to simply say "hey we have an nda"

Or, they don't and they still don't care enough to communicate.

Either way the result is the same. They don't care. And (we) should care that they don't care.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2021-06-14 15:47:01  
Camate also quit XI and has been pushing his career hard since leaving SE, moving to a new state almost each year, changing his work schedule around, taking new classes for new certifications, etc. He's basically doing the early-20's IT career grind after spending a decade at SE. I believe he's cooling it down now, but still hasn't had time to return to XI.

Camate was better for two big reasons: He actively played XI for a good chunk of his time as a rep and at end game capability (He had Epeo, Death Penalty, etc.) and he was fluent in Japanese (He has a native Japanese wife). He would occasionally get to talk directly to Matsui and the other JP devs. Despite that he still complained to me about getting cockblocked by middlemen because that's how the structure of the company works.

Current community reps seem to mostly be (casual?) XIV players and not native JP speakers (I imagine they have one, but I see translation errors more often so I'm guessing they're not as fluent). I like Aya, she's a nice woman, but she's more into casual play, variety gaming, cosplay/VAing, etc. She's not a big MMO player.

Camate was something special, but SE didn't know how good he was and didn't compensate him enough. Think he got 50% salary boosts first year or two after he left SE, while moving to cheaper areas (he used to live in CA, and eventually moved to GA while making more money...lol)
[+]
By joemamma 2021-06-14 17:00:16  
Word on the street is Camate is a FFXIAH mod a fate worse than Hell.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2021-06-14 17:44:39  
He hated modding the official forum while getting paid to do it- there's zero chance he would mod this hellscape pro bono lol
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2021-06-15 05:44:11  
joemamma said: »
Word on the street is Camate is a FFXIAH mod a fate worse than Hell.

I linked Camate to this thread and he found this entire page hilarious, but specifically quoted this one. So upvoted you in his name.

He still doesn't have time for XI. But I explained Odyssey to him, and showed him Bonanza changes and he says he's getting the itch again, but hasn't had time for much gaming. Says he only gets on XIV maybe once a week. Hopefully he returns soon, I'm lonely.

He was excited about the Devs managing to add new stuff, and gave me this anecdote:

[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-06-15 06:21:12  
The developers have stated the main problem with FFXI, whoever controls the finances refuses to give the game an ongoing budget and they have to justify its existence every year (they managed to get a 3 year budget upto the 20th anniversary though).

They can't have any job security with a system like that, so it's really hard to get new staff to join the project even if they have the money to hire them. As such there are just many things they can't do right now.

I don't know why they don't treat ffxi like any other game and just give it a 3-4 year budget allocation every time, people that have played for 17 years are not just going to stop playing in big enough numbers to make it not profitable out of nowhere.

They just seem to think we are going to have this epiphany one day and all move to wow or ff14, that's not how it works.