言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Windower » General » Gearswoop: A gearswap companion app
Gearswoop: A gearswap companion app
By Exclore 2020-09-27 11:14:00  
Announcing the beta release of Gearswoop! Gearswoop.com

Gearswoop is a web app that provides a graphical user interface for creating Windower4 gearswap lua files.

Primary Features:
  • Enter your character's name and job for a very basic gearswap template.

• Use gearswap in-game to create a file of your gear, then upload it so you can pick from gear you actually own. (including augments!)

• Add sets to the template for specific abilities or spells.

• Download a fully functional gearswap file that can be dropped into your gearswap addon folder.

Intended Audience:
In it's beta form the app is only able to create very basic swaps. Advanced users of gearswap will most likely not find this app as useful (yet! please look forward to more advanced features in the future), but the hope is that novice users or players new to using/creating swaps will find this to be much easier than hunting down a random lua file and manually entering their gear.

Planned Features:
Based on feedback from users (like you!) I'll be implementing additional features to make the swaps the app can generate more robust. Some of the ideas I have are:

• Modes - ability to set up modes that you can toggle with various keybinds to equip certain sets or combinations of sets when you need them.

• Keybinds - ability to create arbitrary keybinds tied to gearswap functionality

• Custom Scripts - ability to add custom scripts to the gearswap.

Disclaimers:
As mentioned, this is a beta release: This means that there are bugs, user experience problems, etc. that need to be worked out. I am looking for feedback on the user experience, generated gearswap files, bugs, and any other thoughts you might have on the app.

If you are an expert on a particular job and/or gearswap I'd love to hear from you! The swap templates I'm using are gutted versions of the most common gearswaps used by various guides for each job I could find, but I don't personally play every job. Find that the template swap for RNG is completely unusable because it doesn't include *insert set name here*? Let me know and I'd be happy to adjust it. Keep in mind that I'm trying to strike a balance between the template being simple and usable while still providing enough functionality for users to find it useful.
[+]
 Asura.Seizan
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Seiza
By Asura.Seizan 2020-09-27 11:27:57  
Do we really need more tools to play ffxi?
(Sorry for being old and grumpy)
 Bismarck.Pebbs
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Saeyent
By Bismarck.Pebbs 2020-09-27 12:02:11  
I actually really like this.

Yes, I am still getting more friends to play this game who are not programmers, but who are quite frankly overwhelmed by barrier to entry for gear swap.

Until V5 Windower has something to handle augmented gear, this is a great way to introduce players to gearswap.

- The gear upload file doesn't always seem to work when uploaded.
- There isn't a privacy policy on the site.
- What are you doing with uploaded files? Or is this all client side?
[+]
By Exclore 2020-09-27 16:05:33  
I have noticed some finicky behavior with the gear upload, but I haven't tracked down exactly what has been causing it. (if you have it happen and can hit the F12 key to open the console and shoot me a screenshot of any errors if it happens to you that would be awesome!)

All of the gear upload/processing is done client side and state between visits is maintained by a local cookie- no server side shenanigans going on (yet). May do a login/account/oauth type thing in the near future if people want it.

Because of that I didn't think a privacy policy was needed, but it'd probably be a good idea. Should also probably have a one of those stupid cookie banners since some areas are more picky about cookies than others.
 Unicorn.Rufio
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2020-09-27 16:19:51  
Asura.Seizan said: »
Do we really need more tools to play ffxi?
(Sorry for being old and grumpy)

Let people play the game they pay for however they want. Mind your business.
[+]
 Sylph.Khirali
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shinma
By Sylph.Khirali 2020-09-27 16:23:21  
Rufio! Rufio!
[+]
 Asura.Cambion
サーバ: Asura
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2020-09-27 21:25:42  
This is kind of already built into gearswap.

1: Manually equip any gear set you desire, in game.
2: //gs export (this sends whatever your wearing, (incl augs) directly to a folder in gearswap)
3: Copy/paste into your lua
4: ???
5: Profit

But anything that helps people understand gearswap better, I support. In fact, just offering the most basic form(skeleton) of a lua will likely be incredibly beneficial as to not overwhelm people.

Having said that... I took a look at the Dnc lua just to see what it had, and I think it's missing too many things that are essential and carries too many toggles that are significantly beyond the target audience.

I wanted to create my own to offer, in attempt to actually be helpful and constructive, but all of my lua's rely on GearInfo for haste/dual wield tiers, and may only complicate things further.

I've given this some thought, and in my personal opinion, people would be better off giving excessive help text and descriptions within a lua, rather than outside as a guide. I've written a gearswap guide twice over the years, and every time I look back on them, I truly feel I would have better served people if I did the following instead:

Go to each job forum, get the most popular and most widely used lua that they all use.
Then, instead of gutting the utility out of it to simplify it for newer people, just go through each section of code and explain exactly what the code represents or does inside the game INSIDE the lua. Then let them decide for themselves if they ever want to touch it.

For those who want a Skeleton Dnc lua, that DOES utilize GearInfo for haste tiers, I just gutted mine, and left a blank template for gear.

Drop in a TP set + Idle Set + WS set, and this will handle 90% of what you need in game. Once you get comfortable, you can add gear sets for any ability you want, start playing with haste tiers, hybrid sets, etc etc. I have SOME things explained and written, but it's not fully comprehensive yet.

I loaded it to make sure it works, emptied 90% of the gear, but left a few swaps in there, just to help people understand what makes sense for a few sets specific to Dnc. The issue with old haste tiers is that they can't decipher Haste1 from Haste2 or Geo Haste, and the combinations of all those hastes can greatly alter what tier you should be in. GearInfo directly reads the game side to tell exactly how much JA, magic, and gear haste you have, as well as DW to properly calculate instantly upon receiving a buff.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2020-09-28 07:10:18  
Bismarck.Pebbs said: »
I actually really like this.

Yes, I am still getting more friends to play this game who are not programmers, but who are quite frankly overwhelmed by barrier to entry for gear swap.

This one million times.

- Some gear description is off template and has some formatting problem, like Odnowa earring +1.
- It would be VERY NICE, but i know it may be a lot of work, to have listed beside the set the actual total stats like haste, accuracy, etc... :D

Good Job OP! Site looks cool and with lot of potential
[+]