2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Odyssey » The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 106 107 108 ... 238 239 240
By SimonSes 2021-03-22 17:05:30  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I wonder about subbing out SAM in your setup and using DRK in the same SB build. Drop GEO for BST for Purulent Ooze (free 10% off if it lands), Corrosive Ooze attack/def down, then switch to beetle pet for Killer Instinct, or possibly use Fatso Fargann for Unleash > TP Drainkiss. BST could also add good slashing damage and you maintain the same extra body. Might even be able to swap out the COR for a SMN doing a similar role with Mew on a rotation, since Avatars add a lot of useful buffs, and don't have to rely on the weak ring avatar for survival. SMN also gets some slashing options as well.

DRK's SP2 is so good, paired with Auspice and the ability to lower Mboze's TP, would be an interesting fight if things work out.

You have video with DRK including SP2 usage on this page..

Edit: well on previous page XD
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-03-22 17:25:40  
I'm aware as it's how we've cleared every other NM we wanted to avoid nasty moves. I'm actually discussing more the other jobs added to the group (hence the description is longer there)
By SimonSes 2021-03-22 18:03:10  
I'm aware as it's how we've cleared every other NM we wanted to avoid nasty moves. I'm actually discussing more the other jobs added to the group (hence the description is longer there)

Imo zerging with Rampart is much better and smoother, so I wouldnt swap out COR, because you need Random Deal and possibly Wild card and possibly another Random Deal.
 Asura.Nuance
サーバ: Asura
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-03-22 18:10:30  
I wonder about subbing out SAM in your setup and using DRK in the same SB build. Drop GEO for BST for Purulent Ooze (free 10% off if it lands), Corrosive Ooze attack/def down, then switch to beetle pet for Killer Instinct, or possibly use Fatso Fargann for Unleash > TP Drainkiss. BST could also add good slashing damage and you maintain the same extra body. Might even be able to swap out the COR for a SMN doing a similar role with Mew on a rotation, since Avatars add a lot of useful buffs, and don't have to rely on the weak ring avatar for survival. SMN also gets some slashing options as well.

DRK's SP2 is so good, paired with Auspice and the ability to lower Mboze's TP, would be an interesting fight if things work out.

We did the DRK way as shown in the JP video as well as it was a hell of a time doing it the way we did it. Worked well, woulda worked even better if COR landed a VI on WC.

We have no BSTs in our group else that mighta been a solid idea.
By SimonSes 2021-03-23 03:41:54  

I was also discussing (with LS friend) BST as possible main DPS for Mboze. Beside obvious +1 target for Tiiimbeeer and Corrosive Ooze, BST also can provide (with Killer Instinct) 10% dt-, damage+ and intimidation for whole party and around ~25% dt-, damage+ and 27% intimidation rate for BST himself using af3+1 body and Wizard cookies. Also 70% Subtle blow with just Chirichx2, Auspice, Trait, Sherida and Dignitary. Doli and Decimation spam. Its not ideal, because you only have 68.75% haste, but with that ~25% damage+ it shouldnt be that bad.
 Bahamut.Belkin
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-03-23 08:43:55  
SimonSes said: »

I was also discussing (with LS friend) BST as possible main DPS for Mboze. Beside obvious +1 target for Tiiimbeeer and Corrosive Ooze, BST also can provide (with Killer Instinct) 10% dt-, damage+ and intimidation for whole party and around ~25% dt-, damage+ and 27% intimidation rate for BST himself using af3+1 body and Wizard cookies. Also 70% Subtle blow with just Chirichx2, Auspice, Trait, Sherida and Dignitary. Doli and Decimation spam. Its not ideal, because you only have 68.75% haste, but with that ~25% damage+ it shouldnt be that bad.

You also have to consider that BST is, in essence, like a park ranger. So in order to tame the tree, you must have a park ranger who is an expert in these sorts of endeavors.

Fits the lore.

EDIT: Plus, axe > tree. Er'body know that, g'damn boy.
[+]
By Foxfire 2021-03-23 17:04:39  
Is there something I'm missing for Ongo?

Went in with a weird setup, but even with decent gear on mages, nukes rarely went over 10k - even on a double dark sc.

Randomly got a spike for 60k on a stone, but then went back down. similar to ws, one of mine did 7k but would struggle to clear 1k otherwise.

We got the clear slow and steady, but I don't know if we just did something wrong.
my only guess is an insanely high macc requirement, but searching thru this thread tells me that shouldn't be the case.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-03-23 17:22:26  
I just posted this several times on the previous page, same issue. The short answer across everybody I've talked to was: use rayke. A lot

SimonSes said: »
I was also discussing (with LS friend) BST as possible main DPS for Mboze

There's a ton of application with BST that gets overlooked because people don't explore the options BST brings. Even in just a supplemental DPS and support role, it's worth a spot. Dealing instant 10% on V15 is the largest damage per second, which is valuable in a fifteen minute fight.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2021-03-23 17:43:36  
Foxfire said: »
Is there something I'm missing for Ongo?

Went in with a weird setup, but even with decent gear on mages, nukes rarely went over 10k - even on a double dark sc.

Randomly got a spike for 60k on a stone, but then went back down. similar to ws, one of mine did 7k but would struggle to clear 1k otherwise.

We got the clear slow and steady, but I don't know if we just did something wrong.
my only guess is an insanely high macc requirement, but searching thru this thread tells me that shouldn't be the case.
My guess would be gear issue or buff/debuff issue.

My group done V15 Ongo with 5~ minutes left with 2 minutes of buffing. Our setup was RUN, COR, SCH, GEO, BRD, BLM.

Rolls: Warlock's/Wizard's.
Songs: March, March, INT Etude 1 and 2, Ballad.
Geo: Geo Malaise, Indi Focus, entrust INT.

BLM was doing 20-35k nukes without Rayke. With Rayke, BLM was hitting 65k-97k.
As SCH I was nuking 15-20k with AM on Tupsimati, without MAcc AM I was getting around 10k average. Initial SC was Ground Strike > Leaden for Darkness then I Ebullienced Geohelix II and without resist landed for 17.8k, half resist landed 9k. We never used Rayke for Helix, seemed like a waste and kept it for BLM's biggest nukes, reset with RD/WC when needed.

After applying Helix I popped Tabula and made Graviation non-stop for BLM and MBing T4-5 with my own SC to help with damage. We used Earth Shot just as the skillchain opened.
Every now and then I used Occult Acumen set and Impact and applied Shattersoul for the -10 MDB. Never kept it up full time, but during Rayke timers.

The Geo never really nuked, but total parse looked like this:
BLM: 1.1m, SCH: 280k, COR: 160k, GEO: 80k. Helix done the rest.
Having a real good BLM is definitely key for this fight.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-03-23 20:02:37  
What's the range on Timbeeer? Can you be in range of it, but out of range of Uproot and Canopierce?
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-03-23 22:41:25  
Did some more Bumba tonight actually paid more attention to what was going on as this time I was tanking and not on BRD. (I tend to not pay any attention after songs go off...)
[+]
By zixxer 2021-03-24 02:29:14  
Asura.Nuance said: »
Did some more Bumba tonight actually paid more attention to what was going on as this time I was tanking and not on BRD. (I tend to not pay any attention after songs go off...)

Very well laid out.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-03-24 02:35:00  
Sounds overly annoying for something you have to beat at least 170 times to cap the 5 Nyame pieces.

Not sure if I'm more annoyed at the amount of korean grind or happy for something challenging.
Wait, is it challenging?
It's not challenging, just annoying, but I guess it's still better than NMs you face roll maybe?

@Geriond
Didn't someone say several pages ago that the range of Tiiimbeeer is 20 yalms around Mboze?
I can 100% confirm that it's not more than 20, at least. Because I was standing at ~22 and wasn't hit by it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-03-24 09:03:43  
Anything challenging is going to be considered annoying by most of the playerbase because everyone's used to steamrolling everything.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-03-24 10:17:59  
Everyone wanted challenging mechanics. Now we can't steamroll this, too many moving parts. It's impossible to guarantee like a 100% win rate with the same group. They made it fairly engaging even for the best players. Good, well done.

The base item rewards are going to be good enough for those who can barely squeeze by (buy) a clear, and that is enough for them. Because absolutely no PUGs will be able to clear V15 A3s, A4s, and maybe even a couple of A2s.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-03-24 10:40:04  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Sounds overly annoying for something you have to beat at least 170 times to cap the 5 Nyame pieces.

(don't take offense only using this as an example)

This is one example of people only recognizing the final rank of the set. People are also comparing current gearsets to rank20 new gear. Also mind boggling.

What if the point of this gear (ranked) is that only 1% of the population ever obtains it.

Every rank should be considered the next gear increase, consider it a new piece of equipment. All too often do we as players only see R0 or R20. I can't even tell you if I will still be playing by the time this entire set is r20.

Im glad it's very very difficult to obtain; maybe we wont have every person on the server sporting the best gear anymore.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-03-24 10:50:11  
Quote:
This is one example of people only recognizing the final rank of the set. People are also comparing current gearsets to rank20 new gear. Also mind boggling.

This is something that warrants repeating. While you require 34 veng 15 kills to get a piece to rank 20, you can get a piece to rank 15 with just 31 kills on veng 10. It's not the optimized version of the piece, but rank 15 is still really strong. Much like ranking the JSE necks, the final levels ramp up the amount of effort required to get to the next tier exponentially. You need less than 6,000 rank points to get to rank 15, and over double that to get the final 5 levels. It's perfectly viable for casuals to work on lower vengs and settle for lower upgrade tiers. They'll still probably get much better equipment than what they had beforehand.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-03-24 11:18:42  
Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
(don't take offense only using this as an example)
(cut)
Emphasis was more on the 170+ fights rather than on the annoying mechanics.
I'm super fine with the fight itself, I think it's great actually, chapeau to SE.
It's not exactely the fight you'd want to repeat over onehundredandseventy times though.

That was my concern, rather than the fight itself.

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Much like ranking the JSE necks
I beg your pardon? D:
Maybe I'm missing your point and if that's the case I apologize, but I don't really see how you could compare the two?

On one hand you have a neck that you can aug with like 4-5 runs in an Alliance event, you can actively contribute or you could AFK all time if you wnted.
This event has a cooldown that forbids you to do it more than twice a week (so you won't really get a burn out fast) and doesn't have any special requirement. Even if you stay a week off the game for whatever reason, you can come back and join a run with a pug or with your LS/friends.
In addition, if you have gil and are willing to spend, you can buy mats to augment it on your own. It's gonna be super expensive but hey, it's just an option, you're not forced to do it.

On the other hand you have items that require you 34 runs each, with a content that's challenging and that you're gonna love the first few times and get annoyed as *** after the 20th and that, most of all, requires you to farm Segments outside of the Fight itself, with a cooldown of once per day (and you have to go every day, almost, because otherwise you waste tags).

How does the amount of annoyance/grind of the second option even compare to the first?
It's quite clear it's something created to have players kept busy artificially for incredibly long times because they can't sustain people being done too fast and getting bored and cancelling subscriptions and/or whining because they have "nothing to do".
It's nothing new under the sun, it's how MMOs work after all.
But this amount of grind is reminiscent of the Tanaka days. Well, not as bad as those days, but clearly not quite in line with the FFXI we've seen the past 7+ years, I'd say.

I'll admit I'm biased because I can't stand repetitive stuff, or rather I have a much lower threshold of resistance than most other people over these boards seem to have.

At least Nyame is really nice even unaugmented, so I don't have too many complaints about that. But I never was a fan of the old days of "one person out of 100k having the special shiny thing that makes him different", so you won't find me suddenly liking that game design approach nowadays, if that's what you were tryin to get to Kaldaek (but then again maybe I completely missed your and Melphina's point!)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-24 11:19:34  
Meh you say that as if people haven't done Kin or Gin a thousand times for less.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-03-24 11:23:36  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Meh you say that as if people haven't done Kin or Gin a thousand times for less.
Nono, I'm absolutely aware of that, but I'm certainly not one of them! xD

And then again I wouldn't compare the two either. Gin is super steamroll content, it's the easiest of the 6, again you don't have to "farm" stuff outside of the event to be able to enter, you store a certain amount of KIs even if you don't log every day and you get other things while you farm Gin (mats you can sell, Cards, Astral Detritus).
Well arguably you could say the same for Lustreless things in Odyssey, but Im not sure we can put them on the same exact level.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-24 11:25:30  
Well Mboze will be just as easy as Gin... in 5 years. and Ditritus didn't exist at the time.

Compare context to context.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-03-24 11:28:04  
Quote:
Maybe I'm missing your point and if that's the case I apologize, but I don't really see how you could compare the two?

The comparison is simple. This chart defines how many rank points you need for each equipment upgrade level. It works identical to the JSE necks in that the higher levels require far more rank points to get the next level than the first ones. If you buy a brand new JSE neck it's normal to go from ranks 0-12 on your first dynamis run, then only go from ranks 12-17 on your second. The amount of mobs you kill is roughly the same, but your returns for the same effort diminished. The key goals are ranks 5, 10, 15, and 20. The first 15 ranks cost less than half the amount of RP the final 5 levels do, and they still have approximtely 85% of the total stats of a fully finished rank 20 piece. As far as time and effeciency goes, rank 15 is the "sweet spot" in my opinion

Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-03-24 11:29:04  
Asura.Eiryl said: »

More to this point. I would much rather farm Kalunga 170 times and absolutely know that I am getting guaranteed improvements in a gear slot(s), rather than farm Omen Bosses/Aman trove hundreds of times for a chance to see the same value of an increase in one gear slot.

This is the way it should be: grind to improve your gear. Not grind to possibly see a piece of gear.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-03-24 11:40:47  

But I never was a fan of the old days of "one person out of 100k having the special shiny thing that makes him different", so you won't find me suddenly liking that game design approach nowadays, if that's what you were tryin to get to Kaldaek (but then again maybe I completely missed your and Melphina's point!)

I am much a fan of rarity.

I think the attraction to spamming t3/t4 for capped rank sets is the absolute guarantee that our efforts are rewarding.

In my teenage years I would have been completely fine with investing absurd amounts of time at a chance to obtain something. Now that I'm mid 30s and have 4 kids... I need to absolutely guarantee that my efforts will reward; or I will not invest the time.

I feel SE is doing a great job at adjusting gameplay to follow their base (in age). What attracted us years ago does not attract us (older) now.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-03-24 11:44:38  
Now that I'm mid 30s and have 4 kids...

Pay up, Biden.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-03-24 11:48:04  
Quote:
But this amount of grind is reminiscent of the Tanaka days. Well, not as bad as those days, but clearly not quite in line with the FFXI we've seen the past 7+ years, I'd say.

It's extremely grindy and totally reminiscent of the Tanaka days. Yes, it is as bad as those days if you want to grind out multiple sets. And everything you said is spot on. Grinding this equipment sucks hard. The amount of time to grind these pieces isn't anything like JSE necks. I was only analyzing the rank point allocation per rank up, not the time it takes to GET those rank points.

But the fact remains that these pieces are more than "just R0 or R 20 with nothing in between". The tiered progression allows us to work toward something with tangible progress. I'd take that any day over the old systems in tanaka days.... like kings camping where you could go to an event for 3 or 4 years and never get your drop because you never got lucky. At least here we're guaranteed progress. You get the rank points, you get your stats. I like that. It means that time and effort is rewarded, regardless how grindy it may be.

Quote:
This is the way it should be: grind to improve your gear. Not grind to possibly see a piece of gear.

This sums its up perfectly.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-03-24 11:53:16  
Now that I'm mid 30s and have 4 kids...

Pay up, Biden.

Im not hijacking this thread for political nonsense, but i don't qualify under his plan.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-03-24 11:55:54  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »

But the fact remains that these pieces are more than "just R0 or R 20 with nothing in between". The tiered progression allows us to work toward something with tangible progress. I'd take that any day over the old systems in tanaka days.... like kings camping where you could go to an event for 3 or 4 years and never get your drop because you never got lucky. At least here we're guaranteed progress. You get the rank points, you get your stats. I like that. It means that time and effort is rewarded, regardless how grindy it may be.

This exactly. There is nothing wrong with sporting a rank5. Look at each rank as that endgame piece.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2021-03-24 11:56:58  
Abso-***-lutely! I have no words to express how much I agree with this concept, in general.
But then again, you see? This wasn't the point I was trying to make at all.
My point was about the 170 runs, and that's just for Nyame!
Then you have 6 other sets!
And lotsa other items, and the Atonement2 and 1 too!
Now I imagine there's not a lot of people who want every single item at max rank (60 items) but let's suppose you want, say, 20 items, I found that a bit more realistic.

34 runs x 20 items is 680+ runs, it's over 2 millions of Segments, considering 6k segments every day (I'm being particularly generous) that's over 1 year of grind, and that's if you login EVERY DAY. Realistically, for the majority of us, it's gonna take much, much longer.

Connecting to Kaldaek's post, who the *** has the time to login every day when you have kids, a complicated life, lots of things to do? How is this "following the player base" I wonder?
Dynamis sistem, if anything, was "following the player base", allowing you with a much more flexible system.
You could login like twice a week, you could buy stuff if you are the hasty kind of perso, or you could grind in a few weeks for each piece without any fear of burnout because of the lockdown.
And without forcing people to "farm" something else to be able to do the content (Gaol) you actually need to do to augment your piece, which is the final irony of it all.

I mean Bukki, as I said before I completely agree with your statement, but here sometimes it seems I'm talking to people who would've been happy even if SE required 500 kills to augment a single piece.
It's like no matter what they throw at you, you guys are always happy and those who are not are just pussies who need to grow a pair of balls.
I'm exxagerating of course, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

So once again, even if I have my complaints about the fact that you have to farm Segments to enter Gaol, but leaving that aside, I find the augment system in general absolutely BRILLIANT.
My complaint is not with the system itself but with the AMOUNT of grind required.
Given the amount of pieces they gave us it would've been more than enough if you had to grind half the amount of points you have to grind right now. That would still be waaaay more grind than Dynamis, but at least it would be more reasonable.
The amount of grind here is so big some people won't even have the will to actually start it.
They totally overdid it imho.

@Melphina
Oh, so you were talking about the curve and diminishing return.
I missed your point then!
Yes I agree those are comparable, I think other events in the past had similar curves with augmentable items.
With that said though I'm not sure I see the point of this comparison.
Because at the end of it all it still stands that in the case of Dynamis it wasn't really particularly relevant because you were still getting done relatively fast and with multiple upgrade methods.
Here, even if the curve is the same, the amount of grind required is astronomically higher and there are no options, just a single method, and it requires you to login (almost) every day if you don't wanna fall behind and make the grind even slower (in terms of days required).
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-03-24 12:00:38  
Abso-***-lutely! I have no words to express how much I agree with this concept, in general.
But then again, you see? This wasn't the point I was trying to make at all.
My point was about the 170 runs, and that's just for Nyame!
Then you have 6 other sets!
And lotsa other items, and the Atonement2 and 1 too!
Now I imagine there's not a lot of people who want every single item at max rank (60 items) but let's suppose you want, say, 20 items, I found that a bit more realistic.

34 runs x 20 items is 680+ runs, it's over 2 millions of Segments, considering 6k segments every day (I'm being particularly generous) that's over 1 year of grind, and that's if you login EVERY DAY. Realistically, for the majority of us, it's gonna take much, much longer.

Connecting to Kaldaek's post, who the *** has the time to login every day when you have kids, a complicated life, lots of things to do? How is this "following the player base" I wonder?
Dynamis sistem, if anything, was "following the player base", allowing you with a much more flexible system.
You could login like twice a week, you could buy stuff if you are the hasty kind of perso, or you could grind in a few weeks for each piece without any fear of burnout because of the lockdown.
And without forcing people to "farm" something else to be able to do the content (Gaol) you actually need to do to augment your piece, which is the final irony of it all.

I mean Bukki, as I said before I completely agree with your statement, but here sometimes it seems I'm talking to people who would've been happy even if SE required 500 kills to augment a single piece.
It's like no matter what they throw at you, you guys are always happy and those who are not are just pussies who need to grow a pair of balls.
I'm exxagerating of course, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

So once again, even if I have my complaints about the fact that you have to farm Segments to enter Gaol, but leaving that aside, I find the augment system in general absolutely BRILLIANT.
My complaint is not with the system itself but with the AMOUNT of grind required.
Given the amount of pieces they gave us it would've been more than enough if you had to grind half the amount of points you have to grind right now.
They totally overdid it imho.

@Melphina
Oh, so you were talking about the curve and diminishing return.
I missed your point then!
Yes I agree those are comparable, I think other events in the past had similar curves with augmentable items.
With that said though I'm not sure I see the point of this comparison.
Because at the end of it all it still stands that in the case of Dynamis it wasn't really particularly relevant because you were still getting done relatively fast and with multiple upgrade methods.
Here, even if the curve is the same, the amount of grind required is astronomically higher and there are no options, just a single method, and it requires you to login (almost) every day if you don't wanna fall behind and make the grind even slower (in terms of days required).

I don't know SE intentions. But if I were to guess. They don't want you having 20 rank20 pieces. In fact, they probably want you to be the master of 1 job.

The gear isn't for everyone to cap on every piece. Its intended to give rank20 options to every job.

Your goal should be to rank up (not necessarily cap) your main job. Not the 10+ different jobs you swap around and between.
First Page 2 3 ... 106 107 108 ... 238 239 240