フォーラム » FFXI » General » Post valentines day massacre
Post valentines day massacre
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-21 09:47:48  
Shiva.Thorny said: »
That said, there are all sorts of studies indicating free access to TV and smartphones is skyrocketing depression rates

Haven't actually looked this up but I'm not the least bit shocked. Family member's little sister is 20 and I can't have a meaningful conversation with her (or most of the kids that age). They grew up with too many devices in their face and they ended up not being able to interact with other people without being socially awkward. It's really weird and I am not a huge fan of screens. I agree with the part about balance, which is why it's good to do different things with them so they see the value in something besides a screen.

Kinda weird the impact all of these screens have on people now. I was basically glued to video games since I was young but we did other things, so it didn't affect me the way it does with these kids now. Always something to be mindful of
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-02-21 09:53:37  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
That said, there are all sorts of studies indicating free access to TV and smartphones is skyrocketing depression rates

Family member's little sister is 20 and I can't have a meaningful conversation with her (or most of the kids that age). They grew up with too many devices in their face and they ended up not being able to interact with other people without being socially awkward.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Vienner
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Vienner 2020-02-21 10:27:23  
My daughter has 30 minutes of tv time after dinner, she has an hour game time on monday and tuesday, half an hour on sunday. When she has game time its usually something we do together like play overcooked or mariokart. My son gets an hour tv time after my daughters half hour, game time is the same, we play civ V and VI, children of morta together. He also has 45 minutes smartphone time ever day ( parental control) which he spends on online chess.
Rest of their off schooltime they fill with sports, musicschool, homework and making puzzles, reading. Never have I put my kids in front of a screen so I could play a videogame.
I do send my kids to bed early on schoolnights and in the weekend, the youngest 20.30 and the oldest 21.30. They never whine about that. Its all in the daily routine.

We go out eating regularly as a family and find it very important that my kids can take part in our conversations, mibile gaming and smartphones are forbidden at the table.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-02-21 10:29:23  
Parenting lessons from FFXIAH.

Amazing.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-02-21 10:29:39  
Make sure your kids aren't stupid. Stupid kids are the worst.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-02-21 10:31:23  
Asura.Vienner said: »
My daughter has 30 minutes of tv time after dinner, she has an hour game time on monday and tuesday, half an hour on sunday. When she has game time its usually something we do together like play overcooked or mariokart. My son gets an hour tv time after my daughters half hour, game time is the same, we play civ V and VI, children of morta together. He also has 45 minutes smartphone time ever day ( parental control) which he spends on online chess.
Rest of their off schooltime they fill with sports, musicschool, homework and making puzzles, reading. Never have I put my kids in front of a screen so I could play a videogame.
I do send my kids to bed early on schoolnights and in the weekend, the youngest 20.30 and the oldest 21.30. They never whine about that. Its all in the daily routine.

We go out eating regularly as a family and find it very important that my kids can take part in our conversations, mibile gaming and smartphones are forbidden at the table.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-02-21 10:34:52  

Haven't actually looked this up but I'm not the least bit shocked. Family member's little sister is 20 and I can't have a meaningful conversation with her (or most of the kids that age). They grew up with too many devices in their face and they ended up not being able to interact with other people without being socially awkward. It's really weird and I am not a huge fan of screens. I agree with the part about balance, which is why it's good to do different things with them so they see the value in something besides a screen.

Kinda weird the impact all of these screens have on people now. I was basically glued to video games since I was young but we did other things, so it didn't affect me the way it does with these kids now. Always something to be mindful of

So you are saying playing video games makes you socially awkward and dumb...I knew it !

Oh well *** it...who wants to be smart anyways !
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2020-02-21 12:51:02  

I would honestly kill myself if I was either of your children. Given any sense of freedom I would take myself to the train tracks after school and just wait.

Their lives are ment to be lived, not micromanaged the kids that grew up like that, that I know have some serious *** issues lol.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2020-02-21 12:55:41  

control freak, comes to mind. Poor kids, if I do that to my two little ones I hope they shoot me, sounds like hell.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-02-21 13:05:44  
Asura.Meliorah said: »
I would honestly kill myself if I was either of your children. Given any sense of freedom I would take myself to the train tracks after school and just wait.

Their lives are ment to be lived, not micromanaged the kids that grew up like that, that I know have some serious *** issues lol.

On the same token, some kids who are raised that strict have no basis for comparison and are developed to believe "this is just the way it is". I'm not super strict (wife may disagree) but I'm your typical "clean up your messes, pick up your room, do your homework, do your chores" kind of parent. Other than that, you can watch TV or play all the games you want.
By Pantafernando 2020-02-21 13:15:16  
Kids till a quite old age have little to no discernment. They are highly suscetible to enviroment information, and naturally will imitate things others do despite being “right” or “wrong” to the society eyes.

There is nothing wrong a parent trying its best to give proper education to theirs kids. Ofc its desirable the parents to be mature enough to garantee a proper development to the kids, but anyway their are responsible if their kids turns good citizen or Eiryl type of person. And the kid can do what they want when they can make their own money and stop depending on parents. Life is like that.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-21 13:20:38  
God damn what does that have to do with me.
 Phoenix.Erics
サーバ: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2020-02-21 13:23:04  
"my kids have a bed time and participate in conversation at dinner"

oMg ChiLd aBuSE I WouLD kIlL YoU or JuST diE
YoUr kiDs aRE goInG tO hAvE IsSUeS
[+]
 Odin.Willster
サーバ: Odin
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2020-02-21 13:26:33  

Sounds like you do have issues.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2020-02-21 13:31:04  
This thread getting spicy AF. I have a 16 month old daughter, which path do I choose? I don't wanna get this one wrong, lads.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-02-21 13:32:46  
fonewear said: »
Parenting lessons from FFXIAH.

And in the weekly "I'm banned" thread, no less.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-21 13:37:10  
WTF....?

So I had a few lighthearted comments with Thorny and others about kids and gaming (I admit I derailed it), came back after lunch to this?

Have a good weekend folks.
[+]
 Phoenix.Erics
サーバ: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2020-02-21 13:39:22  
WTF....?

So I had a few lighthearted comments with Thorny and others about kids and gaming (I admit I derailed it), came back after lunch to this?

Have a good weekend folks.
does any thread beyond page 5 really stay on topic outside of the guides
By fonewear 2020-02-21 13:51:52  
Bahamut.Belkin said: »
This thread getting spicy AF. I have a 16 month old daughter, which path do I choose? I don't wanna get this one wrong, lads.

Choose the road less traveled by Robert Frost !

[+]
By fonewear 2020-02-21 13:56:57  
Also won't someone please think of the children !
By fonewear 2020-02-21 14:04:34  

This comes to mind:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Pandemonium.Zeto
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-02-21 15:50:00  
I'm pretty sure you need to make sure she spends at most 30 minutes a day inside her tablet and she needs to do her cell phone and clean her homework and not spend time on her room.
 Bismarck.Rwolf
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-02-21 16:05:10  
Path C. If you're going to drop all that money, might as well be for the unique augments.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-02-21 16:34:05  

Research actually shows that excessive screen time has zero effect on boys social development.
It already fits into normal boys social development.

Also, only during ages of 10 to 14 does it negatively affect girls social development.

The long assumption were always bogus. Research has only recently gathered enough data to make a scientific statement on the matter.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-02-21 16:46:34  
DirectX said: »
Shichishito said: »
i genuinely hope your child has a happy life and no reason to cry.
I wish the same for you.

Gonna disagree with both of you.

First, every kid cries after being born because the world as they knew it just ended and its cold and harsh and different. Every kid cries before they have any reason.

Second, A kid who has no reason to cry growing up is one who has been smothered by the over protection of foolish parents.

Life isn't supposed to be easy. Those who do not experience pain do not grow up and do not become capable adults.

Instead I would admonish a blessing that the kids are not overcome by the hardships in life that will inevitably come.
By Shichishito 2020-02-21 16:53:15  
if you look whats on TV these days you'd have to be surprised if one doesn't end up suffering severe depression after excessive consumption.

i've watched american TV years ago and i vaguely remember like 5 minutes of content followed up by 10-15 minute commercial breaks.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-02-21 16:58:51  
Well, that s about the content your consuming, not about the quantity. And I'll take your word for it. i cut the cord 20 years ago because I wasn't interested in what was being broadcast. I have little idea of what programs are on TV now.

Screen time isn't limited to tv though. Video games PC, etc.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-21 17:33:43  
Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Research actually shows that excessive screen time has zero effect on boys social development.
It already fits into normal boys social development.

The long assumption were always bogus. Research has only recently gathered enough data to make a scientific statement on the matter.

Sounds like youtube "documentary" "facts" to me as with just a little bit of using google led me to the opposite of the first quoted sentence.

I'd love to see your source for the first sentence.

Edit: Wait. No. I don't care enough. Nevermind.
[+]
 Bahamut.Nikkije
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-02-21 17:46:20  
Something told me not to revisit this thread, but stupid me did it anyway. Much can change in 12 hours.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8