フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 65 66 67 ... 97 98 99
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 19:55:52  
Just for funsies you should've seen how minimal your buffs could get and still 99k flaming/hotshot

vs an unhovered flaming/hotshot

You can't measure the strength with no comparison. zero stack vs full stack.
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-05-13 20:18:07  
Thank you for the responses Thorny and Capuchin. You answered my question perfectly.

Quote:
I rely on Windower for that QOL ability to put gear for every slot in one single line in an in-game macro, paired with the vanilla FFXI functionality to put a separate /equipset set in another single macro line.

That's what I ever use it for, and I think sometimes people put too much stock in luas and gearswaps. Simply owning the gear your job needs to play at a high level and understanding how to play it properly does more for performance than having a hundred situational gearswaps for every conceivable situation. I'm content simply being able to equip what I need for my weaponskills and abilities when I need to. But I do want to know that the syntax is correct and that what I think I'm telling the game to equip is actually being equipped. Thanks for the advice both of you. I appreciate it.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 01:02:06  
Using Gearswap doesn't mean you have 200 sets auto swapping for 500 scenarios. It can be as simple as using sets just for tp, abilities and ws too.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 07:40:12  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Survivability is only relevant when you need it, and is kind of moot since you will be shooting from range anyways. I have never been in a situation where I needed survivability while shooting

Yeah I understand that, but I think that changes or should change. It changed slightly with introduction of Malignance and RNG being able to melee (ideally with KC) for TP. Malignance just made RNG not a paper doll anymore. RNG before that was mostly use as safe DD option, because you was standing outside of AoE range. If standing in AoE range wasnt a huge issue, you was using other DD jobs with better DPS. Situation is different now tho, because RNG can now potentially be top dps option now, if you stand in True Shot range. Ofc you still can play safe from distance, but I think taking advantage of massive DPS in True Shot range can be much less rare now.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-14 08:51:36  
SimonSes said: »
if you stand in True Shot range

I'm glad you brought this up because I was thinking about it and how to make it work with Hover shot for the most damage.

What is the True Shot range for Bows, Guns?
By Foxfire 2021-05-14 08:53:57  
if you stand in True Shot range

I'm glad you brought this up because I was thinking about it and how to make it work with Hover shot for the most damage.

What is the True Shot range for Bows, Guns?
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Distance_Correction
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-14 09:01:50  
Lovely. Didn't know this existed.
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 10:23:27  
Bows are safer in their true shot range, but guns are way easier to mix melee with ranged WS at true shot range. While it wasn't really that important before because Savage is generally way better than Last Stand, it's no longer true with Hover stacks. Another potential advantage for guns true shot range that I'm not sure about still is that RNG can potentially shot in true shot range for guns while having aggro on its target, if that target is medium or big size. I don't think that's possible for bows, unless maybe with biggest enemies in game? That requires testing tho. This would be important for RNG to go all out for example without being worried about getting aggro and moving the target and being in true shot all the time.
By clearlyamule 2021-05-14 12:09:41  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
The new meta is gonna revert to hotshot. you only need to do 25k to hit 99k then... and you can probably hit that with ease.

With the weird enmity reduction on hotshot it'll be better than TF/LS (that's not exactly worded correctly, but you know what I mean)
I must have missed this but what's this about about a weird enmity reduction on hotshot?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-14 12:24:05  
Hybrid ws don't give the full enmity for the full damage, it's only the physical part, or something like that.

So say you did 99k hotshot, you only get half (or less) the enmity
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 12:28:58  
Hybrid ws don't give the full enmity for the full damage, it's only the physical part, or something like that.

More like 90% part is magic. So 90% will have reduction similar to magic WS.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-14 12:33:16  
So less enmity, but more damage than TF LS JR should result in it being the default go-to

Where it's possible(*) before you start arguing
By clearlyamule 2021-05-14 15:21:58  

Interesting hadn't hear of that. Know a bunch of testing was done on magical weaponskill but didn't think much had been done since then considering how annoying it is in the first place and how changes a few years back made it even more so (and also invalidated Kaekos old numbers). Do you know where I can find testing on this? Kind of actually been wanting to go back and doing some updated testing since I didn't think any had been done in like 6 years since the huge changes SE made lol.

As far as compared to other ws hard for me to say without a bit more into the exact numbers on the hybrids but keep in mind magical only count a small portion of their damage so they could still be less enmity depending on situation and gearing.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-05-14 15:42:29  
Not sure about the Enmity effect of hybrids,

But until you get stacks up, they are so much weaker than just using Trueflight:

Tested on 139 Apex Skellys
Geo Frailty, Indi Malaise, 2x Prelude, HM, Minuet, Sams, Chaos, Dia2, Banish2.

Hot shot was doing around 25k at low stacks, 35k mid stacks, then jumped to 85k at the 21+ mark.

Trueflight was 35-40k to start, then jumped to 60+ at the 21+ mark

Its hard to justify building 20 stacks to use that weaponskill when I can spam build for Trueflight only, and hit 99k's
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-05-14 15:44:16  
Asura.Gotenn said: »

But until you get stacks up, they are so much weaker than just using Trueflight:

Hot shot was doing around 25k at low stacks, 35k mid stacks, then jumped to 85k at the 21+ mark.

Its hard to justify building 20 stacks to use that weaponskill when I can spam build for Trueflight only, and hit 99k's

Things I would have changed for just trueflight,
Indi Acumen
Double AGI over Prelude/Minuet,
Wizards over Chaos
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-14 15:46:49  
strange thought I just had and am away from game so can't test, was curious if anyone had tried building up stacks and changing weapons but NOT targets and if it resets?
 Odin.Demhar
サーバ: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-14 15:56:37  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
strange thought I just had and am away from game so can't test, was curious if anyone had tried building up stacks and changing weapons but NOT targets and if it resets?

I don't think so
 Sylph.Ticktick
サーバ: Sylph
user: mofat
By Sylph.Ticktick 2021-05-14 16:09:42  
Asura.Gotenn said: »

draugar have 50% piercing/ranged resistance (75% w/ banish) and take increased light dmg so IMO this comparison is flawed.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-14 17:27:29  
They actually take neutral light damage, though the piercing point is valid.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-14 17:29:37  
Odin.Demhar said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

I don't think so

Also, anyone test if switching weapons out mid-fight resets the bonus?

It doesn't
[+]
 Sylph.Ticktick
サーバ: Sylph
user: mofat
By Sylph.Ticktick 2021-05-14 18:03:54  
Asura.Geriond said: »

According to https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Skeleton they take 130% light and fire. Are apex different?
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 18:13:04  
clearlyamule said: »
As far as compared to other ws hard for me to say without a bit more into the exact numbers on the hybrids but keep in mind magical only count a small portion of their damage so they could still be less enmity depending on situation and gearing.

Magical counts as small portion of hybrids damage? You meant the reverse right? Magic portion in hybrid ws is like 90%. They are not as effective enmity wise like magic WSes, but it's close.

Sylph.Ticktick said: »
draugar have 50% piercing/ranged resistance

Exactly, so you can simply double those values for hot shot. So hot shot would be more like 50-120k (off capped to 99) then.

Question is, at what TP threshold were those hot shots? Hot shot has massive gain to damage with TP. Also the comparison should be between hot shot and wildfire, not trueflight.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-14 18:19:49  

According to https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Category:Skeleton they take 130% light and fire. Are apex different?
The BG wiki family pages are worded pretty misleadingly. Those are the resistance ranks, which correspond to skillchain damage taken and elemental magic evasion, not magic damage taken. Elemental magic damage taken is a separate (though related) property, and is not very clearly represented on that page. Resistance ranks of 60% through 150% represent unmodified magic damage for that element.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 19:14:31  

The BG wiki family pages are worded pretty misleadingly. Those are the resistance ranks, which correspond to skillchain damage taken and elemental magic evasion, not magic damage taken. Elemental magic damage taken is a separate (though related) property, and is not very clearly represented on that page. Resistance ranks of 60% through 150% represent unmodified magic damage for that element.

I'm like 99% sure you are wrong and SDT above 100% means exactly that something takes more damage from that element, but it's middle of the night, so I don't feel like looking for proofs now.
By clearlyamule 2021-05-14 19:16:59  

Magical counts as small portion of hybrids damage? You meant the reverse right? Magic portion in hybrid ws is like 90%. They are not as effective enmity wise like magic WSes, but it's close.
no.

I meant like I haven't seen hard data on how the hybrids count enmity.

And that purely magical ws operate by only counting a portion of the damage equation for enmity purposes.

Given how radically different the damage equations are (even just the magical portion of the hybrid) it's hard to say exactly even with assume it works similar.

Actually for that matter not sure if hover shot is counted for the magical enmity either since that factor didn't exist back then. Probably doesn't as most multipliers don't but ftp does so maybe. ftp super weird on hybrids too
By SimonSes 2021-05-14 19:24:39  

no.

I meant like I haven't seen hard data on how the hybrids count enmity.

And that purely magical ws operate by only counting a portion of the damage equation for enmity purposes.

Given how radically different the damage equations are (even just the magical portion of the hybrid) it's hard to say exactly even with assume it works similar

Again middle of the night but I'm 99% sure magic portion of hybrid ws works exactly like magic WS, because magic portion is essentially a separate magic WS just with base damage based on physical part equation.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-14 19:32:32  

I'm like 99% sure you are wrong and SDT above 100% means exactly that something takes more damage from that element, but it's middle of the night, so I don't feel like looking for proofs now.
Believe me, they do not (except from skillchain damage).

Standard desert spiders have 150% ice and 100% fire; Fire did 402 and Blizzard did 408. Given Blizzard's slightly higher base damage, that means they take the same damage from both of those elements.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-14 19:34:12  
From what I remember, magic WSs give enmity based on pre-MAB damage done (so, if you have +300 MAB and do 60k, you get the enmity of 15k damage) and would assume that Hybrid WSs work the same but with the physical part also giving enmity, but I don't know of any testing.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
サーバ: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-05-16 12:03:23  
So with all the flaming arrow/hot shot discussion going on, would probably be worth discussing sets/adding them to the guide post.
By SimonSes 2021-05-16 12:12:05  
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
So with all the flaming arrow/hot shot discussion going on, would probably be worth discussing sets/adding them to the guide post.

Nyame still not on FFXIAH :P
First Page 2 3 ... 65 66 67 ... 97 98 99