フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58 ... 97 98 99
 Leviathan.Andret
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2021-04-28 15:23:51  
If this is like Monk's Boost "upgrade" then I will laugh my hat off.

You will get the WS damage boost but your dps will tank as you move around.
By SimonSes 2021-04-28 15:27:14  
Bahamut.Belkin said: »
SE likes to get cute, but they already know the solution because they've done it before with MNK. Change the under-the-hood WS modifiers/fTP numbers on all WS's.

Easy as that. If RNG could consistently pump out weapon skills that are 40-50% better in terms of damage, people will play RNG again.

I prefer ranged having massive white damage since it synergize very well with decoy shot. 50k physical WS spam would just make mob run to RNGs and bad things will happen. You could WS from melee range, but why play ranger then..
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-28 15:39:22  
SimonSes said: »
Bahamut.Belkin said: »
SE likes to get cute, but they already know the solution because they've done it before with MNK. Change the under-the-hood WS modifiers/fTP numbers on all WS's.

Easy as that. If RNG could consistently pump out weapon skills that are 40-50% better in terms of damage, people will play RNG again.

I prefer ranged having massive white damage since it synergize very well with decoy shot. 50k physical WS spam would just make mob run to RNGs and bad things will happen. You could WS from melee range, but why play ranger then..

I agree- I think improvements to white damage could be what eventually "fixes" archery, and honestly not much else beyond WS additions or changes to WSmods. And with all the stats on Ikenga gear(the combo of getting STP, -enmity, racc/ratk, and PDL on the same gear), I see some potential for it to possibly work.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 15:41:37  
It's funny because literally nobody asked for this. They can't even pretend a Japanese player suggested this as feedback. This is just another goofy idea they want to implement alongside with the whole "perfect distance" thing. The perfect distance will always be just outside of AOE range. Trying to make rangers mobile is just trying too hard for game mechanics that do not accommodate mobility while fighting. If it did, animation lock would not be a thing.

I really wonder why they didn't just improve bows altogether. I would be in favor of an update that made shooting from different spots stronger if it actually did something for bows (like a huge pdif increase). It's just going to end up buffing marksmanship that much more. Zzzz
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
サーバ: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-04-28 16:22:11  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
The more updates they come out with the more it looks like they're trying to copy FFXIV systems.

Quote:
It's also possible they could remove the need to stand still to shoot to accommodate it

Which is how ranged attacks work in 14, but 14's battle system is also more dynamic and more scripted than 11's. Mobs don't announce their tp attacks with a glowing area of effect that everyone suddenly jumps out of the way from here, so copying that aspect of the ranged system has limited utility. On the surface it looks dumb, but we can't pass judgment until we know the rest of the details.

If it gives us the ability to move and RA at the same time, it will be a fairly significant increase to damage, given in order to RA you not only need to stop, but stop for like .5s in order to ranged attack or spell cast without getting interrupted. Now that we are more mobile and in more trash clearing content, those waits add up, and turn into 1.5s+ downtimes if you accidentally press the macro too early. Will also let you RA during knockbacks.

It would also be useful to reposition while keeping DPS up if youre staying at ~20 range to avoid AoE and the mob moves slightly.

Now, whats the chances it actually does something as useful as allowing RA while moving?
 Asura.Kronkeykong
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kronkeykong 2021-04-28 16:24:48  
I had to.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 16:36:22  
They 100% are not adjusting any game mechanic allowing for shooting while moving. There are currently zero abilities or actions that allow you to move while acting, unless you use JA0. They aren't going to give RNG the ability to bypass this mechanic for more damage, lol

They want you to shoot, run to the right, stop, shoot, run to the left, stop, shoot etc etc etc. Like a sniper hiding behind trees in a paintball fight or something. Whole thing sounds juvenile but maybe it would make shooting more fun.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-28 16:39:05  
Normal attscks let you attack while moving, and ranged attacks are conceptually (even if not functionally) much more similar to normal attacks than JAs.
By Foxfire 2021-04-28 16:42:45  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
They want you to shoot, run to the right, stop, shoot, run to the left, stop, shoot etc etc etc..
cha-cha real smooth, y'all
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
サーバ: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2021-04-28 16:49:05  
They 100% are not adjusting any game mechanic allowing for shooting while moving. There are currently zero abilities or actions that allow you to move while acting, unless you use JA0. They aren't going to give RNG the ability to bypass this mechanic for more damage, lol

They want you to shoot, run to the right, stop, shoot, run to the left, stop, shoot etc etc etc. Like a sniper hiding behind trees in a paintball fight or something. Whole thing sounds juvenile but maybe it would make shooting more fun.

I mean, the fact that JA0 can allow you to bypass animation locks means they can easily do something similar if they wanted to. If it doesnt bypass moving range interrupt penalty, its going to be very awkward to use mid fights.
 Odin.Demhar
サーバ: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-04-28 16:52:18  
It's funny because literally nobody asked for this. They can't even pretend a Japanese player suggested this as feedback. This is just another goofy idea they want to implement alongside with the whole "perfect distance" thing. The perfect distance will always be just outside of AOE range. Trying to make rangers mobile is just trying too hard for game mechanics that do not accommodate mobility while fighting. If it did, animation lock would not be a thing.

I really wonder why they didn't just improve bows altogether. I would be in favor of an update that made shooting from different spots stronger if it actually did something for bows (like a huge pdif increase). It's just going to end up buffing marksmanship that much more. Zzzz

no love for the bows ; ;
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 16:55:03  
Asura.Geriond said: »
Normal attscks let you attack while moving, and ranged attacks are conceptually (even if not functionally) much more similar to normal attacks than JAs.

The difference is, Normal attacks are automatic and not triggered by a command. Ranged attacks are.

Though that does bring up another possibility. They could make Hover Shot a function where you can automatically shoot without ever having you click your macro/command, basically auto RA. Daken for rangers. In that case, it functionally becomes the same as auto attacks. How you would handle snapshot might get tricky, unless you just fulltime ikenga. If you can automatically shoot through the ability, I would have to assume it would come with some form of penalty because then people would just melee with it active and run around getting the bonus.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 16:58:53  
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »

I mean, the fact that JA0 can allow you to bypass animation locks means they can easily do something similar if they wanted to. If it doesnt bypass moving range interrupt penalty, its going to be very awkward to use mid fights.

This is not the same. JA0 allows you to bypass the movement lock restriction of actions, but it doesn't allow you to cast or shoot while moving. That's a whole different mechanic and JA0 has nothing to do with bypassing that.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-28 16:59:05  
That's a functional difference, not a conceptual one. They could get rid of that functional difference just fine if they wanted to and had the will.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 17:01:43  
I'm not actually saying they can't. from the description, it doesn't really sound like they even have that in mind. It really just sounds like

Shoot
Run to new spot
Shoot
Run to new spot
Shoot
 Odin.Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-04-28 17:04:13  
they might just remove preshot phase while under the Hover Shot... & get 100% rapid shot activation kind of like quick magic even if you walk when it activates you don't get interrupted....and while in movement, Range Attack increases depending on your step count...
 Odin.Shaggnix
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2021-04-28 17:04:56  
I don't see anything from the Ikenga set in the guide, I'm guessing it just hasn't been updated? Are we 5/5 ikenga preshot, 4/5 hit w/relic head, and 5/5 ikenga for WS now? Set looks crazy good, but i'm just starting to get rng back on it's feet and for all I know i'm missing something obvious lol. Even if it's just roughly equal... thats a lot less gear to make space for.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 17:06:24  
Odin.Demhar said: »
they might just remove preshot phase while under the Hover Shot... & get 100% rapid shot activation kind of like quick magic even if you walk when it activates you don't get interrupted....and while in movement, Range Attack increases depending on you step count...

What you said about qm is not true. You cannot cast while moving even if it activates. What you are seeing is the spell has already "performed" and your movement is afterwards. In reality, the spell happened instantly but the animation took a while to go off. But you can never qm while moving. Go out and test it. Spontaneity>cast while moving. It will never go off.

I'm just going by their brief description.

Quote:
the basic gist is that rangers will be gaining the ability to get increased damage when they move after making a ranged attack.

Just sounds like they want you to move after you land a shot for a damage bonus, but then repeat the process. Not while moving. I think Eiryl have a good example in dynamis of how it would work in practice.
[+]
By Foxfire 2021-04-28 17:10:25  
Odin.Shaggnix said: »
I don't see anything from the Ikenga set in the guide, I'm guessing it just hasn't been updated? Are we 5/5 ikenga preshot, 4/5 hit w/relic head, and 5/5 ikenga for WS now? Set looks crazy good, but i'm just starting to get rng back on it's feet and for all I know i'm missing something obvious lol. Even if it's just roughly equal... thats a lot less gear to make space for.
if you use the search box at the top you'll see some conversation about ikenga's use cases
off the top of my head, it only really sees use for last stand at attack cap, i believe?

maybe some swaps for acc or something but i don't think it flat-out replaces anything we typically used prior in most other cases.
i'll defer to people who likely know more.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-28 17:16:52  
Full 5/5 Ikenga is a horrible preshot option. Even riding 5/5 would require Flurry 1 to cap Snapshot, and you'd have ZERO Rapid Shot. Without Flurry you'd be incredibly slow shooting, and you'd gain zero benefit from Flurry2.

For midshot, it has incredible potential, in particular if you're able to shoot at distance away from AoE attacks.

For WS, the only times it comes into play is when buffed to the gills with plenty of attack buffs to take advantage of the +PDL stat on it. It does come into play, but we do get 2 pieces of JSE+3 with WSD+10 on it that still have a place more than not. The body's TP Bonus augment could be very interesting for Last Stand builds over a more traditional +WSD body piece.
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-04-28 17:24:41  
Last Stand and Savage Blade will certainly be interesting to see at max rank from Ikenga body at 1000tp spam situations
By Pipster 2021-04-28 17:27:01  
Thinking more about it, they might want us to run in for TP melee phase, then run back to True Shot distance and fire off a Weaponskill, then rinse/repeat. Gunna have to be one hell of a buff to get people to do it though.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-04-28 17:29:48  
All sounds like bard in ffxiv. Gross.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-28 17:30:32  
Pipster said: »
Thinking more about it, they might want us to run in for TP melee phase, then run back to True Shot distance and fire off a Weaponskill, then rinse/repeat. Gunna have to be one hell of a buff to get people to do it though.

If that is how Hover Shot ends up being best used, SE effectively just completely killed Archery. You could be in melee range to build TP and then go to the Marksmanship Sweet Spot while remaining inside all bubbles for those meleeing. But if you were to melee and then run to the Archery Sweet Spot, you're going to end up outside of the bubble.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-04-28 17:32:05  
Next update will allow luopans to travel with the players they are cast on. Perfect for a Hover Shot buddy!
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-28 17:35:45  
Could also not rely on geo for literally everything and get over the crutch.

Yeah, I know.
By Pipster 2021-04-28 17:41:39  
SE’s sneaky way of trying to get players to use Widened Compass lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-04-28 17:43:15  
and I can already hear it now....

"As if RNG wasn't already a completely princess job now we gotta buff them while they're MOVING? AHH HELL NO!"
By Pipster 2021-04-28 17:46:31  
I’m still optimistic that the new job system will enhance all weapons/play styles for RNG. Hovering might not be the “thing” we’ve all been waiting for, but it’ll be interesting what they add via the new system....Most likely more True Shot++
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2021-04-28 21:07:19  
Did someone say “Legolas”?
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58 ... 97 98 99