サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2024-04-18 23:41:41  
Seun said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
the Christmas 2006 inflation

I don't remember this, can you refresh my memory?

Fishing related IIRC. People were creating level 1 characters and fishing rusty items, which were then restored with light crystals and sold to vendor. This is why you see Goblin Bounty Hunters patrolling the coasts of several areas.

Basically this. It was a culmination of several different gil bots, like rusty cap fishing in Rabao. RMT had accumulated so much Gil, it was dirt cheap. So around Christmas 2006 I think, a ton of people were buying it/some kids even having it given to them as an XMas gift.

Loads of Gil flooded the market in a short time span, and everything became super inflated. On Bismarck, NQ Scorpion Harness, OKotes, Peacock Charms, and a few other NM drops were all 20M+.
Everything at that time was sky high.
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2024-04-19 04:46:49  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Didn't they write a roadmap for Monstrosity too? That didn't materialize either. And that's so sad because it's so much fun.

They wrote an entirely new UI Framework, announced it, then abandoned it.

I do wonder if there was anniversary content planned for the 20th that they just abandoned. They did hype it so so much.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-04-19 08:25:08  
Cerberus.Balloon said: »
I do wonder if there was anniversary content planned for the 20th that they just abandoned. They did hype it so so much.
I'm almost certain of it. Because the thing is, it started out as though they had a lot going on. They made that We Are Vana'diel website, made an effort to fill it with artwork from fans, they had that survey that looked like it was going to materalize in some form on the site. The way they were talking, we had all these cool things coming our way, and then: nothing.

I've seen this same thing happen with other Square-Enix live services as well. They just pull funding from projects with no regard for the people working on them. They could be 99% done a big new update, but the publisher will straight-up tell them they can't release it. If I had to guess, that's probably why Matsui left the game, and why no one else wanted to jump on. Every new project the game has had since Wings of the Goddess has had its budget pulled from under it halfway through development. That's gotta be frustrating.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
サーバ: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-04-19 09:04:32  
Thanks, I remember a few periods of inflation fluctuation, but couldn't recall exactly what happened around that timeframe. I wish there was more AH data going back that far, it'd be interesting to see fluctuations in the market especially correlated to actions taken by SE (e.g. the great R/Ex change).

They did have content planned, it's what they delivered: TVR, Sortie, Primes, Empyrean+3, and (to a lesser extent) v25.

I think people expected something epic on the anniversary day itself, but they said they saw it as a year-round sort of thing and most of that content came out in the year that followed. They did announce primes on the date IIRC as well as Sortie.

IMO the community hyped the anniversary date up more than they did, people expected a bunch of unreasonable and/or infeasible things that just weren't going to happen. In SE/devs minds, the things above are great accomplishments (and tbf with their limited resources, they may be), but they should have tempered expectations a bit ahead of time. This is another example of how I think they are disconnected from the NA fanbase, people were expecting client enhancements, expansions, jobs, and a bunch of huge things, so people were disappointed when they ultimately got what they got. This outcome was obvious to anyone who was watching Reddit in particular.

In their mind, all the events/livestreams/etc and announcements were a big deal, but it was miniscule compared to what people thought they were going to do. It doesn't help that the events and such were all in Japanese and in awful times for NA players, but I also doubt most NA players gave two shits about them.

It's also not a tiny victory that they have kept this going for 20 years. I know it's not what most wanted, but if you put yourself in their shoes, running a MMO for 20 years is an accomplishment in itself.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
サーバ: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2024-04-19 10:39:37  
As fun as the inflation was (not really), the subsequent deflation was pretty brutal. Nothing would sell, ever.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-04-19 14:06:38  
anniversary

This game had an anniversary? news to me.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-04-19 15:08:31  
They also had that "Ask the Devs stuff" segment on Reddit, where they said they would look into addressing some of the player concerns and game mechanics, and then just never did. They say a lot of things and then don't deliver on it, but it's always perceived as the players who had the unreasonable expectations. Never SE straight up not putting out
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-04-19 15:14:53  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
They also had that "Ask the Devs stuff" segment on Reddit, where they said they would look into addressing some of the player concerns and game mechanics, and then just never did. They say a lot of things and then don't deliver on it, but it's always perceived as the players who had the unreasonable expectations. Never SE straight up not putting out

That's fair and to be clear, things I'm perceiving as unreasonable are things like entire client rewrites, full expansions, new jobs, etc. Things that would require an entire development team to spend months/years working on that just aren't going to happen.

Most of the things they said they'd look at were much smaller scale things like how targeting works and adding the ability to change your race. Those seems like reasonable requests and there's a wide gap between some of those things and some of what the community was expecting for the anniversary.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-04-19 16:41:27  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
anniversary

This game had an anniversary? news to me.

It has anniversary like mine.

Just grab the closest relatives for a snack at McDonalds.

Im not feeding randos
By Dodik 2024-04-19 17:21:46  
I'd do unspeakable things for an official way to change my character's appearance, not even race, just their hairstyle.
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-04-20 03:23:46  
Asura.Thunderjet said: »
Manque said: »
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202404/15339245.html

Famitsu is doing a FFXI show, 1st guest is Fujito, this Saturday evening (JST). Please look forward to it.
wait so something big might happen?
Is it Connected to that weird Long patch we had not so long ago or no?
Live in 2 hours maybe just maybe a sliver of hope?
Chemist and time mage memes?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-04-20 06:13:48  
Let's spend a half hour talking about the current campaigns.

Excellent use of time.
Quote:
I wonder what demographic the broadcast is aimed at...
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-04-20 06:14:32  
the japanese comments are hilarious, Please Fix dark matter Phalanx XD we arent the only 1
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-04-20 06:39:50  
They are showing Tavanaiza what does that mean? we will finally go there?

omg the copium is big with me
[+]
By Shenaniganz 2024-04-20 06:57:53  
Came in midway through and was confused why they were introducing the starting nations, so I went and watched the first ~10 mins of the stream. They sort of introduced the series and why they're starting it, here are rough notes:

- Hosted by "Opone" Kikuchi of Famitsu (dude on the left) and Osho of Dengeki (dude on the right) who wrote guides/materials for FFXI.
- This program will go live on months where there's no Freshly Picked Vana'diel.
- Intended to complement We Are Vana'diel content and other efforts to make a sort of online archive/retrospective about FFXI.
- On that note, apparently Famitsu/Dengeki have been involved with the creation and updates of the We Are Vana'diel site.
- This event is mostly going to focus on the game from current/former/prospective players' perspective, while Freshly Picked is intended to be the more official content- and announcement-related program going forward.

Kinda listening between Ody NMs right now but I didn't hear/see anything about offering official EN subtitles for any content. Willing to sub them for R25 clears or 100m gil per edition (jk I'd rather get paid irl for that ***).
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-04-20 07:02:15  
I expected nothing and am still disappointed.

Explain the world of the game to randos who will never play.
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-04-20 07:07:24  
Shenaniganz said: »
Came in midway through and was confused why they were introducing the starting nations, so I went and watched the first ~10 mins of the stream. They sort of introduced the series and why they're starting it, here are rough notes:

- Hosted by "Opone" Kikuchi of Famitsu (dude on the left) and Osho of Dengeki (dude on the right) who wrote guides/materials for FFXI.
- This program will go live on months where there's no Freshly Picked Vana'diel.
- Intended to complement We Are Vana'diel content and other efforts to make a sort of online archive/retrospective about FFXI.
- On that note, apparently Famitsu/Dengeki have been involved with the creation and updates of the We Are Vana'diel site.
- This event is mostly going to focus on the game from current/former/prospective players' perspective, while Freshly Picked is intended to be the more official content- and announcement-related program going forward.

Kinda listening between Ody NMs right now but I didn't hear/see anything about offering official EN subtitles for any content. Willing to sub them for R25 clears or 100m gil per edition (jk I'd rather get paid irl for that ***).

Intersting
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-04-26 13:24:10  
Oh boy, another master trial. Cause that last one and even the one before that really popped off.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2024-04-26 13:29:23  
It matters not one bit, but what zone is that?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-04-26 13:29:27  
Quote:
The next version update is scheduled for mid-May.

In the version update in May, we are planning to add "Master Trial", update "Ambuscade", and partially revamp the "Quest Menu".

Should hit the mainpage any hour(day) now.

Valefor.Philemon said: »

TVR Finale
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-04-26 13:32:40  
Valefor.Philemon said: »

The chaos battlefield
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-04-26 13:42:52  
zzzzz
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-04-26 13:46:59  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Should hit the mainpage any hour now.
Right after they run it through Google Translator.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-04-26 13:49:30  
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
zzzzz

Here's your dose of copium;

"revamping quest menu" means adding mercy system to HTMB

Set ROE: Lilith; Defeat Lilith 100 times for Malignance voucher
Set ROE: Shinryu; Defeat Shinryu 100 times for Crepuscular voucher

Biggest bestest update 3V4R
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-04-26 13:52:31  
In reality:

"Added coordinates for questgiver NPC (after you've already accepted the quest)"

Or better yet:

"Added a Mog Garden subcategory for better clarity"
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-04-26 13:56:41  
(It's bringing back the exact same ROE from the last vanabout but "improved")
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-04-26 13:58:18  
(JP) People complained about only being able to set 30 RoE and having to re-set them every time they were doing the RoE for the vana'bout. They might be fixing the RoE system in some way.
By Nariont 2024-04-26 14:14:12  
Poor bahamut, even his trash reskin gets a ilvl battlefield before him
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 425 426 427 428 429