Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 277 278 279 ... 424 425 426
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-16 00:48:57  
Diamond Aspis is amazing wdym

Flamebrand/Icebrand would be the best offhands for a majority of situations for their respective jobs too in any case that you cant use a magian weapon

That said prime weapons are absolutely not bonanza weapons
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-05-16 00:58:12  
The dagger is pretty hot too
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2022-05-16 01:24:51  
Yeah, I might've been too harsh in that post.
Still though, the bonanza weapons aren't really REMA level.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-05-16 02:40:01  
Asura.Essylt said: »
Still though, the bonanza weapons aren't really RMEA level.
That's pretty generic.
They're not RMEA level in what sense?
Not "special" enough? Not enough grind to obtain?
Not enough DPS?

If you're using the last aspect only then over half of the current REMA aren't "RMEA level" either, since some are really bad and even some Ambuscade weapons or Unity R15 weapons are better.
So what defines what a RMEA is?
We need to agree on this before we can say wether or not the Bonanza weapons are RMEA level or not.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-16 04:07:38  
Asura.Essylt said: »
Still though, the bonanza weapons aren't really REMA level.

I'm gonna hard disagree here.

Yagyu Darkblade is more REMA than 90% of rema. It's totally gamebreaking for the job.

Onion Sword III is another one above 90% of REMA. Comes with unique and one of the best WS and only Sword WS with Fusion. Only solid slashing option for DNC too.

Dragon fangs are potentially similar to Onion Sword III. There is no info on the WS tho, so can't be certain that it's good. We know that it's Distortion tho, which on its own is a lot for MNK and PUP.

Ice brand and Flametongue give more from sub hand, than many REMA from main hand.

Flute is amazing too. You can make 15min SV songs with just slightly less potency than with Gjallarhorn (and lets be real, SV songs are big part of current endgame) and you dont need NITRO for that too, which means you can save it for debuffs in right moment.

Shield is definitely REMA level too. From pure stats, it's great for mythic BST, but what's really important is that 25% duration boost to self target abilities. This is great for Berserk, Warcry, Killer Instinct (can full time it), all PLD JAs etc. Also increasing skillchain duration is something completely unique and great for Magic Bursts or 3+ step SCs in general (on RDM for example).

Reraise V on staff is maybe not something I would call REMA level, but I know people who would prefer having that over 90% of REMAs.

Other bonanza weapons are either solid (air knife for offhand especially) or disappointing (mainly Polearm), but I can say the same about many REMAs too :)
[+]
 Asura.Kendlar
user: dropy
By Asura.Kendlar 2022-05-16 04:36:09  
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/19466/detail.html
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2022-05-16 04:37:52  
Wow, I can't believe we are getting a Classic server, UI overhaul, graphics update, a joined FFXIV subscription, an expansion, AND everyone gets 20 million gil! What a big surprise!
[+]
 Asura.Kendlar
By Asura.Kendlar 2022-05-16 04:50:17  
"In other battle content news, we're finally going to bring you Empyrean weapon reforging in two separate version updates"

Stood out for me, so i went and checked the JP version of the post with google translate and that spit out this:

"Regarding battles, I've kept you waiting very much, but I will implement further reworking of Empyrean costumes in two parts, summer and winter."

So they just messed up the translation it seems.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-16 04:55:35  
Well its obvious (just from context) translation error even without checking JP version, but I can already imagine several people bringing this up in 2023 and saying that SE promised us Empyrean WEAPONS upgrade!
[+]
 Asura.Kendlar
By Asura.Kendlar 2022-05-16 04:57:28  
"Anyhow, these past 20 years carry a lot of meaning for me as well, but I can’t indulge in the festivities forever. This is a milestone, after all, and not the finish line. The development and operations teams will strive onwards to our 25th year, 30th year, and beyond so that our adventurers may continue to visit Vana’diel at any time. Furthermore, this website will continue to be periodically updated during our 20th year, so please check back every now and then."

https://we-are-vanadiel.finalfantasyxi.com/post/?id=351&lang=en

Seems they are not planing to close down FFXI anytime soon. :)
[+]
By Aoibhe 2022-05-16 06:02:54  
Surely a basic requirement for being a translator at Square Enix would be to know the difference between weapons and armour... Hmmm...
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-16 06:21:23  
Quote:
In regard to profitable operations, hiring server engineers and other staff to work exclusively on FFXI around-the-clock the whole year round would increase its expenses. So in Creative Business Unit III, engineering fees are expensed under FFXIV, while the FFXI team can submit proposals for tasks that require engineers. Once a proposal has been reviewed and approved, we have the programmers estimate the costs and then have a discussion with them. If we asked them to focus on FFXI for three months, for example, then FFXI would only incur costs for those three months. This allows us to keep costs down and is one of the perks of overseeing two MMORPGs in our division.

100% guessed this is how it was being done
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-16 06:32:34  
It's also probably completely fail approach. Engineer that needs to jump to FFXI from FFXIV will probably lose tons of time in learning and analyzing the system or at least the part he will be changing (potentially lots of parts with spaghetti code). Full time FFXI engineer would probably be done with the task few times faster after getting some experience with the project.
Why not do it the other way around and hire someone to work with FFXI code and only if there is nothing to do, he would jump to help with FFXIV. The cost would be the same, but you would have at least one developer experienced with FFXI and finishing tasks faster.
[+]
By Nariont 2022-05-16 06:38:43  
Because 14 pays the bills while 11 is just a side project at this stage, better to have people who can quickly hop into 14's systems than it would be to have them knowledgeable on an older system like 11s
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-05-16 06:43:10  
KotR is also fusion, so Onion isn't the only sword WS with it.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2022-05-16 06:48:47  
Interview with Matsui and Fujito here: https://www.4gamer.net/games/005/G000546/20220511037/

We already knew most of this stuff, but worth the read.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-05-16 06:49:25  
SimonSes said: »
Yagyu Darkblade is more REMA than 90% of rema. It's totally gamebreaking for the job.

Is it? I keep hearing this, but I'm not entirely sure that I see it. Sure, the enmity gain is massive, so you can hold hate easily, but then what?

NIN isn't exactly positioned to tank a lot of endgame bosses because damage either wipes or bypasses shadows, at which point it's squishy even in full DT. There isn't a single t3 Odyssey NM I can think of that NIN could tank, for instance, and it could really only do a few of the t2/t1s. You can't really easily supertank either without some major changes to buffs (e.g. from the BRD), which would sacrifice group DPS. Even as a DPS in Sheol C, pulling large groups tends to mean a loss of shadows as a DD to AoE, making them entirely useless as a tank there. Since it has no ability to break the DT cap or mitigate damage the way a PLD or RUN could, it'd get eaten up quickly.

The utility is interesting, but it's offset by the enmity generation and the fact most jobs with shadows also /NIN for the sake of DW.

I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if this ends up being whatever NIN gets from the updated weapons. Aside from the novelty of it, without changes to the way shadows work, I only see it as being useful in very niche scenarios where a PLD or RUN could do just as well or better. I'd much rather see NIN weaponskills brought to the point we aren't depending on Naegling for physical damage when hybrids aren't an option.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-16 06:49:32  
It's also probably completely fail approach. Engineer that needs to jump to FFXI from FFXIV will probably lose tons of time in learning and analyzing the system or at least the part he will be changing (potentially lots of parts with spaghetti code). Full time FFXI engineer would probably be done with the task few times faster after getting some experience with the project.
Why not do it the other way around and hire someone to work with FFXI code and only if there is nothing to do, he would jump to help with FFXIV. The cost would be the same, but you would have at least one developer experienced with FFXI and finishing tasks faster.

It's evident from this that Square Enix views XI as a game that is fighting against entropy, will inevitably fail, and they're just keeping it alive as long as possible out of pride and to give as many people a chance to play it as possible. Theyre not going to hire dedicated engineers for it when they can hire more people to work on the more profitable project instead and just toss XIV people over at XI between expansions and major content patches.

Idk if I need to remind people again but square Enix is a business, and feelings only get you so far with shareholders. The fact that they're keeping XI going at all is about the most passion we can expect at this point.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-05-16 06:59:42  
Asura.Geriond said: »
KotR is also fusion, so Onion isn't the only sword WS with it.

Yeah, yeah I keep forgetting about Exca jobs, because in my mind I mostly connect this sword with BLU and DNC :P

It's worth to add that in theory it gives slashing/sword option for every job, which is kinda great. Even with sword skill just from sub, with 269skill, 30dex and 40acc on weapon you could use it in almost all content with right buffs (even with B skill from sub, its more accurate than TP bonus offhand with A+ and ML30 on main job)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-05-16 06:59:50  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
You can't really easily supertank either without some major changes to buffs (e.g. from the BRD), which would sacrifice group DPS.
Wait, if you mean "hold hate on multiple targets" then yes, you do need some specific SJ to tag stuff (like /BLU) but other than that NIN is arguably the best by spamming Utsusemi. Even without the Yagyu Darkblade you can use the Path C Divergence weapon, the enmity gains are insane.
You could say NIN in that regard (generating enmity) is better than RUN and PLD, well it depends of course.

The problem is not just enmity generation, it's more that even with an Evasion Build, you're gonna evade no more than 80% of hits coming at you. Which means 20% of hits would still hit you, and when you have like 15 targets on you then those shadows would be wiped pretty fast.
Even faster if some of those targets have double attack or dual wield.
And that's keeping AoE out of the scenario of course.
Because realistically, at least when Yonin is up, I think AoE stuff that would normally wipe all shadows, should rather have a chance to remove X shadows instead of all, then again SE doesn't agree with me so I guess this will never happen.

Anyway, I didn't want too argue too much against your point.
In general I think there's a lot of merit in what you're saying.
NIN can be a very original and interesting way to tank some stuff while doing damage, it can be effective (and requires a lot of gear/skill, if you ask me) on some content, but the same can be said about many other jobs that aren't "normally" tanks like, I dunno, MNK? WAR? DNC? BLU?
Sure, NIN has its perks, it's unique and I love it.
At the same time I don't really see NIN being efficient in tanking the "serious" stuff for which you sorta require a PLD or a RUN and that's it, period.

It's a shame but at this point I think SE gave up in trying to find the right balance between making NIN equal at taking as the other jobs while not making it too OP (defensive-wise) as a DD.
That's the key point and the reason why they're so afraid to buff some aspects of NIN, after all.
It's understandable if you ask me. They could only do that by reworking yonin and innin and adding better bonuses and worse maluses, but it's pretty clear they have no intention to do that, at this point.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-16 07:07:19  
Making Utsusemi much stronger would be dangerous, because when it works as it is it neutralizes the enemy. For instance, Halphas. Ever seen a NIN solo dd/tank that? Try it some time. It's funny.

Instead, put some PDTII or a new unique stat that boosts the evasion ceiling for the player on Kikoku Prime.
[+]
By Musashi232 2022-05-16 07:09:12  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Making utsusrmi much stronger would be dangerous, because when it works as it is it neutralizes the enemy. For instance, Halphas. Ever seen a NIN solo dd/tank that? Try it some time.

Instead, put some PDTII or a new unique stat that boosts the evasion ceiling for the player on Kikoku Prime.
no they should allow damage taken II -15% on only San magic is the problem with Ninja.
[+]
By Musashi232 2022-05-16 07:10:42  
Asura.Iamaman said: »

Is it? I keep hearing this, but I'm not entirely sure that I see it. Sure, the enmity gain is massive, so you can hold hate easily, but then what?

NIN isn't exactly positioned to tank a lot of endgame bosses because damage either wipes or bypasses shadows, at which point it's squishy even in full DT. There isn't a single t3 Odyssey NM I can think of that NIN could tank, for instance, and it could really only do a few of the t2/t1s. You can't really easily supertank either without some major changes to buffs (e.g. from the BRD), which would sacrifice group DPS. Even as a DPS in Sheol C, pulling large groups tends to mean a loss of shadows as a DD to AoE, making them entirely useless as a tank there. Since it has no ability to break the DT cap or mitigate damage the way a PLD or RUN could, it'd get eaten up quickly.

The utility is interesting, but it's offset by the enmity generation and the fact most jobs with shadows also /NIN for the sake of DW.

I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if this ends up being whatever NIN gets from the updated weapons. Aside from the novelty of it, without changes to the way shadows work, I only see it as being useful in very niche scenarios where a PLD or RUN could do just as well or better. I'd much rather see NIN weaponskills brought to the point we aren't depending on Naegling for physical damage when hybrids aren't an option.

the point is to always be on Second Tthreat or first, while u support your party with free shadows
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2022-05-16 07:19:17  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Making Utsusemi much stronger would be dangerous
I'm aware of that, they're aware of that.
It's the reason why NIN's tanking is in the current situation.
I mean, it couldn't be any other way. It's an ability that, when it works, completely negates any sort of damage incoming, how the *** do you "balance" that lol?
Still, us players have been developing some interesting ideas through the years but SE isn't listening.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-16 07:23:21  
Idk I think Kikoku Prime as a tanking weapon would be quite interesting anyway. NIN can likely never be the "hordes of monsters" tank like pld and run, but it can be the small numbers/big nm tank that uniquely deals ***loads of magic damage.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
サーバ: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-16 07:24:06  
Asura.Sechs said: »
how the *** do you "balance" that lol?
AoE attacks aplenty and Silence.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2022-05-16 07:28:29  
Well its obvious (just from context) translation error even without checking JP version, but I can already imagine several people bringing this up in 2023 and saying that SE promised us Empyrean WEAPONS upgrade!
wouldn't be surprised, since that's what they said
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-05-16 07:42:55  
Yeah, yeah I keep forgetting about Exca jobs, because in my mind I mostly connect this sword with BLU and DNC :P
Honestly, I think it suits RDM better than those two jobs since FBII's medium-high fTP and fTP transfer synergizes incredibly with Temper II. Offhanding Thib, a single temper II proc puts it at 19.375-25 fTP and two procs puts it at 27.125-35.

On another note, OBIII's Japanese name is True Onion Sword instead of just tacking on a number, and I wish we had gotten that name instead.
[+]
By Nariont 2022-05-16 07:53:41  
Scaling DTII based on number of shadows lost in the event of an aoe was one of the ideas thrown around that seemed pretty reasonable as far as nins shadiw problems went.

Single target/multiple targets id like to see them boost nins parry rate similar to how runs is via inquarta, unlikely either of these happen but itd be nice
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-16 08:06:25  
If y'all still want NIN to be a tank, its going to take changes in the battles we fight more than a change to the job. Just like there are moments where we must use certain DDs due to resistances the enemy possesses (think Odyssey and damage types- either you "follow the rules" or you don't win due to those resistances), if SE released some brutal mob that hit like a freight train even against an Epeo or Burt, but lacked AoE attacks, then shadows become viable again.

I view the current state of large fights as a direct answer to how we as players made NIN a tank in a way SE didn't either expect nor want. As a result, AoE shadow-wiping attacks became the norm rather than an occasional happening.

It does suck for people who love the job- I completely agree that SE just doesn't know what to do with NIN. But if anything is changed on NIN to make them an equivalent tank to PLD or RUN, we'd be foolish as players not to then try and force it into any situation over the other options, so I just don't think SE can make that viable. I'd rather see specific fights that need unique tools that NIN has rather than changing NIN to work anywhere.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 277 278 279 ... 424 425 426