The History Of Final Fantasy XI.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
The History Of Final Fantasy XI.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2022-05-20 22:32:38  
After the usual delays and missed deadlines I gave myself, I just released 2013. If you have not heard about this, please visit the project's main page to see what this is all about.

This year ended up somehow being double the size of 2012. I believe the years might be getting smaller from here, however. FFXIV was now out in 2013, so focus shifted away from FFXI. I pushed to get done this week because this is the 20th anniversary and there may be returning players who did not know this existed. TLDR; This is essentially a much more detailed version of SE's history they made for the We Are Vana'diel website.

Usual disclaimer: If anything seems wrong or missing please let me know. The further we get, the more opinions that you all might have. If you have corrections, opinions, or reactions to events you believe should be included just let me know.

Future Plans
  • I did mention that I wanted to work on formatting. This is still the plan at some point, but I want to shift the project over to an actual website (which is http://www.ffxihistory.com), which naturally will reformat everything anyway. This probably will not happen until after I finish 2014, 2015, and 2016.

• I mentioned before that I was going to work on "The History of Playonline" before 2013. Obviously this did not happen, but it is still an intented project. It will not be nearly as detailed, but I have gathered a lot of interesting sources/information that others might find fascinating.

• I have a lot of backlogs of things I want to finish on the wiki before I continue onto 2014.

Enjoy!
[+]
By Rips 2022-05-21 01:00:36  
Wooooooo! This stuff is great. Thanks as always!
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2022-05-22 07:35:46  
Rips said: »
Wooooooo! This stuff is great. Thanks as always!
Thank you for continuing to read!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [379 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-06-05 13:44:01  
This is not a bump to announce 2014's release, but I am putting most of my free time into it. I am shooting to get it out before the end of the month!

I am bumping to say that I was on the Level Sync podcast discussing my history project, the good old days with some nostalgia, and a bit about BGWiki.

If you are interested in listening, here is the episode embedded below.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Ragnarok.Trixi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2023-06-06 14:55:31  
Good stuff Funk. Just want to reiterate how appreciated your work on this is.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [44 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-20 12:06:09  
2014 is finally completed! Take any ETAs I put out and add at least 4 months for the accurate release date.

If you have not heard about this, please visit the project's main page to see what this is all about.

Like previous entries, the file sizes keep growing. This year it was thanks to random adventurer campaigns that SE began to run, as well as a version update every month of 2014. I was thinking this year would be a breeze, but that might not happen for a couple more years.

Usual disclaimer: If anything seems wrong or missing please let me know. If you have corrections, opinions, or reactions you believe should be included just let me know. In particular, I would like missing feedback on job adjustments that I may have overlooked.

Future Plans: I am still planning on continuing this project even though TVR is now finished. Even though I imagined I would be finished by now, I still envision it being completed some day so that it can be updated as version updates occur.

Enjoy!

TLDR; This is essentially a much more detailed version of SE's history they made for the We Are Vana'diel website.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-07-20 12:20:27  
Thanks for this - I love reading this stuff
[+]
By NotInspctrgdget 2023-07-20 13:49:46  
Freudian slip?

[Mod Edit: image removed because no longer needed, and contains a slur.]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-20 13:55:08  
Good old typos. It was supposed to be flag. Thank you for pointing that out.
[+]
By NotInspctrgdget 2023-07-20 13:56:14  
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »

I'm also thinking you meant to use the word "oblivious" right before that too.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-20 13:58:37  
NotInspctrgdget said: »
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »

I'm also thinking you meant to use the word "oblivious" right before that too.

I reworked that entire sentence. It must have been one of those late night crunch marathons.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
サーバ: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-07-20 16:01:29  
Thanks for this, I was up late reading one night and ran across it, it's a great and very detailed history of the game.

One thing I've wondered about: over the years it seems like there were mass bans that aren't well documented or recorded. Since SE doesn't always address these directly and only uses obscure wording, I'm wondering how many of these have been forgotten to time.

The Salvage bans were obviously high profile and well remembered, but I seem to recall others including one involving Bubbling Bernie before the clocks were made R/Ex. Does anyone remember others and have details on them?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2023-07-20 16:33:30  
I would actually like to see dupes that were used, exploited, then patched. Things like
Rusty Cap/Light Cap fishing
Tavnazia Gear that you could buy from an npc and sell back for a profit
Salvage/Nyzul drops
[+]
 Ragnarok.Trixi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Trixi
By Ragnarok.Trixi 2023-07-20 17:12:31  
I know that rusty caps and salvage bans have already included in their relevant years.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-20 21:32:36  
I have covered all of the big duping/exploits and big bans that I have ran across in the forum history that I read through while making these entries.

Some of the minor ones might not have been covered just because I don't know about them. If anyone knows of a wave that I missed, I will gladly add it! I have more exploits in my history resources ready to add when I eventually get to those points in time.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-07-20 21:35:48  
2015 has a "big" banwave in it, so there's that. Right in the beginning of the year.

(lots of incidents really, lol) They "turned on the auto detection"
[+]
By Minaras84 2023-07-21 03:32:23  
Oh wow, i never knew about this.
Im going thru 2002 right now haha
Only one thing, it says that in june 24th 2002 monsters were made unable to attack players on chocobo.
Are we sure this is correct?
I started playing in April 2004 and i still remember being attacked by goblins while mounting my chocobo and praying i could make it alive.
I remember you would still aggro, and mobs would slow down your chocobo until eventually the chocobo would run away leaving you alone facing your destiny.
I think this has been changed much later.
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2023-07-21 05:18:18  
You remembered wrong. AoEs could still hit you, if I recall correctly, but you never got aggro. Definitely nothing about slowing down your chocobo.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2023-07-21 08:56:28  
Reading through this brings back such nostalgia but also the headache this game use to be lol.

Still remember that patch where the campaign npcs were nerfed and those following weeks the towns stayed under attacked and we couldn’t get ***done.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-21 09:29:27  
Asura.Suteru said: »
You remembered wrong. AoEs could still hit you, if I recall correctly, but you never got aggro. Definitely nothing about slowing down your chocobo.
I do vaguely remember getting hit by AOEs so powerful that they killed you on a chocobo. It was a great time dismounting and immediately keeling over.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-07-21 13:20:35  
Ah, old XI, where the entire world teemed with dangers most brutal.
[+]
By Taint 2023-07-21 13:45:27  
Amazing work, what a crazy trip reading about the past.

Bravo!!
[+]
By Draylo 2023-07-21 17:08:30  
Probably somewhere, but I remember this weird thing they used to have in the game. You could go afk and semi log out to this screen, and people could "knock" to get your attention. I guess it just vanished lol
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
サーバ: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2023-07-21 19:26:03  
Wow I didn't know this project existed. Way to keep the history alive.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-22 00:31:12  
Valefor.Philemon said: »
Wow I didn't know this project existed. Way to keep the history alive.
Thank you for checking it out! Good luck not getting lost in a nostalgia trip.
By ryukin182 2023-07-22 00:42:10  
100% showing my wife this, she'll remember everything up to the 2013 version, great job man
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2023-07-22 09:36:47  
ryukin182 said: »
100% showing my wife this, she'll remember everything up to the 2013 version, great job man
I hope she enjoys it! Thank you for sharing.